Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

My issue is not graphic per se, we are talking about a remaster we pay for, who is supposed to make an old game pleasant for modern times.
It is a total different argument you edgy clone
You need moduhrn graphics for a game to be pleasant these days? What the fuck are you? Is this the 'Dex? NWNs graphics are perfectly serviceable as they are now, and this remake is a fucking cashgrab and nothing more, you looking for a justification for it, or, oh my sides, for paying for it are laughable. Just GTFO.

No we need a reason to make of this a true remastered since is a game with great potential regarding even custom module creation... A thing is update 2d games that still looks good after all this time another is have a game where character hands are actually bricks and feet are shaped triangles and creatures same made of colored rock stich togheter with a douchtape.... The game looks plain awful right after all this time at the point that maybe do a proper graphic remaster not only could inject new life but could also bring new people to create content....

You say go play skyrim? i say go play minecraft you cube fetish man clueless berk! :P

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
NWN OC's Chapter 1 isn't even bad, it's just that it's painfully formulaic and it wouldn't even be too bad because of that, it's just that every other chapter works off the same formula. I liked the world building that was done in the city, where you have those four districts that each have a distinct theme to them and are ever so slightly different, even if all the content is buried under masses of trashmobs. There's even some cute stuff like being able to enter a shady tavern only if you're wearing a Bloody Pirate uniform (or, well, if you pay). It's on the level of those "wow" little detials that everyone seems to love about old RPGs, like when in Fallout you can recruit Dogmeat by showing yourself in an appropriate piece of clothing. There was pretty decent potential in that campaign, it's just that it was stretched out as much as possible to make the marketing blurb of "840328432 hours of campaign!".

It still has some strong moments like that moment in Chapter 2 where you go into a mansion that's lost in time and have to decide who is guilty, or when you go into a snow globe and have to rotate it a few times to unlock the entire storyline. But yeah, when the entire campaign is "go to four places, retrieve four items, move on to finale zone, repeat ad infinitum", it is just hard to finish. I don't necessarily regret having played it, though the only way I'd replay it is by playing it co-op.

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
Why are you people complaining? All the old mods will work. They are going to keep on expanding the tools and making them work better, so people will create new content. You'll be able to play old content or new content and do whatever you want. If you wanna skip the OC and just play fan-created stuff, you can. If you wanna skip the DLC they make, and just continue with fan-created content, you can.

You don't have to buy the extra content they make, and you don't have to buy any of the DLC. Just get the regular Enhanced Edition and you can play only the content you want.

This is the greatest thing since 9/11.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Because what could possible get better? think about it the models are what they are and they are made by multiple piece glued togheter how can possible to be mide new character or creature models in a single model instead composed by pieces? the graphic will never get better it is nwn1 all over again with shaders.... But we have nwn2 that is actually better and allows even to develop more things modding and module talking.

Cael

Arcane
NWN OC's Chapter 1 isn't even bad, it's just that it's painfully formulaic and it wouldn't even be too bad because of that, it's just that every other chapter works off the same formula. I liked the world building that was done in the city, where you have those four districts that each have a distinct theme to them and are ever so slightly different, even if all the content is buried under masses of trashmobs. There's even some cute stuff like being able to enter a shady tavern only if you're wearing a Bloody Pirate uniform (or, well, if you pay). It's on the level of those "wow" little detials that everyone seems to love about old RPGs, like when in Fallout you can recruit Dogmeat by showing yourself in an appropriate piece of clothing. There was pretty decent potential in that campaign, it's just that it was stretched out as much as possible to make the marketing blurb of "840328432 hours of campaign!".

It still has some strong moments like that moment in Chapter 2 where you go into a mansion that's lost in time and have to decide who is guilty, or when you go into a snow globe and have to rotate it a few times to unlock the entire storyline. But yeah, when the entire campaign is "go to four places, retrieve four items, move on to finale zone, repeat ad infinitum", it is just hard to finish. I don't necessarily regret having played it, though the only way I'd replay it is by playing it co-op.
One of the worst things for me about the OC of NWN is the sheer number of random crates lying around, and the bloody delay in lockpicking. It drives a completionist like me mad picking every single one to get at their contents.

And then we have the sheer number of potions and healer kits. If you play a fighter type, you can basically run through most of the game without stopping or resting once. It gets even more ludicrous at higher levels because you start getting Heal potions. The game just throws the things at you. I remember playing a Dwarven Bard/Ftr/RDD (nicknamed the Little Ball of Death) and just steamrolled EVERYTHING. I don't recall a single fight in the whole OC that gave me trouble. It was just long and slow and tedious especially before I laid my hands on a pair of Boots of Speed.

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
Trent even said on the stream that the Enhanced Edition is not about bringing back the OC. It has actually nothing to do with the OC. He actually said they dropped the ball on the OC when they originally made it. He said the Enhanced Edition is about sustaining and injecting life back into the community and using Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition as a platform for future content.

So yeah, he hopes that his team will be able to create premium modules in the future and sell them as DLC. But you DO NOT have to buy them. Players will create plenty of free content that you will be able to play, AND they will also create persistent worlds that you will be able to join and enjoy.

That's what I'm looking forward to the most. And it will run on pretty much anything, including integrated graphics.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Honestly the single player campaign of nwn1 was the most boring i ever played... it felt more like an hack and slash than a proper rpg.. What saved nwn1 was the user created content that extended his life for years.... But if the game was released with no toolset and no dm clients stay sure that was quickly forgotten.. Also i utterly lack to see how this enhanced edition is a bless for content creator... what offers? Deph of field?.... Shading?... Support for better texture? If you put better texture in those models you will only have better colored animated rock pieces is not possible to improve those awful model if first you don't remodel them....

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
One of the worst things for me about the OC of NWN is the sheer number of random crates lying around, and the bloody delay in lockpicking. It drives a completionist like me mad picking every single one to get at their contents.

And then we have the sheer number of potions and healer kits. If you play a fighter type, you can basically run through most of the game without stopping or resting once. It gets even more ludicrous at higher levels because you start getting Heal potions. The game just throws the things at you. I remember playing a Dwarven Bard/Ftr/RDD (nicknamed the Little Ball of Death) and just steamrolled EVERYTHING. I don't recall a single fight in the whole OC that gave me trouble. It was just long and slow and tedious especially before I laid my hands on a pair of Boots of Speed.
Agree to all that, and also, OTOH, my first playthrough was a Dex-based Rogue and I regretted that immensely, because most of the OC enemies are immune to sneak attacks and Weapon Finesse-style just does little damage without strength. However, I did manage to one-shot a lot of bosses with traps, including Klauth without de-powering, and UMD lets you use stuff like high level spell scrolls, so it wasn't all bad. I do wish that NWN in general gave more support towards Rogue types, but there are modules for that.

Though I also think that playing OC with the Prestige Classes might not necessarily be what the developers intended because they first popped up in SoU. Of course, it probably doesn't matter much - you can just go Ftr/Brb with a zweihander and achieve roughly the same results.

Cael

Arcane
Agree to all that, and also, OTOH, my first playthrough was a Dex-based Rogue and I regretted that immensely, because most of the OC enemies are immune to sneak attacks and Weapon Finesse-style just does little damage without strength. However, I did manage to one-shot a lot of bosses with traps, including Klauth without de-powering, and UMD lets you use stuff like high level spell scrolls, so it wasn't all bad. I do wish that NWN in general gave more support towards Rogue types, but there are modules for that.

Though I also think that playing OC with the Prestige Classes might not necessarily be what the developers intended because they first popped up in SoU. Of course, it probably doesn't matter much - you can just go Ftr/Brb with a zweihander and achieve roughly the same results.
In the expansions, UMD allows you to use quite a few items that Fighters would kill to get, including Deekin's reptilian only necklace of +4 Strength, and +7 gnome/dwarf only armour. There was few, if any, such items in the OC, so it didn't matter as much.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I know it may seem trivial.

But I hate this font.

It make the game look like those early Windows games using native windows UI elements. When, say, Skyrim uses modern font instead of old bookish fantasy one - at least it's a font that supports HD and antialiasing and it's not burned into my pupils. That font is generic font made for low-res screens. Whatever they do to UI it will still look horrible as long as it reads like that.

Cael

Arcane
I know it may seem trivial.

But I hate this font.

It make the game look like those early Windows games using native windows UI elements. When, say, Skyrim uses modern font instead of old bookish fantasy one - at least it's a font that supports HD and antialiasing and it's not burned into my pupils. That font is generic font made for low-res screens. Whatever they do to UI it will still look horrible as long as it reads like that.
My friend, allow me to introduce you to:
diablo-heavy.png

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

By the way i think for sure i will stick with my diamond edition with 20 euro i could buy so much better games that is not even worthing... I am actually curious if they really think this thing will be successful...

For sure they will not gain new people with that outdated graphic... And being so costly and no different so much from the regular edition i really doubt many of the old owner of neverwinter nights will buy again the game for an highly expensive price like that...

Sometimes i really fail to understean certain decisions..

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Well after looking at the stream for a bit, i have to ask... Are they playing on their version or did they just download mods so that they had something to showcase? Because if they did it looks like the missed out on a few of the graphic improvement mods. In the end i won't buy this crap. Honestly people that scam others put more efforts into things then what beamdogs have done for this "enhanced" version.

I have not had any real problems with this game for any of the versions. The "DoF" setting... who cares? Scaleable ui? Who cares?

There could be a few things that could get this better and they won't do any of them from the looks of it:
*Improve the script of the game to make it run faster
*Improve the base OC
*Allow character control
*Fix some of the hard scripted limitations on classes, races and other stuff like that.
*Improve the engine itself to allow it to handle more "objects" with higher details with more scripts.
*Add extra improvements to the online games

Then extra things:
*Improve the graphic (models / textures)
*More options and fixes / changes for the interface

But i guess its easier to just press ctrl c ctrl v and then claim it as your own. increase the price and roll around in money?

Another thing they haven't even fixed was the environment audio. EAX sound has been broken for years as nothing can run EAX anymore unless you have a real sound card, or use that Soundblaster software Creative ALchemy.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
He said the Enhanced Edition is about sustaining and injecting life back into the community and using Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition as a platform for future content.
this scam will never bring back life to an already decomposed corpse. there's simply no target audience beside diehard fans who already bought this game for the umpteenth time. the graphics alone will shoo the majority of "modern" crpg players. there's no real interest in the dm mode, just look at dos2. persistant worlds were always a niche, even in nwn's heyday. all they'll achieve will be a fragmentation of the already small community left. active modders will buy the ee, only to use area instancing, bug fixes and the handful of new scripting functions.
this means that after release you have to own the ee to play updated or newly released mods. on the other side not everybody will buy this schlock. but every modder taking advantage of the "enhancements" will inevitably cut the player base. there's no win win situation here.

Last edited:
Morrowind Remastered Edition - I'm releasing it two weeks.
1 - Uses the community patch, and fixes
2 - I have added a single new texture somewhere in the game
3 - Runs on Modern Systems

Deleted member 7219

What amazes me is how as of late they can't seem to make these games sound as good as the old stuff, I mean what's the excuse for a game to SOUND worse than a mid 90s title

And when it's not a matter of fucking up with horrible new music it's a matter of retarded decisions, NWN is also a prime example of this. I used to love the main theme, it had such a mysterious atmosphere to it, paired with the black background and the eye-thing that is the logo. Creating a character was probably the best part of NWN OC because of the atmospheric music playing while you make your choices

Then they replaced it with this for the Diamond edition

Ruined the atmosphere totally.

Check this for another recent :prosper: example

I love the HotU theme.

imweasel

Even though the modules and mods are better, there's nothing wrong with giving up after the OC, which is rubbish.
The OC is indeed pretty MEH, but anybody who hasn't played the Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark expansions are missing out. They are really good.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
If they REALLY want to earn the ENHANCED meme they need to ENHANCE Aribeth's bewbs. :)

P.S. SOU is the worst NWN official campaign. It is not good. At all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom