Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Cael

Arcane
No one’s mentioned the biggest improvement in all the enhanced editions. Unlike the originals, they’re consistently playable in Windows 10.

Making these titles run on modern machines is a time consuming pain in the ass, at best! For the technologically inept and people who are paranoid about downloading stuff from random websites, it can be damn near impossible.

Very relevant example: I recently spent maybe an hour trying to make NWN start on my 64 bit Windows 10 machine, at which point I quit and played something else.

I’m sure it’s easier if you have the patience/knowhow to set up a virtual machine running XP, but the enhanced editions are so people can pay extra for the convenience of having the game run with the click of a button.

Everything else, every minor improvement to the graphics or the UI, every bug fix, every piece of new or restored content, that’s all just gravy. Enhanced edition really just means Windows 10 and mobile compatible edition.
To invoke Occam's Razor: Maybe they didn't mention it because they didn't make that enhancement?

Mark Richard

Arcane
Does this work in Beamdog's favour or not?

They don't have to worry about screwing up the game's writing because nobody cares about the main campaign in Neverwinter Nights. I mean, what do you really remember about it? I recall starting out in some kind of college, a treacherous elf (big surprise there, elves are a treacherous race), and that's all. The meat is in the toolset.

On the other hand, they're going to have to work closely with the community long-term on this one, a commitment which isn't to be undertaken lightly.

Delterius

Arcane
They aint gonna restore any cut content, are they?
oh my god

the ability to import characters from baldur's gate

its all coming together

this is the reason trent founded beamdog

to fix his magnum opus

to make good on bioware's most ancient fake promise

oh my goooooooood

where's the turning version of :what: when we need it

sser

Arcane
Developer
Little known fact that Beamdog actually INVENTED the Enhance machine.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One of this game's promised features is savegame compatibility with original NWN. I'm pretty sure they're not planning on touching the content in any of the campaigns.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No one’s mentioned the biggest improvement in all the enhanced editions. Unlike the originals, they’re consistently playable in Windows 10.

Making these titles run on modern machines is a time consuming pain in the ass, at best! For the technologically inept and people who are paranoid about downloading stuff from random websites, it can be damn near impossible.

Very relevant example: I recently spent maybe an hour trying to make NWN start on my 64 bit Windows 10 machine, at which point I quit and played something else.

I’m sure it’s easier if you have the patience/knowhow to set up a virtual machine running XP, but the enhanced editions are so people can pay extra for the convenience of having the game run with the click of a button.

Everything else, every minor improvement to the graphics or the UI, every bug fix, every piece of new or restored content, that’s all just gravy. Enhanced edition really just means Windows 10 and mobile compatible edition.
To invoke Occam's Razor: Maybe they didn't mention it because they didn't make that enhancement?

More likely because it’s so self evident that it’s not worth pointing out. Which is why I just had to write four paragraphs about it.

Planned/forced obsolescence is a scourge, though.

Cael

Arcane
One of this game's promised features is savegame compatibility with original NWN. I'm pretty sure they're not planning on touching the content in any of the campaigns.
Aww... No hot Aribeth on Linu action, then. Oster's got to be pissed about that. Then again, Aribeth and Linu are both white, so he probably wasn't interested.

:D:D:D

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
That stream was disappointing.

• They answered no real questions, choosing soft balls instead of answering anything of substance
    • "Will the game have pvp?" styled questions - wasting everyone's time.
    • Offered nothing tangible on the good questions asked.
  • No real roadmap or idea what they plan to add or where this thing is going.
  • Shilling and Upselling useless crap like soundtracks and portrait packs.
  • Reselling Premium Modules as "DLC"
    • You know.. that shit that Bioware already sold you 10 years ago.
  • Diamond Edition Costs 9.99
    • Their EE game is 19.99
    • Their "SUPER Pack (with premium modules / soundtrack)" game is 39.99... LoL
Seriously Beamdog?

Does anyone make video games anymore? or actually code anything? Or just keep re-releasing old shit trying to turn a buck.

Lhynn

Arcane
If i remember correctly the game had hard coded limits to the moddability of classes and races. Hopefully theyll remove those.
Also backwards compatibility with modules is a very important deal, so much that if it isnt compatible with most well known modules they shouldnt even bother.

Cael

Arcane
    • Their "SUPER Pack (with premium modules / soundtrack)" game is 39.99... LoL
Another $20 for the 3 modules and the soundtrack? :lol:

Beamdog is pathetic, I hope their first original game is a massive failure.
I hope their "Enhanced Edition" business falls over hard so that the money they used to acquire the IP goes down the gurgler, and them with it. They are turning out to be another EA class of IP destroyers.

Ruchy

Scholar

Having downloaded, installed and played GOG's Diamond Ed NWN onto my Windows 10 64 bit machine in the recent past I can 100% confirm you are talking garbage, It ran first time every time.

Fairfax

Arcane
I hope their "Enhanced Edition" business falls over hard so that the money they used to acquire the IP goes down the gurgler, and them with it. They are turning out to be another EA class of IP destroyers.
I wish they'd wasted money on it, but they don't even have the money to acquire the IP, it's all licensed by Hasbro.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The positive side is that this could bring tome well deserved attention to NWN modding but common... Beamdog, add the ability of direct control of the henchmen, it is what this game mostly needs, it is too late to change the campaign but with the new traffic coming on to the game, some decent party based modules could come up and this would make NWN combat be much much better. If creating a full party requires too much work, at least adding the ability of controlling them would make NWN combat to be decent for the first time on years.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

Having downloaded, installed and played GOG's Diamond Ed NWN onto my Windows 10 64 bit machine in the recent past I can 100% confirm you are talking garbage, It ran first time every time.

What’s your CPU, GPU, sound card, other stuff that might be relevant? When did you last update Windows—I remember updating to a new service pack messed up NWN2 and a bunch of infinity engine games. Maybe it’s something obvious that I’m missing, but it starts to launch and then goes black.

I spent a long time google fishing for answers and there are plenty of known compatibility issues with Windows 10. It doesn’t look nearly as problematic for current machines as the infinity engine games, though. Ddraw my ass.

Cael

Arcane
I wish they'd wasted money on it, but they don't even have the money to acquire the IP, it's all licensed by Hasbro.
They still spent money on the licence. Here is to hoping they never recoup that amount. And frakk Hasbro and WotC while we are at it. Goddamned DnD-as-Diablo-in-PnP motherloving franchise destroyers.

Iznaliu

Arbiter

That's not worth 20 dollars of work when any game worth playing probably has a guide online on how to make it compatible.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
If they were smart they would have done real 'enhancements' like dding WNN2 spells, skills, feats, and classes, throw in more paryt control. And, you know actually make a campaign themselves to sell since that is basically a good part of NWN but no... they give all this shit.

FUKK THAT BULLSHITZ.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

That's not worth 20 dollars of work when any game worth playing probably has a guide online on how to make it compatible.

Oh hells no. It’s worth maybe five to ten bucks. I uninstalled, reinstalled, safe moded, admin moded—nothing. Then I turned off my fucking antivirus and now it works like a charm (at least for the last ten minutes).

Now, making Arcanum Multiverse run easily on Windows 10 might be worth an extra twenty, but that took me an eternity to troubleshoot. So I agre, this pricing is ridiculous.

I don’t blame Beamdog, though. People will pay. They’d be stupid not to charge whatever they can get away with.

DemonKing

Arcane
Did they do any market research at all into this? I can't remember ever seeing any waves of nostalgia from the CRPG community about NWN (more like disdain). I think DOS2 has a DM mode but none of the reviews/opinions I've read have been people jumping up and down about that and begging for more of the same. People who were into NWN in a big way probably have all the mods installed they'll ever need and everyone else deinstalled it over a decade ago. So who exactly is this targeted at?

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
I watched the whole stream. And while I was a bit annoyed at the number of times Trent said ("We don't have any concrete plans for {0}", insertAnythingHere), I am still very much looking forward to this game and will be buying the deluxe edition when it hits Steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom