Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 - now with lootbox drama

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
PRC will be easy to spot mate. If game have a half million Chinese downvotes it will be them. When PRC does something it does it in full force. The Chinese review bombing is a bunch of rich people hating something in the game.
Could be anything the government doesn't like. Make a game that make a referrence to Tienamen, for example, and see what happens. Or call Taiwan a separate country.

But the real issue is that the resulting outrage is FAKE. It is a China government organised effort, not the spontaneous outraged screaming of fans. That's the problem.

I have had dealing with the Mainlander community over here. They are uniformly brainwashed into thinking that China is the greatest, their government is the greatest, China owns everything from Nepal to Taiwan, all of the stuff that the China government want people to believe, and history basically takes a dump on. They are believers in a lie that make them the only good guys in the world. It is basically watching a bunch of maladjusted arrogant sociopaths screaming their heads off about their "rights" on a national scale.
I don't think it is a lie to be honest. At the moment China is the greatest power on the planet both military and industry. Taiwan is a Chinese island filled with Chinese people,it just have different government that is at odds(hate more like it) with the PRC. Also they do own Tibet no amount of retarded monks burning themself will change that. If you have problem with those facts you are free to pick weapon and go fight them. This is like people whining that Crimea is not Russian and all that butthurt crap. Also i do thing authoritarian rule is the best form of rule. China and Russia are proof of that. China certainly have great capable government if it is able to accomplish so many things. While america is in constant decline past 30 years. I would personally emigrate to China than any western countries,hypothetically. Also i don't see nothing wrong with people living their country,after all i am nationalist.

Cael

Arcane
I don't think it is a lie to be honest. At the moment China is the greatest power on the planet both military and industry. Taiwan is a Chinese island filled with Chinese people,it just have different government that is at odds(hate more like it) with the PRC. Also they do own Tibet no amount of retarded monks burning themself will change that. If you have problem with those facts you are free to pick weapon and go fight them. This is like people whining that Crimea is not Russian and all that butthurt crap. Also i do thing authoritarian rule is the best form of rule. China and Russia are proof of that. China certainly have great capable government if it is able to accomplish so many things. While america is in constant decline past 30 years. I would personally emigrate to China than any western countries,hypothetically. Also i don't see nothing wrong with people living their country,after all i am nationalist.
Historically, China belongs to Taiwan, not the other way around as the government of Taiwan is the last legitimately elected government of China ;)

My objections are two-fold:
1) It is not truthful. Their outrage is manufactured. Their history revisionist. Their dealings deceptive. It is a carefully managed illusion of how the rest of the world has wronged them and they are the victims. None of that is true. In fact, they are the biggest bullies around at the moment. Note that none of this has anything to do with their actual strength.
2) Arrogance. I cannot stand the kind of arrogance that the Mainlanders exhibit. They want everything their way, to the point they are demanding that history is taught their way in other countries because the true history does not conform to their version of it. Otherwise, they are taking photos and videos and posting it online. Does that remind you of any other group? I certainly does point me at SJWs. Which of course, puts them in just about the worst category of subhumans I can place anyone in.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stop buying their games then. It is not up to the media to set prices. It is up to the consumers. If you think the prices are too high, stop buying! It is that simple. You couldn't force me to buy Skyrim when it first came out, nor Siege of Dragonspear, nor any EA sports crap from the year dot. I didn't like the way they took things or I didn't like the company ethics, so I didn't give them my money.

Yelling and typing furiously isn't going to stop the bastards. You want to affect the industry, don't stop at just discussing the fake and deceptive articles. ENCOURAGE people to boycott them!
That is the whole point of review bombing.
No. Review bombing is by people who do not have a widely read website or blog. It is merely a bunch of people throwing poo at something, often badly aimed and sometimes nothing to do with the issue at hand. SJW-lites in other words. And when it is done by the Mainland Chinese, I have serious doubts as to whether it is real or a PRC government initiative. That's the problem with China. They have been so underhanded in all of their diplomatic and business dealings in the past 30-40 years that I simply do not trust them not to be underhanded with anything they do. Fake eggs, fake rice, fake government mandated outrage, fake patriotism, fake history, fake education, just a bunch of fakes.

Fake stuff in China is usually not a government stuff. I have lived here for 3 years, and I met a lot of lowbie Chinese that were into the fake business. The government obviously did nothing to stop such practices (I mean, there were places labeled as fake markets), but it was certainly not a government driven effort either.
It was more individual entrepreneur initiatives than a centralized effort.

Note that there are zero efforts involved in their manufacturing fake stuff, as we planted the factories there for them in the first place.
It is not like they have to reverse engineer anything like the Japanese did in the past.

The Chinese government sure has outplayed our western governments for the past 30 years, but that hardly makes it a great place to emigrate to. It is not like the West where you can go to a country and become part of it. Most Asian countries just do not hand over citizenship like we do.
That said, the country had an awesome atmosphere that felt like what we are told about the US of old, where everything seems possible, and the future seems to be a desirable place.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Historically, China belongs to Taiwan, not the other way around as the government of Taiwan is the last legitimately elected government of China ;)

My objections are two-fold:
1) It is not truthful. Their outrage is manufactured. Their history revisionist. Their dealings deceptive. It is a carefully managed illusion of how the rest of the world has wronged them and they are the victims. None of that is true. In fact, they are the biggest bullies around at the moment. Note that none of this has anything to do with their actual strength.
2) Arrogance. I cannot stand the kind of arrogance that the Mainlanders exhibit. They want everything their way, to the point they are demanding that history is taught their way in other countries because the true history does not conform to their version of it. Otherwise, they are taking photos and videos and posting it online. Does that remind you of any other group? I certainly does point me at SJWs. Which of course, puts them in just about the worst category of subhumans I can place anyone in.
You do know that both Taiwan and China are authoritarian governments ?! And no China is China no matter what a bunch of limp dicks think about it on the island. Who do you think will win a war,the mighty Taiwan?
Yeah,there were fucked a lot by a lot of people during and after the Victorian age. Westerners took a lot of shit from them, Russia conquered prats of Manchuria,japs did a lot of evil shit during the occupation,America pissed on them after that. So yeah they have legitimate reason to want revenge. They are prod people of one of the oldest nations in the world with tons of culture and history.
On the second point i would agree with you on the premise that their demands are wrong. History is History and should be taught the way it is. Also minorities and immigrants have no rights above the basic in my eyes! If they don't like it then they should fuck off to their country. As a whole i don't like immigration,running away from your problems thinking that magically you will succeed.

The Chinese government sure has outplayed our western governments for the past 30 years, but that hardly makes it a great place to emigrate to. It is not like the West where you can go to a country and become part of it. Most Asian countries just do not hand over citizenship like we do.
That said, the country had an awesome atmosphere that felt like what we are told about the US of old, where everything seems possible, and the future seems to be a desirable place.
Yeah mate i know,it is wonderful country that have the future in the air. I would love to visit it for a few month. I have no intension of migrating,i am a nationalist and most likely die on some hill fighting for it! Still Asia is better place to migrate than the west. At least you have some kind of .... real personal freedom. As for anarchic guy like me,it is very appealing ;).

Cael

Arcane
You do know that both Taiwan and China are authoritarian governments ?! And no China is China no matter what a bunch of limp dicks think about it on the island. Who do you think will win a war,the mighty Taiwan?
Yeah,there were fucked a lot by a lot of people during and after the Victorian age. Westerners took a lot of shit from them, Russia conquered prats of Manchuria,japs did a lot of evil shit during the occupation,America pissed on them after that. So yeah they have legitimate reason to want revenge. They are prod people of one of the oldest nations in the world with tons of culture and history.
On the second point i would agree with you on the premise that their demands are wrong. History is History and should be taught the way it is. Also minorities and immigrants have no rights above the basic in my eyes! If they don't like it then they should fuck off to their country. As a whole i don't like immigration,running away from your problems thinking that magically you will succeed.
Historically, Mao overthrew the legitimate government of China who fled to Taiwan. Therefore, technically, the true legitimate government of China is Taiwan. Just to happens they were a bunch of triad members who got elected back in the 40s :D

And, no, China has no claim to the 2000+ years of culture and history. Not after what Mao did. Remember the Great Cultural Revolution? Guess what it was revolting against? I know it is hard for Westerners to accept, but the non-Mainlanders, those who migrated to other countries or fled the wars, they are the ones who hold true to the traditions and culture of ancient China. Modern China is a lost kid looking for a culture to latch on to.

And no, they have no excuse for revenge. I don't care what some people did to another group of people even 30 years ago. *I* wasn't involved. Blaming *me* and demanding vengeance against *me* for something I didn't do is really going to trigger a response you won't like. It is the same here, where the SJWs demand and insist that ALL of Australia pay for crimes against homosexuals or Aborigines that happened 20/30/40/60/100 years ago. Hell no! Half the population of Australia wasn't even in the country 30 years ago. Why should they suffer and "pay" for something they didn't do?

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
http://www.pcgamer.com/belgium-says-loot-boxes-are-gambling-wants-them-banned-in-europe/
Belgium says loot boxes are gambling, wants them banned in Europe
By Andy Chalk 35 minutes ago
The Minster of Justice says the mix of gaming and gambling is "dangerous."

Last week, Belgium's Gaming Commission announced that it had launched an investigation into whether the loot boxes available for purchase in games like Overwatch and Star Wars Battlefront 2 constitute a form of gambling. Today, VTM News reported that the ruling is in, and the answer is yes.

The Google translation is a little sloppy, as usual, but the message is clear enough. "The mixing of money and addiction is gambling," the Gaming Commission declared. Belgium's Minister of Justice Koen Geens also weighed in, saying, "Mixing gambling and gaming, especially at a young age, is dangerous for the mental health of the child."

Geens, according to the report, wants to ban in-game purchases outright, and not just in Belgium: He said the process will take time, "because we have to go to Europe. We will certainly try to ban it."

And now, things will start to get interesting. I've reached out to the Gaming Commission for more information, and will update if I receive a reply.

@27s "IT'S A TRAP".

AHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHJABLKHFSLFBHAH

Last edited:

Santander02

Arcane
PRC will be easy to spot mate. If game have a half million Chinese downvotes it will be them. When PRC does something it does it in full force. The Chinese review bombing is a bunch of rich people hating something in the game.
Could be anything the government doesn't like. Make a game that make a referrence to Tienamen, for example, and see what happens. Or call Taiwan a separate country.

But the real issue is that the resulting outrage is FAKE. It is a China government organised effort, not the spontaneous outraged screaming of fans. That's the problem.

I have had dealing with the Mainlander community over here. They are uniformly brainwashed into thinking that China is the greatest, their government is the greatest, China owns everything from Nepal to Taiwan, all of the stuff that the China government want people to believe, and history basically takes a dump on. They are believers in a lie that make them the only good guys in the world. It is basically watching a bunch of maladjusted arrogant sociopaths screaming their heads off about their "rights" on a national scale.

Interesting, I have a Chinese girlfriend and from what she tells me the people there (or at least in Shanghai) are quite self aware of their country's overall shittiness and strongly dislike their corrupt government, they just know they can't do anything about it so many just chose to emigrate. She's also never been in the west and has lived in mainland China all her life so I don't think the reason she told me those things is due to evil capitalist influence eroding her righteously instilled communist values or somesuch.

Tehdagah

Arcane
There's always gotta be some neutraltard bursting in and claiming to be so non-biased and above it all.
What if he is right?
People with splinters in their bum are never right. All they are is lazy.
Maybe the maps and the shooting are good.

giphy.gif

Santander02

Arcane
Whether they are good or not is fucking irrelevant you imbecile, anyone giving EA money for this shit is just contributing to promoting their shitty business practices. It is ALWAYS like this, everyone complains and complains and complains but when a publisher like EA pushes a new hot game bundled with their latest nickle and dimming scheme they run like lemmings to the store, then go online to bitch about it and do the exact same thing over and over again.

Well we say enough is enough, if you keep giving money to these publishers you are part of the cancer that put this microtransaction, 1 day DLC, gambling for minors bullshit in every damn game nowadays and deserve to be called out, regardless of how much "fun" you're having since you are ruining it for the rest of us.

And that's the last time I will engage with dumb asses about this topic seriously because if they are still not tired of being raped by EA by now, they never will be. Thankfully, for once, enough people with an actual brain have managed to band together and push for some damned change, small as it is (or big, if the Belgians inspire the rest of Europa to classify this loot boxes crap as children's gambling like it should be).

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Whether they are good or not is fucking irrelevant you imbecile, anyone giving EA money for this shit is just contributing to promoting their shitty business classics. It is ALWAYS like this, everyone complains and complains and complains but when a publisher like EA pushes a new hot game bundled with their latest nickle and dimming scheme they run like lemmings to the store, then go online to bitch about it and do the exact same thing over and over again.

Well we say enough is enough, if you keep giving money to these publishers you are part of the cancer that put this microtransaction, 1 day DLC, gambling for minors bullshit in every damn game nowadays and deserve to be called out, regardless of how much "fun" you're having since you are ruining it for the rest of us.

And that's the last time I will engage with dumb asses about this topic seriously because if they are still not tired of being raped by EA by now, they never will be. Thankfully, for once, enough people with an actual brain have managed to band together and push for some damned change, small as it is (or big, if the Belgians inspire the rest of Europa to classify this loot boxes crap as children's gambling like it should be).
Agreed. Anyone who continues to give money to EA has NO RIGHT to complain about what they bought. That is like saying you bought an ice block and are astounded it doesn't have ice cream in it.

Oh, and I don't know why your girlfriend is like that (perhaps age is a factor?) but could she please kindly stop exporting them so-called "students" out to this part of the planet? Much appreciated.

Santander02

Arcane
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/11...ion-electronic-arts-star-wars-battlefront-ii/

Hawaii Is Investigating EA’s “Predatory Practices” With Loot Boxes As Well

By Robert Workman - November 21, 2017

Just mere hours after we reported that Belgium was looking to get loot boxes banned from video games following an extensive investigation, a completely different area is conducting its own look into the matter – Hawaii.

Yesterday, Chris Lee, who serves as the Democratic State Representative from Hawaii, held a press conference to announced that it was going to be investigating legislation that would ban games like EA’s Star Wars: Battlefront II and other types from being played by young children. And they could very well pursue the matter on a national scale.

Belgium’s investigation found that the “pay-to-win” loot box system that Star Wars: Battlefront II was going to use (before EA removed it temporarily at the last minute) was a bit too close to gambling, and Lee believes that they’ll find similar results.

“This game is a Star Wars-themed online casino,” he explained, noting “predatory practices” by the company. And then he quipped Admiral Ackbar by saying, “It’s a trap.” (Nice touch.)

The full conference can be found above, and features Lee alongside legislator Sean Quinlan, along with a concerned parent and a player that aren’t too fond about the “loot box” system either.

There are some questions that come into play here, like what kind of changes EA and others can put into their games so it’s not so much about “pay-to-win.” But if Hawaii finds it’s a little too close to gambling, it might need to make those changes sooner rather than later.

EA is fucked, fantastic:incline:.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
I will sleep like a baby tonight.

This thread tastes like your mom's titties, and nourishes my soul.

EA, your Hawaii privaleges have been revoked. Pray they do not alter the deal further. And lay off my eggo, bitch.

Cael

Arcane
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/11...ion-electronic-arts-star-wars-battlefront-ii/

Hawaii Is Investigating EA’s “Predatory Practices” With Loot Boxes As Well

By Robert Workman - November 21, 2017

Just mere hours after we reported that Belgium was looking to get loot boxes banned from video games following an extensive investigation, a completely different area is conducting its own look into the matter – Hawaii.

Yesterday, Chris Lee, who serves as the Democratic State Representative from Hawaii, held a press conference to announced that it was going to be investigating legislation that would ban games like EA’s Star Wars: Battlefront II and other types from being played by young children. And they could very well pursue the matter on a national scale.

Belgium’s investigation found that the “pay-to-win” loot box system that Star Wars: Battlefront II was going to use (before EA removed it temporarily at the last minute) was a bit too close to gambling, and Lee believes that they’ll find similar results.

“This game is a Star Wars-themed online casino,” he explained, noting “predatory practices” by the company. And then he quipped Admiral Ackbar by saying, “It’s a trap.” (Nice touch.)

The full conference can be found above, and features Lee alongside legislator Sean Quinlan, along with a concerned parent and a player that aren’t too fond about the “loot box” system either.

There are some questions that come into play here, like what kind of changes EA and others can put into their games so it’s not so much about “pay-to-win.” But if Hawaii finds it’s a little too close to gambling, it might need to make those changes sooner rather than later.

EA is fucked, fantastic:incline:.

Now, someone clue the politicos in on this one: https://wartune.dolygames.com/category/analysis-tables/chest-box-drop-rates/

Been operating for years and selling to underaged kids. CEO of the company (R2 Games) explains it here: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1016417/-100-000-Whales-An

Use the sidebar to where it says Pay to Win is Acceptable, and look at the slide. Read the bottom line.

As he said in the introduction, the Chinese have been at it for a long time. EA is merely a copycat. Get to the root of the evil. Wipe them ALL out!

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech

Sounds like Americans tbh. (not that Australia isn't developing somewhat the same attitude of exceptionalism).

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm actually kinda disturbed I just watched politicians talk about video games for over 4 minutes and I didn't hear a single ridiculous statement while all the terminology was used correctly. The only thing that might be wrong is the pedantic detail of if EA and Star Wars are the biggest or just one of the biggest.

Still, EA and lootcrates getting their asses kicked is serious :incline:.

Cael

Arcane
Sounds like Americans tbh. (not that Australia isn't developing somewhat the same attitude of exceptionalism).
I have lived in Mid-West America for a while. The people I met tend to be polite, not pushy, definitely not nationalistic to that degree. They are quietly nationalistic, of that there is no doubt, but not the psycho-storm-the-lecturer sort of insane.

I recall a older black bus driver happily chatting away with my friends and I while taking us to work. And a much younger black dude striking up a conversation as asking (with humour) why women of a certain ethnicity prefer white men. We had a laugh when I cheekily replied that I don't know but the bastards are stealing our women.

Americans don't go psycho berserk when you tell them the equivalent of Taiwan/Hong Kong is not part of China. Equating Mainlanders to Americans is a false equivalency.

Santander02

Arcane
Oh, and I don't know why your girlfriend is like that (perhaps age is a factor?) but could she please kindly stop exporting them so-called "students" out to this part of the planet? Much appreciated.

I imagine it is because she actually has to work for herself instead of relying on commie handouts, if the students you are referring too are being paid by the CCP to be there, then yeah, they are there to serve the function of living propaganda machines no doubt.

But enough about commies, this thread is already great now and there is no need to ruin it by having the Tankies smell our slander of their glorious movement and then coming in to say that it is all FAKE MEWS MAO DID NOTHING WRONG RAAAARGH!, back to making fun of EA please!

bb3.png

71e.jpg

Cael

Arcane
It is not slander if it is true ;)

Anyway, how the hell did EA managed to get another game published using the same name as a previous game? Did they pull a Beamdog on it?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Whether they are good or not is fucking irrelevant you imbecile, anyone giving EA money for this shit is just contributing to promoting their shitty business classics. It is ALWAYS like this, everyone complains and complains and complains but when a publisher like EA pushes a new hot game bundled with their latest nickle and dimming scheme they run like lemmings to the store, then go online to bitch about it and do the exact same thing over and over again.

Agreed. Anyone who continues to give money to EA has NO RIGHT to complain about what they bought. That is like saying you bought an ice block and are astounded it doesn't have ice cream in it.

It is because Shanghai,Hong Kong and many others were a foreign colonies for around a century. They have more common with the west than with China. That is why they have protest from time to time.

Cael i wonder how americans will act if one day you tell them that Texas is not part of the states? Your country is very young that is why you think that way. Most people in countries with history see other nations and people as rivals even enemies.

Cael

Arcane
It is because Shanghai,Hong Kong and many others were a foreign colonies for around a century. They have more common with the west than with China. That is why they have protest from time to time.

Cael i wonder how americans will act if one day you tell them that Texas is not part of the states? Your country is very young that is why you think that way. Most people in countries with history see other nations and people as rivals even enemies.

Educating you about the modern history of China is going to take far too long than is possible on this forum. Take it as someone who has lived in the region all his life and not half way across the planet, and has ties to China: You are mistaken in many of your assumptions.

Now, please leave it and go back to kicking EA in the head while it is down in the foetal position.

Cael

Arcane
I never actually looked at the box art for the new BF2 before. Who thought putting Mary Sue Resting Bitch Face on it was a good idea? Disney must have forced them. Game deserves to die just for that.
Was Rey that bad? I never watched the new movies after they announced they were basically going to throw the entire EU under a bus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom