Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BioShock: The Collection & Sequel Rumors

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Where do you find this shit Infini? Can't you trawl the deepest reaches in search of incline news instead? Who am I kidding there is little to none.

BioShock official YouTube channel, subscribe. The shit finds you.

ciox

Liturgist
The answer to your wtffffff question is that these are the chickens of Bioshock's approachable casual gameplay and wearable young-adult fiction whimsy coming home to roost, in the form of what is basically a giant Juggalo convention.

Further reading:

pippin

originally they wanted to make the slug to be the thing you captured, but those are ugly things and they changed it into the girls so the player could feel an emotional imperative to rescue them

Zenith

Arbiter
originally they wanted to make the slug to be the thing you captured, but those are ugly things and they changed it into the girls so the player could feel an emotional imperative to rescue them
They tried to make the player care about not upsetting the balance in a persistent ecosystem, fucked it up completely, butchered the idea, streamlined it to "are you a child murderer", presented it as a point of pride and gamejournos actually ate it up and parrot that shit to this day. The wonders of PR.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The answer to your wtffffff question is that these are the chickens of Bioshock's approachable casual gameplay and wearable young-adult fiction whimsy coming home to roost, in the form of what is basically a giant Juggalo convention.

Further reading:

I open up this video on youtube to see if the comment section recognizes this pure unadulterated autism for what it is, and what do I find?

dc12e8a2f7.png

Sykar

Arcane
Am I the only one who thinks that Bioshock is the perfect proof for how utterly retarded the average gamer is? Especially the hipster retards who think that Infinite was some kind of "transcendent" and "deep" game, even though it is far worse than the first to Bioshocks and all 3 pale in comparison to System Shock 1+2 and the story did not make a lick of sense and is chock full of retarded plot holes and once you look longer than one second behind the fancy veneer it becomes shallower than a puddle on a hot summer day.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Bioshock is not a transcendant or deep game. It is merely a FPS with a more interesting story and setting that those games usually have.

Nothing more but nothing less. I keep wishing they had opted more for a Deus Ex like approach but it's not Christmas everyday.

pippin

To be fair, even popamolers complained about the streamlining of Bioshock Infinite. The praise for that particular game comes mostly from people who are not really into games, but like to play them from time to time.
System Shock comparisons are pointless because I'm more than sure that Bioshock's fanbase does not know that series.

I must admit the first two games are interesting in terms of concepts and art, but mostly in a way that makes me think "hey, I could make a neat comic or animation about this". I see wasted potential, creativelly speaking. Also, I can't avoid to point out the fact that this poster they make to mock old timey racists ended up being the coolest piece of art in Bioshock Infinite.

sj0IO.jpg

ciox

Liturgist
To be fair, only vegans care about slug murderers.
And it would have been very strange to have slugs protected by Big Daddies.

Bioshock was a very good game.

The slugs were pretty cool, they had animations for curling up when damaged by the player https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZtnM98JWTg#t=9m, sound design wasn't finished and could have done a lot (we never got to hear the cries for help they were supposed to make and which you could delay with certain plasmids), and honestly it also seemed they were some kind of human hybrid and not a sea slug, I mean they had human teeth for chrissake and even then you could "rescue" them which is suspicious because who rescues sea slugs? There was some crazy shit going on in there towards the end of their design.

As for slugs guarded by Big Daddies, I dunno but the original idea of a creepy primordial symbiosis developing between man and beast over several decades of isolation was more interesting to me than the hypnosis/brainwashing stuff in the finished product.
Some interactions they had with the slugs:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Woohoo!

They're putting these videos out weekly, like clockwork. What is this leading up to?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hopefully Jack and Shit like all those Obsidian (mostly) nothing articles.
Is there a version without the game clips and autists playing dress up?

v1rus

Arcane
Finally gonna sit down and play this game to the end. First time I tried i made it to farmers market and just stopped, for no reason. Guess Ill be starting a new play through now - but, i wonder, which difficulty should i play on? I havent played many shooters, and, first time i played, i saved all the little sisters and withheld from upgrading stuff with adam - for some reason i wanted to get all abilities, so I waited till the abilities got discounted.

Will hard fit me, or is it gonna be a pain in the ass?

Ash

Arcane
It doesn't matter. Challenge is non-existent, as is demand to use your brain in general. I'd recommend playing games that aren't shit, for whatever that's worth.

ciox

Liturgist
If you're going to have any fun with this game you'll want to play on Normal in order to not overinflate enemy HP even further, as the average splicer will have something like 150% health when in the lategame they already have about 10-15 times more health than the splicers in the first level, and avoid picking up items in the world because there's just no other way to create scarcity and fun in the game.
Something like: you can't pick up anything in the world that isn't a new weapon or plasmid, only enemy loot, and you can't loot the Big Daddies because the amount of money they give you is broken and basically just gives you back all the resources you expended on fighting them.

I'm gonna release a mod in the next few days, it's going to be awkward to set up as a player but it should do a better job of creating challenge than playing with altered rulesets.

Sykar

Arcane

The fun continues!

it's been TEN YEARS? holy shit im old

Only? I can look back at 30 years of gaming and I am sure there are some gentlemen here who have an even longer history behind them. The first game I remember playing at the tender age of 5 was Pong on an Atari 2600 in 1986. I also played Space Invaders and Pitfall. Later I bought a SNES when I was around 8 or 9 and my first PC, an AMD 486 DX2/66, I bought when I was 13 and scraped all the money together I could get from pocket money and my newspaper delivery job.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom