Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPGs are the best for beginners?

Incantatar

Cipher
I find it pretty interesting how nobody in this thread is actually explaining or justifying their recommendations, but instead they choose to shout over each other and argue about which games are better (which doesn't equal which games are suitable for an RPG newcomer).
People itt only name their favorites.
How about just posting the codex top rpgs http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453? Just disregard Morrowind and Wizardry 8 because I'm not a big fan of those.

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
I find it pretty interesting how nobody in this thread is actually explaining or justifying their recommendations, but instead they choose to shout over each other and argue about which games are better (which doesn't equal which games are suitable for an RPG newcomer).
I already played Baldur's Gate, IWD and PS:T.

So, which games a begginer in the genre should play now? Fallout, Deus EX, Arcanum, Age of Decadence, Morrowind...?

Tks in advance for the eventual tips.

Ultima 7 (The Black Gate) and 7:2 (Serpent Isle). You can find a Let's Play of both (and Ultimas 4-6) here so that you can get a taste of what it is like. Just... don't do half the stuff he does. It is aimed at veterans of the series who can see where he has gone straight off the rails and is digging his way to China.

Fallout and Fallout 2 are easy to get into and understand. 3 onwards is a complete shift in gaming philosophy, becoming more like The Elder Scrolls than Fallout, so it depends on what you like.

Do NOT try Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines as a beginner due to a hell of a lot of technical issues. The game was badly bugged and the combat all over the place. You will need a mod or an unofficial patch to fix things. The mod is full of fixes for what the author INTERPRETE as bugs, and the patch is a pain to install. Save yourself the trouble. A pity, because the setting is really good and if you have a good group, the tabletop game is lots of fun.

Morrowind can be overwhelming for a beginner. It is large, it is open, and you are given few pointers as to what to do other than go to X, and talk to Y. Following nothing but the few pointers you have would not give you the full experience of the game, and may (I am not sure because I always go off the beaten track) end up pitting you against things you are ill-equipped to handle.

Temple of Elemental Evil is basically 3.5 tabletop rules in a CPRG. It is clunky and as mentioned, you WILL need to patch it and install mods. It is a mess otherwise. The main thing is that the Co8 mod/patch is easy to install and fixes everything, and any extras are clearly marked and are not part of the original storyline (i.e., they all happen after the main game).

Icewind Dale 2 isn't that hard, but it is completely different from IWD in terms of rule set. It is pseudo 3rd Edition, whereas BG and IWD was 2nd Ed. You may like it or you may not. The storyline is not too bad, but has a bunch of plot holes crashing through it.

Bolded for your convenience.

I liked your explanation. Tks very much.

But I want some games like Wizardry/M&M/Ultima Underworld ( I dont want to play legend of grimrock for now). I guess I'll start with MM7. What do you think? It's classic, but its not so difficult like mandate of heaven.

I'll play fallout 1 for now.

Cael

Arcane
Play Ultima Underworld and Ultima Underworld II, then.

Underworld is good because the entire thing is very coherent and the story is pretty well done. Its main problem is that it is not really tied into the whole Ultima main series. More of a standalone game with some of the lore of the series and you, the Avatar.

Underworld II is tied directly into the main series, but it is more of a disjointed mess story-wise due to the Star Gate style of episodic segments.

If you like first person style games, then Fallout 3 might be for you. It is not too big that you get lost, and is fairly linear in what you have to do to advance the main plot. Just becareful with the expansions because the Point Lookout HP bloat is psycho. There is an LP of it here if you want to see if you like it.

I never played MM7, so I can't tell you. I stopped around 5.

Oh, and whatever you do, do NOT even THINK about going anywhere near Ultima 9. For the love of all that is holy, leave that one to burn in EA hell.

Last edited:

RPK

Scholar

good point.

I think knights of the old republic is a good beginner RPG because it gives you basic options of good and evil, with two different endings supporting both play styles. it has a few different choice and consequence storyline changes based on dialog choices and it has a fun twist in it. I know people on here love to hate it, but i think it's a good beginner RPG.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Rogue (1980), Wizardry (1981), Ultima III: Exodus (1983), Dungeon Master (1987), Pool of Radiance (1988), Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (1992), Final Fantasy VI (1994; a.k.a. FF3), TES II: Daggerfall (1996), Fallout (1997).

This will give you a taste of classics in a variety of CRPG subgenres. Ignore those telling you to focus on games in the period 1998-2002 (and even more those telling you to focus on later games).
Yeah, stick to these if you want to stop playing RPGs. I mean, what the fuck. How can you recommend these to a beginners? Some of these are intimidating to even hardcore players these days. Bullshit elitism.
Yes, it's quite ridiculous to expect anyone to have the capability of playing such overly-complex games as Rogue, Wizardry, or Ultima without extensive prior experience in CRPGs. Clearly, when confronted with such alternatives in the 1980s, the only viable option was to eschew all CRPGs and instead wait quietly by one's computer until 1998, for the arrival of the glorious decline wrought by Bioware and its successors.
:mlady::greatjob::happytrollboy:

Darkzone

Arcane
Most people will only name the games that they liked, other will try to spann up a multidimensional attribute space of handleable cRPGs that can be contrasted against modern cRPGS with similar attributes. But in both cases a explanation for the choice of cRPGs is not needed since the experience of playing will result in the insight of cRPGs. And in any case Fallout 1, as presumably as good as PS:T only with different attributes, is the best choice to play for a beginner who are interested in classic cRPGs.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fallout 2 is actually quite good for a beginner. It’s fairly easy going and it doesn’t take itself too seriously so one does not need to sweat about it, but it still requires half a brain. An overall good game that provides a swell showcase on all RPG essentials a beginner needs to know.

Darkzone

Arcane
Fallout 2 is actually quite good for a beginner. It’s fairly easy going and it doesn’t take itself too seriously so one does not need to sweat about it, but it still requires half a brain. An overall good game that provides a swell showcase on all RPG essentials a beginner needs to know.
Fallout 1 and 2 are both equaly good for beginners and that is also the reason why i named them both in my previous post. I personally think that Fallout 1 is storywise a better game with its time constraint, novelty and tighter story, but 'party' mechanic wise Fallout 2 is clearly better. Either way for me they are both sharing the number 1 place with PS:T in the RPG Pantheon.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Just disregard Morrowind and Wizardry 8 because I'm not a big fan of those

This is a perfect example of the mentality I was complaining about, and another problem that seems to crop up; people incorporating their taste into the recommendations without taking into account that people may have differing preferences.

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik

This is a perfect example of the mentality I was complaining about, and another problem that seems to crop up; people incorporating their taste into the recommendations without taking into account that people may have differing preferences.

THIS

I am liking falout, but i want to know some blobbers and newer games too.

I want to play Age of Decadence (I will) and something like wizardry 7/8 or MM 7/8. I want to play some challengeable games, one that a begginer could enjoy. I think I will just folloow my guts and the top 70 rpgs from this site.

In other hand, i didnt liked so much NWN (couldnt finish, it was boring) and pillars of eternity. I will play the latter some other time. -- Infos that I didnt mentioned in the OP.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

THIS

I want to play Age of Decadence (I will) and something like wizardry 7/8 or MM 7/8. I want to play some challengeable games, one that a begginer could enjoy. I think I will just folloow my guts and the top 70 rpgs from this site.

In other hand, i didnt liked so much NWN (couldnt finish, it was boring) and pillars of eternity. I will play the latter some other time. -- Infos that I didnt mentioned in the OP.

Even the NWN fanatics will readily acknowledge that the original campaign—AKA the game itself—is pretty lackluster. Apparently it’s all about the mods, which means it’s not a great pick for beginners.

Lots of people have suggested Grimrock for an intro blobber and I second that—less daunting than the Wizardries or M&M.

Cael

Arcane
It is the expansion campaigns that really tried to reach for greatness. The original campaign is at best 3 mediocre chapters of fetch quests and one chapter of assassinate someone by killing everything.

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
Ok, I will see this game.

And sorry about my english. Its so poor. Nevermind that, please.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
For blobers go for MM series but begin from MM8 and go down. MM6 and MM4 are the best ;) . Good third person ones well...begin with Witcher 3 then Vampires bloodlines and then go for Piranha games. Try out spiderweb games and Arcanum. Don't forget Deus Ex. D:OS 1/2 are pretty easy games if you don't go for hard.
why would one go for the inferior series? if blobber for beginner than wiz 8. and i agree about arcanum but spiderweb games is too open to interpretation. it's probably better to get burned out on geneforge than the others and then not be able to play geneforge.

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
For blobers go for MM series but begin from MM8 and go down. MM6 and MM4 are the best ;) . Good third person ones well...begin with Witcher 3 then Vampires bloodlines and then go for Piranha games. Try out spiderweb games and Arcanum. Don't forget Deus Ex. D:OS 1/2 are pretty easy games if you don't go for hard.
why would one go for the inferior series? if blobber for beginner than wiz 8. and i agree about arcanum but spiderweb games is too open to interpretation. it's probably better to get burned out on geneforge than the others and then not be able to play geneforge.

They said MM 6 is more difficult than 7 and 8. Wizardry 7 and 8 are complicated for begginers too.

I liked what scrooge said because i am finding world of xeen cool.

Edit: geneforge is a game that i liked what i saw/read.

And I am really not in the mood to play grimrock right now. I want to start with a classic blobber for my first time in this subgenre.

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher

THIS

thank you for this. it pretty much proves that BG 1/2 are not better than PoE because of nostalgia. PoE simply sucks ass. I wish Sawyer was here to read this.

RoSoDude

Arcane
I think Immersive Sims/FPS/RPGs are probably the most accessible entry point, for a number of reasons. For me it was Deus Ex, which I think is just the right balance of strategic character building and skillful real-time gameplay. With the GMDX mod you pretty much can't go wrong. Fallout: New Vegas is probably a good alternative, too. I wouldn't personally jump into System Shock 2 before you've played some other games in the genre, but it's at the top of my list of recommendations.

Personally, I'm going to be diving into Fallout 1 and 2 pretty soon for the proper cRPG experience that I've been missing.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

THIS

Personally I didn't like M&M VI trough IX. The move to freeroam 3D with ugly 2D pixelated flat sprites and weird real time/turn based system hybrid didn't do the series any favors IMO.
I'd either stick with the classics up to M&M V - or, if you want a more modern and tactical experience, then jump right into M&M X Legacy (although the exploration aspect is weaker and the world much smaller).

eXalted

Arcane
Fallout 2

At first was like - is this ugliness the Fallout that everyone keeps talking about?
And then I was like - what is this Temple bullshit in the beginning, this game is fucking boring.
And then I was like - this UI is gross! How are people playing this game?

And then I arrived at Den, got penetrated by a drug dealer for a dose of Jet, got addicted and completed the game twice after that.

Darkzone

Arcane
Fallout 1 and 2 are an examples of games that are ought to be played at least 2 x times. Do not try to play just RPGs through, like to eat as much as you can in a short time. Instead you should try to digest some of them at least one more time before you move on to another dish.
I would state that you should play Fallout 1 with one very intelligent charismatic character and one with a stupid brute. I have recommended you games based also on the criteria of play length and i prefered to name you the shorter games.

AoD is a game that presumably requires a great deal of frustration tolerance, therefore i would state that this is not for begginers. Yes after the conquest ot the Fortress PoE falls also for me apart like NWN (not expansions) after leaving the city and they become boring.

They said MM 6 is more difficult than 7 and 8. Wizardry 7 and 8 are complicated for begginers too.
And I am really not in the mood to play grimrock right now. I want to start with a classic blobber for my first time in this subgenre.
Wasteland 1 is quite accessible as a top down view game, and is not so complicated like the Ultima series (Ultima 4 is simpler than Wasteland 1), while having a funny post apocalyptic setting. Bard's Tale I is fun if you like to draw 21'x21' square grid dungeons, or you wait till the Tranny gets her stuff together and releases the version with the automap. Bard's Tale 2 and 3 is quite lengthy and there is a lot of grinding required. And therefore i have recommended you also Dragon Wars instead of the BT series. The Wizardry series requires an advanced bloober player.

Last edited:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I'm not a huge RPG guy (i mainly pop around here to check out news about Obsidian) but the RPGs I've had a good (and accessible) time with definitely start with Fallout 1, 2, and New Vegas. Also, Bloodborne is a great modern one. I don't really know if it's technically considered an RPG but it has stats and dialogue choices and equipment and multiple endings and a clear emphasis on mechanics over AAA production values, which puts it right in RPGland as far as I'm concerned.
Wait what i just read? Bloodborne an rpg?.... There is so much :decline: on this

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
I want to start with a classic blobber for my first time in this subgenre.

Wizardry 1.
Dungeon Master for real time.
Both are great games, with nice UIs, and they are not very hard. Dungeon Master's graphics have aged well too.

TBH, Wizardry 1 I will pass today. Dm, though, i really liked a lot what i saw. Pretty graphics, indeed. Other pretty graphics for this kind of game is anvil of dawn. What do you think about this game for begginers?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Mate you totally don't sound like beginner! More like a jaded old school cave codexer. :incline: We do need more beginners like you!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom