Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game introduced you to the genre?

Vlajdermen

Arcane
For me it was Amalur. I just recently started getting into what this site would call actually good rpgs (Arcanum and the like). I still replay amalur every now and then for a bit of dumb fun.

fobia

Neverwinter Nights.
First PC game I ever bought.
PC or console gaming wasn't a thing where I grew up. I was 14 when my family got a PC, I saw the NWN box in a shop, bought it because I liked the eye on the front and the advertising on the back.
Since I had no exposure to gaming except my cousins old GameBoy, I thought NWN was the best thing ever.
I asked at school whether people knew other awesome games like NWN and a classmate gave me his copy of Gothic II. A game even better than NWN. That's why I kept playing mostly action RPGs (Morrowind...) til 20 something. I think I started playing the 'classics' because I found a copy of Arcanum somewhere.

Incantatar

Cipher
Albion demo on some gaming magazine CD in the 90s. Never played the complete game. It's even on sale @ GOG right now, might look into it again.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wasteland, somewhere around 1990-91.

I was too young to care that it was an RPG and needed help with the language, but that was the point after which I started looking for other games like it because it was just so much fun.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
Eye of the beholder II or ultima underground can't remember who was the first.

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
I am a newbie in the genre, but

Legend of Dragoon - ps1- back in the day (marvellous game, one of the best jrpgs ever)

Baldurs Gate 1+2 for cRPGs - my favorite games. I played them when the EE's came out, so no nostalgia envolved here

Drax

Arcane
Shareware version of Realmz on my old man's PowerPC

_resize.php

489747-realmz_character_screen.png

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Probably Final Fantasy I, Lunar: the Silver Star, Phantasy Star or Eye of the Beholder.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Wizardry 1 on the NES. I learned to read by watching my dad play it. I thought the graph paper dungeon maps he'd leave around on the coffee table looked cool, and when I was finally good enough at reading, I decided to play it myself. A lot of the other earliest RPGs I played were the Gold Box games, Elder Scrolls: Arena, Shining Force 2, Phantasy Star IV, Wizardry 7 and probably some others. But Wizardry 1 on the NES was the first.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Technically Dungeon Master (1988), but at that time I was much too young to wield a mouse and keyboard and settled for watching. Eye of the Beholder (1991) gave me my first real taste of the dungeoneering lifestyle. From then on no chest went unopened and no bauble went unclaimed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom