Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Apocalypse Now RPG by Monty Markland - terminated with extreme prejudice!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't mind the guy. He was nice.
Wouldn't mind if he returned to fuel the drama reveal more insight.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't mind the guy. He was nice.
Wouldn't mind if he returned to fuel the drama reveal more insight.
Someone who wanted money from us was nice to us and generally catered to our mindset, saying what we wanted to hear? Weird huh.
Even if it was faked (I don't really think it was), he went the extra mile to do that. What developer does that? :lol:

Tigranes

Arcane
Oh how much "shit", "retard", "edgy" etc ratings I got in this thread, because I called out this project for being wrong on everything, from the choice of tech, to the staff, to the design document, etc. Everything screamed amateurish shit and irresponsible decision making.

ITT Bester the Master Game Designer who knows everything there is to know

What do you have to say now, huh?

This crowdfunding effort was a trainwreck from the start, but surprisingly, this is not mutually exclusive with your long history of telling evevry single dev that would listen how amazing you are and how you know everything about ze computers

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
What developer does that? :lol:

The kind who knows where to find the one and only concentrated intersection of "loves RPGs" and "loves Apocalypse Now" on the entire Internet, perhaps?

Still, you could be right. Hey, maybe someday he'll show up in this thread again to defend himself.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
I think he will. Exhibit A:

As of this post, the video has 14 views and 3 comments, 2 of which were by Monty
Monty said:
Hello this is Montgomery Markland, I appreciate the advice and suggestion. I think it's a great idea. I will add this to the plan. Thank you. We also have a lot of big announcements coming soon! My email is Montgomery.markland@apocalypsenow.com if you ever want to get in touch.
uploader said:
Damn, I honestly didn't think you'd reply when I clicked on this. Good to see a developer who gives a fuck.
Monty said:
We're doing this game a different way because it has to be done. The industry needs to be improved. Developers need to be more respectful of the interests of the individual players. Thank you.
Narcissism is often misunderstood as simply being self-obsessed or holding an inflated sense of self-worth. A key aspect central to the disorder is how one is percieved by others. Narcissists feel an overwhelming urge to manage these perceptions in order to maintain their fantasy, and Monty doesn't have the luxury of anonymity to temper his urge. His real name is being dragged through the mud here.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
https://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder
Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Individuals with this disorder exhibit a lack of ability to empathize with others and an inflated sense of self-importance.

Definition
The hallmarks of Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) are grandiosity, a lack of empathy for other people, and a need for admiration. People with this condition are frequently described as arrogant, self-centered, manipulative, and demanding. They may also concentrate on grandiose fantasies (e.g. their own success, beauty, brilliance) and may be convinced that they deserve special treatment. These characteristics typically begin in early adulthood and must be consistently evident in multiple contexts, such as at work and in relationships.

People with narcissistic personality disorder believe they are superior or special, and often try to associate with other people they believe are unique or gifted in some way. This association enhances their self-esteem, which is typically quite fragile underneath the surface. Individuals with NPD seek excessive admiration and attention in order to know that others think highly of them. Individuals with narcissistic personality disorder have difficulty tolerating criticism or defeat, and may be left feeling humiliated or empty when they experience an "injury" in the form of criticism or rejection.

Related Personality Disorders: Antisocial, Borderline, Histrionic, Paranoid.

Symptoms
Narcissistic personality disorder is indicated by five or more of the following symptoms:
  • Exaggerates own importance
  • Is preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence or ideal romance
  • Believes he or she is special and can only be understood by other special people or institutions
  • Requires constant attention and admiration from others
  • Has unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment
  • Takes advantage of others to reach his or her own goals
  • Disregards the feelings of others, lacks empathy
  • Is often envious of others or believes other people are envious of him or her
  • Shows arrogant behaviors and attitudes
I could list more sources but they all say pretty much the same thing.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Does it say there that MLMarkland has it?

For clarity's sake: you can't diagnose someone with a psychological (lol pseudoscience) disorder over the internet.
I'm not claiming to be an arbiter of truth, just offering an armchair opinion based on what I see. My posts on any subject are as valid as you deem them. Psychology is certainly a soft science but calling it pseudoscience is a stretch.

EDIT: There goes that theory.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
this Markland guy struck me as snake oil peddler type
b-but, he brofisted a post of mine once

Such a seemingly innocuous comment, but it speaks volumes about the cancerous nature of post ratings.

Rest assured, denizens of the Codex: No matter how many Brofists I receive from you, no matter how many kind words we've exchanged in the past, I will turn on you in an instant if the conversation swings that way—because I am pure, not only sexually but in other ways also.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
On the internet, the only sciences that people like are the ones that confirm their prejudices.

I tend to be fairly neutral on the issue of whether or not psychologists are mostly a bunch of quacks, but at the very least, psychology must be described as an inexact science. Psychologists aren't dealing merely with protons and electrons; they're dealing with the chaotic rat's nest of irrational gibberish that is the human mind, but not directly as is the case with neuroscientists. The scientific method isn't even central to what most psychologists do, unless they're in research. Furthermore, most effective treatments for serious psychological conditions are pharmacological in nature, and the pharmaceuticals in question are actually produced by scientists of the more exact persuasion.

Psychology really isn't of the same academic caliber as most exact sciences, either, which is why psychology is THE go-to major for many college students who can't think of anything else better to do (which isn't to say that there can't be brilliant psychologists, mind you). The oversaturation of psychology majors has been absurd for years now.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Right around the time they suddenly decided that electroshock therapy isn't so bad after all, for the second or third time.

It's not about the scare factor of electrodes and cold baths; I'm all but immune to fear-mongering. In fact, next to hypocrisy and censorship, fear-mongering is one of my most-hated phenomena.

No, the issue I have with psychology is that psychologists completely change their tunes on a wide variety of issues every 5-10 years or so. I'm not talking about something like a natural progression of developments, new discoveries, or even revolutions in say Earth science or astrophysics from the 1960s through the present, mind you. Psychologists will flip-flop back and forth on a plethora of discrete psychological subject matter from one decade to the next, in the meantime treating patients based on whatever the current psychological fads happen to be.

In fact, they even bandwagon with political fads, such as homosexuality and off-comes-the-penis. Back when it was fashionable, homosexuality and transgenderism were classified as deviant mental illnesses. Now they aren't! What a coindience! PRESTO, SCIENCE!

PEACH

Arbiter
That about sums up my feelings on it as well. There's an agenda-driven spinelessness to the entire institutions of psychology and psychiatry as can be witnessed in each subsequent tweak of the DSM that coincidentally coincides with popular opinion, the ongoing deviations from their original intent and a dubious record of success in terms of both categorization and treatment. There isn't even an illusion of impartiality.

If you want to saw your legs off the DSM qualifies that as "body integrity identity disorder" and no doctor is gonna hack you into being Lt. Dan because that's nuts. If you're experiencing gender dysphoria, however, due to the inane notion of being born in the wrong body or some other pipe dream, you're a martyr and you've been a lady all along ready to burst from your beer gut and five o'clock shadow like it's some mythic cocoon.

I'm mostly fine with people doing whatever shit they can come up with (barring extreme scenarios) if they call a spade a spade and come to terms with the reality of it all, but to make exceptions and validate delusions of that nature seems absolutely at odds with what even a soft science should be all about, and incredibly irresponsible, all for the sake of saving face with the changing times.

Edit: All to say, it's hard to be on board with massive institutions with a clear motive behind their actions and proceedings that is counterintuitive to the role they intend to play. I'm not quite 100% Thomas Szasz-level against all that shit, but pretty close. The gay community were once one of the largest proponents of anti-psychiatry due to the presentation of homosexuality as a mental illness at the time. Eventually the tables flipped and psychology/psychiatry have since been heartily embraced by the current gay community.

One hand always washes the other.

On topic: This game always sounded like total shit.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Back when it was fashionable, homosexuality and transgenderism were classified as deviant mental illnesses.
In quite a few countries, they still are.
Or actually not - they are crimes. If something is a crime, it cannot also be an illness. After all, you cannot imprison someone for having a flu.
The whole thing seems purely cultural to me, no argument of either side seems to be based on logic.

What bugs me most is why people even care what other people do with their dicks. Man loves a woman? Fine. Man loves a man? Fine. Man loves a plant? Fine. Man is asexual and loves nothing? Poor guy, but fine.
I don't care. Let people do whatever they want as long as no "innocent" party is harmed.

But it is true, the whole psychology sector does change rapidly (sometimes back-and-forth) and is without a doubt influenced not by science but by cultural circumstances, which makes it "not very trustworthy" as far as sciences go.

Last edited:

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Like Blaine said, Psychology deals with the human mind. Neuroscience and molecular psychiatry, which try to reveal physiological mechanisms related to human mind, can be successful as long as they don't overreach in their assumptions and interpretations (especially when it comes to mixing causality and correlation). However, psychology tries to deal with non-physical components (it aspires to be "science of the soul"). Given that, it has no access to physical evidence at the level of physical sciences. What is worse, it relies on completely wrong set of philosophical assumptions (yet is not aware of them), which change with the weather (society, culture). The house is as solid as its foundations. As "science of the soul" it fails miserably. Its only value comes from (assumption minimal) epidemiology - revealing behavioral patterns with the help of statistics, and in that purpose it cannot go past the correlations. Thus it motivates research in statistical methods, which find wider application.

Having said that, smart people often go into psychology, and it is a waste of their talents.

thesheeep : the state is an illness, while an act based on the state (not state itself) can be a crime.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
This Markland guy is a carnival barker lmao

"STEP right up ladies and gentlemen, DON'T be shy, I stumbled drunk into my old VHS cabinet in the living room closet last year and then it HIT ME! Hit me RIGHT on the head, yes sir, my old Apocalypse Now videocassette hit me RIGHT on the noggin, and RIGHT THEN I knew I'd found the perfect IP to milk for crowdbux!

"STEP right on up and see the NOSTALGIA, just two bits, two measly bits for a handshake from me, twenty bits to get in and SEE the NOSTALGIA! Twenty bits, or if you're up (and when you're up, you're UP), if you're a high roller, a hundred bits gets you a behind-the-ropes extra-long look at the nostalgia, and a plaque on the tent wall that'll travel with the Dingdong Bros. Carnival everywhere!

"Step RIGHT up! Step on up and be a part of the energy of Apocalypse Now! Step right on up here, you'll feel like you're watching wacky young Laurence Fishburne groove and talk jive! You'll feel as though your hands are squeezing a pair of delicate, aristocratic French titties! You'll smell smoking gookflesh, and you'll roast in the humid tropical heat!

"Anyone? Anyone...? Well, uh... uh... OH, MY GOD! A onetime acquaintance of the man who directed this decades-old moviefilm diddled a little boy thirty years ago, but Mr. Coppola won't go on record and personally involve himself in the shitstorm! Sorry folks, but solely for this reason and for no others, the show is over. NO REFUNDS!"
"It's what BERNIE would do!"

sser

Arcane
Developer
Psychology is a necessary step until we advance to the total scientific mapping of the brain and utterly strip every emotion down to a strict and lifeless mathematic equation. The brain is a caveman science currently so ooga booga away.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
we advance to the total scientific mapping of the brain and utterly strip every emotion down to a strict and lifeless mathematic equation

I don't expect that to happen in the near future, if at all, but I do agree that psychology is flawed, but it's really the best we can do with the resources we have.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Psychology is a necessary step until we advance to the total scientific mapping of the brain and utterly strip every emotion down to a strict and lifeless mathematic equation. The brain is a caveman science currently so ooga booga away.

We+1.jpg

:shittydog:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom