Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline "It needs a deep story to become GoTY"

Gerrard

Arcane
I'm surprised Zero Dawn Horizon was well received.
It's a game about a woman of color undoing the work of evil white men who destroyed the world.

Mortmal

Arcane
I'm surprised Zero Dawn Horizon was well received. I remember seeing that video on their dialogue. Looked like a Biowarian shit RPG. Just checked out some video on it, and it still looks bad. A setting with dino bots is cool, but being a character that uses a bow and arrow to take them out is stupid.

Breath of Wild actually looks fun to play and has cool mechanics, and if I were rich, I might buy a Switch to play it and Odyssey, but no way in Hell would I buy a PS4 to play Zero Dawn Horizon.
If you have a good PC, you can play BotW in 4k.
A good pc wont cut it for Botw in 4K, you will need the very top for that.And even like that its not perfect it has a few glitches with the emulator.

funkadelik

Arcane
I'm surprised Zero Dawn Horizon was well received. I remember seeing that video on their dialogue. Looked like a Biowarian shit RPG. Just checked out some video on it, and it still looks bad. A setting with dino bots is cool, but being a character that uses a bow and arrow to take them out is stupid.

Breath of Wild actually looks fun to play and has cool mechanics, and if I were rich, I might buy a Switch to play it and Odyssey, but no way in Hell would I buy a PS4 to play Zero Dawn Horizon.
A good pc wont cut it for Botw in 4K, you will need the very top for that.And even like that its not perfect it has a few glitches with the emulator.
I played through it beginning to end.

Plisken

Learned
theres no such thing as a "mature" video game (generalizing, there might be a few notable exceptions). They're all children's stories with children story characters, politics and dynamics and require only about the intelligence of an 10 year old to understand whats happening and all the shallow motivations.

Mentally and emotionally stunted manchildren think "mature" means gore and nudity. Ironically, obsession with obscenity is really a characteristic of teenagers. And what to make of the "romances" in these games? Despite the obsession with obscenity most of the romances in these games are weirdly asexual, and are exactly like awkward teenagers beating around the bush forever.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Sony fanboys are just butthurt cause there are so many good GOTY contenders this year and the only worthy entry from Sony first party is Horizon.

Unlike Nintendo, Sony doesn't rely on first party to be good. Nintendo home consoles haven't had good 3rd party support in ages and so people have relied solely on their first party games. This is looking to change now that Switch appears to be replacing the 3DS, however.

Gerrard

Arcane
It's a game about a woman of color undoing the work of evil white men who destroyed the world.
Wasn't that Fallout 3 also? The head of Project Purity was an Asian woman?
Fallout 3 came out too early.

I'm surprised Zero Dawn Horizon was well received.

She's not a color person. She is a pale, ginger hottie.
There's some black scientist in there or something.

"Please notice me, movies industry-senpai"

Wasn't that Fallout 3 also? The head of Project Purity was an Asian woman?

Effectively it's the player's dad (who belongs to whatever race you chose), since the project doesn't go anywhere while he's unavailable.

Also, it's "evil green men", since martians caused the great war. :troll:

Mortmal

Arcane

I played through it beginning to end.
Specs and constant fps ?

Machocruz

Arcane
Faux primitives fighting robot dinosaurs is not a mature concept in any way, in fact it's the opposite. Robot fucking dinosaurs. It's something an elementary school child would come up with. At least something as cliched as Grand Theft Auto has some kind of relevance to human condition and/or society. Not saying fantasy can't be deep or relevant (usually in the form of mythology, which is directly informed by and offers a window into the specific culture from where it springs), but 99% of fantasy ever written doesn't qualify, especially in video games. Horizon is like comic book twaddle which only exists to sell comic books, nothing more

Falksi

Arcane
Like, how come so many of you are willing to bitch about something you've not even seen any evidence of?

Don't get me wrong, I disagree with the claim. But I'd like to see evidence of said fanboyism first before slating it, rather than just taking someone's word for it. For all we know the OP has taken it out of context and is talking bollocks himself.

Murk

Arcane
Zelda should beat Zero Horizons' Dawning because it's a proper third person perspective and not some over the shoulder down syndrome simulator.

Still mad Elex has that retarded over the shoulder view as a standard.

I think there's something to be said for games that try and use gameplay to tell a story, as that highlights the distinguishing factor present in video games over other artistic mediums - quite obviously, the interactivity. One thing I actually approved of in the painful trainwreck that is Wolfenstein: The New Colossus is early on when BJ is badly injured, his health is halved to reflect his frailty.

Now, I'd note that I'm approving of the concept and not the execution. Doing this in a Wolfenstein game, particularly one that's so frequently absurdist in its many cutscenes, doesn't seem like the time or place. It also highlights a lot of other problems such as how quickly enemies can kill you on any difficulty with or without 100 health, the prevalence of hitscan enemy types, terrible difficulty curve, and poor level design that forces the player to play defensively while giving them little workable cover. But I would still bring this up to highlight a concept more games seem to completely fail at: combining story and gameplay into a cohesive whole. I'll refrain from commenting on the state of writing in games as a whole, but if you're going to make your game about story, I think the key is to still put your game first. If the game is story focused at all, the story and gameplay should pleasantly support each other, with the player ultimately carrying away memories of what they did while playing the game instead of remembering what they were shown.

As a final thought I'd note that there are probably better examples of this sort of fusion of gameplay and story, and I'm sure there are plenty of people on this thread who will be more than happy to provide examples, but this is a recent one so it's been on my mind. Not sure who thought that making a game's story and interactivity oppose each other was a good idea, but hopefully the industry won't stay this way forever.

Murk

Arcane
I've never had good terminology for this stuff, and I don't like the term 'ludo-narrative dissonance' for how pretentious and opaque it sounds. I've always referred to games as having the precribed story (dialog, cutscenes, etc. -- BioWare style) and the emergent story (what happens, choices and consequences, etc. -- Piranha Bytes style).

I prefer the latter over the former, but there is a place for Planescape: Torment style games. I just would not want them to be the main form (and unfortunately, that seems to be the case).

Machocruz

Arcane
But I'd like to see evidence of said fanboyism first before slating it, rather than just taking someone's word for it. For all we know the OP has taken it out of context and is talking bollocks himself.
I wouldn't be able to find the exchange this many years later, but I remember someone in YouTube comments arguing with me that Uncharted was more of a "real game" than Europa Universalis 4, because the former had a "story." That wasn't the first or the last time that I've seen plot intensive games held up as "real games" or more worthwhile than play focused ones.

Like, how come so many of you are willing to bitch about something you've not even seen any evidence of?

Don't get me wrong, I disagree with the claim. But I'd like to see evidence of said fanboyism first before slating it, rather than just taking someone's word for it. For all we know the OP has taken it out of context and is talking bollocks himself.

The "source" in this case is just random internet comments, and a pretty common opinion at that (storyfags gonna storyfag). Examples would make the thread more entertaining but aren't really needed. Still, here's an older one from gamefaqs that made me laugh.

Zelda fans are virgins. So I couldn't give s*** if they think a game for children is better than horizon

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
A game must fulfill the proposites that wants to offer to be considered as a good game. It's very simple.

If a game offers an interactive story, it must be a good interactive story. If a game offers a non-interactive story with gameplay it must be a good non-interactive story with gameplay. If a game doesn't offer any story (Or don't take it very seriosly) and offers pure gameplay it must be good pure gameplay.

Nirvash

Liturgist
A game must give me many hours of good entertainment to be called good.

Ash

Arcane
Story-fags are equally as responsible for the downfall of AAA gaming as popamolers.

Don't forget graphics whores.

Gameplayfag or bust. Rest of you can eat a dick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom