Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Lost Vikings 2 (SNES)
Any reason you played it on SNES and not on PC? Do you know how different the versions are or what makes the SNES version superior?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished the Deponia trilogy,not bad modern adventure games with good graphics cool protagonist,some good puzzles,some humor and an interesting setting.There are some drawbacks of course,there are some puzzles that are too illogical and sometimes the plot is too disjointed,these things are more prominent in the second game that is the weakest of the three.All in all if you are hungry for adventure games get them during a sale like I did

P.S. Loved the part where I tricked a black girl into servitude as a dancing monkey just to get a few bucks to buy some burritos I needed
:discohitler:

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Finished the Deponia trilogy,not bad modern adventure games with good graphics cool protagonist,some good puzzles,some humor and an interesting setting.There are some drawbacks of course,there are some puzzles that are too illogical and sometimes the plot is too disjointed,these things are more prominent in the second game that is the weakest of the three.All in all if you are hungry for adventure games get them during a sale like I did

There's a fourth Deponia game, but don't play it if you were content with the ending of Goodbye, Deponia.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

There's a fourth Deponia game, but don't play it if you were content with the ending of Goodbye, Deponia.

I know,I might get it when it goes on sale for 5 eurobucks

spekkio

Arcane

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Playing Breath of the Wild for the Switch. This game is fucking addictive, I can't stop playing it. The game map is yuge and encourages you to stray from the objectives path to explore all the time. I get myself very often going towards the objective, seeing something interesting along the way, going to check it out and when I realize I'm like on the other side of the map. Last time I had this much fun exploring was with underrail and I think that game has the best exploration in any game I've played in like the last 15 years, so it speaks a lot for BoTW.

I'm still at the beginning I guess(just left kakariko village) and already had quite a few epic moments. Best moment so far was when I was looking for some hidden shrine and ended up finding some centaur monster(his name was Lynel I think). I noticed it wasn't a boss and went in recklessly and got my ass whooped. Fucker is a regular monster but it's tough as fuck and has a shitton of patterns(it even changes according to HP. Could easily be a boss in pretty much any game). My best weapons did little damage to him(or he just has a lot of HP/defense) so it took me quite a few tries to kill him. The first time I was about to finally beat him(his HP was really low) I got struck by a fucking thunder and died(you have to drop metal weapons and armors when you start "sparking" because it attracts the thunder, but I didn't know or forgot about it). Very few games(ie. only the really good ones) make me rage like I did right there. That was the definitive proof the game is quality. And when I finally killed him he dropped some sweet ass loot(an 1-hand spear and a bow that shoots 3 arrows, although I broke my best weapons during the fight) - it was really rewarding and satisfying.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Caves of Qud. Early into it, but seems like a very, very solid roguelike. World, inhabitants, and lore are very interesting. Best thing about such a weird world in a game that doesn't hold your hand is the mystery, I don't know what I'm liable to run into or find at any given point. It's like playing Morrowind for the first time in that respect, a feeling games have been lacking for years. Very nice tiles.

Open world crime fest: Saints Row 3 and GTAV.
I've had these for a while, I'm just playing to see if I want to finish them. Mostly likely not. Biggest difference is SR games promote mayhem at every level while GTA has largely moved away from that. Even driving down the street in SR3 and accidentally hitting one gang member or cop can spiral into all out urban warfare. It gives you many sanctioned ways to spark shit off. Thing that keeps me going with GTAV is production values and I want to see what progression is like. Do I get a phat crib later on? Do more side activities appear on the map? I heard there are rival factions to fuck with, which is an improvement over GTA4, but I heard they are tucked away in certain finite locations. But I want to drive down the wrong street and have my car turned into swiss cheese like in GTA3. The GTA world has become too safe.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Playing Psychonauts. I'm a little confused, because everyone acts like its the greatest game ever, but its ok at best.
The voice acting and humor isn't great, the levels are too large and tedious to play through, especially if you want to pick up all of the shit, the hitboxes are weird, and there's a bunch of absolutely horrible design choices.
Such as making health and ammo items bounce around you instead of going to you unless you are at a certain rank and pay 400 psychic bucks, or making a required item 800 psychic bucks, resulting in a lot of grinding.

Vorark

Erudite
Played a couple of hours of Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links and dropped it.

I've always enjoyed the GBA games and thought this could be like old times, what with the lack of weird summoning methods. Unfortunately, the 3 card slot system is super limiting. You're also bombarded by messages telling you to "do this meaningless task for x times and you get y gems in order to buy z card packs". Game treats you like a rabbit chasing the carrot. I had never played a f2p title before so maybe that's the whole point. Disgusting.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Playing Psychonauts. I'm a little confused, because everyone acts like its the greatest game ever, but its ok at best.
The voice acting and humor isn't great, the levels are too large and tedious to play through, especially if you want to pick up all of the shit, the hitboxes are weird, and there's a bunch of absolutely horrible design choices.
Such as making health and ammo items bounce around you instead of going to you unless you are at a certain rank and pay 400 psychic bucks, or making a required item 800 psychic bucks, resulting in a lot of grinding.

The grinding can be cut down by about 2/3ds if you invest in the dowsing rod early and USE IT.

As for the levels? The mid-to-late game levels are the better ones, except for the last level which is universally panned.

I can't help you if you don't have a sense of humor and/had a rotten childhood, as childish humor is kinda a key element of the game.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

The grinding can be cut down by about 2/3ds if you invest in the dowsing rod early and USE IT.

As for the levels? The mid-to-late game levels are the better ones, except for the last level which is universally panned.

I can't help you if you don't have a sense of humor and/had a rotten childhood, as childish humor is kinda a key element of the game.

I used the dowsing rod. Its still a grind as you have to play a finicky mini game that involves running around mashing the use key. Its better than finding every surface arrow head on the map, but it still takes up time.
The mid to late levels may be the better ones, but that's not saying much. The only one I didn't particularly mind was the lungfish level.

The milkman level had an annoying puzzle where you had to shield. Cloaking doesn't work, for some reason. Hiding behind a tree doesn't work. You HAVE to use shield, and I found that to be terrible design because its counter intuitive. Why would a sniper bullet go straight through a tree, or an agent? Not to mention that you have to find all of these items, which means a bunch of backtracking and a lot of getting lost.
There were a couple of interactions I did like; if you try to cloak your way past the agents they say "please sir, we have infrared vision" which I thought was a nice touch, and clairvoyance was a cool little ability in that level, that sadly was completely useless everywhere else. Which again, was terrible design.

Waterloo was boring. A lot of backtracking, a lot fetch quests. Except unlike the milkman level there's no cool mechanics or puzzles. There's one puzzle where you have to use TK on a fireplace to get a coin, but that's only if the script allows you to use it, even though you can clearly see the coin beforehand. I hated that.

The stage level was ok. It wasn't bad, it wasn't too long and it did have an interesting mechanic in the form of the scene changing. The critic boss fight was pretty bad though.

Black velvet had a cool art style but annoying gimmick with the bull, which felt really buggy to me. There's one part of the level where you can't even climb a ladder before it somehow knocks you back, even though you could clearly see the space between Raz and the bull. That said, it does have a bunch of cool mechanics, and is probably my second favorite area in the game. Its also not that large and felt pretty concise compared to the other levels. The mini boss fights weren't great though.

Last edited:

circ

Arcane
Tried Wasteland 2 DC. Hadn't played W2 since I finished it when it came out which is what 2 years ago?

Made some chars. Saw the still shitty fov, shitty controls, atrocious scroll speed. Fuck you Fargo. DC my dick.

Freddie

Savant
I just started Brutal Legends. Music itself makes it 9/10 . I hope they will not remove tracks in the future like rockstar did...
The best part of game is soundtrack and tongue in cheek references and take to metal as 'lore'. It can be fun if you don't take it too seriously, don't play on difficulty level that doesn't feel fun and just blast trough it. If you are a completionist, consult maps / walk throughts, don't get stuck.

It takes bit of dive after mid / two thirds to the game. IIRC they had plans for one more stage battle in two thirds to the game, but run out of budget and it was never implemented, so it is like it is.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron

I'm sorry that Psychonauts doesn't have a Story Mode for you.

What you wrote and how you wrote it, it all rings of you not wanting to play the game in the first place. "Everything is terrible", "everything is boring", etc.

Sure the game isn't perfect, and it deserves its fair criticism for various things, but what is missing in your case is the mentality that's supposed to go with the game: That of a 10-year old.

The game intends you to hang back a bit and experiment with things. Punch Lili once and hear what she says about it. Use Clairvoyance on all the kids at the camp. The Milkman level has you using a variety of skills before you get to the book depository, it shouldn't take long for you to try using the Shield (especially since you don't have that many powers to begin with).

Seeing as you have yet to face the Meat Circus, I honestly say you might be better off just quitting now.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

I'm sorry that Psychonauts doesn't have a Story Mode for you.

What you wrote and how you wrote it, it all rings of you not wanting to play the game in the first place. "Everything is terrible", "everything is boring", etc.

Sure the game isn't perfect, and it deserves its fair criticism for various things, but what is missing in your case is the mentality that's supposed to go with the game: That of a 10-year old.

The game intends you to hang back a bit and experiment with things. Punch Lili once and hear what she says about it. Use Clairvoyance on all the kids at the camp. The Milkman level has you using a variety of skills before you get to the book depository, it shouldn't take long for you to try using the Shield (especially since you don't have that many powers to begin with).

Seeing as you have yet to face the Meat Circus, I honestly say you might be better off just quitting now.

Wait, so you need to have the mind of a 10 year old to really enjoy the game? That...explains a lot, actually.
Is the Meat Circus that bad? That area actually sounds interesting to me. One of the things I like about the game is how it has these sudden tonal shifts that take you off guard.
Like, in the Dance Party level, its all happy and stuff, but there's a secret room that represents Milla's repressed memory of
the orphanage she was in charge of burning down, killing all of the children inside

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom