Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Castles of Mad King Ludwig is currently heavily discounted. It’s a nice tile-laying game albeit it might take a while to get used to all the mechanics, but fun nonetheless.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I’ve neglected this thread over the past few weeks due to some personal issues (mainly a sick wife and a sick dog) but I’m back in the saddle.

Not board games but inkle is having a sale. That means the excellent Sorcery! series can be yours for a modest sum!

Same for Tin Man Games: many of their gamebooks adaptation are heavily discounted. Again, this isn’t specific board game stuff but these types of games share many similarities that will appeal to fans of the hobby.

As for board games, Asmodee got you covered. Many of their games and in-app purchases are currently discounted. A good occasion to get some classics in case you don’t have them yet.

Auroch Digital also has a sale. They are responsible for the two Chainsaw Warrior games. Not terribly deep and very dependant on luck, but they play fast enough and entertain in small doses.

Acram Digital has only two games (Eight-Minute Empire and Steam:Rails to Riches) but they are both fun and interesting.

Playdek’s portfolio has mostly moved over to Asmodee, but they are still responsible for Lords of Waterdeep, and it’s also on sale.

You can also get Sentinels of the Multiverse for cheap. The game has a lot of extra content to purchase, but you can do it at your own rhythm. The base game already sports a decent amount of content.

There may be more later, but that’s all I got for now.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
I bought Card Quest on steam sale. Tutorial had some depth, but haven't dug into it fully.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I almost missed that one: Bezier Games’ apps are also on sale. They mostly have companion apps for physical board games but they do have digital versions of two of Ted Alspach’s games: Suburbia and Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Both are builder games (Suburbia has more of a SimCity feel) and with strong similarities, which is to be expected considering they come from the same designer and share similar themes, but they each have their own distinct features to justify getting both. I find it rather easy to go from one to the other for a bit of variation. Both are rather pricey compared to other apps but the current discount makes them ridiculously cheap, although the sale should finish either today or tomorrow.

Finally, card game civilisation game Age of Rivals is also on sale. It’s normally available for cheap so a 50% discount doesn’t make that much of a difference, but hey! it’s a good game that is even cheaper than usual!

Edit: I ought to start reviewing those, in case someone wants to know what to expect of all these. In general, though, I must say there are many quality board game adaptations available on mobile platform, including some new designs influenced by board games but without a physical version.

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Asmodee is having a sale again for the next few days!]/url] Not all their games are on sale but some are, including DLC when applicable. They also have some [url=http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Asmodee%20Digital]decent deals on Steam as well.

Somewhat related: Talisman’s numerous DLC are now cross-platform, e.g., if you own the game on Steam and Android, buying expansions on one platform will unlock them on the other. I currently only know of Ticket to Ride doing having the same behaviour although it isn’t officially documented. I hope this means other Asmodee games will follow, and possibly other publishers.[/url]

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Camel Up and The Game (yes, that’s the name; I had never heard of it until today) from Outline Development are currently on sale right now.

The former is a betting game, specifically a camel race betting game. I find the board version fun because of all the crazy stuff happening during the race, but I wonder how the app version plays since you would mostly play it alone and part of the fun of this game is to enjoy the betting with a group. Not a game I would see myself playing regularly. Do note that the app’s tutorial hasn’t worked for many years and the devs have been promising it would be fixed by Thursday, so you would need to read the rules elsewhere or watch a video about it. Interestingly, it won the 2014 Spiel des Jahres, for which Splendor was also nominated.

As for The Game, that one was a 2015 nominee but lost out to Colt Express. It appears to be a solitaire game where you try to get rid of your deck by discarding cards into different piles, some going higher and others going lower. It’s basically all about numbers but you have skulls on the cards because. A quick check on Internet reveals that some love it and others hate it.

Android links only in this post because screw you.

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Race for the Galaxy is on sale. As far as I know, this is the first time since the superb digital conversion was released. It is currently only for Android and doesn’t seem to apply to Steam.

Not a board game but worth a mention nonetheless: Inkle’s 80 Days is also on sale—other Inkle games, namely the excellent Sorcery! series, do not appear to be discounted at this moment.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I meant the Steam version doesn’t seem to be discounted right now, unlike the Android one.

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Talisman is currently free! It isn’t the case for the fuckton of in-app purchases which will likely cost you your soul though.

Friday, the adaptation of the solitaire game is also on sale. While I prefer Onirim, it is also a good game and translates well to mobile platforms.

Speaking of Onirim, it recently received an update that fixed a few bugs and finally allows you to play without the horrible scoring system! Wee!

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Age of Rivals, the “anti-deckbuilding CCG” is on sale again! It’s fun, with a lot of content to progressively unlock and no in-app purchases.

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Another season, another seasonal Asmodee sale. You can find discount on both Steam and Android (and probably iOS too).

Of note, Pathfinder Adventures is currently discounted on Steam (it’s free for mobile but content is limited, which is pretty much a demo version). Depending on how things are for you, getting the PC version can be a nice way to play the game on both desktop and mobile platforms and also get extra content. You can link the various versions together and sync progress and unlocked content that way. I haven’t played it recently but it is a great (it is Obsidian, after all) and buggy (it is Obsidian, after all) card game RPG experience with a ton of replayability.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
There is a big sale with many discounts on digital board games right now. I could list them all but I’d rather take the lazy approach and link you to the Geek for that.

One thing I wanted to bring to your attention (yes, you, the sole reader of this thread): while the general state of things is that DLC/IAP doesn’t carry over another version of the game and needs to be purchased again, there are a few exceptions. Asmodee seems to be trying to go against the trend, despite also trying to become the Monolithic Board Game Empire of Evil by buying some of the big names, which is good because games they publish tend to feature a few expansion (though nothing outrageous so far, as most expansion seem to mimic the physical ones and do add a fair bit of content). While I prefer to do most of my digital board gaming on my phone, this also encourages me to pick up the PC version, since it is at times more convenient to play that way, and know that I don’t need to purchase the same content again, and I can also take advantage of discounts on one platform.

Pathfinder Adventures is one such game, and it has the advantage that you only need to purchase the PC version because the mobile one is free (albeit very limited and pretty much in a demo state until you unlock the adventures).

Another one is Talisman, and that is a good thing because there is a rather substantial number of expansions! At the same time,they really add a ton of content and if you mix them no two games will ever play the same. If you like Talisman, getting them is a no-brainer. They are discounted on Steam right now, although they aren’t on the Android version. Purchasing them for the PC version also unlocked them for the Android version, so I’m quite happy of it.

A “secret” one is also Ticket to Ride. While it is well-documented that the two previously mentioned games link purchases across platforms, nothing is official said about this one. The Days of Wonder website even has a page explaining why this is impossible, but content from mobile (at least Android) and Steam will match and unlock each other. Good to know! It doesn’t work with other Days of Wonder games, like Small World 2—the Royal Bonus, which was exclusive to Kickstarter or later the Humble Bundle does carry across different platforms, but not the three regular expansions.

My guess is that Pathfinder Adventures and Talisman use an Asmodee account while Ticket to Ride use only the Days of Wonder account to connect online, but even then it seems that connecting to Days of Wonder still unlocks stuff, so who knows? In any case, these two games have some of the priciest DLC/IAP, so being able to share them with one account is great. Another one that is quite pricey when it comes to expansions is Sentinels of the Multiverse, but it doesn’t look like purchases will be shared across platforms anytime soon—a shame because the game is great and the expansions add a ton of quality extra content.

These are the only three games I currently know of. Do note that in general if you unlock content on mobile, it will be unlocked in the Steam version, but the Steam page will show the DLC as still available for purchase, so launch the game first to see if it isn’t unlocked there.

Edit: just in case, to the best of my knowledge only Pathfinder Adventures syncs progress between platforms using the same account. This is good because the full campaign, which sees your characters grow in power, is a rather long one. Other games, like Talisman and Ticket to Ride, don’t seem to do that. To be fair, it is negligible in the case of Ticket to Ride because a game typically lasts around 30 minutes. Syncing progress in Talisman would be a nice perk, given that a game can last several hours, but it’s nowhere near the scale of Pathfinder Adventures

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Hostage Negotiator, the hostage negotiation (well, yeah) board game is currently heavily discounted. It isn’t the prettiest game ever (in fact, it is rather ugly, though functional) and relies a lot on luck through dice rolling, but as a solitaire app it manages to enthral with the card drafting. It walks a fine line between frustration and entertainment, and, while it may not be for everyone, it does its job. I know that I would never have considered picking up the physical version, but as an app I can play on my phone it is a nice coffee break game, and while it is easy to lose it is also easy to start over again.

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
It’s finally Friday, and to celebrate Friday is on sale! This is the adaptation of a rather fun solitaire game where you take the role of the eponymous character who must guide Robinson in order to help him survive and get him off your island. It’s tough but fun, and it doesn’t feature dice rolls in case you have been scarred for life by Hostage Negotiator (I kid: the appeal of Hostage Negotiator is to plan for the worst-case scenario and develop a strategy while standing on very shaky ground; it is quite brilliant in that regard but I swear the game is rigged against you (well, it is!)).

A couple of words of warning: Friday isn’t a difficult game to learn but the app doesn’t give new players a break. It doesn’t feature a real tutorial, mostly a series of pop-ups, and the rulebook included is pretty much a copy of the one shipped with the physical game. You’d be better off downloading the PDF version of the rulebook from the official page and reading that on your computer or tablet.

And then, there is a bit of controversy in that the app wasn’t completely ready for release last year. It should be noted that the developer has been tackling issues over time, and we can expect this to continue, but a few hindrances still remain. It’s a bit of a rough ride at times, but the game is playable and you get the experience of a well-regarded solo game. I prefer Onirim, both as a game and a highly polished app, but Friday is also a great game that shouldn’t be ignored either.

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Roll For It!, a deliciously simple but fun game is currently free. It is developed by Thunderbox, known for their quality port of Tsuro. Just like Tsuro, the physical version of Roll For It! is published by Calliope Games, so it seems the two companies are continuing their fruitful partnership.

Most people might reject it as simplistic but there is a nice risk/reward mechanic there, and it plays very fast. The app itself is highly polished with quite a few ease-of-use options thrown in the mix. In case you’re on the fence, the current promotion should convince you.

Come on, give it a try! It’s free!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
It’s been a while since I’ve updated this, but seeing as several publishers are having a winter sale, I might as well update it. I won’t cover all but here are a few highlights:

One of the usual suspects, Asmodee Digital is having discounts on many games but also IAP. You’ll find some classics like Pandemic, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne (the new version), etc. They sport a rather vast and diverse library and you are sure to find something to your taste there.

Acram Digital is there too. They only have three games to their name but they are rather good. Istanbul apparently became a community darling.

Nomad Games also have few games to their names, but they have the Talisman behemoth—you can also find it on the Asmodee page, as well as their recently released Love Letter, which does not feature on their page. I highly recommend their equally recent Cat Lady (Hi, Scrooge!): it’s a fantastic little set collection card game that plays very fast (even more so thanks to the very smooth controls), and offers various strategies to win; the art is lovely and the sound effects feature a lot of miauwing as you can imagine. Pretty much hidden gem.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom