Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 - now with lootbox drama

Cael

Arcane
Maybe, but it's debatable they'd deserve the accolade anymore than E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial supposedly causing the 83 video game crash. Giant bomb has an incomplete list of big releases containing loot boxes, which has jumped from 7 last year, to 20 this year. Publishers just can't restrain themselves enough to keep under the government's radar.
The Battlefield thing is the biggest blow up, though, that made all the news, which makes it EA's "fault" in bringing the problem into the mainstream spotlight, so to speak.

You know, the Chinese (as in China) seem to be at the forefront of a lot of the pay2win crap that is out there. If the game I linked to is anything to go by, they charge westerners 6-10 times more than what they do their internal market. I wonder how pissed off they are going to be to lose that foreign exchange revenue stream, and if the Chinese government had their fingers in that pie, well, I won't be too surprised if there were some... retribution.

:troll:

mbv123

Arbiter
They're just going to add this crap to the game after a few months when everyone forgets about it
This changes nothing, just gives the suits a bit of a reality check that they need to be more subtle about what they do

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Ok my jaw dropped when i saw this :
Screenshot_2017_11_18_Star_Wars_Battlefront_II.png

I never expected to see a game with score lower than 1 in my life. And with that many voters..... wow. Oh and the biggest haters are xboners with 0.5 .
To be fair, in the modern gaming market, with all the journalistic integrity of a mountain-Turk, a metascore of 73 is terrible for a high-profile AAA+ EA-level mainstream just-before-Christmas-season multiplatform game release in the biggest genre, multiplayer shooters.

I realize what stands out here is the 0.8 User Score, and that's genuinely hilarious, but a curated metascore of 73 is absolutely awful in today's market (sadly, but that's another issue).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I never expected to see a game with score lower than 1 in my life. And with that many voters..... wow. Oh and the biggest haters are xboners with 0.5 .
To be fair, in the modern gaming market, with all the journalistic integrity of a mountain-Turk, a metascore of 73 is terrible for a high-profile AAA+ EA-level mainstream just-before-Christmas-season multiplatform game release in the biggest genre, multiplayer shooters.

I realize what stands out here is the 0.8 User Score, and that's genuinely hilarious, but a curated metascore of 73 is absolutely awful in today's market (sadly, but that's another issue).
I totally forgot that there is a critics score. Who the fuck even looks at their reviews? I haven't even noticed their scores for years. All i care about is the user reviews.

Santander02

Arcane
But the suits at the top of Fucknormous Game Publishing Superconglomerates like EA do care about the critic scores very much, and to them 70% is indeed a shit rating, just look at Mass Effect Andromeda, they did "Mock reviews" that predicted the game would earn a Metacritic score between the low and mid 80s but then went full "You have failed us" on Bio Montreal when the real reviews aggregated a score of less than 75%. It's one of the only things that makes them pay attention.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

I totally forgot that there is a critics score. Who the fuck even looks at their reviews? I haven't even noticed their scores for years. All i care about is the user reviews.
User reviews are retarded, but at least they're not corrupt. Still, though, I couldn't help but to notice that the Metascore is absolutely horrific for a title such as this, in the current climate. It's actually kinda funny, because it could signal a shift amongst gaming journos, too, which is interesting, to say the least.
But the suits at the top of Fucknormous Game Publishing Superconglomerates like EA do care about the critic scores very much, and to them 70% is indeed a shit rating, just look at Mass Effect Andromeda, they did "Mock reviews" that predicted the game would earn a Metacritic score between the low and mid 80s but then went full "You have failed us" on Bio Montreal when the real reviews aggregated a score of less than 75%. It's one of the only things that makes them pay attention.
I mean, prestigious gentlemen such as ourselves may scoff at scoring systems and the inflation of the gaming industry, but the fact of the matter is that scores.. well.. matter. Whether we like it or not. Whether it matters to "real gamers" or not. If it didn't, they would never have inflated. There wouldn't have been bribery and coercion regarding them.

A score of anything less than 85% basically means that it won't feature in any commercials or promotions. It can't be plastered on boxes. It means that it won't be taken serious if there's awards, and people will make fun if it when they label it their own "Game of the Year" (apparently, every game these years is game of the year).

It shits on a ton of free positive promotion, and yes, especially in regions where digital platforms or purchases are not endemic (and you'd be surprised how many regions still depend on this), this will affect what game Billy gets for Christmas when his out-of-the-loop dad is trying to get him something nice with the least effort possible. "This looked good, but apparently it's not that great. I'll just grab.. uhm.. humtididum.. this thing here looks cool and have a score of 90. Done."
The only reason the game isn't a 90/100 is because of the loot box microtransaction drama.

The game itself is an easy 9/10
You say "the game itself" as if microtransactions, pay-to-win mechanics and microgambling isn't a fully integrated part of the game, insinuating that a game as a whole can somehow be judged based on certain parts of it in a vacuum.

Which is an absolutely fucking retarded idea.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

User reviews are retarded, but at least they're not corrupt. Still, though, I couldn't help but to notice that the Metascore is absolutely horrific for a title such as this, in the current climate. It's actually kinda funny, because it could signal a shift amongst gaming journos, too, which is interesting, to say the least.
I mean, prestigious gentlemen such as ourselves may scoff at scoring systems and the inflation of the gaming industry, but the fact of the matter is that scores.. well.. matter. Whether we like it or not. Whether it matters to "real gamers" or not. If it didn't, they would never have inflated. There wouldn't have been bribery and coercion regarding them.

A score of anything less than 85% basically means that it won't feature in any commercials or promotions. It can't be plastered on boxes. It means that it won't be taken serious if there's awards, and people will make fun if it when they label it their own "Game of the Year" (apparently, every game these years is game of the year).

It shits on a ton of free positive promotion, and yes, especially in regions where digital platforms or purchases are not endemic (and you'd be surprised how many regions still depend on this), this will affect what game Billy gets for Christmas when his out-of-the-loop dad is trying to get him something nice with the least effort possible. "This looked good, but apparently it's not that great. I'll just grab.. uhm.. humtididum.. this thing here looks cool and have a score of 90. Done."
The only reason the game isn't a 90/100 is because of the loot box microtransaction drama.

The game itself is an easy 9/10
You say "the game itself" as if microtransactions, pay-to-win mechanics and microgambling isn't a fully integrated part of the game, insinuating that a game as a whole can somehow be judged based on certain parts of it in a vacuum.

Which is an absolutely fucking retarded idea.

Of course parts of a game can be discussed and isolated, what are you talking about? An RPG can be overall shit, but have some really well done parts in it.

Overall, Battlefront 2, has TOP NOTCH, graphics, sound, gameplay, gunplay, hero/villain fantasy, cool maps, free dlc, cool game modes.

Yes, it also has micro gambling and somewhat slow progression system, but its not like it hinders what is already in the game. Star cards dont matter that much, and you have alot of heroes unlocked from start. I'm not saying its perfect, im just asying, if u cant evaluate the good parts on their own, ur a moron.

Microtransactions drag the game down, yes, but you can choose to ignore them if you want and just focus on the good game it is. Also, microtrransactions have been disabled for now so.

Cael

Arcane
Of course parts of a game can be discussed and isolated, what are you talking about? An RPG can be overall shit, but have some really well done parts in it.

Overall, Battlefront 2, has TOP NOTCH, graphics, sound, gameplay, gunplay, hero/villain fantasy, cool maps, free dlc, cool game modes.

Yes, it also has micro gambling and somewhat slow progression system, but its not like it hinders what is already in the game. Star cards dont matter that much, and you have alot of heroes unlocked from start. I'm not saying its perfect, im just asying, if u cant evaluate the good parts on their own, ur a moron.

Microtransactions drag the game down, yes, but you can choose to ignore them if you want and just focus on the good game it is. Also, microtrransactions have been disabled for now so.

Dear Lord. Someone give this EA drone a tag or something. He is like a robot advertisement for EA, singing EA praises and glossing aside things just to show EA in a good light. He is worse than a telephone marketer.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Star cards dont matter that much
h8mQ3Lx.jpg

KkfkLxb.jpg

BIXOk7v.jpg

So? At lvl 1, those are almost just as good as the epic one, it wont matter and it doesnt matter. I know, because I played the game extensively.

If you are getting killed by another player, ur just shit really.

I have killed plenty of people with full epic star cards and I have nothing, simply becuse they suck fucking ass.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Dear Lord. Someone give this EA drone a tag or something. He is like a robot advertisement for EA, singing EA praises and glossing aside things just to show EA in a good light. He is worse than a telephone marketer.

You're a moron. Kill urself.

Latelistener

Arcane
When was the last time they released something decent? They ruined almost all of their franchises (C&C, SimCity, Syndicate, Dead Space, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, younameit).
Sooner or later even DICE will get tired of this conveyor, and important people will start leaving (if not already).

Cael

Arcane
I know, because I played the game extensively.
Oh, I see...

Trying to convince yourself that you have not wasted that much of your life on a badly balanced pay2win game from a greedy megacorporation who has no aim but to leech every last drop of blood from the players, eh?

You poor thing. The light of reality is harsh and bright, but you need to embrace it, not fight it.

Cael

Arcane
Mengsk has PTSD. After spending hundreds of hours (and dollars) getting sodomized by EA's pay2win Cock; he is convincing himself that he is gay and enjoys it.
Oh. My. God... I didn't even think of that angle.

What if Mengsk spent all those dollars on the pay2win stuff? And EA just REMOVED P2W FROM THE GAME! No wonder he is desperate to get it back...!

Yes, yes, yes. I know P2W has not been enabled it. Just run with it, will ya?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Lol fucking butthurt morons in dis thread :D

The game is amazing and I had the time of my life playing it. Game is fairly well balanced and the p2w has been removed. Problem solved for now.

You guys must kill yourselves very fast. The world demands it.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
When was the last time they released something decent? They ruined almost all of their franchises (C&C, SimCity, Syndicate, Dead Space, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, younameit).
Sooner or later even DICE will get tired of this conveyor, and important people will start leaving (if not already).
Battlefield 1 is excellent, best game of last year.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

I propose "Electronic Autist".

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Lol fucking butthurt morons in dis thread :D

The game is amazing and I had the time of my life playing it. Game is fairly well balanced and the p2w has been removed. Problem solved for now.

You guys must kill yourselves very fast. The world demands it.
Do you get tired of trolling? Even the EA retards think that it is shit. There is no fucking way a somebody who can create a forum account can be that stupid.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
No actually the majority of non retarded people think this game is amazing and worth playing. Some of the most levelheaded reviewers are giving it great scores.

If you can't see past mMIKORITRANSAKHTUIjNSSSS and all that shit, then you're an ignorant fool.

Once EA fixes the progression problems and so on, the game is an instant goty 11/10

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

I propose "Electronic Autist".

So no counter-argumenter, k' means i'm right. Thuoght so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom