Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

axedice

Cipher
Trading Card Game. But is there a trading mechanic in Gwent? It's rather a CCG afaik.

Here is the full interview with english subs btw.

Nothing here suggests the media buzz we've seen, but clickbaiting is a profitable business still

Paul_cz

Arcane
wut? cdpr's already started microtransactions in their games?

:flamesaw:

It is a pretty normal thing to buy card packs in collectible card games. Not just digital but physical as well. Particularly considering that the game is free to play.

Wake me up when they start putting that shit into their big $60 games.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Well technically they mentioned nowhere that there won't be loot boxes or microtransactions. I know, I know they said things like no BS, honest gaming, no hidden catch, you get what you've paid for etc.

You'd surprised (or not) how much those definitions could be interpreted differently by different people. If you asked any marketing guy or suit in charge there is nothing BS or hidden in loot crates nor you don't get what you've paid for. You're told in advance how much in game cheat resources you'll get and you always get that exact amount of it. What's BS or not honest about it?
:troll:

In short - so far not a single company in gaming has proved that their ethics and style of games has not suffered and dramatically changed for the worse once they entered big boy league and serious money started flowing in, profit only focused shareholders either replaced original owners or slowly bought their power over company and the company became trully mainstream while all the guys that made previous games were gone. What are companies? Are they logos and shares? Or are they set of principles, people, their ethics, dreams and products? Is Bioware 2017 or Bethesda 2017 same as Bioware 2004 or Bethesda 1996? We'll see if CD Projekt Red will be the first one to resist and stay the same (spoiler! they already succumbed to it and Witcher 3 was mechanically and RPG wise considerably less RPG then Witcher 1) but I'm doubtful because we're talking about powers far greater then them. We're talking about Corporate Greed.

...not gobunism, that's for sure. Calm down commie scum. ;)

Streamline, games as service, reaching wider audience...

Decline,decline always starts with same buzzwords.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

7jLZCOJ.png

Ha ha, whoops.

180 turnaround in 5 days.

:incline:

Sentinel

Arcane
I didn't open that YongCuck vid, but if they actually did promise no microtransactions for CyberPunk 2077, I'll have to say I simply don't believe them and I will be genuinely impressed if they are speaking the truth.
I can't imagine a triple A game released in this day and age without microtransactions.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I can't imagine a triple A game released in this day and age without microtransactions.
I'm conflicted. I'm not sure whether that's more true or frightening. How were we so easily and quickly (in span of couple of years) conditioned to accept that as new norm and normal?

Fuck...

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
There's been so much ridiculous fear mongering from vloggers looking to make a buck that it's actually worrisome CDPR has to defend itself like this. It's even worse because people are lapping it up due to a news vacuum over Cyberpunk 2077. I mean, you'd expect CDPR of all modern devs had earned some modicum of trustworthiness at this point.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
There's been so much ridiculous fear mongering from vloggers looking to make a buck that it's actually worrisome CDPR has to defend itself like this. It's even worse because people are lapping it up due to a news vacuum over Cyberpunk 2077. I mean, you'd expect CDPR of all modern devs had earned some modicum of trustworthiness at this point.
NO company (a money making machine) is resistant to the sweet, sweet, sweet temptation of earning millions more than it would otherwise only because of some childish notions like ethics, making good games and being gamer friendly. Every investor worth his salt can tell you that if he can choose between shares of EA or CD Projekt he'll rather go with EA. To him a 'good guy' is EA not the other way around.

Now in this case, yes there has been certain amount of histeria, yes Yong Cuck is obnoxious and annoying but on the other hand being pre-emptive in this case is a really good thing because it sends very strong message to CD Projekt in advance that being good guy is profitable and desired by the market. CD Projekt and similar companies should be really thankful to EA and other morons because all they have to do is point finger (as they kinda just did) and say: We're not like them, come over here, we won't fuck you in the ass. And who would have expected that entire market would respond positively to that (especially now when even biggest Bethesda fans have dumped them and are in search of new company).

If Obsidian and CD Projekt are not completly retadred, and if they play their cards right they could take an entire huge piece of market previously firmly held by their competition thanks to their competition's not only greed but stupid, uncontrolled greed. Being pre-emptive in Iraq has been mistake but not when it comes to discovering cancer early or sending strong message to CD Projekt Red that as long as you stay the same not only previous but also bunch of new customers can't wait to give you money.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Every investor worth his salt can tell you that if he can choose between shares of EA or CD Projekt he'll rather go with EA
I am not sure. Being big doesn't mean earning lots of money. More often it means burning lots of money. That is why they may need these practices - when you hit 100 million budget for your game, perhaps selling it for just 60$ may just not cut it anymore. But if you don't, you're getting eaten by competition. Like, EA sports games - they sorta have a monopoly on those because they invest into all these graphics, animations, big names, voices and whatever.

Why do you need lotsa money? Aside from having a private jet and drinking pina coladas on your private island. From my small and pointless knowledge of business, it's like a hamster wheel. You really can't stop. If you don't take a place (like a place for your shop), someone else would take it and you're out of luck forever. So you mindlessly buy places (like IPs) just to stay in the game.

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
especially now when even biggest Bethesda fans have dumped them and are in search of new company
[citation needed]
Lower sales of Fallout 4 after the release than expected, backlash against their season pass, backlash against their Creation Club which is basically microtransactions, overall zeitgeist of youtubers, fans everywhere from forums, facebook, twitter to comments even reviewers who all now agree that Bethesda needs to step up their game and when you have half decent alternatives you can't get away with releasing broken games made in 2 decade old engine over and over again. Those are just some of the things which have led to Bethesda no longer having unanimous praise it used to have only few years ago wherever you went and which used to piss me off so much.

It's very apparent and you can see it everywhere from steam reviews to even bloody IGN game 'jurnulists'.

Every investor worth his salt can tell you that if he can choose between shares of EA or CD Projekt he'll rather go with EA
I am not sure. Being big doesn't mean earning lots of money. More often it means burning lots of money. That is why they may need these practices - when you hit 100 million budget for your game, perhaps selling it for just 60$ may just not cut it anymore. But if you don't, you're getting eaten by competition. Like, EA sports games - they sorta have a monopoly on those because they invest into all these graphics, animations, big names, voices and whatever.

Why do you need lotsa money? Aside from having a private jet and drinking pina coladas on your private island. From my small and pointless knowledge of business, it's like a hamster wheel. You really can't stop. If you don't take a place (like a place for your shop), someone else would take it and you're out of luck forever. So you mindlessly buy places (like IPs) just to stay in the game.

The problem is not that they want profit. Or bigger profit than the last time. Problem is that they want impossible. They want infinity. They want every time to be more profitable then the last one by a margin of 10x. Every. Single. Time. They want to sell their product to E V E R Y O N E. Of course that's not attainable and that's why they fail. That's why EA is necromancer. Because they drive every single company they acquire to death sooner or later. And then they get fresh corpse. That's why they rely so much on IPs. Cause that's LITERALLY all they've got. Brand recognition. Not EA's. But other's. NO ONE buys game cause they have EA logo on them. NO ONE. They always bite their tongue and buy it anyway cause it's their favourite franchise. Or cause no one else is allowed to make such games.

I'd never want to own or work for such company or for CD Projekt to become like that. Or any other company to turn into something similar. Still it's important for EA and other similar companies to be what they are. Bad guys. Darkness. Without darkness there is no light. Light could be defined as lack of darkness. CD Projekt and others who share similar values need to understand that and I think for the most part CD Projekt does. For now...

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I'm conflicted. I'm not sure whether that's more true or frightening. How were we so easily and quickly (in span of couple of years) conditioned to accept that as new norm and normal?

People didn't care because they didn't buy them, and by the time they realised what was going on, they had became very deeply ingrained as standard industry practice.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Still worth reminding them from time to time that their reputation and respect among the community are not unconditional.
Studios that grow large and enjoy commercial success tend to become complacent.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

Developers know for single player micro-transactions are viewed universally as paid "cheat codes". It's risky to even justify DLC to single player crowds because they demand quality before even considering it - also because internally the projects are lead by the creative team, actual gamers.
Companies can only pull off micro-transactions with multiplayer games, as online environments cultivate trivial shit like this and the project leads aren't gamers, they are salesmen. The only way they can make this work without destroying their own reputation, is by creating two completely separate games, in one box - like someone pointed out with Rockstar and GTA-V >//< Online.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
SO is this game now some shitty MMO?

no, it will be a shiny cinematic interactive movie with a set protagonist doing cybepunkish things in a vast world with but with the depth of a frog's knee regarding RPG mechanics and gameplay freedom and with the diversity in tactical department same as the diversity found in the allowed sexual positions of amnish people..

Keppo

Arbiter
Im confident that we'll have classes in CP 2077, because it's core system from PnP. They will work probably different than in other video games tho, but i dont think that's a bad thing because "classes" in Cyberpunk are very different than standard classes like Warrior, Necromancer, Hunter, Rogue etc and they need to have different approach...

WECXE3f.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom