Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 - now with lootbox drama

Cael

Arcane
It does? One would think a preferable business model would be one where customers are happy and your customers don't want to run you and your business out of town, band together and claim that you are exploiting children, run negative PR campaigns against your company, try to get your IP licensor to intervene and are in the process of activating government regulators against your business practices.
That kind of model doesn't work. Now, buy the game or we bring in the Commissars who will all sing the "You Will Obey, Rightwingtard!" song until your ears bleed.

Santander02

Arcane
Presumably there are other companies out there that many potential customers don't regard as scumbags and wouldn't rather see go out of business.

Case Point:

Say whatever you want about TW3 being popamole shit, but you can't deny that CD Projekt treat their customers with one hell of a lot more respect than EA.

Latelistener

Arcane
There's even rumors floating around that Disney was so pissed that they threatened EA's Star Wars exclusivity deal
Because anyone who has a few neurons to rub together knew what will happen. Aside from the financial side, this was the shittiest idea to made that exclusive deal.
Lucas Arts wasn't perfect, but we got the Jedi Knight series. EA just cancelled the Visceral game, and we got nothing aside from unbalanced multiplayer shit.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Again, I'm not saying EA isn't a piece of shit

Yet you give them money. I'm not saying you aren't a piece of shit.

No, I give DICE the developer of the game, money. I pay their salaries and hard work on the game. There's a difference. I don't care where the money goes, but I expect them to get some of the money EA makes, so.

I give them money, because I buy entertainment, the same way I go see a movie or get a drink at the bar. People offer me a service and I pay for it if I am satisfied, which I am.

I honestly couldnt give less of a shit about loot boxes being in the game, as long as they are not game breaking, WHICH THEY ARE NOT.

What I do have a problem with, is how slow the progressions is, as a result of the loot boxes, and that needs to change. EA is looking to make changes soon, so lets see how they are.

And obviously we are gonna get a few balance changes very soon to the MP

DICE the developer shouldn't be held accountable for a shitty publisher as EA. I think we've seen that proved time and time again with cRPGS, havent we now?

yea.

Santander02

Arcane
Ah yes poor DICE would go bankrupt if it weren't for you so selflessly trowing money at their publishing masters, it's not like they don't already make millions from their other franchises like battlefiedl :roll:

I honestly couldn't give less of a shit about loot boxes being in the game

Thank you for admitting to be a worthless sheep at last.

DICE the developer shouldn't be held accountable for a shitty publisher as EA.

If they willingly signed a contract that allows EA to interfere in their development process, then yeah they should. This is why I shed no tears for Bioware either.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I honestly couldnt give less of a shit about loot boxes being in the game, as long as they are not game breaking, WHICH THEY ARE NOT.

Exactly! People don't understand that for 60 usd they get full experience, they can hop into game and have fun. They will still have fun beside the fact there are people with purple cards running around.They will still kill them, accomplish objectives, challenges -generally they will have great immersive game which is fun as hell. If someone is butthurt that there are a person who has 2-5% better stat, because he has lvl 4 card instead of obtainable by loot lvl 3 card then he really must have a hard time in real life, where people in competitive activities such as sports also have uneven starts -some people have money for personal trainers, better equipment, better diet supplements etc. Or just plain simple, some people have just better stuff because they have more money.It's like two people bought the same ford mustang, and the one person who is wealthier installs better turbocharger, so the poorer guy complain about that. Deal with it, that you get the base product which is fun, but you can upgrade it if you have more money.

TLDR -Real world practices come to gaming, and gamers complain.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Exactly! People don't understand that for 60 usd they get full experience, they can hop into game and have fun. They will still have fun beside the fact there are people with purple cards running around.They will still kill them, accomplish objectives, challenges -generally they will have great immersive game which is fun as hell. If someone is butthurt that there are a person who has 2-5% better stat, because he has lvl 4 card instead of obtainable by loot lvl 3 card then he really must have a hard time in real life, where people in competitive activities such as sports also have uneven starts -some people have money for personal trainers, better equipment, better diet supplements etc. Or just plain simple, some people have just better stuff because they have more money.It's like two people bought the same ford mustang, and the one person who is wealthier installs better turbocharger, so the poorer guy complain about that. Deal with it, that you get the base product which is fun, but you can upgrade it if you have more money.

Amen brother, amen.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Ah yes poor DICE would go bankrupt if it weren't for you so selflessly trowing money at their publishing masters, it's not like they don't already make millions from their other franchises like battlefiedl :roll:

I honestly couldn't give less of a shit about loot boxes being in the game

Thank you for admitting to be a worthless sheep at last.

DICE the developer shouldn't be held accountable for a shitty publisher as EA.

If they willingly signed a contract that allows EA to interfere in their development process, then yeah they should. This is why I shed no tears for Bioware either.

Dice thrives on the bank of AAA publishers and the likes of Disney. It's the trade-off you need to do, if you wanna make a big game. That's how it is.

You'd rather want an indie bare-bones crappy star wars shooter, thats fine. The majority of star wars fans? Nah we want that epic AAA experience, which we got now. gg

They don't make millions at DICE, battlefield 1 is still controlled by EA. everything is controlled by EA. They get a bit of the money, but EA gets most.

Obviously DICE didn't willingly accept to have EA fuck it up with loot boxes, the core game itself, EA had no say in, and rather Disney did. Disney is mad at EA, not DICE. Dice did an amazing job with the game, and should be thanked for that. I do that throw my purchase. Thank you go the hardworking programmers, artists, and so on. All the people who worked their ass off. That's money worth spending it on.

Why should I care about anyhthing else? I want DICE to continue to make great games. So I fund them naturally. NO DICE, NO GUD STAR WARS. Simple as that.

Go be mad at EA if you want, it works obviously.

Dexter

Arcane
ad_plant.png

Advertising plant

Unwanted

nodar

Unwanted
Shitposter

:salute:

Santander02

Arcane
You'd rather want an indie bare-bones crappy star wars shooter, thats fine. The majority of star wars fans? Nah we want that epic AAA experience, which we got now. gg

Bitch you 2 are hilarious :D, the only reason why the loot boxes are, currently, not "breaking" the game is because "the majority of star wars fans" or enough them voiced their displeasure and threatened to not buy into EA's bullshit to the point that the actual owners of the franchise stepped in and told EA that enough is enough, you owe that AAA experience because of all the people "complaining" :roll:

NO DICE, NO GUD STAR WARS.

latest

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Bitch you 2 are hilarious :D, the only reason why the loot boxes are, currently, not "breaking" the game is because "the majority of star wars fans" or enough them voiced their displeasure and threatened to not buy into EA's bullshit to the point that the actual owners of the franchise stepped in and told EA that enough is enough, you owe that AAA experience because of all the people "complaining" :roll:

You really are fucking dense, aren't you?

I know the outcry helped the game, THATS GOOD, but it doesnt change the mothmothmothmotherfucking fact, that the game itself is very good and solid. Quality work.

I was one of the complainers about the MTX drama you moron, but the MTX drama doesn't have anything to do with the game itself - the content, the work that was done. You're too dumb to realize.

You can have the AAA experience with loot boxes or without. Even IF people still bought shit, it doesnt matter, because as I said 5000 times, star cards and shit are not overpowered currently.

if you getting killed out there, u need to get good at playing computer games. Magic star cards wont help you from being shit at clicked at a mouse and using your retarded brain and eyes. No amount of help will fix that tho

Dexter

Arcane
Free Market at work, Comrades! :salute:: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...sical-sales-down-60-per-cent-on-battlefront-1
Star Wars Battlefront 2 physical sales down 60% on Battlefront 1
Never tell me the odds!

By Tom Phillips Published 20/11/2017
Star Wars Battlefront 2 launched with 60 per cent fewer physical sales than Star Wars Battlefront 1.

Battlefront 2's big budget release was ruined by, arguably, the biggest controversy in gaming this year. The game's in-game loot boxes and, to a lesser extent, the high requirements needed to unlock the game's roster of heroes sparked an eruption of anger from fans which EA has been unable to contain. The publisher has U-turned on both fronts - but many fans still consider the game to include pay-to-win mechanics.

In a dramatic and unprecedented move last Friday, EA temporarily switched off all in-game purchases just as Battlefront 2 went live - although it was too late to reverse fan feeling towards the game.

It's impossible to know to what extent Battlefront 2's pre-launch issues hit sales, but with coverage of EA's woes on mainstream channels such as the BBC and CNN, it's hard to imagine the drama not having had an impact.

Back in 2015, Battlefront 1 was the biggest ever launch for a Star Wars game in the UK. It had an extra day on sale, and Battlefront 2 will have received more digital sales which are not counted by UK numbers company Chart-Track - but it's hard to see either of these facts accounting for the eye-opening plummet.

Choices & Consequences, like I was saying. Maybe next time they'll think again before implementing exploitative business models and gambling for childrenz if they don't want to tank the sales of their next AAA title.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I feel the bigger problem here, and the bigger picture is that the buyer/seller contract or buyer/service provider contract for "electronic commodities" doesn't follow the same law rules as with "real goods and services". If the "electronic commodities/services" would have the same law rules as real life commodities/services then you could easily sue or chargeback for the inappropriate service or commodity that doesn't adhere to product description. In gaming this things doesn't exist. A developer and publisher can get away with so much shit for example the Aliens:CM casus. They can change ToS after signing the seller-buyer contract, effectively making the game in some cases unplayable or leave the content behind paywall, whereas previously it has been free.

Obviously this doesn't apply to the preorders, as they are a form of "arts patronage" and the final product can be different to what was told during the production.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Really, EA was just too greedy for their own good, a ton of publishers are making alot of money from stupid whales but they are smart enough to limit this to cosmetic stuff, making the loot boxes integral to unlock heroes is one of the most retarded decisions a publisher could make. I guess EA thought this way: "This outrage will pass and they will keep buying the loot boxes anyway, only a minority will be pissed off enough to not buy the game and the revenue from the loot boxes will be more than enough to pay those few sales lost."

Problem for EA is that no fucking one likes to be annihilated on a multiplayer game because some stupid cunt bought loot boxes and you didn't, that is crossing the line, another issue is that this greatly reduce the variety of gameplay until you waste hours and hours and hours grinding and this isn't a fucking MMO. "Do you want to play as Darth Vader and kill some bitches? NOPE! You will have to play 4000 hours to unlock everything when you already fucking paid 60 dollars for that stuff and it should be yours as this isn't a RPG where progression would make sense or a F2P game.

EA is ruining their games with this overly agressive, "games as a service" thing, someone should tell EA that you aren't actually providing a service if the only thing you actually do is to charge your costumers two times for the same product, if they keep pushing this agressive predatory practices, people will soon stop buying EA games out of fear having to grind or pay for loot boxes on every single fucking game of theirs. EA reputation is already on the dirt but that didn't affect them because most of their bullshit mostly affected the developer side of things, what most people really don't care, but EA can't treat their costumers as baldy as it treat its developers if they wanna keep making money.

Really, I'm glad the backlash fucked them, if I go to a restaurant and pay for the food, it doesn't matter how good the food is, if some annoying fucker comes to my table every 10 mins to say I have to pay more, I would be furious pretty quickly.

Santander02

Arcane
And just look at the metacritic score drop even further

5aGfQ6Y.png

Gentlemen, EA has officially managed to screw up even harder than with MEA. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom