Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Beta 18 is out.

Some new stuff. But it seem new gameplay has completely stopped being developed. Shame, since there isn't that much to do in the game after you establish a colony.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Seems to me that the devs are trying to expand more on the caravan/questing/raiding concept than further delving into the colony-sim itself. The last few patches the world travel/event system was pretty barebones but it's slowly getting more interesting. Apart from adding more threatening monsters/raids and more buildings/personalities/biomes to the list (which is still happening, albeit not nearly as much as it used to), there's no going deeper on the colony-sim part - and mods usually take care of any need one might have in that regard.
Further improving the event/quest system on the other hand is more akin to what adventure mode eventually became for DF. Combining adventure mode and the colony-sim could make for very interesting gameplay in the future.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh, I just noticed it went from "Alpha 17" to "Beta 18". A mere semantic change, but feels like a milestone of sorts.
incline.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why I think "gameplay" has stopped being developed, doesn't beta mean feature complete?

Seems to me that the devs are trying to expand more on the caravan/questing/raiding concept than further delving into the colony-sim itself. The last few patches the world travel/event system was pretty barebones but it's slowly getting more interesting. Apart from adding more threatening monsters/raids and more buildings/personalities/biomes to the list (which is still happening, albeit not nearly as much as it used to), there's no going deeper on the colony-sim part - and mods usually take care of any need one might have in that regard.
Further improving the event/quest system on the other hand is more akin to what adventure mode eventually became for DF. Combining adventure mode and the colony-sim could make for very interesting gameplay in the future.

Problem I have with the caravan stuff is that you don't have enough colonists to do those fun things. In Dwarf you can lose 90% of your dwarves and still recover. In Rimworld taking that risk is often just not worth it - and by that point you have a surplus of colonists there is no real reason to trade/attack (most often anyway) since you are already well-stocked on everything. Dwarf also has this problem though.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I get the impression from this latest video that you're now "supposed to" go on the journey across the globe to the escape ship ... travel is not something I've done a lot of yet, but maybe it would be fun to actually start doing that. Colonize/build up resources/travel/stop to grow more food/caravan up again does seem like a potentially more interesting gameplay arc. I'm just so used to building a fortress that trying something else at this point seems kind of scary.

axx

Savant
It's been a while since I've played Rimworld. So have the latest updates been emphasizing colony building/survival aspect of the game or is this becoming social experiment where you have to micromanage & babysit your colonists so that they don't get one of those gazillion mental breaks that contaminate your colony and spiral it into oblivion?

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The last few updates have mostly been about improving your interaction with the world itself. You can create caravans that can travel the world-map now. You can do a bunch of stuff that way:
-create a second/third/n-th colony for a specific reason (prison, mining, farming, meth-lab)
-travel to bases from other factions to either trade with them or raid them, which is one of the best ways to get a shitload of prisoners
-travel to a pre-built space-ship so you can "complete" the game without having to build one yourself
-v17 and v18 added a bunch of quests you can get, where you need to fulfill a certain objective (raid a specific base, trade a specific resource, deliver slaves etc.) to get a reward. during v17 those rewards were fairly shitty and not worth the effort, with v18 those rewards are usually unique-items that you cannot get any other way
-while fairly specific, I usually build a couple of pod-launchers while keeping a fairly huge army of animals. Imagine being one of those guys in a hostile base, when suddenly a dozen or so pods drop from the sky. While inspecting them, a single pod drops further away from all the others, with the animal tamer in them. On command all the other pods open and a few dozen crazed grizzly bears appear, ripping you and your buddies to pieces in a matter of seconds.

While travelling the world you can get attacked of course, either by wild animals or raiders. While your caravan is away you will obviously still have to fend off raiders in your main-colony, and that is fairly risky since raid-sizes and their equipment are based on the total value of your colony. Unless you have a decent defence-setup the remaining colonists will have trouble defending your colony. Since colonists can carry the travelling-rations, medicine, weapons and trading goods all by themselves, you have to get some sort of pack-animal first. A couple of muffalos or alpacas usually do the trick, although if you wanna play a band of gypsies that travel from plot to plot, always rebuilding their colony from scratch while taking their belongings with them, you will need a fairly big horde of them.

axx

Savant
That actually sounds very interesting. Nice idea to just dump your colony and go to mad max 2-style voyage to reach spaceship. It seems though that the regular updates are far between, understandingly with the level of complexity the game has reached. Has he talked about further plans for the game?

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So have the latest updates been emphasizing colony building/survival aspect of the game or is this becoming social experiment where you have to micromanage & babysit your colonists so that they don't get one of those gazillion mental breaks

In my experience, the mental breaks mostly occur when you're doing badly at the building/survival part of the game. They're basically punishments for when you fail to keep your people adequately fed and sheltered.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I highly recommend the mod Tiberium for extra challenge. It acts like it is in C&C lore. It destroys everything it touches, especially squishy biological entities.

F4AFCEF7BB70BE2CF1B11357892E2DE7D7B5CAAF

Might actually have to make use of the caravan thingy and establish a new colony if I can't stop this spread. Gulp.

Mortmal

Arcane
I get the impression from this latest video that you're now "supposed to" go on the journey across the globe to the escape ship ... travel is not something I've done a lot of yet, but maybe it would be fun to actually start doing that. Colonize/build up resources/travel/stop to grow more food/caravan up again does seem like a potentially more interesting gameplay arc. I'm just so used to building a fortress that trying something else at this point seems kind of scary.
It works especially well with a tribe starts, you tame a few muffalos to carry your stuff , build a basic barrack then move further. Without save scumming its a lot harder than just building a fortress and teching up to space ship although.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Update on the Tiberium infestation:

YJdTNcm.jpg

Tiberium closing in on all directions. I did some research into the substance but it was all too late, so I decided to pack up and leave. This area was becoming a death-trap.

N1pCmXW.jpg

Founded a new colony away from this hell-hole which looks like this now. The living area has become an insect infestation. I actually planned to maybe go back and grab some stuff that I couldn't carry with me, but looking at it now...

J3dJJNC.jpg

Some time later:

Insect infestation is spreading and so of course is the Tiberium one. Disgusting mutant bioblobs have been taking over the area more and more since nothing now can stop them. My turret did cut down their size, but those turrets are now destroyed. At times the insects and the visceroids fight.

Tiberium. Not even once.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Never tried Hardcore SK but playing with the Lovecraft mods now, as tribals. Star Vampires man...

Dabbling in occult stuff can yield some interesting results as well..

HC SK is pretty damn good, I rarely bother with modpacks, but not only everything is set to play well with each other it's also pretty decently thought out. Progression feels smoother, more involved and a bit harder, but in a good way. You actually start as someone would in situation like that, with sticks and stones. To progress beyond that you'll have to invest into a proper production (you can't just start making top-tier things, just becase you know the technology), food is not as abundant (due to the seed system, but gathering is a viable option early on that plays well into the whole survival dynamic), combat is redesigned to be less forgiving, not to mention a bunch of events, voting system, new diseases and disorders, hygiene, civ like tech tree etc.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

That actually sounds very interesting. Nice idea to just dump your colony and go to mad max 2-style voyage to reach spaceship. It seems though that the regular updates are far between, understandingly with the level of complexity the game has reached. Has he talked about further plans for the game?

Actually with the drop pod you can just keep building launch outposts as you advance towards the escape ship.
It's the safer way with less RNG factor that screws you over. But the supply chain of fuel and raw materials can be a bit of a nightmare.

A pack of Dark Youngs and Raptors contesting for the same turf.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

2HHs6Xo.jpg

DY was fleeing like a little bitch at first, but then turned around and rekt raptor pretty badly, in the end stamina prevailed and raptor took him down, roared with his annoying ass sound byte for the last time and collapsed from accumulated injuries. Both will bleed out in about 3 hours, t was a good day at Colonyscopy.

It's kinda nice to have them around actually, they are a good raid deterrent + if I time it right I can snatch their kills without catching aggro. They do limit my folks and pets from scavenging around a bit, but beggars can't be choosers.

Last edited:

Nirvash

Liturgist
They do limit my folks and pets from scavenging around a bit, but beggars can't be choosers.

Yes, until you get some infestation or poison/psy ship on the other side of map.

What are the star vampire spawn rules? I had one sleeping(?) in one of my power rooms and it made my people run away for like a year. (i was like, wtf?)
But they sure are weak, a DY killed 2.

One once self tamed. (they make really crap pets, huge morale debuff and food needs)

I also discovered that rim of madness bug glittertech. (new turrets do not attack)

Well it was the early days of my colony I barely had any ammo/weapons, now I cleared the map pretty much, raptor's leather makes for a good cushion. Only that full moon wolf creature was pretty tough, still went down like the rest of them. Ammo supply is running low though and latest raids consisted of dipshits with bows and arrows, might have to go tribal on the locals real soon.

Not sure about spawn rules, they are preceded by a laugh and a warning that something comes, they usually appear from the map border and are invisible till the first attack.

I'm yet to encounter any bugs except with the guns from Rim of Madness pack (i'm running HC SK, RoM and Tiberium), it doesn't have an ammo type and while you can shoot it, it just doesn't do any damage. I'm not too bothered by it, all the more fuel for incinerator.

Finally got everything up and running (more or less) might start going on them new random encounters. Tried to save some chick but underestimated what is actually required to do so (tent, bed, meds and so on), at least I got some nice synthread pants out of the ordeal.

Last edited:

zeitgeist

Magister
What is the current state of mods for Rimworld (for this patch)? I last played it 2 or 3 versions ago, and there was Hardcore SK as a sort of "all relevant mods in one" thing, but it was still missing a lot of cosmetic and other additions or had older versions of them, so I had to spend a lot of time getting dozens of mods to work together instead. Should I just get HC SK now or should I prepare myself for getting everything separately again?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom