Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

and what we usually refer to as casual games is that it doesn't really feel like it's compromising its vision to cater to a specific group of people. It feels like this is just the game that JVC wanted to make, and I'm fine with that.

If you look at Todd Howard's quotes, Fallout 4 is the game that he wanted to make. Sometimes people want to strategically shit.

Breaking news, developer says his newest game is the best, most perfect game ever. All games he's made before aren't even close to as good as the new one.

I get the impression that he's pretty genuine. It's a bit cheap to say that all your opponents are just in it for the cash.

Genuine over-enthusiasm is also a thing. There's some quote about creative people hating everything they did more than a year or so ago once they've realized all its faults, can't remember it now.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Genuine over-enthusiasm is also a thing. There's some quote about creative people hating everything they did more than a year or so ago once they've realized all its faults, can't remember it now.

The answer is pretty simple: Todd Howard is too optimistic to suffer from regular human emotion.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

From a Russian interview with Julien Pirou from October: https://vk.com/@tavern_homam-julien-pirou-interview-part-1

On the development of MMX and the canceled plans for the expansion of MMX and MMXI, Google translated:

15) How did the development of M & M X: Legacy begin?

I was a fan of the Might & Magic series even before I became a fan of the Heroesspin-off , so when I joined the Might & Magic Team to work on Heroes VI , I asked why Might & Magic X was not there yet . The answer was ... complicated. Poor sales and the worst critical takeover of the Might & Magic IX meant that Ubisoft did not know whether the new part would be viable. There was also the question of what will be the game M & M the X . The success of Elder Scrolls games has set a new standard for first-person RPGs : it would be very difficult to get a budget to make an FP gamewith such a production cost, but with a party, step-by-step gameplay, since this mix will feel strange and awkward for most players. In addition, Ubisoft has never done an RPG before , so it would be a risky business. So the situation was difficult. In fact, when Arcane Studios approached Ubisoft with a project that became Dark Messiah , it was originally called M & M X , but ultimately it was decided that their project was so different that it would be better to give it a different name.

After the release of Heroes VI , a renaissance of underground "cellular" games such as Etrian Odyssey or Legend of Grimrock took place . So I suggested: why not go back to the “old school”? Thus, we could honor the legacy of the game series, do it with a small budget and learn how to create RPGs in a less risky project. We had a management change, and our new boss suggested that we hold regular project competitions to decide which project we should do next. I presented the idea of the project “Might & Magic Legacy” , and in the end it was chosen.

Since Might & Magic was controlled by third-party developers at Ubisoft Partnersat the time , we still had to find the right team. We contacted several development studios, each of whom thought about what game they would do, but no one felt right (one very talented studio, for example, wanted to make a direct clone of Legend of Grimrock with only one city and one big dungeon , but for us it was not Might & Magic ).

We met Limbic Entertainment during the final stage of development of Heroes VI , when they joined the team to help Black Hole with some technical aspects. Then Limbic started creating Adventures. During the conversation with the boss of Limbic, Stefan Winter, we turned to the topic of how he would like to work on an RPG project. I remember talking to Gary Paulini, the producer of the game, who was sitting on the other side of the table. We thought the same thing: why not Limbic ? At least, let's see what they will do with the Might & Magic the X .

A few weeks later, Limbic developers returned to us with a functional prototype, demonstrating a study of the game world and a small dungeon. It was then that we realized that we had found suitable partners for the project.

16) Why are M & M X events taking place only on one peninsula, and not on the whole continent, as it was in the early parts of M & M?

This is a matter of scale. We had a small budget, and we calculated that we can only make a world that would be about the size of Clouds of XEEN. This included only a few cities and 20 dungeons. If you look at Tallan, the main continent of Askhan, then there are a huge number of territories, dozens of villages and cities, regions with very different cultures and so on. It is simply not feasible with our capabilities.

I was always interested to learn about Kartal, the city that was shown on the map of Askhan, included in Heroes V , but was never explored and was not mentioned in the game itself. It seemed like an interesting place to explore, without too much baggage. We saw only the eastern boundary of the peninsula in the campaign for Inferno in MMH6 : as a level designer, I created the city of Sorpigal-on-Sea there. At that time, this city was only a funny little “Easter egg”, but this detail prompted the decision that the as yet unnamed Peninsula with Kartaly become the region where Might & Magic X will take place , and Sörpigalle - the initial city, as in the old good times!

17) How could an astronomer Edwin see other planets so clearly through the Veil?

Creating a “skybox” for Might & Magic X , especially the night sky, we wanted it to be strange and magical and obviously did not look like a real night sky. We came up with the idea that the Veil will be visible at night, like the magical Milky Way. And from there came the idea that the astronomer looks through the Veil and sees all sorts of strange things, including the flat world and the distant planet (if you look closely at the pictures on Edwin's wall, you will understand that this is Terra from Might & Magic III ).

18) Can the Masters of the Elements from the Elemental Forge be considered avatars of the Masters of the Elements from the Universe of the Ancients

I, of course, prescribed them that way. For me, the Masters of the Elements are ethereal creatures that transcend time and space and can potentially have avatars in all the worlds of the M & M universe . True, in Askhan there are two more sovereigns [comment: per: Light and Darkness] ...

19) Is Jassad from Sorpigal-on-Sea - is it a real Jassad or is it a simple Easter egg?

This is certainly an “Easter egg”, but this is the real Jassad Attka from the novels of Jerry Gravela . Lane: Author of the Might and Magic book dilology . I contacted Jerry to ask him for permission to turn on his character and discuss with him how he should look. His appearance occurs some time after the events of the novels, he studies Askhan with his new best friend - Ail do Mer.

20) Can you tell us about the plans of M & M 11?

At first, we intended to make an independent addition to Might & Magic X , which would add a completely new region to explore (Wild Islands) with new quests, cities and characters. As in World of XEEN, players who have a main game and an autonomous addition would be able to take the ship in Kartal and go to the Wild Islands and vice versa. After the completion of both parallel storylines, finally, a new cycle would open about choosing a new Pirate King after the death of Craig Hack. The player could choose his candidate (he would meet them all during the previous assignments) and help him claim the title through the final series of assignments. Unfortunately, in the end, these plans were canceled. Canonically, Tsuan becomes the next Pirate King, as stated in Bart Brimstone’s script in Trial by Fire .

I had a concept for Might & Magic XI (codename: Odyssey , which is quite funny, given the name of the new Assassin's Creed ). The events of this game were to take place in the Dragon Gati, a mountain region located on the eastern border of the Holy Empire. The appearance of the free city of Stormcliffe was planned, as well as the naked chanri, the Black Skull orcs, the dwarfs of Ostgird ... The idea was to build on what we learned during the MMXL, and make a more ambitious project, with the introduction of a number of modern functions (for example, free movement in the game world). The player would have access to new races for the group (including minotaurs and Nagas) with their classes. This would be an epic journey through the desert territory: one of the ideas that worried me a lot was that the player was driving a caravan assembled in a small city and traveling around the game world. It would be possible to update the caravan, invite new merchants or mercenaries to join, and so on. The player would have the opportunity to take mercenaries as characters in the group (they would have unique classes) or leave them to protect the caravan from enemies (there would be random events during the journey).

Well, those were the ideas that were in my notes anyway. Unfortunately, MMXL did not have good sales, and therefore the project would never have received the "green light". This is especially frustrating, since MMXL downloaded a lot of people illegally.

Aaaand from part 2
rating_prosper.png
: https://vk.com/@tavern_homam-julien-pirou-interview-part-2

38) How do you see the perfect Might and Magic RPG?

I always felt that the Might & Magic RPG series should at some point completely go into real-time mode - even if not being a clickfest like Diablo, it will remain more focused on tactics and slow play, allowing the player to make sensible decisions. The game I see in my mind will retain first-person view and a group of adventure seekers, allowing the player to move from one character to another, and directly control the skills and spells of that character, while the rest of the group will manage (based on the personality characters) artificial intelligence.

In addition, this approach will allow several people to play at the same time, who will manage the characters. Based on the experience of the desktop RPG, I would like to see a game in which you can play solo or with three friends, and so that she would not need to be a giant MMORPG.

Therefore, I think that the end result would be similar to Borderlands in a fantasy setting, less insane, based on the group principle :)

There are some other details about Heroes games and others but I didn't bother to read.

By the way he is writing a supplement for Earthdawn tabletop RPG.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Mad props to that group for actually doing MMX.

It still got massively pirated even with Steam DRM and Ubisoft DRM. Yikes

This. A legit good RPG. The new Limbic setting is p. lame compared to the old wacky MM world and the class balance is p. bad but overall it's a wonderfully enjoyable blobber. My guess for why it got such a mediocre rep and sales is the technical side - it wasn't exactly a looker, some elements looked positively shoddy and it was quite buggy on launch. Grimrock wasn't exactly the pinnacle of graphixtry either but it looked pretty and consistent enough plus it ran flawlessly.

Too bad devs don't take more care with how their games look and run, it goes a long way nowadays. Technical sloppiness killed both MMX and BD4 and that's a damn shame bc both are very good games and blobbers like this don't come around very often.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I loved MMX. Been awhile since I just blazed through a 45+ hr game like that enjoying every second. They should have launched on Steam at aggressive pricing. Uplay was hot garbage at that time (still is?) and probably drove a lot of people off. I probably would never have even bought the game had I known it was Uplay beforehand, and I know a lot of people at the time ended up pirating it cause the platform was almost prohibitive to playing the damn game in the first place. Should also mention that journalists didn't really get behind the game at all compared to the pageant queen that was Grimrock.

Lhynn

Arcane
Yep, MMX released on uplay just to die. Its a decent game and i enjoyed what i played of it. But the loading times put me off.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Oh was it initially released just on uPlay? If so then that's clearly the main reason it bombed. (I didn't know, I don't buy Ubi games on Steam).

But even on Steam it wouldn't have been exactly a hit, in the technical condition it came out. Just look at Bard's Tale 4.

Sykar

Arcane
Oh was it initially released just on uPlay? If so then that's clearly the main reason it bombed. (I didn't know, I don't buy Ubi games on Steam).

But even on Steam it wouldn't have been exactly a hit, in the technical condition it came out. Just look at Bard's Tale 4.

Even if you buy it on Steam you still need uShit to run it still. Maddening.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Even if you buy it on Steam you still need uShit to run it still.

That's why I don't buy Ubi games on Steam. Doing so must be one of the pinnacles of naked retardery.

"Fuck multiple launchers, all muh gaemz in one launcher only!1!!1" says a dimwit. And then he has to download and install uPlay anyways and instead of launching just it, he must launch both it and Steam. Womp womp.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
Yeah I bought it on Steam and you need to be logged into Steam AND Uplay to run it.

I hope at some point Ultima and Wizardry would get a similar treatment, though there are plenty of fans on the forum who love the J Wizardries. I have a million times more respect for the passion project that the team at Ubi Soft did with their low budget and no marketing than what Richard Garriott tried to do with that abomination Shroud of the Avatar.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I was legit surprised and excited for it back in the day.
But I ain't touching it until the steam version removes uPlay.

Prior to MMX's release I bought Farcry Blood Dragon via steam - I wasn't able to play it because uPlay back then was a broken piece of shit that wouldn't even fucking launch properly.
Would've refunded it immediately too if steam weren't being hardasses about it...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom