Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 - now with lootbox drama

Cael

Arcane
For what they did to the Ultima series, EA dying a horrible death is 25 years overdue.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
For what they did to the Ultima series, EA dying a horrible death is 25 years overdue.
But EA brought us a lot great things....
liara_naked__new__by_supermcvader-d4x6i4j.jpg

eea780683936344c1c94986d4f2ccc91.jpg

249.gif
i

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Go watch hentai and stop trying to derail a decline.
Oh i watch hentai there is some pretty good ME shit. Also there i no derailing decline or incline. They are force of nature and thing to behold. Even in times of decline you can still keep your pride and taste of humour intact!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Wow, this thing really blows out of proportion.

Existing hatred against EA (more so with the recent closure of Visceral), accumulated discontent against loot boxes and microtransactions, the most downvoted Reddit comment got the wide Internet's attention, the Twitter goofs from some developers, the alleged death threats and being a Star Wars game got the mainstream's attention, and now a call from Disney CEO, heh.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/disney-ceo-bob-iger-spoke-to-ea-ceo-andrew-wilson-today.6609/

Earlier today, Electronic Arts chief executive officer Andrew Wilson had a phone call with The Walt Disney Company chief executive Bob Iger about Star Wars: Battlefront II, according to sources familiar with the situation. A few hours after that call, players are finding out that they can no longer make in-game purchases with real money. EA has confirmed that it is taking that feature downto address fan concerns just as the game is about to launch worldwide tomorrow. All of this comes after multiple days of outrage from fans who are upset that EA and developer DICE have implemented an online multiplayer system that gives an advantage to people who pay money.

Cael

Arcane
Oh i watch hentai there is some pretty good ME shit. Also there i no derailing decline or incline. They are force of nature and thing to behold. Even in times of decline you can still keep your pride and taste of humour intact!

Force of nature? More like one of these:

Godzilla.png

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Force of nature? More like one of these:

Godzilla.png

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!
Fire work only on heretics mate,doesn't work on demons,they have natural resistance/immunity to fire. Even if you burn down the EA HQ they will still be ok,even will make money on the insurance.

Cael

Arcane
Fire work only on heretics mate,doesn't work on demons,they have natural resistance/immunity to fire. Even if you burn down the EA HQ they will still be ok,even will make money on the insurance.

Suprisingly, demons only have resist fire/10. Immersing someone in fire deals 20d6 damage per round (6 seconds) ;)

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Earlier today, Electronic Arts chief executive officer Andrew Wilson had a phone call with The Walt Disney Company chief executive Bob Iger about Star Wars: Battlefront II, according to sources familiar with the situation. A few hours after that call, players are finding out that they can no longer make in-game purchases with real money.

Has this picture ever been more accurate?

the-goyim-know-shut-it-down-jew-walkie-talkie.jpg

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Unfortunately removing the ability to buy yourself to victory doesn't change the fact that Battlefront 2 progression system is designed around grinding lootboxes to get overpowered upgrades. So now no-lifers who play 18 hours per day will gain a huge advantage over normal players.

Black

Arcane
Wow, this thing really blows out of proportion.

Existing hatred against EA (more so with the recent closure of Visceral), accumulated discontent against loot boxes and microtransactions, the most downvoted Reddit comment got the wide Internet's attention, the Twitter goofs from some developers, the alleged death threats and being a Star Wars game got the mainstream's attention, and now a call from Disney CEO, heh.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/disney-ceo-bob-iger-spoke-to-ea-ceo-andrew-wilson-today.6609/

Earlier today, Electronic Arts chief executive officer Andrew Wilson had a phone call with The Walt Disney Company chief executive Bob Iger about Star Wars: Battlefront II, according to sources familiar with the situation. A few hours after that call, players are finding out that they can no longer make in-game purchases with real money. EA has confirmed that it is taking that feature downto address fan concerns just as the game is about to launch worldwide tomorrow. All of this comes after multiple days of outrage from fans who are upset that EA and developer DICE have implemented an online multiplayer system that gives an advantage to people who pay money.
How far we've gone since linking to threads on neofag.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I wonder if countries start acknowledging these loot boxes are a form of gambling whether they are also going to acknowledge that many kids play video games and are under the legal age to gamble even if they do have Dad's credit card info. Shit should be illegal.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Unfortunately removing the ability to buy yourself to victory doesn't change the fact that Battlefront 2 progression system is designed around grinding lootboxes to get overpowered upgrades. So now no-lifers who play 18 hours per day will gain a huge advantage over normal players.

The solution is simple,

but even on Facebook some weak cucked bitch admitted he has Stockholm Syndrome and despite knowing how terrible EA is he will continue to buy their sports games.

average gamer = man bitch

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
EA wouldn't be trying to pull this shit if they didn't expect it to work one way or another. A few idiotic whales can make them enough money to keep the project profitable. Look at games like Guild Wars 2, which is nothing but a furry ERP engine at this point, they are doing quite well by selling pretty dresses to idiots. The same is true here. Have no doubt, P2W/P2NotGrind will return in a few months when nobody remembers this shitshow anymore.

DragoFireheart

EA wouldn't be trying to pull this shit if they didn't expect it to work one way or another. A few idiotic whales can make them enough money to keep the project profitable. Look at games like Guild Wars 2, which is nothing but a furry ERP engine at this point, they are doing quite well by selling pretty dresses to idiots. The same is true here. Have no doubt, P2W/P2NotGrind will return in a few months when nobody remembers this shitshow anymore.

Then we need to be cruel to the whales that enable these bad companies.

Don't play the games that have this P2W shit.

When they post on social media, make fun of them.

When they ask for help when EA fucks them, tell them to piss off for being so retarded giving EA money.

Make it clear to the whales that they are worthless scum and can pay for these games and play these games by themselves.

If you actually see one of these retards in real life, make a scene. Insult them and harass them to the point where you are still not breaking the law.

I normally wouldn't suggest such actions but the whales + EA and EA like companies is going to ruin the rest of the game industry. Dire situations demand dire actions.

Dexter

Arcane
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/17/wal...al-media-outrage-over-its-star-wars-game.html
Wall Street is freaking out as EA caves again to social media outrage over its ‘Star Wars’ game
  • Investors are now worried the controversy over Electronic Arts' "Star Wars Battlefront II" in-game monetization model will hurt the video game's sales.
  • "The escalation of EA concessions over the past month are a potential negative indicator of pre-order sales trends and overall unit confidence," Bank of America Merrill Lynch analyst Justin Post writes."
  • EA's stock is down 7 percent month to date through Thursday compared with the S&P 500's 0.4 percent gain.
Tae Kim | @firstadopter
Published 4 Hours Ago Updated 3 Hours Ago CNBC.com

Gamers play the video game 'Star Wars Battlefront II' developed by DICE, Criterion Games and Motive Studios and published by Electronics Arts on Sony PlayStation game consoles PS4 Pro during the 'Paris Games Week' on October 31, 2017 in Paris, France.

Angry gamers are winning the war against Electronic Arts' in-game money-making strategy in its new "Star Wars Battlefront II" title.

Wall Street is taking notice and lowering its expectations for the video game's financial prospects.

The company announced Thursday it is temporarily turning off all in-game purchases in "Star Wars Battlefront II" in response to the negative sentiment from the gaming community.

"It's clear that many of you feel there are still challenges in the design. We've heard the concerns about potentially giving players unfair advantages. … Sorry we didn't get this right," EA wrote in the post. "We hear you loud and clear, so we're turning off all in-game purchases. … The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we've made changes to the game."

EA's "Star Wars Battlefront II" officially launches on Friday, but portions of the game went live on Nov. 9 for the company's EA Access and Origin Access subscribers.

The company's shares were down 3 percent Friday.

Bank of America Merrill Lynch now predicts the "Star Wars" title sales are likely to disappoint investors and come under the company's target because of the gamer outrage.

"The escalation of EA concessions over the past month are a potential negative indicator of pre-order sales trends and overall unit confidence," analyst Justin Post wrote in a note to clients Friday entitled "In-game purchases benched the night before launch."

The "Star Wars Battlefront II" "bumpy launch week creates incremental risk to early unit sales (initial reviews also underwhelming). … We think unit sales could come in below EA's earlier FY18 outlook for around 14mn units."

Post maintained his buy rating and $137 price target for Electronic Arts shares, representing 23 percent upside to Thursday's close.

The analyst is hopeful upside from the publisher's sports titles will make up for faltering sales results for "Star Wars Battlefront II."

"We think the strength of Ultimate Team could offset a 2-3 million unit shortfall for Battlefront, and remain comfortable with our FY18 estimates," he wrote.

The initial uproar centered on in-game purchases in "Star Wars Battlefront II." They allowed players to save time by paying extra money to accelerate the "unlock" of major characters like Darth Vader.

The gaming community flooded social media and Reddit with thousands of negative posts, saying the company is unfairly compelling consumers to spend more money for content that should be part of the initial $60 game price.

The company had already partly backtracked as it announced Monday it reduced the credits cost to unlock key characters by 75 percent.

Even before the recent social media fight, other analysts were concerned over "Star Wars Battlefront II" prospects.

Jefferies' analyst Timothy O'Shea questioned whether "Star Wars" game buyers will pay more like consumers of EA's popular sports titles.

"If Star Wars can encourage users to spend real money on virtual goods (like FIFA) the game could drive meaningful upside to F'18 and '19 EPS, but this is not a certainty," O'Shea wrote in a note to clients on Nov. 1 entitled "Star Wars Battlefront 2: A Trick Or a Treat?"

The gaming community is still not satisfied even with EA's latest move to pause in-game purchases, calling out the temporary nature of the action.

The battle between gamers and Electronic Arts over microtransactions is far from over.

EA's stock is down 7 percent month to date through Thursday compared with the S&P 500's 0.4 percent gain. The gamemaker's shares are still up 42 percent this year.

The company declined to comment for this story.

Electronic Arts issued a securities filing with the SEC Friday concerning its decision to suspend in-game purchases in "Star Wars Battlefront II."

"This change is not expected to have a material impact on EA's fiscal year 2018 financial guidance," the company said.

ea-stockxdydq.png

DragoFireheart

I heard somewhere that all stocks are dropping value today and it's not just EA.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
In the end I'm just glad that EA decided to pull this bullshit on a Star Wars game I don't care about instead of ruining the next Battlefield. Hopefully they'll learn the lesson.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
In the end I'm just glad that EA decided to pull this bullshit on a Star Wars game I don't care about instead of ruining the next Battlefield. Hopefully they'll learn the lesson.

They have been voted one of the worst companies in America how many times in a row now? Did they change their approach?

DragoFireheart

They have been voted one of the worst companies in America how many times in a row now? Did they change their approach?

The only thing that can change EA is a Chapter 7.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

The current approach with pay2win microtransactions is new, so they do in fact change all the time. FIFA18 uses a similar system to Battlefront 2 but it's mostly played by clueless teens so there wasn't any outrage, just a lot of borrowing of daddy's credit card.

With this Battlefront 2 fiasco EA will hopefully learn that the older crowd that plays online shooters isn't going to put up with the same kind of pay2win bullshit, and design their next game for that market without such mechanics in order to maximize sales and thus revenue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom