Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Archmage Rises - the play-how-you-want mage simulator - now available on Early Access

"Gridiron Football" ? What fucking twats -- I do believe the correct term is NFL FOOTBALL

"Gridiron Football" ? What fucking twats -- I do believe the correct term is NFL FOOTBALL

That seems a bit dramatic to describe a bunch of pansies wearing 25 pounds of body armour to play a simple rugby match. I think the proper term is hand-egg.

AMERICAN FOOTBALL is hardly rugby. I do not even hail from this continent (I'm Irish), and yet I have played American Football, years ago. Yet I can honestly state that AMERICAN FOOTBALL is NOT a game for pansies, no sir.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

That seems a bit dramatic to describe a bunch of pansies wearing 25 pounds of body armour to play a simple rugby match. I think the proper term is hand-egg.
That's a misconception. They wear armour but they dive into each other at full speed and incredible force. You would literally have deaths in rugby if people played like that. It is very rough, the protection is essential. You should watch some highlights.

Also this game looks deathly boring. I only watched 1 vid so far though.

ntonystinson

Scholar

UPDATE #50: ADVENTURE IN A REAL LIVING BREATHING WORLD
In this special 50th double length episode we show the tech we've been promising for 3+ years. It's real. It works. The simulated people, places, and monsters all intersect to create interesting choices and quests worth doing. We've summited everest. While there is still much work left to do, it's allllllll downhill from here.

In this episode:

1. We show the implementation of monsters and lairs in the game world
  2. The recent addition of bodies when someone dies
  3. Concerns about translation
  4. Introduce the Fan Hall of Fame
  5. Answer a fan question about lovers, spouses, and a harem

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The game is broken. Can't show you anything. But what we can talk about is all the weird and goofy things you can do in the worlds most advanced mage simulator.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

http://www.archmagerises.com/news/2017/12/9/update-52-road-to-build-11

UPDATE #52: ROAD TO BUILD 11

We're real close. And we need your help. We are bug fixing and testing. There are a lot of bugs to work through. So we had a meeting where we made a short list of the core features we will be publishing in Build 11. What we want to know is if it lines up with your expectations:

build+11+objectives.jpg

Is this what you are expecting, or is there something we missed? Here is the steam discussion:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/506480/discussions/0/1500126447395547233/

Right now we have 10 days before Christmas then we take some time off. The above is 12/14 days of work and as usual doesn't include things that could crop up. So the target dates for the build are:
  • Feature Complete Dec 22
  • Testing Jan 2-5
  • Release Jan 5
The release may be what we said of putting it on a beta branch first for the most dedicated to test before it goes to everyone else. We'll make that decision when we are done our internal testing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

In this short update we discuss progress on Build 11 and the addition of the new medieval insult engine thanks to the crowd sourcing of insults this week. Enjoy the video and don't be a goblin-bedder!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

http://www.archmagerises.com/news/2017/12/22/update-54-merry-christmas-2017

In this final update for 2017 we share our progress on build 11. We were supposed to be feature complete today. We came close:
  1. Real Quests - Missing Person working, Lair wipe needs more work and testing.
  2. Interesting Interactions with NPCs - not started
  3. Mage Tower, Cooking, Grinding - done.
  4. Equipment Weapons, Armor - just started, still outstanding
  5. World Simulation
    1. 2 Years - It's even slower now, so that's negative progress :)
    2. Soldier Job for NPCs - not started
    3. NPCs Healing at Healer - done
  6. Save/Load a game - done
  7. Playtesting - Starts Jan 2
We put in some fan requested features along the way:
  1. Accept or Decline quest reward
  2. Separate volume sliders for music and sound effects
So about the hat:

I was actually wearing it for a reason because there is a story behind it. But I totally forgot to mention it, so I'll have to tell you the significance in the new year. Something to look forward to. :)

Merry Christmas from all the team and Happy New Year. 2018 is going to be great!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

http://www.archmagerises.com/news/2018/1/6/update-55-nocrappybuild

Today is the day we predicted Build 11 would be coming out. And it almost did (on the beta branch), but further reflection revealed no one is served by a crappy build. It's better to test it, polish it, and make it as good as we can before subjecting people to it.

Why's This Keep Happening?
Because we're really not as bright as we pretend to be. :)

No Really, Why?
There is a steam forum thread about Build 11 that I update every so often about what is happening. If I could summarize the last 8 months in one sentence it would be:

“We keep thinking the game engine/simulator is more done than it really is.
So to complete Task X necessitates going and doing some work on the game world/engine/simulator before returning and actually doing Task X. Usually the estimate to Task X is accurate, but the refinement or additions to the simulator are completely unknown.

I like the line in the Sully when Tom Hanks says "Everything is unprecedented until it happens.

“In game dev everything seems to be working, until it isn’t.
For illustration purposes I'll relay this week's issue:

My task was to make an NPC soldier job who would help fight back against monster incursions to town worked hexes. Based on having everything I needed: NPC jobs already worked, NPC interactions with monsters and lairs already worked, so I estimated 2 days. Well it turned out:
  1. NPCs couldn't equip weapons. It turns out the whole concept of equipping anything was built for the player only, so it needed to be moved up (base class) to any character (NPCs, Monsters) in the game. Now any NPC can have a full equipment loadout, just like the player. This means enemies can have real equipment loadouts that drive their combat stats. Someone attacking you with a powerful sword? Kill 'em and you can have it. Guards in a rich city will have better weapons and armor and do more damage than in crappy towns. This is much closer to Pen & Paper RPG.
  2. Soldier had to realize he didn't have a weapon, so go and buy one. Based on his weapon skill and money available, and what the weaponsmith is able to create.
  3. The way Lairs "owned" territory was creating issues, so we brainstormed a new better way that, ironically, is closer to Pen & Paper rpgs: the patrol. Monsters would be recruited at a lair, then launched as patrols/raiders to travel within a certain distance. While better, this is a pretty big change to how lairs function, and low impact for Build 11 so we decided to fix what we needed for the soldier by rewriting part of the lair to pave the way to monster patrols, which you will be able to see on the map, in the near future. This took better part of a week.
  4. With all the above done, create a new way of triggering an interaction between NPCs and monsters. That then results in combat (if it is a soldier) which we had to then create a quick simulating version.
#1, 2, 4 took about 2 days to do. It's the extra week of #3 that caused the big delay. It left no time for testing. The build gets pushed back.

Every time the simulator doesn't do what we need, we revisit it, improve it, and it becomes one step better in being the most advanced role playing engine ever devised. And while we still encounter "holes" in it, each "patch" makes it more robust enabling it to do wildly more than we ever imagined.

So when is Build 11?
Sometime near the end of Jan. I am away for almost 2 weeks, so we have to see where we are at when I return. We're close. Real close.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm really looking forward to this - as most here are, I guess.
However, I'm also afraid with each update that they will say "Oops, we ran out of money! Will stop making the game." - as most here are, I guess.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Nic didn't make a video last week (Boo!), but the team is back together again (Yeah!) and we continue to battle bugs as we prepare the release. And we discuss a fan's suggestion we do a kickstarter.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Inside Build 11 seems to be nice, cozy, comfy and warm. Just like in mother's womb. Or inside some peasant girl.
It's not moist ready yet so we have to wait a bit more before we can penetrate enter it.
Any day month now...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom