Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Jason Liang

Arcane
lol that's my point. It doesn't really matter. Pillars with a Might dumped wizard is not significantly more difficult than Pillars with a Might maxed wizard. You'll barely notice a difference.

Please tell me which part in the main storyline where the difference between dumped and maxed Might makes a significant difference.

I'm starting to think you haven't actually experimented with PoE's system at all. It matters, a lot. The only difference between AD&D and PoE is that you have access to your spells and abilities if you have dumped stats in PoE, everything else is objectively more valuable in terms of numbers and effects in PoE.

I think I've figured out the problem here. Lacrymas, have you ever played a Gold Box game like Pool of Radiance? Where you actually have to roll your characters? I believe that your experience with Baldur's Gate: EE and Baldur's Gate 2:EE has tainted your perception of AD&D rules. Afterall, in Baldur's Gate:EE, you're just rolling for the highest bonus total, dump CHA and max everything else. But play the ruleset with the gold box games where you can't choose to dump a stat, and you'll see that there is a huge difference between a character with 2-3 extremely high stats but also with some bad low rolls, and a character with only 1 extreme stat but no large weaknesses.

And instead of judging 2.5/3E on NWN, try ToEE instead. You'll definitely roll characters you like to keep but if you do they wont be able to get Expertise since their 4th highest roll is an 11.

But the point is, flawed as AD&D and 2.5/3E rule set are compared to a well-designed rule set like AoD, at least attributes matter, quite a lot.

They don't really matter in Pillars.

Imagine were Pillars a rolled system instead of a point-buy system. Would you really care about the difference between 16 and 17 MIGHT, or would you care about rolling characters with the highest total? Would you keep a 16/16/16/15/12/10 (85 points total) or a 18/17/14/12/8/5 (70 points total)? In Pillars, it doesn't matter, the first character will always be better than the second. But in ToEE, the first character is junk while the 2nd character has some potential. That's what I mean by Pillars is a stupid rule system where attribute (distribution) doesn't make a significant tactical difference.

AoD is also a point-buy system, but AoD has thresholds. 10, 9, 8, 7 and 4 (dump) are each significant thresholds in the game. Even a linearly scaling attribute like Strength each point makes a huge difference due to how the weapon and armor system works.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
BG has a weird mix of rolling and point-buy system in general, not only the EEs, no idea where that is coming from. We aren't comparing rolling stats to a point-buy system, both the IE games and PoE are point-buys (in a sense) so it's irrelevant. Yes, if PoE had rolling stats then a lot of combinations would be viable, that means all the attributes are valuable. Of course an 18/18/18/3/3/3 fighter, even with its meager total roll is going to be better than a 16/15/17/10/14/18 rolled one, there is no contest here and that's what me and Parabalus are arguing. There is no choice here, you pick the objectively better one, which is always obvious and the same. If your argument is that in PoE a higher roll is always preferable to a lower one, yes, because all stats do something valuable. So what? There's a lot of tactical difference between a 18 MIG damage dealer Wizard and a 18 INT controller Wizard in PoE. There is no difference between mages in the BG series, in terms of attributes, let alone sorcerers.

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

Am I crazy or do load times feel faster now with the definitive edition?

Jason Liang

Arcane
There's a lot of tactical difference between a 18 MIG damage dealer Wizard and a 18 INT controller Wizard in PoE.

The tactical difference between a damage Wizard and a "controller" (lol) Wizard in Pillars is their spellbooks, not their stats. The difference between an 18 INT controller Wizard and a 10 INT controller Wizard is tactically insignificant. That's the problem.

Try playing Pillars with a Wizard that dumps both Might and Int. You'll find that it isn't significantly more difficult and not very different from a Wizard with maxed Might and Int. That's the point I've been trying to make. Yes, a Wizard with 18 INT deals about twice as much damage as a Wizard with 3 INT on paper, but when you factor in the damage cap, how OP spells are and how retarded the AI is in the first place it really wont matter. Neither a Min/ Maxed Wizard PC nor a dumped Wizard PC is going to be significantly different than Aloth. Any "significant" difference you feel is illusory, like a placebo effect.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Yes but you guys just keep missing the key point. 3% in one stat is not tactically more significant compared to 3% in a different stat. Since all builds more or less end up with the same total amount of stat points, it makes attribute distribution tactically insignificant.

Let's not mince words here. I don't mean practically insignificant. There is an actual practical difference between a PoE character with 18 DEX, 10 INT and one with 10 DEX, 18 INT. But that practical difference doesn't translate into a significant tactical difference. Even though the premade companions do not have optimal attribute distribution, and yes, compared to a min-maxed custom companion they will be practically less effective, the difference between the two isn't significant tactically. At that point, why even have attributes? It becomes no different than a jrpg like Final Fantasy.

The AD&D 2nd Edition rules are by no means perfect or even ideal, but they aren't absurd (in the philosophical sense) the way that PoE's rule set is.

youa re dumb

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Pillars of Eternity. The balance is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of systems design most of the development decisions will go over a typical player’s head. There’s also game’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into its characterisation- game's philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these attributes, to realise that they’re not just well-tuned- they say something deep about CHARACTER PROGRESSION. As a consequence people who dislike Pillars of Eternity truly AREidiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the impact in Pillar’s linear curve “Incremental Increase,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Josh Sawyer’s genius wit unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Alright I swear this is gonna be the LAST playthrough

Breaking news: Obsidian's hit RPG Pillars of Eternity has just been banned in the United States for having narcotic properties. When asked for comment, President Trump, who signed the legislation banning the game, said: "Believe me, those guys at Obscurium are really nasty. They're really bad guys. So we're going to deal with them and take them down. They will be wiped off the map. These guys, I can tell, probably voted for Hillary."

Sannom

Augur
Please, the only games with narcotic properties are grand strategy game and niche simulation games (talking about anti-air missiles with a 600 pages long manual entirely in russian). Everything else if plebeian.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I just had an epiphany about Pillars' rule set.

It tries to be like BG2:EE by having 6 attributes, but Diablo only uses 3.

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Please, the only games with narcotic properties are grand strategy game and niche simulation games (talking about anti-air missiles with a 600 pages long manual entirely in russian). Everything else if plebeian.

What if Obsidian secretly owns and controls the companies that make those games?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was going to comment, but I see no one is capable of taking PoE's base stats seriously.

Long story short - when one guy says attributes don't matter and another says they do, make sure you are talking about the same difficulty level of the game.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Long story short - when one guy says attributes don't matter and another says they do, make sure you are talking about the same difficulty level of the game.

Another confounding factor could be wildly different expectations of what "attributes mattering" actually constitutes, both in magnitude and weighting of the different areas that they effect.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I suggest you create your own party indeed. It'll be way more effective as your guys will have nice synergies and you'll avoid potential disapointment due to the new companions.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Should i go for full party creation if it's first time i'm playing with WM?

The standard companions are perfectly suited for the job. They have some weaknesses, but are more then capable of holding their own. And they do add some flavor as well. Go with the standard companions IMO.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I mean - i want wizard and cleric, but not Aloth or Durance. First bored me to death and second not that boring, but still talks too damn much.
Also Aloth is elf. Male elf. i will not suffer such abomination in my party twice.

So if i get two adventurers, maybe i should go all the way.

2house2fly

Magister
Use Zahua, he's got good dialogue and his stats aren't hideous. I like Devil Of Caroc but she's not much use in combat, and Maneha is fine in combat but her dialogue and voice acting are grating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom