Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Shadenuat RPG Mythbuster

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I also glanced over Roxor's review of that game which he did 5 or so years ago. "The best action rpg combat ever created" made be spit tea everywhere including out of my nose.

I stand by this still :dance:

Elex

Arbiter
Every character in the game ranges from mediocre/passable to crapretard (Nasty), with the exception of Ray and a few other cameo dudes.
the claws related NPC (directly and indirectly) are all good (and 2 are extremely good).

Elex

Arbiter
Where did all that go? Can I has it back please? That realisation in your mind that you can't beat high level human enemy because "huh, he is a good fighter actually, regardless of his high hp".
Some NPCs do parry and retaliate, also backstep.

It does feel kinda different, but in my opinion that's caused by how "floaty" the combat looks in ELEX, as compared to Gothic and Risen, when it's mostly a stand-off and bottlenecking.
this is why elex feel different

+jetpack,flamethrower and grenades

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Where did all that go? Can I has it back please? That realisation in your mind that you can't beat high level human enemy because "huh, he is a good fighter actually, regardless of his high hp".
Some NPCs do parry and retaliate, also backstep.

It does feel kinda different, but in my opinion that's caused by how "floaty" the combat looks in ELEX, as compared to Gothic and Risen, when it's mostly a stand-off and bottlenecking.
this is why elex feel different

+jetpack,flamethrower and grenades

You forgot Indy dying in one hit, reloading, and then shooting twenty times just to die in another hit.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
THE FOLLOWING POST IS 1) A QUESTION I HAVE ABOUT A BUTTON THAT MAKES THE QUICKSHOT "UI" DO STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND, and 2) A THOROUGH EXPLICATION OF HOW I HAVE BEEN PLAYING AND ENJOYING RECENT ACTION GAMES BY WAY OF USING MY STREET FIGHTER ARCADE STICK FOR PLAYING THEM, and HOW I configure such:

ok, so haven't played further than than testing out the controls in the area where CHOSEN 1 spawns because I play all action games with anArcade Stick.

Not every game plays like it should using a stick, due to the fact that 99% of modern action games (such as ELEX) feature a superfluous 3D camera which slugglishly pivots around an infantile little plastic nub, but I'll tell you guys my secret!

All you have to do is use one of those programs which allow remapping/rebinding your controller/arcade stick/keyboard/anything and making that device FUNCTION LIKE A DIFFERENT ONE.

I personally have gotten used to just using the xbox 360 ce CONTROLLER EMULATION app just because it's fast, it's simple to use and to this day it's done basically all I ask of it, what more do I need? Anyhoo, this is how I've played DARK SOULS on PC (using my stick), and more to the point this is how I play AAAAAAAAAAALL emulated games (3ds, ps2, ps3, etc) and RECENTLY my arcade stick shoe-horning was put to th4e ultimate test when Iplayed through NIER: AUTOMATA, which btw is the greatest action-RPG game ever made, and will never be topped (sorry!) and I did it with my fight stick.

How do I solve the lack of a right stick which swivels the view left/right and up/down? Simple: I use xbox360ce app's-- wait, FIRST I set my fight stick to DINPUT, not XINPUT, and I switch the stick's "mode" to "d-pad" instead of "axis".

- Then, secondly, I simply go into the app and make it so that the left stick and the dpad move simultaenously, but the RIGHT STICK has ONLY left/right movement, and i thusly leave its up/down right-stick analog axis empty.

- (This bit is kind of important as it affects whether or not your fight stick's lever/stick movement will be represented in-game accurately, or whether the character will process each move of the stick twice in a row, or somethin g else entirely): you have to always leave the stick in DINPUT and the lever set to D-PAD and then what you're doing is actually making the xbox360ce controller software make your Arcade Stick's completely non-analog lever, which operates entirely via 4 simple corner switches and make the stick's stick send X/Y axis information to the game instead of having the game receive analog numbers. This is the only way I've found for ALMOST-perfect responsiveness with almost no chances of the movement "glitching" out.

- anyway lastly, as i mentioned i left the virtual RIGHT ANALOG STICK's without any up/down axis movement; and since my arcade stick's 1 single lever is simultaenously moving the left analog + the d-pad + the left/right axis of the right-analog, this means...

When I move FOWARD, I move foward: When I move foward and turn LEFT... I turn LEFT and the game's CAMERA TURNS WITH ME TO THE LEFT. Since almost all games feature camera options for zooming/speed, etc, (although ELEX, surprisingly, doesn't offer much option but it still plays perfect this way anyway) you can fine tune that shit to utter heaven.

That is how I played thru NIER: Automata; well and also the fact that almost no single modern action/action-rpg/etc video game features _ANY KIND OF INTERACTIVITY OR REACTIVITY FOR THE PLAYER ON THE ON... THE... VERTICAAALLLLL PLANNNNE!!!! I've played Dark Souls Prepare to Shit-Post edition, I've played NIER AUTOMATA, and now I'm playing ELEX this way and I truly believe it is inarguably the most enjoyable way to play action games without resorting to kb + mouse BUT WITHOUT HAVING TO ENGAGE IN USING CHILDISH TRASH like console pads!!!

There is almost nothing that can come close, in context of playing a fast moving game or a game that features a lot of many and varied button combinations and press; nothing comes close to playing that shit with a mighty arcade stick. BTW, I did have a question in this post: in ELEX there is a button that makes the 4 quickshots assigned to the d-pad directions... uh, the button makes that little UI thing "cover itself". I wanted to ask if that button makes it so that you can then access a SECOND SUITE of quickshots, i.e. 5-8? Or does it do something else?

And before anyone asks no I'm not playing with my stick performing every move simultaenously on left-stick + d-pad, obv. since it would activate the quickshots in ELEX. I mapped the LEFT/RIGHT quickshots (simulatenous overlap, keep in mind) to the "run" button to the RIGHT quickshot. I made the TOP quickshot overlap/activate when I press START button. I made sure to disable START's "menu" functionalit, and just press keyboard's ESCAPE if I need to acess the menu, and lastly mapped the BOTTOM quickshot to SELECT button... ! WOW!!!

Hence me posting about the purpose of that button which makes the quickshot UI shift or whatever. Are there 4 more? Also, should I even worry about this? In NIER AUTOMATA there were also d-pad mapped quick-items/etc, but the game also gives you 1 single button which slows down game time and pops up all the stuff mapped to that d-pad so you can leisurely use whatever.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
BTW, check this out: in NIER AUTOMATA I had a stroke of genius of mapping the TALK/ACTIVATE BOX/INTERACT button to... check this out: I mapped it to left-stick (emulated left-stick, remember) pressing "FOWARD". This means that I can then just "walk into" people/items/anything and immediately "INTERACT" or otherwise activate the object without ever needing to slow down.

God sometimes I even surprise myself!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So this is what ELEX did to you, huh? I knew not everyone could handle it, but damn. I didn't think your mind was that feeble.

Zer0wing

Cipher
BTW, check this out: in NIER AUTOMATA I had a stroke of genius of mapping the TALK/ACTIVATE BOX/INTERACT button to... check this out: I mapped it to left-stick (emulated left-stick, remember) pressing "FOWARD". This means that I can then just "walk into" people/items/anything and immediately "INTERACT" or otherwise activate the object without ever needing to slow down.

God sometimes I even surprise myself!
And no button overlapping in action? Well...
:balance:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
of course yes by intention:

Joystick lever triggers foward movement, when NIER lead (kll me forget her name! b2 or something right) comes near one of the game's objects/NPCs/treasure chests all you usually do is press ACTION BUTTON in the radius of the thing and after about a split second (in default vanilla game of NIER AUTOMATA the ACTION button is actually already doing double duty, as are most buttons) b2 triggers the object.

by having foward input simultaenously always be "also pressing action button" it means i activated game shit by just running into them, and it had zero effect on any other aspect of game play, like say, the combat. (you can't "interact" w/ enemies via ACTION BUTTON otherwise my cunning plan would not have worked).

btw, returning to ELEX:

sooo i am no wandering around doing shit? graphics are bad? should...

guys.. SHOULD I KEEP PLAYING? this isn't riveting... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i konw this is really early but i just finished up the first mini-mission/objective/tutorial, you know hat i mean, and i gotta say, it obviousoly isn't the orgamisc japanime combat of NIER... but it really is growing on me.

graphics are ass ugly but stuff like the pipe swings are animatedly juuust right, and the slow pace to the fighting i really dig.never played any gothic or risen (yeah, yeah, come at me brah, come at me), and this game ain't half bad.

EDIT: Oh, forgot I actually DID play the first portion of GOTHIC 3, but coundltnt continue playing it because it was unplayable.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

they forgot check this topic for some memorable quotes.

I actually chuckled to see this was the official THQ Nerdic channel. Takes a bit of balls to put that up.

Also, "Gothic kurwa"
IHVGZh.png

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
uploading some brief footage of me ELEX'ing myself upon a rat, and doing dumb stuff and spending time fiddling w/ menu options with the two clips star-making moment being the part where i spent like a minute or so trying to barrel-roll into/inside a hole I DEFINITELY CAN FIT THRU which has a little water fall going down it.

Seriously, I totes could've rolled in man!

On a serious note the insanely high amount of designer-barriers and basically large amount of hey, you see that place/tree/mountain/etc? Wellit's just scenery! Suckah.

I know i'm barely out of the game's prologue, but even F: NV began by literally opening the world's door to the player in less than 10 mins.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected

OBV. the recording resource hogging was making me record such an asinine clip :D

i have a much longer one wherein i played quitea bit, and (i think) reached the end of prologue in that video. it's 5 gigs tho so i'm splitting it / compressing it.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
mein gott, wat riveting footage!!!

next i'm going to upload a very similar (in intent/design) video clip of me exploring NIER's 1st "hub" (she's named B2).

I want you ELEX thread ruffians to witness and be shiny and chrome forever afterwards.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
On a serious note the insanely high amount of designer-barriers and basically large amount of hey, you see that place/tree/mountain/etc? Wellit's just scenery! Suckah..

The hell you're talking about dude? You're gonna acquire a jetpack, sky's the limit!.

From the moment you go down the lift, and of course pick up the damn jetpack. Everything's open to ya. Hell, u can even ditch Duras if u want.

Tygrende

Arbiter
You're gonna acquire a jetpack, sky's the limit!.
Sky and the radiation.

I can't be the only one upset about not being able to explore the impact site of the Comet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom