Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game introduced you to the genre?

jungl

Augur
super mario rpg. game blew my mind with those isometric 3d graphics as a kid. Then mgs1 blew my mind again with them graphics. Got into crpgs sometime around middle school bought planescape torment then sometime later fallout 1+2 together. See the thing is buying games in the past was worth it. The boxes and the manuals they came with were pure sex. Planescape torment box. Arcanum and Baldurs gate 2 manual come to mind. Now with everything being digital there is no point.

Darkzone

Arcane
Bard's Tale I was my first RPG and short after that Ultima IV was released on the C64.

Last edited:

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The first game I ever played was Wonder Boy 3 on the SMS. I didn't get into western games until Fallout.

Falksi

Arcane
Buck Rogers - Countdown to Doomsday.

Had flirted with RPG's as a really young kid via text based adventure games ala Cube of Zoth, and even further back to Granny's Garden I guess.

granny1.gif

But BR:CTD was the first game which really drew me in to the mindset of "So this is an RPG.....RPGs are ace!!"

GENESIS--Buck%20Rogers%20Countdown%20to%20Doomsda_Dec22%2013_52_52.png

Trashos

Arcane
My first 4 RPGs were Fallout, FO2, PST, and BG2, in that order. Then I spent a couple of years trying more recent titles in order to find other RPGs that were as good, and couldn't find any. And then I found the RPGCodex Top 70 list, and everything was all right again.

resilient sphere

Educated
dungeon master and captive on the Atari ST

edit: i still buy Captive's one-man pixel art as better game illustration than a lot of modern stuff

Kersey

Educated
Ultima 7 and Ultima Underworld were the first ones I played around with, though I didn't complete either one until much later. Fallout (1) was the first one that really hooked me and I played it to the end with a seriously gimped character, not really knowing how to play this kind of game. It was so much easier the second time around when I knew how to make a viable character but the first time is the one I still remember. After that I knew to keep an eye on whatever came out of Troika Games. Loved Arcanum and Temple of Elemental Evil and many more since then.

agris

Arcane
Patron
MYST -> Diablo 1 -> Carmageddon -> Fallout 1 -> Warcraft 2 -> Baldur's Gate

There was a smattering of Sim City 2000, Rise of the Triad, Redneck Rampage and some MYST-like forensic science Macintosh game thrown in there too - but I don't think any of those influenced my taste very much.

Delterius

Arcane
CRPGs and computers in general weren't readily available where I'm from. The first computers games I ever played were strategy and MMOs. I didn't even know much about western videogames and RPGs until I played Dragon Age in 2010 and went straight to BG2, PS:T and Wizardry 8 a year after. Until then, my very first RPG and computer game in general was Chrono Trigger. That said, blobbers were always closest to my childhood experiences with JRPGs.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Akalabeth and Slash'EM in late 00's, since I had shitty connection and barely any $$$, and older games were tiny enough to get from abadonware sites, give them a try, keep if you enjoyed it and get another one if you didn't. Before that I only played stuff that was available in the local arcade (Crime Patrol, some racing games...) as well as whatever my friends had (Heretic, Quake II, all kinds of racing stuff). Then I read about TES series and tried Daggerfall. Next stop: System Shock 2 and Deus Ex.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Shareware/PD games such as Exile, Nethack, ADOM, Angband and Excelsior. I got them off a cd that came with a magazine. I didn't really know what I was doing and never finished any of them.

The first CRPG I bought with my own money, however, was Planescape: Torment back when it was new.

gestalt11

Arbiter
RPGs? Reading my borther's 1st edition D&D monster manual and player's handbook when I was 6 or 7 years old in the early 80s. CRPGS? Visiting my friends house and watching him play Wizardry 1 on his home PC, by that time RPGs were nothing new but doing them on a computer was great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom