Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 - now with lootbox drama

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
People were outraged because of grind length, and i've explained them why EA has increased the grind length[the community wanted] and why microtransactions were introduced -because some people have the money, and want to lessen the grind[lack of time, or just having a thick wallet] and why EA have to introduce such model to pay for the dev costs. It's not like they fucking scammed customers without informing about this before release -hence the outrage was completely uncalled for.

Im sure most people given the choice would choose a 60 dollar game with microtransactions than a 80-90 dollar game without it. So for EA it was a lesser evil, although given the outrage it might have backfired. Sales will tell though
Bullcrap in the extreme.

The grind has nothing to do with costs. Grinding does not generate revenue for EA. Only microtransactions do. One has nothing to do with the other.

EA tried for the Flash MMO standard of cash grab and lost. It is as simple as that. The microtransaction model has been around for years and is well understood and exploited by gaming companies. EA is a Johnny come lately to the arena.

If EA introduced microtransactions to mitigate the initial cost of buying the game, that is one issue. Spending money to short-circuit the grind is another issue. Conflating the two is an attempt to excuse the inexcusible. Now, if you had said that the microteansactions were there to mitigate cost and did not bring grinding into the picture, you might have had a point. As it stands, you were trying to grab hold of any branch to excuse the PR nightmare that EA generated for itself.

What is the difference between chimps and some marketing drone trying to justify a massive misstep (instead of admitting they got it wrong and apologise)? When the chimps throw poo, they always have a target in mind. Marketing drones fling poo everywhere and hope it sticks somewhere.

And your manufactured outrage just burst with SWBF2 premiere? Not before many games had used similar money making model? It's becoming a standard, just because clients want a game with 60 dollar price tag, not more. Deal with it, or don't buy/play AAA titles, just stay with games with mediocre graphics[which can still have great gameplay]. And grinding will always be in such games because people want it in the game -as BF4/BF1 casus shown. The question as i've said in few posts earlier, whether the grind is tolerable and satisfying or not. And that's the customer decision whether he agrees with that or not.

People don't understand how the business work, and in EA situation they would do the same. There are shareholders that expect results[especially after ME:A fiasco]. And there clients who might buy or might not buy the game. EA listened to community and added more grind, but i guess they went a little overboard judging by the response[probably the people who wanted even less grind and have everything handed on the silver plater at the beginning]. The question is, how many people who will buy the game, participated in the downvoting of the reddit EA AMA and how many haven't, but just downvoted for the sake of finding some object to hate[and after few k downvotes, it just snowballed, like i said bandwagon effect]. This is important as the amount of downvotes might not impact the sales that much, if many of those people who did it, wont even buy the game.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
And your manufactured outrage just burst with SWBF2 premiere? Not before many games had used similar money making model? It's becoming a standard, just because clients want a game with 60 dollar price tag, not more. Deal with it, or don't buy/play AAA titles, just stay with games with mediocre graphics[which can still have great gameplay]. And grinding will always be in such games because people want it in the game -as BF4/BF1 casus shown. The question as i've said in few posts earlier, whether the grind is tolerable and satisfying or not. And that's the customer decision whether he agrees with that or not.

People don't understand how the business work, and in EA situation they would do the same. There are shareholders that expect results[especially after ME:A fiasco]. And there clients who might buy or might not buy the game. EA listened to community and added more grind, but i guess they went a little overboard judging by the response. The question is, how many people who will buy the game, participated in the downvoting of the reddit EA AMA and how many haven't, but just downvoted for the sake of finding some object to hate. This is important as the amount of downvotes might not impact the sales that much, if many of those were people who did it, wont even buy the game.

Hilarious. I have been linking to other games using the same model and calling them frauds and conmen since I started posting in this thread.

As I said, flinging poo everywhere and hoping some of it sticks. Pathetic.

Actually, I would not do the same as EA. Any thinking person would not have done the same as EA. EA got greedy and lost sight of the fact that customers are just that: customers. Not cash cows they can squeeze at their whimsy. The lack of respect for their customer base is their undoing, and the undoing of a lot of companies.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Hilarious. I have been linking to other games using the same model and calling them frauds and conmen since I started posting in this thread.

Actually they COULDN'T use the exact same model -the custom skins for troopers/heroes since the disney licensing for SW franchise, they can only recreate what's in the SW canon. So they were left with the grind model, which in 2017 is implemented in many games.

The only thing that bothers me with longevity of this amazing game, is the lack of dedicated servers. Currently you dont have server browser and cant rent a server. BF4 is still superior in this regard -there are still communities, that hosts they own servers 24h. Sadly many games follow such practice, making also game vulnerable to "pulling the plug" by the developers. For example if ubi decide to pull the plug on R6 six, users won't have any way to still play the game.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Actually they COULDN'T use the exact same model -the custom skins for troopers/heroes since the disney licensing for SW franchise, they can only recreate what's in the SW canon. So they were left with the grind model, which in 2017 is implemented in many games.
And that speaks for itself. Goodbye, EA drone. Your stupidity has outed you.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
And that speaks for itself. Goodbye, EA drone. Your stupidity has outed you.

Whatever float your boat. I guess you don't mind paying more for the games, or you just dont care because you don't play these titles. You will have to count on AAA games with sub $60 price, coming from some poor countries with cheap labour like Poland[and their witcher 3]. But that's just like an exception from dozens of titles. I wouldn't count on many AAA games coming from third world.

I forgot to add that SWBF2 won't have season pass instead it will have free content updates, so the base price is even greater value for money, than with BF1,BF4 or SWBF premiere, where a whole DLC packet would cost way more than 60 usd.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
I forgot to add that SWBF2 won't have season pass instead it will have free content updates, so the base price is even greater value for money, than with BF1,BF4 or SWBF premiere, where a whole DLC packet would cost way more than 60 usd.
BUT THAT'S NOT ALL! If you buy now, you get a STAR WARS STICKER ABSOLUTELY FREE! CALL NOW ON 1-000-234-534-232!

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
BUT THAT'S NOT ALL! If you buy now, you get a STAR WARS STICKER ABSOLUTELY FREE! CALL NOW ON 1-000-234-534-232!

Yeah i find people ranting about microtransactions,wallet warriors and unfairness in a non-esport game equally amusing as you find my persona praising the game. If it would be an esports competitive game like CS:GO where you have real world rewards and tournaments, then yes it would be bothersome, since even if you were good at game, you would need to grind for the best unlocks, so until that time, you couldn't compete with people on esport scene who bought the content with real life money.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
A costumer thinking something is overpriced, doesnt automatically make it so. Battlefront is a quality game. It could easily cost 100 dollars for all I care, and I would still buy it, because its so well made. As I have been saying.

People basically want everything for nothing. the same old story. Heh.

GIVE ME FREE SHIT, JUST GIMME GIMME. Well the world doesnt work that way. Making shit costs money, and capitalism is good. I can charge WHATEVER I want for something, if you are willing to pay for it, then fine.

Supply and demand, nothing more, nothing less.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Yeah i find people ranting about microtransactions,wallet warriors and unfairness in a non-esport game equally amusing as you find my persona praising the game. If it would be an esports competitive game like CS:GO where you have real world rewards and tournaments, then yes it would be bothersome, since even if you were good at game, you would need to grind for the best unlocks, so until that time, you couldn't compete with people on esport scene who bought the content with real life money.

Glad I'm not alone in all this, since 99 % of people in this thread are fucking retarded :D

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Of course parts of a game can be discussed and isolated, what are you talking about? An RPG can be overall shit, but have some really well done parts in it.

Overall, Battlefront 2, has TOP NOTCH, graphics, sound, gameplay, gunplay, hero/villain fantasy, cool maps, free dlc, cool game modes.

Yes, it also has micro gambling and somewhat slow progression system, but its not like it hinders what is already in the game. Star cards dont matter that much, and you have alot of heroes unlocked from start. I'm not saying its perfect, im just asying, if u cant evaluate the good parts on their own, ur a moron.

Microtransactions drag the game down, yes, but you can choose to ignore them if you want and just focus on the good game it is. Also, microtrransactions have been disabled for now so.

Dear Lord. Someone give this EA drone a tag or something. He is like a robot advertisement for EA, singing EA praises and glossing aside things just to show EA in a good light. He is worse than a telephone marketer.
I propose "Electronic Autist".

So no counter-argumenter, k' means i'm right. Thuoght so.
Why would I offer a "counter-argument" to your fanboy dribble when I wasn't even addressing you?

My time and means are sometimes limited, so I sometimes have to prioritize what I respond to.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Lol fucking butthurt morons in dis thread :D

The game is amazing and I had the time of my life playing it. Game is fairly well balanced and the p2w has been removed. Problem solved for now.

You guys must kill yourselves very fast. The world demands it.

I salute you Mengsk, as a voice of reason in this cesspool.

People are butthurt about 40 hours of grind to unlock heroes, or 24 hours per purple card[72 hours to max the one trooper]. That's circa 290 hours to grind all classes/troopers with purple cards -To grind all attachments in BF4 and class abilities you would need roughly the same time. 40 hours for heroes, or 72 for maxing a class in such game is nothing, average FPS players have hundreds of hours in their beloved titles. There are people who clock over 1 thousand hours. It's like they would complain at UBI that they sell starter edition of R6 siege where you have to grind to unlock operators, and the "easy" full game where you unlock them way faster. I don't see people complaining at that -because that's nothing, if you plan to play the game for hundreds of hours you will easily grind you way. Wonder if these people butthurt at EA would be fine when by paying you could unlock heroes after 1 hour of gameplay whereas the rest would need 40 hours -exactly like the model in R6 siege. The "drones" would repeat -"it's allright, because it's not behind paywall at the beginning, even the paying one's have to play 1 hour to unlock this, you just pay to get it faster" retarded logic. Where's the arbitrary line when it's ok to pay to lessen the grind, or not... The answer is, there's non, it's the userbase who decide with their wallets if the grind length is worth paying.

Reddit is a hive mind of retards, who are bashing EA for really nothing. If you didn't pay then just grind your teeth and wait till you unlock the heroes. It's like a fucking real life -some people have the money and something upfront, and some people have to work longer to get it, or doesn't even get it at all. EA at least left the option to grind your way, and not left it behind paywall completely.This game was super costly to make -huge maps, with lots of details, detailed models, sounds, textures, the licensing of SW franchise, etc. etc -that's why it cost 60 dollars/euro, and that's precisely why it will have microtransactions, because without them it would cost even more. It's singlehandedly one of the most costly game made in current gen, judging by the amount of effort put into it.

Microtransactions arent bad per se -as long as the game publisher inform the buyer about it, and how it is implemented, then its the customer choice if he want to buy a game with them. Implementing microtransactions with essential gameplay elements behind paywall, that would render the game unplayable[i don't mean it as DLC] after the customer bought the game already is ofcourse a bad practice, and should be always shunned. Basically a seller-buyer contract specify what you've bought, and it should be a criminal offence to change the contract terms after the purchase without the buyer consent. You wouldn't want to buy a car, and then the producer during servicing, would disable the engine, unless you buy some expensive fidget.

I find depressing the lack of understanding of free market and capitalism by general american public/average redditor/codexer.It's like in the last 20-30 years some kind of virulent statist strain epidemic was lingering among the public.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Of course parts of a game can be discussed and isolated, what are you talking about? An RPG can be overall shit, but have some really well done parts in it.

Overall, Battlefront 2, has TOP NOTCH, graphics, sound, gameplay, gunplay, hero/villain fantasy, cool maps, free dlc, cool game modes.

Yes, it also has micro gambling and somewhat slow progression system, but its not like it hinders what is already in the game. Star cards dont matter that much, and you have alot of heroes unlocked from start. I'm not saying its perfect, im just asying, if u cant evaluate the good parts on their own, ur a moron.

Microtransactions drag the game down, yes, but you can choose to ignore them if you want and just focus on the good game it is. Also, microtrransactions have been disabled for now so.

Dear Lord. Someone give this EA drone a tag or something. He is like a robot advertisement for EA, singing EA praises and glossing aside things just to show EA in a good light. He is worse than a telephone marketer.

Why would I offer a "counter-argument" to your fanboy dribble when I wasn't even addressing you?

My time and means are sometimes limited, so I sometimes have to prioritize what I respond to.

Fanboy dribble?

Lol. I hate EA just as much as the next guy, and I even said the Microtransactions sand shit is stupid and has to go, HOWEVER, I accept that its here, and beyond that, the game itself is very good. DICE did a good job, they are not responsible for the EA fuck-up, they just made the game.

The whole "OMG IT TAKES 90 HOURZ TO UNLOCKK" is overreacting, from just playing the game a while, you can unlock the most good and basic stuff, which is needed to have a great time.

I hope the progression will be increased, but atm, it's not abysmal as some say.

The whole thing is blown out of porportion.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Also what people fail to understand is simple value economics. What is the true value of something? The answer is supply and demand. Whatever people are willing to buy it for, it's worth exactly that.

Buyer/seller relationship is the basic foundation of capitalism and free markets. Buyers always want it free or cheap, and sellers always want it mega expensive. Such is life. Can't blame EA for wanting to make as much money as possible, because they are sitting on a quality AAA game.

I understand the consumers get upset, and thats our right, but its also EA's right, to charge whatever they want. If they KNEW we wouldnt pay what they are asking, they wouldnt be asking that much :D

Think about that. They can allow themselves to charge what they want, because A) It's star wars, and B) The game is actually very good.

If you found a precious ancient artifact, would you sell it for 5 dollars? Fuck no, you wouldnt. You would google that shit, analyze and then you would charge as much money as humanly possible to sell it to some random rich collector.

Same deal with EA. They struck gold with their star wars games, now they wanna cash in.

gg

Why is it so easy for Walter White to sell his crystal meth in Breaking Bad? BECAUSE ITS THE FUCKING BEST EVER. People pay 3 times the normal price, because the product IS GOOD. That's the entire point.

TLDR: Value and quality costs money, that's the way of life in this world and this capitalist society and free market. Get with the times, bro'z. Selling a shit product expensively is hard, but selling a good product is ez

Cael

Arcane
ATTENTION EA DRONES AND FANBOIS!

Keep saying that xyz is a AAA game like a broken record does not make it true.

That is all.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Fanboy dribble?

Lol. I hate EA just as much as the next guy, and I even said the Microtransactions sand shit is stupid and has to go, HOWEVER, I accept that its here, and beyond that, the game itself is very good. DICE did a good job, they are not responsible for the EA fuck-up, they just made the game.

The whole "OMG IT TAKES 90 HOURZ TO UNLOCKK" is overreacting, from just playing the game a while, you can unlock the most good and basic stuff, which is needed to have a great time.

I hope the progression will be increased, but atm, it's not abysmal as some say.

The whole thing is blown out of porportion.
Do you want a handkerchief? I think some of that dribble got on your shirt there.

Santander02

Arcane
On the subject of the cost of AAA games.

Anyone who says "Microtransactions are necesary due to the increase of develepment costs!" is full of shit.

Also, what can stop a soulles megacorp run by reptilians?: An even bigger soulless megacorp ruled by nastier reptilians with sharper theeth.

"There's even rumors floating around that Disney was so pissed that they threatened EA's Star Wars exclusivity deal"

Sheeit, can't imagine EA is used to having to bend the knee to somebody else's orders!

Dexter

Arcane
Well the world doesnt work that way. Making shit costs money, and capitalism is good. I can charge WHATEVER I want for something, if you are willing to pay for it, then fine.
Correct, and your customers can tell you you are a greedy disgusting shitbag, complain so much that the owners of the IP you are entertaining are forced to jump in and slap your ass threatening to take away your Exclusive licensing for ruining their PR Hype cycle, lead consumer boycotts and negative PR campaigns throughout the MSM against your products or company about you enabling gambling for children, vote you the "Worst Company In America" twice, complain so much that gambling regulators get their attention, classify what you are doing as gambling and fuck up your exploitative "business model" forever etc. Choices & Consequences. That's how the world works, if you had followed the thread closely you'd know. "Free Market" at work.

Unwanted

nodar

Unwanted
Shitposter
Mengsk
Yup, this is how that "free market" thing that right-wingtards so love works. You want it, you defend it, then you must also accept it warts and all.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Well the world doesnt work that way. Making shit costs money, and capitalism is good. I can charge WHATEVER I want for something, if you are willing to pay for it, then fine.
Correct, and your customers can tell you you are a greedy disgusting shitbag, complain so much that the owners of the IP you are entertaining are forced to jump in and slap your ass threatening to take away your Exclusive licensing for ruining their PR Hype cycle, lead consumer boycotts and negative PR campaigns throughout the MSM against your products or company about you enabling gambling for children, vote you the "Worst Company In America" twice, complain so much that gambling regulators get their attention, classify what you are doing as gambling and fuck up your exploitative "business model" forever etc. Choices & Consequences. That's how the world works, if you had followed the thread closely you'd know. "Free Market" at work.

Again, I'm not saying EA isn't a piece of shit, they are. I'm just saying, from a business standpoint and from just pure capitalism, what they do makes sense.

Obviously it enrages people, and it should, but I just can't fathom why it SURPRISES people still. Obviously people wanna make more money, every human does. Every human is greedy at heart. That's just how we are. More wants more.

Everybody want something for nothing.

It's good they get called out on their bullshit, but like I said, the game itself is great.

Only the slow progressions, the MTX and such is the problem.

I'm just not mad enough about it, than I won't buy the game, because playing the game feels amazing. I just don't buy anything other than playing and it's cool.
Why limit yourself from a great experience, if you're mad about something you weren't gonna use or have a problem with anyway?

Dexter

Arcane
Again, I'm not saying EA isn't a piece of shit, they are. I'm just saying, from a business standpoint and from just pure capitalism, what they do makes sense.
It does? One would think a preferable business model would be one where customers are happy and your customers don't want to run you and your business out of town, band together and claim that you are exploiting children, run negative PR campaigns against your company and products, try to get your IP licensor to intervene and put pressure on you and are in the process of activating government regulators against your business practices. One would think that a reciprocal non-exploitative business model that leaves customers happy and wanting to come back for more while the company makes money and is able to provide entertainment would be preferable to people arguing that you're enabling gambling for children and gets you both bad review and user scores. Now if they can still make a lot of money this way remains open, but whether this is something that "makes sense", will have long-term success or would be the best way to go about things also does. Presumably there are other companies out there that many potential customers don't regard as scumbags and wouldn't rather see go out of business.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom