Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Age of Decadence - Tips, Tricks and Spoilers

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So, can someone give me insight how various [checks] colorcode can be deciphered?
Also - as I understand, your Charisma score influence how many skills you need for passing a check in various con dialogs, when Impersonate, Persuade, Streetwise skills are used, right?
I just need to know, can I see in which dialogs Charisma does matter, to lessen routine "create PC, run there, tried doalog".

So, give me a helping hand.

Parabalus

Arcane
So, can someone give me insight how various [checks] colorcode can be deciphered?
Also - as I understand, your Charisma score influence how many skills you need for passing a check in various con dialogs, when Impersonate, Persuade, Streetwise skills are used, right?
I just need to know, can I see in which dialogs Charisma does matter, to lessen routine "create PC, run there, tried doalog".

If you open the .xml file of the conversation in scripts->text you will find the check breakdown there.

Falksi

Arcane
Have given this a few tries, once as a Mercenary the other as a Praetor, and I just can't get into it at the mo. Way too much dialogue and none-interactivity for my liking. Most dialogue options so far have fallen into the Witcher 3 bracket of "here's an option, but in reality all clicking on that does is move you on to the next dialogue screen which would have appeared anyway".

I've nowt against plentiful dialogue, but there's a heck of a lot of fluff & bollocks in there from what I've read so far. As a character, especially playing as a Merc, I often wanted to say "shut the fuck up & cut to the chase" which should have been an option IMO, especially roleplaying as a badass Merc.

I've only given it 4 hours, and another issue is that it runs a bit slow on my PC, so I'll put it to one side and return to it when I've upgraded my PC after Xmas. But so far it feels fairly flat & detatched, as if it plays itself based on your initial setup.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
especially playing as a Merc, I often wanted to say "shut the fuck up & cut to the chase" which should have been an option IMO, especially roleplaying as a badass Merc.
As a merc you're never far off from a fight and usually you can fight immediately. You're doing something wrong it seems.

Falksi

Arcane
especially playing as a Merc, I often wanted to say "shut the fuck up & cut to the chase" which should have been an option IMO, especially roleplaying as a badass Merc.
As a merc you're never far off from a fight and usually you can fight immediately. You're doing something wrong it seems.

Had plenty of fights, what was boring me was the shed load of fluff dialogue which I couldn't care less about. I rarely had a "cut to the chase" option.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Charisma + Skill is mostly used to avoid combat and, in certain cases, for better endings. Charisma is also important for a high reputation with each faction, which also affects endings and also affects some rewards in the game.

As the game progresses, the Charisma checks get higher and higher. If you plan to use Charisma to the end, expect endgame checks to be around 16+. Also note that if you skip fights, you wont get the combat skill sp.

More specifically here are the thresholds:
10: Obviously saves a lot of skill points on endgame charisma checks
9: Needed for a certain endgame path
8: Needed in some specific cases to get all the free rewards
7: 2nd most common choice to get most of the best rewards, but you stop relying on Charisma ~ the middle of act II. There's a 15+ charisma check that's usually the breaking point
4: dump! Most common choice

Jason Liang

Arcane

Had plenty of fights, what was boring me was the shed load of fluff dialogue which I couldn't care less about. I rarely had a "cut to the chase" option.

Have you tried Dungeon Rats?

Falksi

Arcane

Have you tried Dungeon Rats?

Not yet mate, although I do have it in my library to download. Will prob install it after playing through Shadowrun: Hong Kong

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
If you open the .xml file of the conversation in scripts->text you will find the check breakdown there.
Well, I don't wont to do it like that.

Charisma + Skill is mostly used to avoid combat and, in certain cases, for better endings. Charisma is also important for a high reputation with each faction, which also affects endings and also affects some rewards in the game.
Thanks!

As the game progresses, the Charisma checks get higher and higher. If you plan to use Charisma to the end, expect endgame checks to be around 16+. Also note that if you skip fights, you wont get the combat skill sp.
You mean combined Charisma+skill check?

For example, I didn't tried it yet, but with Charisma 8 in Forty Thieves quest about ore delivery I was need Steal+Impersonate = 5, be it 2+3 or 3+2.
Or meaybe it ws next quest?
I expect that with low Charisma - like 4 I need much more skill levels in them.

More specifically here are the thresholds:
10: Obviously saves a lot of skill points on endgame charisma checks
9: Needed for a certain endgame path
8: Needed in some specific cases to get all the free rewards
7: 2nd most common choice to get most of the best rewards, but you stop relying on Charisma ~ the middle of act II. There's a 15+ charisma check that's usually the breaking point
4: dump! Most common choice

Thanks, that's what I need! You guys are the best!
Also, I guess Charisma 4 is a only option for hybrid build? I decided to play it after one complete diplomatic and one combat playthrough.

Not yet mate, although I do have it in my library to download. Will prob install it after playing through Shadowrun: Hong Kong

It's a game where you don't have too much dialogs, but combat is hard.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Also another question sorry.

When in dialogs you see option [critical strike] that mean acting in dialog - what actual stat game counting? For example Teron have plenty of this.
Is it skill, OR rating of critical strike skill, that is a little independent from skill level?

EDIT
Also, same question about Perception - difference between 8 and 10?
I laready found how stat-skill checks were arranged in dialog with Lucius in Forty Thieves, so with 7 Per you can't see the trick, with 7 Per 2 Streetwise you can understand it's a trick but still can't see it, with 8 Per you can't see trick but with Per 8 Streetwise 2 you can undestan AND see trick and thus get 20 coins, but yo can't get dagger if you are not in guild, and with 9 Per you can get dagger even if you are not in guild.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Also another question sorry.

When in dialogs you see option [critical strike] that mean acting in dialog - what actual stat game counting? For example Teron have plenty of this.
Is it skill, OR rating of critical strike skill, that is a little independent from skill level?
The skill.

There are 3 types of checks:

- single check (must be this tall to ride...)
- double check (i.e. [intelligence][crafting] - must be smart enough to know what to do and handy enough to do it)
- sum (i.e. [charisma][persuasion], the sum checks give you more flexibility as you don't have to have the exact skill levels to pass the check, so if your Persuasion is a bit low but your Charisma is high enough, you'll still pass the check)

There are also hidden checks that won't appear unless you meet requirements.

Latelistener

Arcane
Also, I guess Charisma 4 is a only option for hybrid build? I decided to play at after one complete diplomatic and one combat playthrough.
From what I've seen most of the hybrid builds have 4, like 4-10-6-8-8-4.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Here is a breakdown useful for planning a hybrid. I haven't played since the patch to Dungeon Rats system, but the checks should still be the same.

In brief, if you want a hybrid maximize your access to content and skill points, the bare minimum is

5/7/4/8/7/4 with 5 points to distribute as you see fit.

9 DEX is needed for some critical strike checks, and is especially recommended for Assassins
5-6 CON helps survive some traps, reducing the need for the Trap skill, and is needed for one of the more popular endings
9+ PER is always helpful in combat
8+ INT helps with several difficult and extremely high INT+skill checks
7 CHA gives better rewards and helps with difficult CHA +skill checks (although they aren't as crucial as the INT checks)

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
There are 3 types of checks:

- single check (must be this tall to ride...)
- double check (i.e. [intelligence][crafting] - must be smart enough to know what to do and handy enough to do it)
- sum (i.e. [charisma][persuasion], the sum checks give you more flexibility as you don't have to have the exact skill levels to pass the check, so if your Persuasion is a bit low but your Charisma is high enough, you'll still pass the check)

There are also hidden checks that won't appear unless you meet requirements.

Can I somehow identify them?
Single checks - in these ()?
Double checks [][] mean I need exact fixed amount of skills?
Sum checks [][] can be Stat+skill and skill+skill too?
What about color code?
White, green? Red is no go.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Single checks - in these ()?
What about color code?

Not consistently. Sometimes its hidden and sometimes if your total is too low you'll only get a partial success (often with critical strike).

Still, the general rule of thumb is

Act I you don't need any skills > 4 (there are a few 5 checks though)
Act II you don't need any skills > 8 (6 is fine for most of it but there are some extreme checks towards the end of the chapter)

For critical strike, especially as an Assassin, you should have 9 Dexterity and get CS up to 6 as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
there is also no combat thief run with 4cha and low speech skills

O_O I currently doing it, you mean you just need different skills? First quest there already showing that you can solve quests there in 2-3 different way, enjoyed that MUCH.

9 DEX is needed for some critical strike checks

Wait, you mean like during infiltrating Palace in Teron? Was it hidden check, or you mean other options further in the game, when they listed in dialog line?

Jason Liang

Arcane
Um, just finish your TG run first, then come back and find more detailed spoiler information in this forum for a second run with a different route, such as AG or IG (which are two of the best routes).

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Act I you don't need any skills > 4
In Teron Inn I was need to pump Stealth to 5 or sleeping patrons woke up.
But maybe it was because of my loremaster garment? It has -5 penalty to stealth.

For critical strike, especially as an Assassin, you should have 9 Dexterity and get CS up to 6 as soon as possible.
That's sound not that much hybrid friendly.
But anyway, it is putting the cart before the horse, I'll do it only after diplomatic and combat playthrough.

Thievery Guild?

Assasin Guild?

Imperial Guard?

m, I'd just finish your TG run first, then come back and find more detailed spoiler information in this forum for a second run with a different route
That's what I'll do.
I intended to did Commercium route first, but man - that TG is so tempting...

Aslo, another "last question" - check for wallclimbing is a pure summary Str+Dex or as I understand it is require min 5 Str and 7 Dex right?

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Assassin is the best hybrid:D since you don't need to invest much in combat skills if you play well

Yes, there are a few thief skill 5 checks in Teron (for stealing, traps, lockpicking and stealth). Sometimes though you can get to the chest even if you wake the person up.

A good rule for thieves is Stealth > Lockpicking > Traps. You can't disarm the trap if you can't pick the lock, and you can't pick the lock if you can't get to the chest.

Stealing is just shit. It's never worth the investment (i.e. the points you get from stealing will always be less than the points you need to invest in stealing, and iirc there is nothing you can steal that's worth the skill points put into stealing it)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Meaning? Examples?

Yes. Best example is [intelligence][lore] or [dexterity][critical strike] when you need to kill 2-3 men and have to be fast enough.

Yes.

Oscar used green to indicate checks you passed (i.e. this line appeared because you already passed a hidden check, same applies to PC lines).

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
The only thing I don't like - I need 8 Dex for Feng house as Assasin.
Am I right that I need some bodycount for joining AG as Loremaster?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom