Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Astral Rag

Arcane
Tender Loving Care for 1,49€

Don't mind if I do.

ss_597b43e5723a0bf219ada73ea2db6ff69d189a70.1920x1080.jpg

129AF6FFEF1AC0FFFD5A5ECE9330BA57D0F5F5E2
ss_8e8f13a66de1ba8be2debb56237b9f1731b10a3b.jpg

:roll:

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Only games that get steep discounts are shitty AAA games that flop. Other than that this sale is as bad as the last half dozen or so Steam 'sales.'

Don Peste

Arcane
C'mon, there must be something good we can buy... :(

Released two months ago and -75% already. Is there a hidden message here?

Hasn't been on sale since 2014.

Historical Lowest Price, DS2 too.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Released two months ago and -75% already. Is there a hidden message here?

I've watched the publisher Strabreeze's last Interim Report livestream, and they said the game's sales were disappointing. They admitted that the high price point was a major factor in the failure, but they can't change the price at this point because of Steam regulations and respect to early purchasers and such... and now we see how they get away with it.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Only games that get steep discounts are shitty AAA games that flop. Other than that this sale is as bad as the last half dozen or so Steam 'sales.'
It's not that they're bad, it's that they're exactly the same. Every single sale lowers the same games by exactly the same percentage, and since there's a sale every couple of months there's never a feel that "gotta grab it now this is the best deal I'll see". Unless you know you'll play the game before the next sale you can always grab it then. It's all kinda pointless really.

Everyone says this is the shit when it comes to WW2 wargames. I just got it for 70% off. Let's see.

I played it when it first came out and still have it. I thought it played way too much like World war 1, with huge lines of units facing each other and slugging it out instead of an operational world war II game. Supposedly that is not true anymore, but I have no come back to play it yet. I often think about it, then realize I don't have a month vacation time, but only the weekend.

I like detail, but I think its a bit overboard and some of the choices did not seem to matter much despite being fun to do. stuff like attaching a stug company to division--- it was hard to tell how much it actually mattered and I got the feeling it probably did not meaningfully change how the division behaved. I had that feeling about many things in the game..very opaque. OTOH, I may simply have not put enough time into the game to actually fully understand it properly...

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Everyone says this is the shit when it comes to WW2 wargames. I just got it for 70% off. Let's see.

I played it when it first came out and still have it. I thought it played way too much like World war 1, with huge lines of units facing each other and slugging it out instead of an operational world war II game. Supposedly that is not true anymore, but I have no come back to play it yet. I often think about it, then realize I don't have a month vacation time, but only the weekend.

I like detail, but I think its a bit overboard and some of the choices did not seem to matter much despite being fun to do. stuff like attaching a stug company to division--- it was hard to tell how much it actually mattered and I got the feeling it probably did not meaningfully change how the division behaved. I had that feeling about many things in the game..very opaque. OTOH, I may simply have not put enough time into the game to actually fully understand it properly...

I've began playing (!) the tutorial and read through the separate tutorial manual, and reached page 60 of the nearly 400 pages game manual. They've done a big number of updates since the 2013 release, so let's see. I also saw a part of a 1hr long intro video by an informed wargamer youtuber, where he was doing some interesting pincer movements, encircling a number of soviet divisions. His name was something onomatopoeic, pewepewchewchew or something.

Regarding the free time, I'm taking three weeks off in December. Should be enough reach and take Moscow, right? :D

I've began playing (!) the tutorial and read through the separate tutorial manual, and reached page 60 of the nearly 400 pages game manual. They've done a big number of updates since the 2013 release, so let's see. I also saw a part of a 1hr long intro video by an informed wargamer youtuber, where he was doing some interesting pincer movements, encircling a number of soviet divisions. His name was something onomatopoeic, pewepewchewchew or something.

Regarding the free time, I'm taking three weeks off in December. Should be enough reach and take Moscow, right? :D

I saw they wrote a very detailed step by step Demo, and seeing that makes me cnsider giving it another try. It has been changed and upgraded dramatically since it came out, and I have watched videos where it appears to play in a much more fluid manner than when I first attempted it. Its very possible I also was just playing it very poorly. I literally payed it the day it came out.

From what I recall, if you don't take Moscow by the time it starts to get cold and snow you likely never will, which is true to life it seems. Also if you are not surrounding enormous pockets of soviets and pushing ahead furiously, you will never make Moscow, or so I have heard.

Okay, now you are making me want to start playing it again...

mastroego

Arcane
Trying again since I mis-posted this

What about Age of Wonders + DLCs at 20€?
I wasn't going to buy a game of this genre this time, but I hear good things about it. I also hear AoW has always been very weak on the strategic layer (which sucks), while its excels on the tactical one.
Codex consensus?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Trying again since I mis-posted this

What about Age of Wonders + DLCs at 20€?
I wasn't going to buy a game of this genre this time, but I hear good things about it. I also hear AoW has always been very weak on the strategic layer (which sucks), while its excels on the tactical one.
Codex consensus?

If you like turn-based fantasy combat, AoW3 is pretty much the prime meat of the genre right now. If you prefer the strategy side of things, like managing an empire and what not, go with Endless Legends.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom