Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Tom Selleck

Arcane
In terms of upgrading / expanding the player base how is this worth the same as buying the Diamond Edition 2x and gifting one to a friend?

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
They are not touching the character models from the original campaigns or DLC, because they don't want to break mods that use the original models. But they will be making new content with updated graphics and models. The new content will be in addition to, not in place of, the original content.

passerby

Arcane
I've said it before, gog probably has some exclusivity deal on these games and these enchanced editions are a loophole to get them on steam.

Also with NWN being a modern 3d game, they can make EE that is an absolute slamdunk and a joke, that costs nothing to make - like their MDK 2 overhaul.

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Did they do any market research at all into this? I can't remember ever seeing any waves of nostalgia from the CRPG community about NWN (more like disdain). I think DOS2 has a DM mode but none of the reviews/opinions I've read have been people jumping up and down about that and begging for more of the same. People who were into NWN in a big way probably have all the mods installed they'll ever need and everyone else deinstalled it over a decade ago. So who exactly is this targeted at?"

Dude. You read to moko Codex and assukme the opinion is shared by everyone. NWN didn't have 2 expansions, a sequel, games trying to copy it because it was unpopular. Even the fukkin' Codex still spams about it. You are retartet.

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
NWN was a great game. Some of my best multiplayer gaming experiences were with that game. This Enhanced Edition will bring it all together and make it playable, easily, on my XPS 13. They will add new content, and all the old mods will still work, plus it will encourage people to make new stuff. They are fixing bugs and working with people who ran/run persistent worlds. They aren't editing the old content, other than improving some graphics performance and bug fixes. They will add new content later, which is totally optional. (that might be where the trannies come in, but again, optional) There is nothing really negative about this at all.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Maybe i am getting old but i fail to see how this version is enhanced what we are paying for? a new Ui? Post Processing?

I mean is neverwinter nights and looks almost identical to the regual edition.. same texture same squared hands and triangle feet at least give slightly better graphic.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
It'll be good for the community to have the "No Steam - No buy" on-board again.

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
Maybe i am getting old but i fail to see how this version is enhanced what we are paying for? a new Ui? Post Processing?

I mean is neverwinter nights and looks almost identical to the regual edition.. same texture same squared hands and triangle feet at least give slightly better graphic.

The better graphics will only be in the new content. They will be making more modern, more advanced models in the new content. The original models in the original content will not be touched so as not to break mods that use them.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The better graphics will only be in the new content. They will be making more modern, more advanced models in the new content. The original models in the original content will not be touched so as not to break mods that use them.

Where did you get that from ?

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I 'd rather have them remaster the base models and prefabs in stylised low-poly to be honest, which would be the only way to embellish while respecting them.
The many good mods out there need deserve more love than any new content those guys are brewing...

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
I 'd rather have them remaster the base models and prefabs in stylised low-poly to be honest, which would be the only way to embellish while respecting them.
The many good mods out there need deserve more love than any new content those guys are brewing...
They said that this is not about them making new content, but about revitalizing the community and breathing some life into it.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I don't know honestly pay all that money for "apparent" improvments seems like a joke to me.... If they give in detail what is possible to do with this enhanced edition is a thing... But if we are stick with the same multy pieces body geometric models washed out blurry textures seems to me is a bit of a joke.

I usually don't mind subpar graphic... but in 3d rendered game i expect at least a basic level of quality.

soulburner

Cipher
Summary of my views on this, if anyone cares ;)

- the changes to make the game run hassle free on Windows 10 is a big thing. I always had problems with the game not starting up, displaying a blank screen and other weird issues. Currently it stopped starting up at all on my main PC with no real reason, as I skipped the Fall Creators Update
- the fact that the EE is not being released in the current state and they are waiting for players to tell them what to do with it makes it interesting. If the community embraces the project it might become something actually good in the near future
- the price sucks. I think the EE should be free for owners of the original/diamond edition, similarly to enhanced versions of games like The Witcher 1 and 2, Divinity: Original Sin, etc.
- I watched a tiny bit of the stream and I saw them saying the UI scaling is unavailable in 1080p resolution. I find the UI too small in that res and would like to be able to control scaling freely, not superficially limited by the resolution. Also, if they didn't update the images making up the UI and simply upscale them with bilinear filtering and we get larger but blurry UI, shame on them.
- as I probably mentioned somewhere before, I hope they make the dialog window more custimizable. I hate how it's stuck in the left top corner and so small. Let me move it, resize it and smoothly control the font size
- I hope the changes they made to the engine don't make the performance drop too much. I know modern computers are SO much faster than the ones from the time the game originally released but I value old games because they run so well on my laptop's integrated graphics

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It'll be good for the community to have the "No Steam - No buy" on-board again.

How's that good for any community?
Do you really expect an influx of new modules from people who never bought the game until now?

and I saw them saying the UI scaling is unavailable in 1080p resolution.

:what:

What resolution is it available on, then?
Beamdog still can't into resolutions apparently, with all their other brilliant EEs being locked to your desktop resolution.

Sizzle

Arcane
- the price sucks. I think the EE should be free for owners of the original/diamond edition, similarly to enhanced versions of games like The Witcher 1 and 2, Divinity: Original Sin, etc.

Giving it away for free would defeat the entire purpose of this cash grab hack job.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Do you really expect an influx of new modules from people who never bought the game until now?

Nope, just more unique hits on my blog from the plebs. But srsly, the more people playing it the better. No one is likely to create something comparable to Swordflight or Aielund (both 10 years in the making).

soulburner

Cipher
and I saw them saying the UI scaling is unavailable in 1080p resolution.

:what:

What resolution is it available on, then?
Beamdog still can't into resolutions apparently, with all their other brilliant EEs being locked to your desktop resolution.
If I recall correctly, 2x scaling is available at 1920x1200 and up, 4x scaling at 4K :|

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
- I hope the changes they made to the engine don't make the performance drop too much. I know modern computers are SO much faster than the ones from the time the game originally released but I value old games because they run so well on my laptop's integrated graphics

They said it will work fine on even the oldest integrated graphics cards when it comes out. They said some of the newer optional content they release later will perhaps increase the system requirements due to having higher res textures and improved graphics.

But the game, when it comes out, should run on a potato.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Well i have a love for nwn i used to play nice full roleplay persistent worlds back in the day living such wonderful adventure. Remastering the game could had been a good thing problem is we are not even sure what this remaster will be about. Is true there are a lot of beautiful modules to play still today for neverwinter nights.. But is also true i think such mod creators would be happy to have the game fleshed out with some graphic improvments...

For what we know for now seems just a crash grab.

Cael

Arcane
They said it will work fine on even the oldest integrated graphics cards when it comes out. They said some of the newer optional content they release later will perhaps increase the system requirements due to having higher res textures and improved graphics.
Cash grab senses... tingling!

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Something I said a while back:

The problem with updating NWN is that the scope for improvement is endless. There's no excuse of missing 2D art assets to allow you to focus your efforts. Do you start making ultra-HD models for everything? It would be a potentially monumental undertaking.

When you can upgrade anything, where do you even start? For a small company, the easiest choice may be to start by updating nothing and then see what the community demands.
This. From the Twitch thing I figured they would be moving to a "games as a service thing." What they really intend to do is to keep updating and sell DLCs as they go. Eventually, I am pretty sure they will intentionally break compatibility with the old NWN.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom