Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Titan Quest Anniversary Edition

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Probably last major update to the Anniversary version. Which either means it was broken when released or they are trying to improve quite an old game. I choose to believe the latter!

Update #4 (1.32) Random Number Generator Fix, Editor Fix, Better cheat protection, Gameplay & Item Tweaks
Update #4
19th October 2016
GENERAL
- Fixed random number generator bug that caused duplicate item drops.
- Fixed bug where mod databases were not loaded in the Editor
+ Better cheat protection for multiplayer games
+ Ensnare nets now have a 0.5m radius, increasing with level
+ Pierce Resistance on Core Dweller now increases by 1 per level
- Fixed Study Prey effects on enemy traps
- Lowered threat generation on Liche King by 5%
- Tweaked Nymph combat AI
+ Act 4 bosses now also have chances to ignore pets
- Aktaios' mirage images now have proper resistances
- Adjusted (melee) retaliation damage on Typhon's thorns
- Fixed some monster and boss spells being cast without mana
- Reduced Djinn Blood Sister spawns
- Fixed experience rewarded for Snuuk (Neanderthal Hero)
- Slightly increased Wildfire damage on Sandqueen Masika
- Increased damage of Eurynomoi by 10%
- Fixed resistances on certain Gilded Warlocks
+ Added a few more unique proxies with extra treasure to certain caves
- Curbed excessive values on some remaining test items
- Affixes that give +2 to a mastery's skills are now green
- Updated art on obscured Knossos Labyrinth map
- Fixed text tag on "of the Mammoth" suffix
- Minor text tweaks

UNIQUE ITEM CHANGES:
- Eternal Ward of Tartarus set now also grants Bleeding and Vitality resistances, values reduced to 15/30/45%
- The Harbinger set now also grants Bleeding and Vitality resistances, values reduced to 15/23%
- Armament of Poseidon set now also grants Bleeding and Vitality resistances at max level, values reduced to 30%
- Imperial Raiment set now also grants Bleeding and Vitality resistances at max level, values reduced to 30%
- Raiment of Carnus set now also grants Bleeding and Vitality resistances at max level, values reduced to 40%
- Huo Qubing's Relics set now grants Vitality Resistance instead of more Cold Resistance
- Warden's Charge set now grants Bleeding Resistance instead of more Poison Resistance
- Shadow Guard set now grants Vitality Resistance along with Life Leech Resistance, but no more extra Health
- Nemean Lion Hide set now gives 50% Pierce and 50% Bleeding resistance at max level
- Bone Armor set now grants 30% Vitality Resistance instead of Spell Energy Absroption at max level
- The Sphinx set now gives Bleeding Resistance instead of Pierce Resistance
- Crystalline Greaves: Increased Lightning Resistance to 33%
- Charon's Funeral Wrappings: Elemental Resistance -10%, added 40% Vitality Resistance
- Demonskin Walkers: Replaced 30% Fire Resistance with 30% Bleeding Resistance
- Leggings of the Defiled: Life Leech Resistance -30%, added 30% Vitality Resistance
- Night-Terror Wraps: -20% Lightning Resistance, added 30% Vitality Resistance
- Coronal of the Abyss: Elemental Resistance -5%, Vitality Resistance +20%
- Crest of Hypnos: Elemental/Poison/Pierce Resistances -20%, added 100% Vitality Resistance
- Helm of Darkness: Now grants Vitality Resistance instead of Pierce Resistance
- Kael's Visage: Now grants 50% Vitality Resistance instead of 40% Pierce Resistance
- Blackguard: Now grants 25% Vitality Resistance instead of 21% Pierce Resistance
- Cestus: Pierce Resistance -30%, added 40% Vitality Resistance
- Glykon Acolyte's Robe: Pierce Resistance -40%, added 40% Vitality Resistance
- Soulshield Chiton: Now grants 22% Vitality Resistance instead of 42 Defensive Ability
- Mantle of Sa'jun: Reduced resistances from 45% to 40%, added 40% Vitality Resistance
- Occultist's Raiment: Now grants 35% Bleeding and Vitality Resistances instead of 42% Pierce
- Penumbra Plate: Now grants 60% Vitality Resistance instead of 52% Cold Resistance
- Somatophylakes Plate: Now also grants Bleeding and Vitality resistances, values reduced to 18%
- Tunic of the Magi: Elemental/Poison/Pierce Resistances -10%, added 40% Vitality Resistance
- Gauntlets of the Necrolord: Resistances -20%, added 60% Vitality Resistance
- Heartsong Armlets: Added 50% Vitality Resistance
- Shield of Anguish: Now grants 30% Vitality Resistance instead of 20% Pierce Resistance
- Premonition: Elemental Resistance -7%, added 25% Vitality Resistance
- Anexartitos: Replaced Poison Resistance with Vitality Resistance
- Hades' Aspis: Replaced 45% Cold Resistance with 50% Vitality Resistance
- Deathweaver's Chitin (Arachnos): Retaliation chance increased to 50%
- Witch Doctor's Vestment (Anouran): Replaced half of the Pierce Resistance with Vitality Resistance
- Palioxis (Machae): Replaced half of the Pierce Resistance with Bleeding Resistance
- Overseer's Crest (Reptilian): Earth Enchantment boost now scales with difficulty level
- The Rat's Track (Ratman): Trail Blazing boost now scales with difficulty level
- Vagabond's Shirt (Ratman): Increased Movement Speed bonus on Epic and Legendary to 15% and 20%

How I wish I was retired

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So what is the consensus - is this version a big enough improvement to be worth buying and/or playing ? For some1 who likes the original version (and some mods too) ?
Well, there are no two-handed weapons and the player char still ain't got no pants...

T. Reich

Arcane
Never played TQ before due to prevailing opinion that it's too "meh" of a game.
Figured that with such a big overhaul I might as well give it a try.
I'm a huge PoE and D2 player, but I also fairly enjoyed TLII and Sacred 1.

Went in mostly blind and decided to go for a focused pet build (nature + earth). Probably a mistake, if online build/mastery discussions are to be believed, but I'll persevere.
Just got to Megara, lvl10.
I made a mistake of mostly ignoring the tutorial tips and manual, so up until some small Spartan village I actually had no idea that you coul micro-manage your pets and that you can use the in-build teleport feature instead of running all the way back to the nearest trader.
Frankly, I also have no idea how to properly level a character skill-wise. How important is it to max one core skill ASAP as opposed to getting a mix of lower-level skills. Or whether it's better to max active skills of lower level mastery and put points into mastery itself later, or is it better to rush the chosen mastery to high level for higher-level skills while making use of only minimal amount of lower-level skills until then.

What I liked:
* Animations feel fairly "fluid".
* Overall the game gives me a bit of "Dungeon Siege 1" vibe, and also reminds me of TSII somewhat as well, though less so, because TQ's locations are a good deal more linear, with fewer side areas or open big spaces so far.

What I didn't like:
* How loot is presented. I may have ignored some vital settings, but by default you can't see the stats of items on the ground, and you can't pick up and hold items with a cursor to view them. Not to mention that tons of loot is simply obscured from the item highlight due to being "crappy"(?). Why does it even drop then?
* How different screens are presented. Why does opening a map or inventory window puts it in the middle of a screen with no ability to move it? There's no minimap either. It's extremely annoying. They should've went with either Divine Divinity style (movable windows) or the old-school ARPG style where windows opened to the side of the screen, not in the middle of it.
* Too many trash mobs combined with altogether too long distances between waypoints. Combined with the fact that when you log off and then log on, you spawn in the last visited city with portal and have to progress through the already-explored areas populated by the trash mobs that mostly exist to waste your time.
* Gameplay from the point of skill usage feels a bit too boring right now, seeing as I only have my weak base attack + 2x wolves to deal with enemies, so it's kinda bland and repetitive. Having most skills on cooldowns is also pretty annoying - I'd rather manage energy as a resource instead of waiting for cooldown to use skills that don't really feel "punchy". This is in contrast with TLII where, despite having annoyingly long cooldowns, skills felt actually impactful; or compared to Sacred 1, where with knowledge you could keep cooldowns really short and could also mix-and-match a variety of spells/abilities for your chosen class while keeping them strong.

EDIT: Oh, and I suppose that, despite those fairly significant annoyances, the game overall is well-made, and the chahacter system is fairly robust, so IMO the game still merits at least one playthrough.

Last edited:

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Never played TQ before due to prevailing opinion that it's too "meh" of a game.
Figured that with such a big overhaul I might as well give it a try.
I'm a huge PoE and D2 player, but I also fairly enjoyed TLII and Sacred 1.

Went in mostly blind and decided to go for a focused pet build (nature + earth). Probably a mistake, if online build/mastery discussions are to be believed, but I'll persevere.
Just got to Megara, lvl10.
I made a mistake of mostly ignoring the tutorial tips and manual, so up until some small Spartan village I actually had no idea that you coul micro-manage your pets and that you can use the in-build teleport feature instead of running all the way back to the nearest trader.
Frankly, I also have no idea how to properly level a character skill-wise. How important is it to max one core skill ASAP as opposed to getting a mix of lower-level skills. Or whether it's better to max active skills of lower level mastery and put points into mastery itself later, or is it better to rush the chosen mastery to high level for higher-level skills while making use of only minimal amount of lower-level skills until then.

What I liked:
* Animations feel fairly "fluid".
* Overall the game gives me a bit of "Dungeon Siege 1" vibe, and also reminds me of TSII somewhat as well, though less so, because TQ's locations are a good deal more linear, with fewer side areas or open big spaces so far.

What I didn't like:
* How loot is presented. I may have ignored some vital settings, but by default you can't see the stats of items on the ground, and you can't pick up and hold items with a cursor to view them. Not to mention that tons of loot is simply obscured from the item highlight due to being "crappy"(?). Why does it even drop then?
* How different screens are presented. Why does opening a map or inventory window puts it in the middle of a screen with no ability to move it? There's no minimap either. It's extremely annoying. They should've went with either Divine Divinity style (movable windows) or the old-school ARPG style where windows opened to the side of the screen, not in the middle of it.
* Too many trash mobs combined with altogether too long distances between waypoints. Combined with the fact that when you log off and then log on, you spawn in the last visited city with portal and have to progress through the already-explored areas populated by the trash mobs that mostly exist to waste your time.
* Gameplay from the point of skill usage feels a bit too boring right now, seeing as I only have my weak base attack + 2x wolves to deal with enemies, so it's kinda bland and repetitive. Having most skills on cooldowns is also pretty annoying - I'd rather manage energy as a resource instead of waiting for cooldown to use skills that don't really feel "punchy". This is in contrast with TLII where, despite having annoyingly long cooldowns, skills felt actually impactful; or compared to Sacred 1, where with knowledge you could keep cooldowns really short and could also mix-and-match a variety of spells/abilities for your chosen class while keeping them strong.

Part of the reason I really like the game is that there are loads of options around character building. The answer to those questions depends on your chosen style as some like to ensure they are maxing from the beginning but some like to enjoy exploring the different builds.

For example, I really like using passive skills as you don't need to fiddle about much as you play. With active skills, note you can apply only one on your left click and right click so it would normally be a waste to spend lots of skill points on two different active skills using the left mouse button. Find one you like and enjoy. See the mastery and how it works as you level up.

On the second mastery, it is generally accepted that you level that a bit and add a few points to unlock new skills as you get an instant reward to unlock a passive buff but no further.

Later in the game you will be able to respec your skills for a price.

And it is quite common for players to try lots of different builds.

At the moment I am trying a Storm build with Intelligence and Dexterity but I am also adding points to my health to see where that goes.

A guy called POINAS did a guide on the various masteries and you might find that an interesting read. But note some of his tips might not apply any more due to this update.

http://www.titanquest.net/tq-forum/threads/25662-Poinas-Guide-for-All-Skills

As you might have noticed the game has three difficulty levels and I suppose any first build will get you through the first game as long as you don't damage your character - for example using a sword but then sticking all your points on Intelligence and using a magic mastery.

On the loot, the game makes a special point of dropping what your opponents are wearing. So there is a lot of loot. If you are attacked by Zombie wearing this and that, when it dies it will drop this and that.

Trying pressing the Z button, I think and it will highlight all loot and I suggest you only pick up the yellow and coloured loot. I think there is another button that excludes all the grey and white non magical loot so you don't even see it.

You respawn at the last well, not always in cities. And yes, everything is back again! Excellent!

Yes, the game is repetitive. Although there is a lot of fun to be had in character builds, ultimately the game is a hack and slash and you need to click a lot. However, I did find a pet character quite interesting as I used two masteries that had pets and they killed nearly everything in their path. Which also could get boring.

It's a great game, glad you tried it at least.

kangaroodev

Educated
This is awesome, I wasn't aware that there's a new edition of Titan Quest. I already completed Torchlight 2 two times, so this is a perfect chance to also play TQ.

Consul

Arbiter
Thinking about starting this game on hardcore (self imposed, because as far as I know there is no such thing in the game). Is completing the game with 0 deaths even possible in Anniversary Edition? There's much talking about how much harder it is compared to vanilla. I have only small experience with original TQ, any tips would be welcome. What class would be best suited for HC? Defense tree will probably be my best choice. With which other mastery should I couple it with? How many attribute points should I invest in health?

T. Reich

Arcane
Dunno about "difficult" really.

I played the game semi-blind with a petmancer and died like 6 times (played through normal) - 1 from the bullshit a3 neanderthal boss stun-meteor 1shot combo, 2 from typhon, 3 from random stupid deaths when I got to relaxed and got mobbed.

In my opinion, the game wasn't particularly hard. The only difficult parts were (some of) the boss monsters whose mechanics you sorta need to know and build against. Also, Typhon and Hades are just HUGE difficulty spikes compared to the rest of the game, I felt. The rest of the stuff scaled much more smoothly, including all other boss and hero mobs.

Carceri

Arcane
Thinking about starting this game on hardcore (self imposed, because as far as I know there is no such thing in the game). Is completing the game with 0 deaths even possible in Anniversary Edition? There's much talking about how much harder it is compared to vanilla. I have only small experience with original TQ, any tips would be welcome. What class would be best suited for HC? Defense tree will probably be my best choice. With which other mastery should I couple it with? How many attribute points should I invest in health?

Finished the normal game(I'm in epic act 2 now) with a 'nerfed' harsupex and I have 0 deaths so far. No attributes invested into health, I think it would be a waste. So, just pick whatever class you want and don't be dumb.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
New expansion has released:

At long last, Titan Quest continues its epic journey through the world of antiquity. A mysterious threat calls the heroes of Hades to the uncharted lands of northern Europe, where new enemies await and new powers and treasures are waiting to be found!

This new expansion to the acclaimed Anniversary Edition of Titan Quest adds a fifth act of unprecedented scope, along with many new and requested features including new weapon types and a 10th Mastery for your characters to learn.

KEY FEATURES
New story act with dozens of new quests
  • Brave the realms of the Celts, the Northmen and the Asgardian gods in the largest act to date
  • Revisit the other acts to find new items and secrets
New 10th Mastery
  • Become a Runemaster, a magical warrior fighting with both, spells and weapons
  • Combine newly learned with existing masteries for a total of 45 combinations
New experience curve
  • Reach level 85 and maximize your character’s potential
New weapons and gear
  • Find new and powerful gear, from colorful Celtic shields to famous weapons of Germanic legend.
  • New relics and charms for crafting, and a new option to improve even legendary items.
  • New thrown weapons strike the balance between range and speed!
New Enemies and bosses
  • From the denizens of Germany’s dark forests to the forces of Asgard itself.
Improved character customization
  • A wider variety of regional styles and color dyes
  • Finally: wear pants!
Technical and QOL improvements
  • New shaders and graphical effects
  • Improved ragdoll physics
  • Improved UI and combat feedback for total information
  • Improved control customization
  • Improved modding tools

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Out of nowhere without announcement by different studio. Wonder how they changed balance issues with AE.
Craving that Loki "250h to complete all stories" and Vikings: Wolves of Asgard I see...

New act?
If that was other game then it would be a good thing.
But Titan Quest it way, way too long for it's own good. New act only enlarge misery and torture that's happening by playing it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ss_f869c9401d04bf0c79ce6fee6eb4e865360e6a42.1920x1080.jpg
ss_d1803fe613c0d7f8ecbf6d1e977e4952ac418a9d.1920x1080.jpg
ss_c9c200e0b05ad03d476f68c03aa4acdfa59b014f.1920x1080.jpg
ss_5d4d2e986370e4134e22575608319e97cdc04599.1920x1080.jpg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Good news, everyone!

DO4MrJPUEAAN5qr.jpg

The downside is that the difficulty will probably be a pain to balance... one would finish the Campaign in much higher LV than 40, and with tons of amulets, runes and rare weapons you don't get starting fresh.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good news, everyone!

DO4MrJPUEAAN5qr.jpg

The downside is that the difficulty will probably be a pain to balance... one would finish the Campaign in much higher LV than 40, and with tons of amulets, runes and rare weapons you don't get starting fresh.
I had hoped that this was a possibility! I'm not picking it up any time soon, but one day...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So is the expansion worth it?
I played about 30% of it... it plays just like Immortal Throne and there's nothing that makes you feel it's new or from a different studio - which is honestly a bit of a disappointment after Grim Dawn evolved the formula.

Titan Quest is a cool game, but it was WAY too long for its own good, which endless boring plains filled with repetitive enemies. This expansion adds new item, runes, enemies and bosses - but also MORE endless plains with repetitive enemies, without really doing anything to address the game's flaws.

They only added some small spins... some boss fights have two phases, like the Bandit Leader losing his armor and running away after he loses 50% HP, but it feels very gimmicky. Enemies now also seem to have more special abilities, but you fight A LOT of bandits that act mostly the same. And they look worse than some monsters from the original TQ, 11 years ago.

Worse, if you import your character from Immortal Throne, the game is a cake walk in Normal Mode. And now anyone starting fresh will need to play the original campaign, Immortal Throne AND Ragnarok to finally unlock Epic & Legendary modes.

In the end, it feels like something made just for fans who wanted more content. If you never liked it or moved to Grim Dawn / Path of Exile, it won't change your mind.

Sentinel

Arcane
Thanks. I actually prefer TQ to GD, and am in the midst of another playthrough. Might pick it up later then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom