Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Elex

Arbiter
also, i wake up today and i'm still amazed how terrible the main storyline is :shittydog:

Try not saving Caja

You can don't rescue Caja, and you'll still find her in the post-game visits ... alive and well.
They even have a dialogue about how she asks for an update on what's going on. :lol:
Zardom screams cut content all the way.
what happen of we don’t feed her mana?

Zer0wing

Cipher
Implying story in RPGs is top priority.
bWqMX2H.jpg

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was hoping some inconsistent and stupid stuff from the main quest were due bad engrish translation.:negative:

Also was expecting a transformation spell or something. As Zardumb transformed ray's bro into a jackal.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I was hoping some inconsistent and stupid stuff from the main quest were due bad engrish translation.:negative:

Also was expecting a transformation spell or something. As Zardumb transformed ray's bro into a jackal.

IMO he was supposed to be another guy you gotta beat in the finale, but they probably realize the content is starting to get repetitive and just left him unfinished.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

I also like how Jacques, upon getting the Orion power word, gets back to Ray and tells him there's a peaceful jackal back at the camp, and this is VERY VERY STRANGE!

Meanwhile there's like a dozen tamed jackals walking around the fort. Jesus Christ nigga.

Was also disappoint you couldn't use Orion on Sif the named jackal that one of the goys you recruit for the clerics has at his gas station north of Tavar.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Retested fighting molochs again.
So now their ramming attack justs takes away a little more than half my health bar.
They definitely can't onehit me anymore, I must have misremembered that.
Or rather I think I had to buy the best armor very close to the end of the game because I was constantly out of Elexit.
And I also still don't have the best armor skill, the constitution requirement doesn't allow it. And I only got the second best one a short time ago.

Anyway, fighting them isn't as difficult as I made it out to be.
Strong attacks indeed help, but not because knockdown but because there's another stupid glitch where your attack won't hit if the enemy entered his own attack animation at a particular moment.

Like this here.

The first swing just missed because I'm dumb, ignore that. The fourth should connect, but it doesn't because the game decides that it's the enemy's turn to attack now.
Ok, I take everything back, this game is awesome. I mean it's partially turn-based, guys.
:incline:

The same thing doesn't happen when I use a strong attack as the fourth one. Because that one is slower which I always thought was a drawback. Here it's the opposite, the moloch might still be able to attack me before I hit him but at least my attack connects and not even the attack chain breaks.

The same glitch where an animation makes you or them invulnerable also happens with evading thrown rocks (Shadenuat mentioned it) and with ranged attacks. I think I know now why my flamethrower ball of death often just goes through the enemy, must be because the guy entered some specific animation at the wrong time. That's why I prefer firing at the ground beneath them, it's much more reliable.

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
Retested fighting molochs again.
So now their ramming attack justs takes away a little more than half my health bar.
They definitely can't onehit me anymore, I must have misremembered that.
Or rather I think I had to buy the best armor very close to the end of the game because I was constantly out of Elexit.
And I also still don't have the best armor skill, the constitution requirement doesn't allow it. And I only got the second best one a short time ago.

Anyway, fighting them isn't as difficult as I made it out to be.
Strong attacks indeed help, but not because knockdown but because there's another stupid glitch where your attack won't hit if the enemy entered his own attack animation at a particular moment.

Like this here.

The first swing just missed because I'm dumb, ignore that. The fourth should connect, but it doesn't because the game decides that it's the enemy's turn to attack now.
Ok, I take everything back, this game is awesome. I mean it's partially turn-based, guys.
:incline:

The same thing doesn't happen when I use a strong attack as the fourth one. Because that one is slower which I always thought was a drawback. Here it's the opposite, the moloch might still be able to attack me before I hit him but at least my attack connects and not even the attack chain breaks.

The same glitch where an animation makes you or them invulnerable also happens with evading thrown rocks (Shadenuat mentioned it) and with ranged attacks. I think I know now why my flamethrower ball of death often just goes through the enemy, must be because the guy entered some specific animation at the wrong time. That's why I prefer firing at the ground beneath them, it's much more reliable.

You got it all wrong with the vid.
There is a still unfixed bug with 2h axes - the 4th attack in the combo doesn't deal any damage.
Since it doesn't, the moloch stops getting chain-stunned and starts attacking itself.
That's all there is to it.
Had the player in the vid been using a 2h sword or hammer, it's very likely that they would've gotten the entire 7-8 hit combo on the moloch.

Additionally, after seeing the tier 3 faction armour values, I seriously think that faction armour is overrated.
T3 faction body armour gives 60 parry str + 30 DR.
The best non-faction body armour gives 45 parry str + 14 DR.
The best headgear is glasses, anyway.
And I don;t think that the difference between plebpants and T3 faction pants is more than 5 DR.
Getting an Armor II skill is fairly easy, and it adds +10 DR.
Then there are a couple of decent ammies that add +5 DR.
So, you can reasonably easily get (14+4+10+5) 34 DR as a non-faction dude.
Getting another 20 DR on top of that as as T3 armour user is really unimpressive, considering your endgame life pool and the damage that the strongest enemies deal to you.

imweasel

Implying story in RPGs is top priority.
bWqMX2H.jpg
Agreed. :)

The story is ok I guess, but I really liked the companions and even many of the NPCs. Jax too. They all have pretty interesting background stories and the companion quests were also enjoyable.

Tigranes

Arcane
Every character in the game ranges from mediocre/passable to crapretard (Nasty), with the exception of Ray and a few other cameo dudes.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Bad story anywhere else - lol bethesdard biowares whores
Bad story in Elex - haha story is not important in ra pe gee

codex top rpgs: 1# planescape

:hero:

PB games tend to be tongue in cheek to a degree so they have an excuse for being crap, kinda. Most other games try to be super serious and so holding their stories up to the standard that they set themselves up to be is ok.

Grimlorn

Arcane
also, i wake up today and i'm still amazed how terrible the main storyline is :shittydog:

It's like they put in a dozen connected subplot intrigues but forgot to finish any of them or ran out of time to do so. Srsly:

- Evil dad. Evil dad suddenly appears in converter, then just as suddenly vanishes, and finally conveniently leaves you 4 audiologs to explain his evil and even then it remains really dumb. Wut.
- Zardoz. Zardoz gets himself a mutant army that he never uses, then suddenly trololo kidnaps Caja, and by "kidnaps", I mean "dumps her in his not-exactly-secret-lair so that the playa might come in and say whatho whaddup im here to rescue you".
- Zardoz again. His sudden-ass teleportation to Thorald and Caja and the massively tardo orion jackal shapeshifting are off the charts dumb and outside game logic (must be forbidden ancient ELEX magix).
- Speaking of, wise sensei Thorald who knows everything about everything including alb tech is... :M
- And then there's the pointless Thorald "ritual" whose only purpose is for Caja to get kidnapped, see prior point.
- "Yuo are a berserker, Jacques, and so is Kallax!" uhhhhh okay, what about it?
- "Jacques, there's a mind control device in ur 'ead!" uhhhhh okay, what about it?
- Elexetor Tarek the guy without purpose. Yo whaddup homie why you kill muh alb army in front of palace? O ok imma just stand here and pretend nothing happened then while i tell u about evil dad.

I can see where they might have been heading with some of those subplots, but really, without any proper closure or fleshing out, the majority of them just should have been cut. Remove Zardoz, remove evil dad, remove mind control chip, remove berserker origins, almost nothing is lost. You'd just have to somehow come up with a different culprit behind shooting Jacques's glider, but you might just as well put that on the separatists and say they shot you down to stop you from carrying out the hybrid's eevul schemes.

what a silly game :shittydog:
yeah not only does the Hybrid not foresee Jax defeating him, he misses Wardak's betrayal and his showing up with 2 Berserker kids as well. It also doesn't make sense that Wardak can just show up with 2 kids at the Ice Palace and no one knows they're not Albs. And had his plan succeeded how was he going to get rid of Kallax as he was an Elexetor after killing Jax?

Elexetor Tarek sounds pretty pissed off when he speaks, in the English version, for a rational, emotionless Alb. Zardoz's ambition is also emotional as well. There's no way after defeating the Hybrid to warn him of the alien invasion and get him to give up his petty ambition for First Elexetor which doesn't seem to matter much anyways. I suspect in the sequel we'll find out he's done something to Caja like a mind control chip, and that was the whole reason for him kidnapping her, but who knows for sure.

But now that I think about it, Zardom would have been one of the chosen and under the Hybrid's control with the mind control chip so how is he able to betray the Hybrid and First Elexetor?

Last edited:

Zerth

Arbiter
PB shoulda stick with their exiguous style of storytelling and focus over immersion like in gothic. Elex is enough proof that they go apeshit dumb when it comes of writing greater scope stories and complex plot twist.

And their protagonists shoulda remain nameless and without backstory. Since they do shit with his backstory anyways (almost nonexistent impact). Why bother writing it in first place then?. Better to spend these resources on better sidequest or somthing.

I also like how Jacques, upon getting the Orion power word, gets back to Ray and tells him there's a peaceful jackal back at the camp, and this is VERY VERY STRANGE!

Meanwhile there's like a dozen tamed jackals walking around the fort. Jesus Christ nigga.

Was also disappoint you couldn't use Orion on Sif the named jackal that one of the goys you recruit for the clerics has at his gas station north of Tavar.

Curiously, Sif was the first Jackal I thought to try Orion on when Jax found out Ray bro's fate.
Because:
a) Has unique name among tame jackals.
b) Jackals are not uncommon around Abessa either. A tame jackal lingerin' around Origin is as generic as any other tame jackal in Tavar.

Well, turns out It was that generic jackal in Origin. Men, talking bout' laziness in quest design.

Well not matter, let's try it out Orion on Sif, perhaps It was another victim of Zardom experiments, that would be a pretty neat way to convey a bit of sidestory about Zardom's character.... But NOPE... :cry:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In my opinion, it is worth buying. It has some minor flaws and some mind boggling flaws. Still, if you're a fan of PB, there is a fair chance that you will like this game.

Zerth

Arbiter
Welp, is a nice respite from a genre that is mostly updated with TB blobber and isometric PC releases. There is not goin' to be any other seamless open world CRPG anytime soon either. As long as you ignore main questline until you ran out of content ( + 40 hours I guess), u are goin' to enjoy it plenty.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I made a mistake of replaying Risen 1 which I dropped quickly when it first came out as I never was much of a fan of PB games and believed that they never really made anything decent after Gothic 1 & 2. (I didn't even like G2 as much as G1)

I also glanced over Roxor's review of that game which he did 5 or so years ago. "The best action rpg combat ever created" made be spit tea everywhere including out of my nose.

When I loaded the game I first had to re check if I installed the correct one, since the 2009-2010 date felt wrong esp. since there were... other... action games created in that era. It's like a game was made out of wood.

However, a few things changed my mind surprisingly quickly:

1) I am made of wood, but so is everyone else. It seems like everyone plays by the same rules you do. Since there is no stamina, you have all the control over your character. Sure you can't roll or dance like Geralt of Rivia but monsters also have a strict, sometimes frontal-oriented, sometimes strafing-oriented movement.

Which also leads to the fact that Risen 1, while it feels like it is made out of wood, has better hit registering and hitboxes than Elex. What the fuck? The sounds are kinda shitty but at least there's blood (different in color depending on the enemy).

2) During first 10 minutes of Risen 1 I met 6 to 8 different enemy types with their own movement, power, idle animations and aggressiveness levels.
I've met them all and defeated them without feeling like game is punishing me because of some arbitrary reasons. I even defeated higher level enemies - it was difficult to fight them, but not because they had more hitpoints (although they do), but because they are quicker or encounter has more of them. I also found multiple weapons - a few swords, a stick, a bow, crossbow, 2 shields and stuff. Everything felt like a nice upgrade.

During first 10 minutes of Risen I met:
- Turkeys
- Flanking wolves
- Dickbutt goblins
- Moths
- Hedgehogs angry that they're not fast enough as their blue god brother
- Murderboars

Defeating first murderboar gave me more satisfaction than most of the things in Elex for some reason.

I've also met later swamp slugs, a ghoul, and human enemies.

3) Human enemies.

Er, how is it that a game made of wood actually makes humans dangerous depending on their actual fencing skill? And makes you use stuff you learned from teachers to parry, flank and stuff? Human enemies in Risen 1 backstep, strafe, parry, and block with a shield.

Where did all that go? Can I has it back please? That realisation in your mind that you can't beat high level human enemy because "huh, he is a good fighter actually, regardless of his high hp".

Great. Now I'm more salty about Elex and I was already p. salty.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
well

i uninstalled STREET FIGHTER V and am right now halfway thru installing ELEX.

this better be worth it, you guise!!!!

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Where did all that go? Can I has it back please? That realisation in your mind that you can't beat high level human enemy because "huh, he is a good fighter actually, regardless of his high hp".
Some NPCs do parry and retaliate, also backstep.

It does feel kinda different, but in my opinion that's caused by how "floaty" the combat looks in ELEX, as compared to Gothic and Risen, when it's mostly a stand-off and bottlenecking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom