Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

Amon walks slowly away from the group as this exchange is happening. He walks into the brush to partially obscure him and begins to cast agony on the moron who just poked Marcán.

Agony: [1d100] = 39 vs 70 = Success

Once the bastard hits the ground screaming in pain Amon will run back. "By the gods! What did you do? Don't you know you never touch Daoine Sidhe! His magic is too powerful!"

Fast Talk: [1d100] = 35 = Success

nikolokolus

Arcane
Let me grab the runtling by the neck and intimidate with a strength check?
If you're actually putting your hands on somebody like that it's a Wrestle roll. If you succeed (parried, with brawl, wrestle or dodge), you can possibly grab him and overcome him in a STR vs STR check then you don't have to worry about "intimidating" him; he'll be subdued at that point. If you want to do more, like actually strangle him after he's subdued, you'll need additional wrestle rolls each round. If you just want to put your hands on him (push him in the chest, grab his tunic, etc.) then Make an Agility roll (DEX x 5) followed by a Charisma roll (App x 5). the latter is basically just you trying to throw your weight around without seriously engaging in real combat.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Amon walks slowly away from the group as this exchange is happening. He walks into the brush to partially obscure him and begins to cast agony on the moron who just poked Marcán.

Agony: [1d100] = 39 vs 70 = Success

Once the bastard hits the ground screaming in pain Amon will run back. "By the gods! What did you do? Don't you know you never touch Daoine Sidhe! His magic is too powerful!"

Fast Talk: [1d100] = 35 = Success
There is no brush here, the town is surrounded by a marshy meadow . . . However, if you want you can try to make a "Hide" roll and duck behind your companions to avoid notice. (because there's already a bit of a commotion, you don't need to make a Hard casting roll to avoid notice at least.

Go ahead and roll your POW v POW check with a D100 to see if you overcome the spindly guard's resistance.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you're actually putting your hands on somebody like that it's a Wrestle roll. If you succeed (parried, with brawl, wrestle or dodge), you can possibly grab him and overcome him in a STR vs STR check then you don't have to worry about "intimidating" him; he'll be subdued at that point. If you want to do more, like actually strangle him after he's subdued, you'll need additional wrestle rolls each round. If you just want to put your hands on him (push him in the chest, grab his tunic, etc.) then Make an Agility roll (DEX x 5) followed by a Charisma roll (App x 5). the latter is basically just you trying to throw your weight around without seriously engaging in real combat.
I'll do a grapple and subdue, then. Once Amon's trick is played out, and depending on how that turns out. Can I fake a Kurgan rage if need be, by the way?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Got it on the marshy meadow. This picture you posted looked like there was brush and other stuff in the area.

Hide roll is a success: [1d100] = 58 vs 61.

Amon has an 18 POW. POW Roll:
[1d100] = 39
The picture was more of a mood setter, but I see where you got the idea.

I'll do a grapple and subdue, then. Once Amon's trick is played out, and depending on how that turns out. Can I fake a Kurgan rage if need be, by the way?
The little runty guy is basically helpless, so you can do whatever you like. Faking rage isn't too hard to do, just make a Charisma roll with +20%, but these blokes are already pretty freaked out and reeling.

Amon ducks behind Solon's ample girth and begins uttering his incantation, crosses his fingers and flicks his wrist. Suddenly the ugly little guard seizes his head and doubles over in agony, shouting to make it stop. When Amon walks up and stands over him rebuking him for daring to touch Marcán, he crawls on his hands and knees toward Marcán and starts mewling and kissing his muddy boots, "Pl-e-e-a-a-a-asse master! Make it stop! I did not mean to offend!" Borric lifts the writhing man in his meaty hand and lifts him off of the ground and shouts a bloodthirsty battlerager's yell in his face. Uncertain and unnerved the grotesquely fat and outsized Mog takes a step back seems to think better of challenging you "Uh . . . Youze go in." he motions hastily with his club.

Moggle strokes his whiskers and grins, "I told you Skrixxax, Daoine Sidhe. There's a new Shire Reeve in town." Moggle plops his hat back on his head and strides through the gate, whistling some nameless melody. "Welcome to Lankshorn lads." He sweeps his arm across the dismal, bizarre scene. In front of you are "people" of every size, shape and description. Although calling them "men" doesn't seem quite right. Most of the folk seem to be touched by unnerving mutations: Some are small and lithe with spindly green arms and legs, others sport little budding goat horns from their foreheads, some walk on cloven hooves and when you meet the gaze of a man casually leaning against the wall of a house several feet away, you can see weird hourglass shaped pupils and yellow irises. He pulls on his pipe and blows out little puffs of blue aromatic smoke, before looking you up and down. He nods his head in greeting and turns around and walks away. Also present are several cat-men that look very much like Moggle who are toiling at crafts. Most notable of the folk you see, is a very large woman almost 9 feet tall and probably close to 50 stone weight, who is setting up a vendor's stall in the cramped village square. As you take in the view and walk a few dozen paces behind Moggle, a noise catches your attention. From around a corner you see a goatman driving a small cart in front of him; cracking a whip over the heads of 4 beasts of burden that look very much like emaciated, filthy men, fitted with heavy yokes and lashed to the cart with a chain. The four men barely look up, their eyes fixed on the muddy ground in front of them. The goat man bleats at them angrily and flays their backs with his muti-headed flog, "M-o-o-vvvve it!" he shouts in a warbling bleat and the men slip and slide before crossing the square and disappearing around another corner.

Moggle takes in a sniff of the foul and fragrant air, "Ah, I told you I smell pork pies. Come along we'll get us some viands. After that I'll leave you in the capable hands of Marjorie Stallowmade at Hornstoat's. She's an old friend, and you can get a drink and wait for me to finish my business there if you like. Otherwise feel free to wander about town, although I suspect Skrixxax and Mog are going to be pretty cross about that business at the gate, but what with all of the dragons, liches, archwizards and the like you've no doubt faced and vanquished, I'm sure you can handle yourselves."

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Once the cat makes his way, Borric holds up the rest of the group, out of earshot of their guide. "Should we keep an eye on this guide of ours? Trust him or on, we'd be hard-pressed to find another guide should the cat-on-man-feet be held up."

nikolokolus

Arcane
World Lore (63) vs [1d100] = 19 Is the term Daoine Sidhe familiar to Marcán?
No. You need a special success or better . . . this is not your world
Marcán knows this word Sidhe (shee), it's what the Druids sometimes call the ancient tumulus mounds scattered around Getae -- ancient burial barrows that predate the Keltic migration from the west thousands of years ago. Moggle seems to be referring to a people though, which doesn't really make a lot of sense to you. Perhaps the word is just a strange coincidence?

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Rhenmyr eyes the village for other possible points of egress, choke points, and threats. "I'd rather not lose our guide but he seems capable."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr looks around a little bit from his vantage in the square, but because of the tightly cramped streets -- some no more than five or six feet wide -- the tangle of criss-crossing catwalks and gangways overhead, that practically blot out the sky like a spiderweb, it's very hard to say where any exits might be, except the gate you entered. From your perspective, everything looks like a choke point, and the otherworldly weirdness of the denizens puts your mind on edge with worry; there's no telling who might be friendly or who might mean you harm from just looking.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"This place screams ambush. That it looks like we can burn it all to the ground around us if things get dire is a small comfort."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Amon looks around and the tallest structure he can see is the crooked tower at the center of the town, with the rickety hut perched atop it.

There's enough dangling ropes, hanging awnings and drying clothes to provide a decent amount of cover and shadows just about anywhere you look.

nikolokolus

Arcane
could he go from building to building easily as a sort of overwatch?
'Easy' is a relative term. You'd probably need a couple of climbing rolls and maybe a jumping roll. If you're trying to be sneaky about it (quiet or hidden) then these rolls would be capped by your Hide or Move Quietly skill (respectively). Sort of depends on what you intend to do and how involved your plan is.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Yes, let's try and avoid fires. Just as well, let's not antagonize any more guards, or join the thieves guild, or go into a mysterious tower. We shall learn from our mistakes, and for now, we eat pie."

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If nobody interjects any further, Marcán will head to the pie stand to join Moggle and eat pie.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Rhenmyr will stick with the group but decline pie. He'll watch for potential threats.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom