Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Played for a few hours, not really my thing since I've finished Demon's Souls and burned out on the whole genre/combat but I found it more appealing than DS, I prefer the linear levels instead of big open spaces (or the impression of) and the different stances give the combat more variety plus the skills to unlock, maybe another time.

Harpsichord

Arcane
How important are stances? I use my odachi mid stance only, i don't like the strong and light stances attacks. idk with other weapons tho.
I use odachi and while I see how you could feel that way, it really does help to switch stances. As far as I can tell, many enemies have a weakspot(usually somewhere on the head) that you can hit and knock them down. It can be more or less difficult depending on the stance you're using vs the enemies' movesets to hit that weakspot.

Also, dealing with changes in elevation is made a lot easier. If somebody is on a downhill slope from you, it's significantly more difficult to hit them with the mid stance odachi attacks than either the high or low stance attacks.

It took some getting used to but I change stances and even weapons in midfight pretty regularly now and am doing better for it.

polo

Magister
How important are stances? I use my odachi mid stance only, i don't like the strong and light stances attacks. idk with other weapons tho.
I use odachi and while I see how you could feel that way, it really does help to switch stances. As far as I can tell, many enemies have a weakspot(usually somewhere on the head) that you can hit and knock them down. It can be more or less difficult depending on the stance you're using vs the enemies' movesets to hit that weakspot.

Also, dealing with changes in elevation is made a lot easier. If somebody is on a downhill slope from you, it's significantly more difficult to hit them with the mid stance odachi attacks than either the high or low stance attacks.

It took some getting used to but I change stances and even weapons in midfight pretty regularly now and am doing better for it.

I didn't understand that part, thanks. I was like why do they go down so easily sometimes, and others not... I thought it had something to do with their stamina bar at first, but no.. That knockdown spot is a good tip.
Also, im trying dual blades and yeah, i can see how different stances are effective. Didn't see it with the odachi tho, mid stance moveset looked so much stronger and effective than both strong and light stances.

Harpsichord

Arcane
I didn't understand that part, thanks. I was like why do they go down so easily sometimes, and others not... I thought it had something to do with their stamina bar at first, but no.. That knockdown spot is a good tip.
As far as I can tell, both are relevant but stamina is moreso to human opponents and the weakpoint moreso to yokai opponents. Also, the weakpoint seems to be on some sort of a timer, I think...:shrugs:

Hyperion

Arcane
Got a bit of Glamurai on. Picture's blurry as fuck, and I couldn't be bothered with taking a screenshot and uploading it. D_X, what was your chest / glove combo? I don't recognize that chest insignia at all for some reason. I know the helm is Masamune's, though.
Helm is Greater Good
Armor is Nanban
Gloves are Nanban
Pants are Unusual
Boots are Yatagarasu

Hyperion

Arcane
Hahahaha, the sandals thing is the WORST. How the hell am I supposed to be intimidated by a dude charging into battle with his fucking toes showing?

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Heh, Nue was a total pushover, got him on second try. End level boss the same, third try. Ninjutsu rocks, as does the strategist set. Or maybe I'm just too overleveled for these missions, go figure.

Pink thunder puppy is extremely cute, lol.

i just finished iga castle mission and beat giant toad at lvl 66. next main-quest mission(ogress) is for lvl 78. where the hell am i supposed to get that exp? so far i did every subquest available. i did not do any twilight mission cause they all were like for lvl 195 or 156 etc. I know i lost couple times a lot of amirita by dying before reaching the spot i died first time. do you people grind for certain items or repeat missions one after another?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So just started this yesterday and I like it already. Since I'm in the oldfag category nowadays can you guys tell me which weapon is better without changing stances?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Say, I want to use them at a minimum level. Already under pressure from timing ki pulse thingy after attacks. Already using a katana but my second is an axe right now, it got some sweet area swipe and good damage.
At first I want to "roll" with a heavy tanker character but games fast pace captivated me. This run will be learning the game for me and probably I'll go full ninja in my second playthrough.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
What I've found so far is that, although it makes for a good exercise, you really don't HAVE to time the ki pulse all the time, except in certain types of battles (namely big yokai with aura in tight spaces). In other cases you focus more on breaking the enemy's guard as quickly as possible and going for the finisher. In other words, it's helpful, but you can build your character around not relying on it as much.

The stances, on the other hand, are extremely useful and will make your life much easier. Some bosses and bigger enemies will kick your butt if you don't go low stance. Some enemies are completely trivialized by going high stance since their weak spot is on their head. Mid stance is primarily for blocking/parrying, which works fine in the first few missions as you're fighting mostly human enemies, but you can't block most yokai, so it becomes a poor choice fairly quickly.

So I'd encourage you to learn to use the stances. It's kind of like rock-paper-scissors with the enemy, in real time. It helps immensely if you use the right one for the job: low to dodge, mid to parry, high to pummel. Some weapons are also naturally better in certain stances; for example, dual sword in low stance is ridiculously good, while axe in mid-stance is probably one of the worst ideas ever.

Finally, each stance has its own unique moves (basic + unlockable), so it's worth exploring those before committing to a weapon and/or stance.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Damn, had to lower my res to 1920x1080. The later levels were almost slideshows.

Just spent... way too long fighting the ice lady, the most rage-inducing boss so far. Used up all my fire and earth enchantments. Finally, I gave up. Takes a lot to make me give up after trying so long. I wanted to go to bed a while ago. Came close a few times. Another day.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Sigh. I bought this just now and of course didn't bother checking mouse support because DS3 had it working fine and DS2 was pretty ok aside from the doubleclick crap.

I had a bad feeling when I booted it up and saw the pre-start menu in an actual windows window... Like it's a port from 1999 or whatever.
Then I press launch game and of course Nioh.exe has stopped working.

Did they hire ex Bethesda employees to make the port?

Worked the second time around though, so off we go. I have a mouse cursor but it does nothing. Some screens/vids you can only skip with the e-key, some other vid with delete. Weird. Had to hunt around for that last one.
Can't setup any controls except for gamepad. Even though there are clearly keyboard binds you can't see or change them!?
Mouse cursor appears if I move the mouse, but it does nothing. Won't turn the camera in-game either, or attack when I click.

I bought an xbox controller just to try it out on Dark Souls 1/2 a while ago only to realize that it's at best a side-grade form kb+mouse for these console titles... You can't control the camera and use the buttons simultanously, for example, but kicking and such is easier.
The char not attacking towards where the camera is pointing is another big issue imo.
These things together are basically why you even have a lock-on function. People can aim ok-ish in Halo but god forbid they should have to aim manually in their third person titles or something.

To think we had perfectly functional controls in Heretic 2, Rune etc... Didn't need a lock-on there and could turn the camera while sprinting simultaneously. I wish those jap designers would just take another look at their stupid controls already.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
<snip> Mid stance is primarily for blocking/parrying, which works fine in the first few missions as you're fighting mostly human enemies, but you can't block most yokai, so it becomes a poor choice fairly quickly. <snip>

Hmmm. I'm not sure about this so far. I know you can't PARRY the bigger Yokai, but I'm blocking most of their normal attacks just fine in mid stance with my spear. It's only the attacks when they glow briefly with the black 'negative flame' effect, (for want of a better term),that can't be blocked. Granted, I've only just completed the second area, but I've seen 4 of the big Yokai so far- the horned, the one eye, the wheelmonk and the long tongue dudes and I could block all them ok.

It was the poison centipede boss fight when I realised just how awesome block in mid stance was. It went from an exercise in frustration to the easiest boss ever just by blocking instead of trying to dodge.

Definitely going spear as main, I'm in love with the range and all the stances seem awesome. Great poke and decent AoE as well. Discovered all you need to raise familiarity is to have weapon equipped, rather than used. D'oh! Wish I'd have known that before as I wasted time messing with other weapons when I could have been perfecting my spear arts!

Ezekiel

Arcane
Takes a lot to make me give up after trying so long.
Not really, someone beating your team also makes you give up
I don't mind merely losing. He didn't just beat my team; he crushed it every time. Also, I didn't quit; the game crashed. However, I played against him one on one later, stayed the whole ten minutes, lost spectacularly and then received some good advice. I'm now in his crew. I probably couldn't have done some of the following (the dual PT92 parts in the offices) without his advice.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Just spent... way too long fighting the ice lady, the most rage-inducing boss so far. Used up all my fire and earth enchantments. Finally, I gave up. Takes a lot to make me give up after trying so long. I wanted to go to bed a while ago. Came close a few times. Another day.
Wow, amazing how simple something like this is when you finally decide to give it a rest and try again later. I just did it in two attempts! The exhaustion and frustration weren't doing me any good.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Thanks, beat him last night by using that tactic and abusing poor AI (kiting around the stone). The Quick Change scroll was also a life saver (literally, lol). Took a gazillion tries, but beat him eventually. The reward was so not worth it though :argh:

I hear he can be made much easier with some debuff talismans, but unfortunately I didn't have enough capacity to use them.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Having fun with them axes. Charge attacks seems to fuck everything that human. Not fond of whirlwind attack but it has it uses.
Dunno but liking this more than Souls game for now.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Sloth (to lower his speed to snail's pace) + Weakness (lowers his defences considerably) + Carnage (considerably increases your damage). I just beat him on Way of the Demon in 2 tries with this and that mission is some 200+ levels above me.
I think I saw a video mention Lifeseal specifically for Tachibana, since most of the fight comes down to depleting his stamina bar.

Hmmm. I'm not sure about this so far. I know you can't PARRY the bigger Yokai, but I'm blocking most of their normal attacks just fine in mid stance with my spear. It's only the attacks when they glow briefly with the black 'negative flame' effect, (for want of a better term),that can't be blocked. Granted, I've only just completed the second area, but I've seen 4 of the big Yokai so far- the horned, the one eye, the wheelmonk and the long tongue dudes and I could block all them ok.
I totally meant to write "parry" there, sorry. I suppose you could tank youkai with block if you've got the build/gear to back that up. I myself prefer to dodge.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Yeah, I should probably look into the buffs/debuffs. Didn't really level any of the magic stats so far except Spirit to 12 for max initial guardian bonus.

Now that I think about it, the way I completed that mission, if it was an actual duel, William would've probably been completely dishonored and laughed at. Especially considering that the last half of the battle involved mostly running around the stone and hurling kunai/shuriken at the bastard :D

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
BTW do I need to perfect ki pulse to purify unholy ground? I pulsed inside those a few times nothing happened.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom