Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Arcadian Atlas: FFT/Tactics Ogre inspired RPG

jungl

Augur
I would say its hard and not hard to make a good tactics game. Every srpg game I played had always one huge glaring flaw. Grind, crafting sucked, overpowered classes, utterly useless gimmick classes, trash combat system. They all had decent world and story building for the most part.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Even in games with some trash classes I tend to take those too, and I keep them in that class (archers in Knight of Lodis, mediators in FFT, etc.)

That's like my number one game autism moment.

Deleted Member 16721

Can't wait for this one. I have very fond memories of both Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre, being 2 of my favorite games of all-time (with Tactics Ogre a bit higher up on the list).

I have faith in this team. They are old-school strategy RPG gamers from the SNES days and will deliver a quality title.

The music alone in the game will be incredibly cool. Love the eclectic jazz-inspired soundtrack (something that literally just doesn't happen in most RPGs).

Looking forward to it. :)

tsiforb

Learned
Patron
Update #18

Aug 15 2016

UI, Battle System, and Unity - Oh My!

This last month has been a whirlwind of activity! Things with Arcadian Atlas hit the ground running with the switch to Unity and we've been working closely with Patrick to get everything built in the new system. Here's just a peak at what we've been doing:

User Interface
The way you interact with the game is just as vital as the experience itself. A clean, concise user interface helps guide the eye and is both pleasing and rocking awesome, so we've been hard at work to plan out the user interface from a practical standpoint. Much of this is likely to change down the pipeline, but here's a glance at the encounter predictor:

4295991815e7e18a26abc1193006f0a6_original.gif

With a visually updating turn order, at-a-glance HP and MP readings, and predicted success rates on attacks along with a likely percentage of damage, we want players to know the likelihood of success in an encounter where every attack matters.

And the new and improved Action menu complete with a cartography design inspired by the Atlas side of Arcadian Atlas:

3fdc5f00ecaa8afbd763dae2ca526624_original.png

Battle System Creation
Because the battle system is the cornerstone of the maps, we're working diligently to convert everything to Unity, and the progress has been rapid to say the least! Take a look at some of what Patrick has already been able to whip up in terms of the movement and attack systems:

4e05158083de487e13d9616b1f579e8c_original.gif

The circular menu houses all the essential features like Move, Act, Status, and Wait options, along with room to grow and functionality that can translate well to a controller setup.

Unity Changes
And with the change to Unity comes a ton of great features that we've been hoping for! Now it's easier for us to create unites with different hair colors, hair styles, and body types. We've been tweaking sprite sheets to take advantage of that, and you can see a bit of that process below:

489b32b791ce4fc3e658050bca83856d_original.png

And this next month will see us focusing on fleshing out more of the battle system to ensure the maps, skills, and movement all work properly so we can start work on the cutscenes.

Charting the Atlas
We're moving quickly on the transition to Unity, and next month we're extremely excited to show you the things that we've been working on in the background while the system groundwork has been laid!

So all you space cadets, we'll see you next month with some more of the unknown reaches of Arcadia revealed!

Until then, name a planet for us in No Man's Sky!

Athelas

Arcane
Why would you tie basic actions to a menu and submenu's when you could input them directly (d-pad for movement, a for attack, x for ability list, etc.)? I remember playing Tactics Ogre/FF Tactics and being baffled that they overlooked such a basic quality of life thing.

Perkel

Arcane
Why would you tie basic actions to a menu and submenu's when you could input them directly (d-pad for movement, a for attack, x for ability list, etc.)? I remember playing Tactics Ogre/FF Tactics and being baffled that they overlooked such a basic quality of life thing.

Because it isn't intuitive. Shitload of srpgs do everything via small menus because it is tested and it works well.

Imo better way would be to get movement as default action and popup menu when you click on character. This is i remember how Disgaea works.

Also Dpad is wonky in isometric view as it doesn't properly correlate to what you are doing on screen. Few games had this function and always felt ankward.

Athelas

Arcane
Or they could leverage the latest technology. Most PCs have mouse support these days.
I was gonna suggest simple point-and-click, but then I saw the bit where they unfortunately talk about designing with controllers in mind.

Because it isn't intuitive.
Looks perfectly intuitive to me.

Also Dpad is wonky in isometric view as it doesn't properly correlate to what you are doing on screen.
But that's how movement is controlled in FF Tactics/Tactics Ogre, you just control a cursor instead of a character, and you have to open up a menu and confirm your movement destination - the sort of tedium that I am objecting to.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
My favorite aspect of this game right now is an actual turn order.

So tired of the ally turn v enemy turn paradigm that's dominated SRPG's of late.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Honestly cross and/or circle menu style has always been my favorite, with a 'memory+default' option built-in so you can speed through auto-attacking for most characters but can keep the cursors on the healing spell for your healing character for example.

Niektory

one of some
Patron

Becca Bair Creator 2 minutes ago
@T & Brandon - yep so we have a mix in our group too. We're focusing on mouse/keyboard primarily, but also taking into consideration what's best for a controller (because Taylor loves using a controller, even on PC/Mac games - he's a filthy casual).

Definitely focusing on implementing multiple control styles so different people feel comfortable with their own preference.

EDIT:

Becca Bair Creator about 2 hours ago
Quick edit on Mouse/Keyboard comment below (as KS doesn't let us actually edit comments): We'll definitely have keyboard support, and we're working to see mouse options. Because we're using Unity 2D and a 2D map editor, mouse usage is tricky with isometric maps and while possible, it can take months of additional map work to get it implemented. We'll see what we can do, though depending on resources & time we may focus more on keyboard and controller support.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm just going to do a little thread necromancy and paste the latest blog post. A little interesting stuff on mapping and some comments from the programmer.

Christmas Mapping Miracle

Hello again all you beautiful people! It's that holiday season with chestnuts roasting on an open fire (because everyone still does that, obviously) and cold weather blowing in across the globe. We hope you all are having a wonderful time across your respective hemispheres, and we've got a special programming and map system focus for you this month, so strap in for the ride of your life!

Mapping Maven

We introduced Patrick, the handsome, fresh-smelling savant of all things programming for Arcadian Atlas a while back, but we wanted to let him shine this month for all the work he's doing on the coding foundation of the game. So we asked him a few questions about how he got into programming in the first place:

What drew you to the programming side of games?

"Modding! It's a common answer for game developers and I'm no exception to the rule. After seeing how awesome "Rhye's and Fall of Civilization" and "Fall from Heaven 2" were for Civilization 4, I dipped my feet into topical content-swap mods for that game.

Around this time I had been incubating a fantasy setting for a total conversion mod for Civ 5, but the modding tools weren't all there, so I decided to learn XNA, which was then a light framework for ground-up game development. I started Red Tactics as a 2D tactical RPG prototype, and then applied my skills to learning 3D game development well enough to resurrect it as Vindis Saga Tactics. Though it's currently shelved, my love for tactical RPGs demands that I wrap it up one day."

What challenges have you faced with Arcadian Atlas that you haven't had previously?

"Squeaking out as much functionality from a 2D tile system as possible. I jumped from 2D to 3D a couple years ago, and used raycasting, camera rotation, lighting, animation blending, implicit depth from Z-axis, and all of those fun things three dimensions offer.

A 2D tile system has its advantages and disadvantages, especially when it comes down to map design and map features."

Arcadian Atlas needed a pixel-perfect world, and that's difficult to do with a 3D system when textures are rotated and overlaid on 3D objects. 2D allows for meticulous details not just in the sprites, but the world and maps, and we've always loved the nuance and character you can get through those little pixels.

Introducing OtterBlox
I've been a bit spoiled this past month and a half, working with Patrick to get some usability additions to our internal map editor: OtterBlox. We've been re-building the maps and working on some neat features like multiple layers on tiles and props for even more customization. It's been an addicting experience.

We've created some gifs of the engine in-progress for you guys, and we dub the mapping engine OtterBlox for allowing Twin Otter Studios to build the world of Arcadia block by block.

And just look at all the buttons it has! So many shiny, beautiful buttons. Makes building this bad boy below slick as can be, and if you're a bit sad that the engine is internal only to our team, we can totally understand. Perhaps one day in a galaxy far far away others can get their otter paws on it too. Here's to hoping, but we've got a game to make first!

Until Next Time, Merry Gaming!
We hope this holiday season sees you with a lot of free time with family, friends, and of course, games! There's no better time to finish up those campaigns you left un-done, pick up a few new gems, and ring in the new year in style.

And our very our gift to you: a sneak preview of our newest map's work-in-progress, Dantalion's Throne Room. Look forward to seeing this map develop in the coming weeks!

~This is Taylor signing off!

Deleted Member 16721

I think they could skip mouse support altogether. Why? A game like this could potentially play fine with either just a keyboard or a controller.

It's funny, but some games actually perform better with the UI without a mouse. Elminage Gothic, for example. The mouse just gets in the way and slows things down, and once you know the UI well you can fly around it with the keyboard.

Mustawd

FLUENT IS JUST HERE TO PROMOTE HIS SHITTY YOUTUBE CHANELL!!!

DO

NOT

CLICK

ON

IT

I'm totally serial

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...spired-by-classics/posts/1977712?ref=activity

Update 9: Grab-Bag of Goodies
While those backer rewards keep trickling in for equipment and accessories (everything from sandals inspired by the Aloha spirit to a Davy Crockett style flask for when you're struggling in the wilds), we've got a whole slew of goodies for you from across the game design spectrum.

Quick note:

Our Steam page has launched! The message boards here will serve as our main community hub, so we hope to see ya there!

(Be sure to add it to your wishlist to get all the juicy updates.)

Arcadian Atlas on Steam

Music, art, battle system and world map sneak peaks all below, so dig in!

The Queen Will See You Now
You didn't think you'd gain notoriety across Arcadia without running into Queen Venezia, did you? The woman Wulff has sworn to protect, Desmond has knelt to serve, and Lucretia has vowed to destroy.

b52daafe5aef30c785da8d63edc8b382_original.png

An Audience with the Queen
Becca's been hard at work on both her sprite and portrait, with Art Nouveau touches in her dress, hair, all the way to the very castle she claims as her own.

e794fc985f43f2c67581539e50bc0271_original.png

Queen Venezia Portrait Work-In-Progress
But the king still lives, and Lucretia still wants the crown promised her by birth. Venezia's comfortable life is in danger. How far will she go to protect it?

Traversing the World
Since we last checked in, we've been re-vamping the World Map, adding locations, pathing and a whole slew of things to get Vashti from place to place. Here's just a preview of a few locations:

1a191b98c5f4779644fb7f4fc436d58f_original.gif

World of Arcadia
And while Moritz is working up some music be-fitting our new map-in-progress, we've got some previews of the work he's been up to next!

d01af72fdf6d398b534e7b3699a95778_original.gif

North Arcadia
Music to Our Ears
We've been sending along videos and scenes for our German musical savant to work his magic on. In the spirit of sharing, we've got a few samples from songs he's working up, along with a special video he made to show the process of matching sound effects to a scene.

And to keep spoilers to a minimum, I've gone through and edited the footage to black out the more spoiler-y bits (which happens to be A LOT in the latter half of the video :D) #SorryNotSorry

Link to the video

And a few battle track ideas he's got brewing in that big brain of his:

Normal Battle Concept:
Link to the audio file

Go, Go, Form Up!:
Link to the audio file

Skills So Pretty
With the design philosophy of the 4 Core Classes in-place, we've been chipping away at the skills and have a few to show off this time around:

Cavalier's Shield Wall:

Why bother with a shield? Because that hunking piece of metal or wood is amazing at deflecting in-coming attacks. So why not help out your buddies on the battlefield with it? Shield wall drastically increases the evasion of all allies surrounding you until your next turn.

36a57113f4e8b2f2c2507550cad5b2c3_original.gif

Shield Wall

9a3116a58a2e6a5aae089148eed296d8_original.gif

Shield Wall In Action

Apothecary's Acid Flask

You ever just want to throw a bottle of burning doom on someone? Well now you can, and special modification skills can even turn Acid Flask into a corrosive acid to eat away enemy armor or a potent brew to poison foes!

d3e4cc22d7599ea7d47163c992ede59e_original.gif

Acid Flask

df5c22acaad6c52de82e83044c67809b_original.gif

Acid Flask In Action
Until Next Time!
Thanks for tuning in for the hodgepodge of things we've got going. And Look forward to more of a lot of things as we're working on multiple Arcadian Atlas areas at the same time now with many of the systems built and rolling!

Things are never dull around here, so until next time - keep adventuring!

Oh, and Fennic's been shuffling the cards. That can't be good...

d36b85da54f3c51bf86dad9feb52bc77_original.gif

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ctical-rpg-inspired-by-classics/posts/2037623

Update 10: Item Shop, New Maps & Marching Into 2018

It's that holiday season, which of course means new Arcadian Atlas goodies! And while some of us are snowed in, some are still living in blazing hot temperatures, and some are on the beach drinking pool drinks (not us... but we can dream right!?), one thing we all have in common is our love of some sweet Arcadian Atlas details!

942d1cf43eafe470fdf6df2284116549_original.gif

Item Shop Shaping Up
Here. We. GOOOOOOOOO.

Spending That Money
We all know the real reason people fight is so they can get money and buy shiny new weapons! So when it comes to Arcadian Atlas' shopping, we wanted to focus on the user experience above all else.

8da9cd82c4caf16e7459888fc05b4aee_original.gif

Outfitter Screen
It should be easy to see new items at a glance, and to equip specific troops directly from the item shop, which is why we've tried to provide as much at-a-glance information as possible in a pleasing way.

5119d703c80eae44232f11a3b9f311b2_original.gif

Buy. Everything.
And Becca's been having a blast designing some of the new map tiles that will become both the tavern and item shop. Plus, rumor has it you might get into a scrap or two indoors, so try to keep those swords away from the whiskey!

cd7045932163fe6475e2751d7c604a7f_original.png

New Interior Tiles WIP
New Faces, New Maps
Arcadia is all about the people who inhabit it, and what are people without wonderful locations to interact in? So we've been designing and putting our cast into some gorgeous and mysterious places, like Waite Ruins with it's extreme verticality and fall colors - perfect for November:

f98c51e9c4b733ec5193139755f50fb4_original.gif

New Map: Waite Ruins
Oh, and did we mention we've named this lil' dude?

7ccc0324e52f955498f13d90b2342652_original.gif

Poncho Getting Mad
Poncho is letting his curiosity get the better of him, and when he crosses paths with Fennic, trouble is guaranteed to brew:
[Link to the video : https://ksr-video.imgix.net/assets/019/128/513/4ea80f8aa281bed88a745c3e91e5dfbb_h264_high.mp4]

b3906a8cce73bbfd702dba81390e4849_original.png

And of course the Queen herself plays a central role in Arcadia's conflict. Desmond and Vashti fight by her side. But when so much power is at stake, who's fighting for the kingdom and who's fighting for themselves?
[Link to the video : https://ksr-video.imgix.net/assets/019/128/553/d11a0c3295dc2f78b3774f457ad895cf_h264_high.mp4]

Backer Delivery Date Update
What a whirlwind year and half it's been for us at Twin Otter! We brought on our coding genius, Patrick Brand; migrated from RPG Maker and began building our dream game in Unity; created new mapping, cutscene, and scenario editors with features not even possible in our previous engine; and then as scenes started to come to life, Moritz began the score and sound effect work to bring the world to life.

When we first set out on the Kickstarter back in April of 2015, we couldn't have imagined the possibilities opened to us by our switch to Unity. We had a vision of what this game would become, and soon realized RPG Maker was a limiting factor to fully realizing that vision. As with any development process, it's a constant balancing act to predict what the future holds, made more difficult when you have such a small team. And while we couldn't be more thrilled with the switch to Unity and the exponential jump in quality we're getting from Arcadian Atlas, we also see that our original delivery date was based off different factors. While the original February 2018 delivery date was based off a limited project scope and engine, our goal all along was to push for more. To push for something better.

Knowing that, we're sorry to say Arcadian Atlas won't be ready by February. That's difficult to say, and difficult to hear, but in the end we want to deliver the experience you all deserve. We've poured so much into creating the world, crafting an experience that is top-notch, and you've poured so much anticipation and support into the project from the Kickstarter to this very day. We couldn't be more thankful for you guys - you've made this project what it is! And we want to honor our commitment to giving you the absolute best game we can.

a49db31b042007a7936966f7bf9c3aa2_original.gif

World Map Evolution
So when will it be here? The million dollar question, we know. While we could throw out a date, we also realize that the multitudes of improvements Unity, Patrick and Moritz have brought to the project means the finish line is ultimately when the game is everything we dreamt it would be. Rather than give a date that could change down the line, we'd rather show you the game as it develops, keeping an eye on the next phase - our beta release - and then the full release after that.

And while Arcadian Atlas is still moving full-steam ahead, you can count on continued updates on the world, characters, systems, and classes as we draw closer to that beta phase.

Some of the things you can look forward to in the next phase of development:

ba9354a0863c6c6c76adf764ce532b13_original.gif

New Animation Work
  • Backer-specific content: Backer NPCs, items, troop naming, and quests as they come to life.
  • Game content galore: as we finalize the systems feeding into the battle system, you'll begin to see even more maps, characters, intrigue, and spells flying around the world of Arcadia
  • Behind the scenes: get a look at the tools we use to create the game world, and we're even constructing a lot of these systems with an eye to one day test and make them available to people outside our small team
We're so thrilled to have more time to spend with you. The suggestions, comments, and critiques we've gotten from the community have altered everything from the tools we're using to things as small as the font size in text boxes, and that's the beauty of funding through Kickstarter - you, the community, builds alongside us.

Speaking of which, the finalizing of our item shop and the soon-to-arrive tavern means we've got another Backer Reward coming up!

"Become an NPC" Backers, Start Your Engines
All you super backers at the Become an NPC level can look forward to an email in the next two weeks to help get the ball rolling on creating your very own NPC in the World of Arcadia!

0bd0ca7ce93fdf6fc223292aac067338_original.png

Everything from facial scarring, clothing, to hair style are on the roster - so keep your eyes peeled for those emails and Backer Messages in your Kickstarter Backer Profiles!

Jamming Onward
In the next couple of months we'll be focused on a slew of new features, like integrated sound effects in cutscenes and fights, dynamic music transitions, finalizing our gorgeous shop and tavern interiors, new characters, animations, and enough content to shake a big stick at!

So see you soon, space cowboys - and here are some tunes to jam out to until then!

Grooving on the World Map:
[Link to the music : https://d15chbti7ht62o.cloudfront.n...849778c99a74396d2f3ac3a8770416a7_mp3.mp3?2017]
Intertwining Fates:
[Link to the music : https://d15chbti7ht62o.cloudfront.n...5e3fc2b50901ae06ac795e8ccb02a9b4_mp3.mp3?2017]

SwiftCrack

Arcane
I don't know if it's a placeholder or a work-in-progress or something, but the shopkeeper's dark black headdress doesn't mesh well with her appearance. :obviously:

Zanzoken

Arcane
I never liked the walking in place animation from FFT. I guess I understand they want people to make that connection but it looks just as silly here as it did in the original.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom