Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 - now with lootbox drama

Nathir

Liturgist
Blizzard calling out EA is ironic, considering Hearthstone exists.

Santander02

Arcane
I stole them from KYM

Stealing memes is always acceptable.

Have another one then.

4cc.gif

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wonder how many blunders EA needs to make for Disney to stop renewing the licence. It would be really glorious.

Btw, one of my friends used to work at EA monetization department on the office near the one in charge of monetizing Dungeon Keeper for Mobile (whatever this abomination was called).
He told me his colleague was confident the Dungeon Keeper name would allow them to nickel and dim players to unthinkable levels. Apparently, he was a bit too optimistic, and EA is not a learning animal.

Dexter

Arcane
http://www.pcgamer.com/belgium-says-loot-boxes-are-gambling-wants-them-banned-in-europe/
Belgium says loot boxes are gambling, wants them banned in Europe
By Andy Chalk 35 minutes ago
The Minster of Justice says the mix of gaming and gambling is "dangerous."

Last week, Belgium's Gaming Commission announced that it had launched an investigation into whether the loot boxes available for purchase in games like Overwatch and Star Wars Battlefront 2 constitute a form of gambling. Today, VTM News reported that the ruling is in, and the answer is yes.

The Google translation is a little sloppy, as usual, but the message is clear enough. "The mixing of money and addiction is gambling," the Gaming Commission declared. Belgium's Minister of Justice Koen Geens also weighed in, saying, "Mixing gambling and gaming, especially at a young age, is dangerous for the mental health of the child."

Geens, according to the report, wants to ban in-game purchases outright, and not just in Belgium: He said the process will take time, "because we have to go to Europe. We will certainly try to ban it."

And now, things will start to get interesting. I've reached out to the Gaming Commission for more information, and will update if I receive a reply.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
It took them long enough. There is an age limit on gambling for a reason, and lootboxes encourages gambling behaviour is a fact that is plain as day. That it doesn't trigger the gambling laws is merely a loophole abuse that should have been plugged YEARS ago.

I hope they take EA to the cleaners, and all the Flash MMO games with it.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
It took them long enough. There is an age limit on gambling for a reason, and lootboxes encourages gambling behaviour is a fact that is plain as day. That it doesn't trigger the gambling laws is merely a loophole abuse that should have been plugged YEARS ago.

I hope they take EA to the cleaners, and all the Flash MMO games with it.

Death to flash games!

Death to EA!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I must say that i am becoming EA fan. They accomplished sooooo much in such a little time. Taking a stand against such evil practices and making them banned in the EU is a feat that must fill them with pride!

Cael

Arcane
Stop buying their games then. It is not up to the media to set prices. It is up to the consumers. If you think the prices are too high, stop buying! It is that simple. You couldn't force me to buy Skyrim when it first came out, nor Siege of Dragonspear, nor any EA sports crap from the year dot. I didn't like the way they took things or I didn't like the company ethics, so I didn't give them my money.

Yelling and typing furiously isn't going to stop the bastards. You want to affect the industry, don't stop at just discussing the fake and deceptive articles. ENCOURAGE people to boycott them!
That is the whole point of review bombing.
No. Review bombing is by people who do not have a widely read website or blog. It is merely a bunch of people throwing poo at something, often badly aimed and sometimes nothing to do with the issue at hand. SJW-lites in other words. And when it is done by the Mainland Chinese, I have serious doubts as to whether it is real or a PRC government initiative. That's the problem with China. They have been so underhanded in all of their diplomatic and business dealings in the past 30-40 years that I simply do not trust them not to be underhanded with anything they do. Fake eggs, fake rice, fake government mandated outrage, fake patriotism, fake history, fake education, just a bunch of fakes.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Stop buying their games then. It is not up to the media to set prices. It is up to the consumers. If you think the prices are too high, stop buying! It is that simple. You couldn't force me to buy Skyrim when it first came out, nor Siege of Dragonspear, nor any EA sports crap from the year dot. I didn't like the way they took things or I didn't like the company ethics, so I didn't give them my money.

Yelling and typing furiously isn't going to stop the bastards. You want to affect the industry, don't stop at just discussing the fake and deceptive articles. ENCOURAGE people to boycott them!
That is the whole point of review bombing.
No. Review bombing is by people who do not have a widely read website or blog. It is merely a bunch of people throwing poo at something, often badly aimed and sometimes nothing to do with the issue at hand. SJW-lites in other words. And when it is done by the Mainland Chinese, I have serious doubts as to whether it is real or a PRC government initiative. That's the problem with China. They have been so underhanded in all of their diplomatic and business dealings in the past 30-40 years that I simply do not trust them not to be underhanded with anything they do. Fake eggs, fake rice, fake government mandated outrage, fake patriotism, fake history, fake education, just a bunch of fakes.
PRC will be easy to spot mate. If game have a half million Chinese downvotes it will be them. When PRC does something it does it in full force. The Chinese review bombing is a bunch of rich people hating something in the game.

Cael

Arcane
PRC will be easy to spot mate. If game have a half million Chinese downvotes it will be them. When PRC does something it does it in full force. The Chinese review bombing is a bunch of rich people hating something in the game.
Could be anything the government doesn't like. Make a game that make a referrence to Tienamen, for example, and see what happens. Or call Taiwan a separate country.

But the real issue is that the resulting outrage is FAKE. It is a China government organised effort, not the spontaneous outraged screaming of fans. That's the problem.

I have had dealing with the Mainlander community over here. They are uniformly brainwashed into thinking that China is the greatest, their government is the greatest, China owns everything from Nepal to Taiwan, all of the stuff that the China government want people to believe, and history basically takes a dump on. They are believers in a lie that make them the only good guys in the world. It is basically watching a bunch of maladjusted arrogant sociopaths screaming their heads off about their "rights" on a national scale.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom