Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
The "discussions" at the Obs forums are retarded. I hope Obsidian can filter the shit and find the good bits in there, not take everything wholesale. Like the "injury system is too hard!" thread.
at least everyone there agrees the removal of general talents and the character building as a whole is fucked.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
at least everyone there agrees the removal of general talents and the character building as a whole is fucked.

Not everyone, some of them advocate for the single-class characters to be as simple and as railroaded as possible to accommodate new players. I really have no words.

2house2fly

Magister
Me: Finally, a trader.

NPC: I suppose introductions are in order. Aloth Corfiser, at your service. I'm a wizard by training and an adventurer by necessity. I was born in the Cythwood, part of the mainland of the Aedyr Empire. Both of my parents served the nobility, which afforded me an education for which I'm grateful. However, there were no open positions in those houses, and so I decided to seek new means in a new land.

Me: *Frantically uninstalls*
You missed put on a much better later introduction:

Zahua: Are... are you real?

Player response options:
1. Yes.
2. [Lie] No.
3. [Lie] Yes.

Parabalus

Arcane

Not everyone, some of them advocate for the single-class characters to be as simple and as railroaded as possible to accommodate new players. I really have no words.

I'd rather have more class choices than general talents tbh. While general talents were an important part of PoE1's system, they weren't really interesting compared to class ones. They were mostly no-brainers (Marksman, weapon style, weapon prof., +20% ele damage), plain stat increases, with a few ones causing mechanical changes to playstyle like quick switch.

With class abilities there was actual tension on what I want to pick, e.g. barb, paladin, monk, rogue had some tough choices, I don't mind them axing general talents if those stick.

2house2fly

Magister
Seeing how poorly PoE1 ran on my laptop with intergrated Intel HD4000 graphics (pretty much unplayable and makes the CPU exceed 90*C) does PoE2, with extended graphical stuff run much worse, just worse or same? :P
They said that system requirements should be about the same, so I'm guessing "just worse".

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
The "discussions" at the Obs forums are retarded. I hope Obsidian can filter the shit and find the good bits in there, not take everything wholesale. Like the "injury system is too hard!" thread.

We're talking about people who complained about Easy Difficulty being nigh impossible back then. People who managed to get a Story mode through these complaints and who, incidentally, are the reason Easy and Hard are renamed something like Chill and Veteran not to hurt their sensibility.
They'll never cut this out, this is what they expect when they say they want feedback - So, how retarded exactly are you guys ?
Now that I remember it, they're the reason I settled on the codex back then.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd rather have more class choices than general talents tbh. While general talents were an important part of PoE1's system, they weren't really interesting compared to class ones. They were mostly no-brainers (Marksman, weapon style, weapon prof., +20% ele damage), plain stat increases, with a few ones causing mechanical changes to playstyle like quick switch.

With class abilities there was actual tension on what I want to pick, e.g. barb, paladin, monk, rogue had some tough choices, I don't mind them axing general talents if those stick.

Sure, bring on the more varied class-specific talents. Especially Druid ones (seriously). I'm not attached to the general talents that much, just the utility and variety they afforded to the different classes. "Keep the single-class characters as simple and railroaded as possible" is not that, however :p

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Anyone got a spare beta key? Or a contact with Obsidian, maybe? I'm just a poor russian so I took no part in figstarter but my audience kinda expects soms beta content from be (those lazy bastards could've donated more, lol). I've tried writing to their publisher's press email but they kinda ignored me (aww).

That depends! :)

Are you this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPUDMhS3tMc

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I just don't understand why these fuckin goofballs had to ax the entire fucking POE 3.0 system. It was a good fucking system, why not ADD to it instead of scraping the entire fucking thing and creating some casual streamlined bullshit.

Fry

Arcane

Resting is hard?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Noobs are already upset at the injury system, don't let them win: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94422-injury-system-is-way-too-brutal/

Every time I go on Obsidian forums and I see posts from Gromnir and I feel like sticking a hot pineapple in his ass.

It will be difficult to play the beta backer and give feedback, seeing posts from this guy.
I just ignore his existance without putting him on ignore. He was a retard in 2001 when I first encountered him, he is an elder retard by now. Watching people's initial reaction to him is usually fun though.

Is there a reaction from Obsidian's part to the criticism so far? Do they for example agree that combat is fast or that wizards get too few spells ?

I posted a thread on the Obsidian boards, whining about the lack of slow mode, and a dev answered that it's the sort of thing they want more feedback and encouraged people to give their views on it.

I guess it will take a while before we see "official word" on these things, since the beta is just released I imagine they are really just gathering feedback at the moment.
Doesn't anyone take notice how much slower combat is on normal speed in Deadfire compared to PoE ffs? According to Josh, normal speed now is a bit faster than slow speed in PoE. You mean this is still too fast for you?

I admit I didn't expect them to remove slow speed as they slowed down normal speed, but no one seems to acknowledge how much slower normal speed is now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Doesn't anyone take notice how much slower combat is on normal speed in Deadfire compared to PoE ffs? According to Josh, normal speed now is a bit faster than slow speed in PoE. You mean this is still too fast for you?

I admit I didn't expect them to remove slow speed as they slowed down normal speed, but no one seems to acknowledge how much slower normal speed is now.

Part of it may be that people are psychologically used to hammering "slow" when a battle starts - seems faster to them than it actually is if they don't.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So I installed PoE2 last night and played for about 30 minutes, just to take a look at creating characters.

I found the entire creation process EXTREMELY overwhelming, for several reasons. Seriously, I really got confused and had several doubts about what I was actually doing. That sucks for a lot of reasons. And if I was a newbie, I would have given up the game right there.

Some points:

1) I do not know if the new NVIDIA driver has tampered with the "optimal settings", but I found all the fonts very small.
2) It took me a few seconds to understand the flow of character creation. The buttons are the same color as the panel and everything is kinda hidden. Several of the new skills made no sense to me and I was a bit shocked to discover that "mechanics" now help discover traps, not just perception.
3) I have the impression that I gave "next" without choosing any skill and the game simply went ahead, without letting me choose a skill later. I'll try to play it tonight.

The game could be clearer, but I believe they will sort this out until the release, since PoE and Tyranny do not have this problem.

Agreed on the leveling UI. Obviously, it becomes familiar fairly quickly, but... especially with multiclass characters, it is pretty confusing at first. It's a combination of the UI itself (what can I click on, is that button greyed out or not, what am I supposed to do, why aren't those clickable yet) and the mechanics...the way you get one point most levels that can be spent in either of your classes but get two points (that have to be spent in your two classes) some levels... if I hadn't watched Josh's video on it, it would have seemed completely arbitrary, which is a good indicator they need tooltips, helptext, and maybe a whole-sale UI redesign.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Part of it may be that people are psychologically used to hammering "slow" when a battle starts - seems faster to them than it actually is if they don't.

I'm suspecting the same reason is at play.

AwesomeButton

Patron
question to the beta players: how weird does it feel the 5-man party limitation from 6-man ?

Hasn't bothered me
So I installed PoE2 last night and played for about 30 minutes, just to take a look at creating characters.

I found the entire creation process EXTREMELY overwhelming, for several reasons. Seriously, I really got confused and had several doubts about what I was actually doing. That sucks for a lot of reasons. And if I was a newbie, I would have given up the game right there.

Some points:

1) I do not know if the new NVIDIA driver has tampered with the "optimal settings", but I found all the fonts very small.
2) It took me a few seconds to understand the flow of character creation. The buttons are the same color as the panel and everything is kinda hidden. Several of the new skills made no sense to me and I was a bit shocked to discover that "mechanics" now help discover traps, not just perception.
3) I have the impression that I gave "next" without choosing any skill and the game simply went ahead, without letting me choose a skill later. I'll try to play it tonight.

The game could be clearer, but I believe they will sort this out until the release, since PoE and Tyranny do not have this problem.

Agreed on the leveling UI. Obviously, it becomes familiar fairly quickly, but... especially with multiclass characters, it is pretty confusing at first. It's a combination of the UI itself (what can I click on, is that button greyed out or not, what am I supposed to do, why aren't those clickable yet) and the mechanics...the way you get one point most levels that can be spent in either of your classes but get two points (that have to be spent in your two classes) some levels... if I hadn't watchd Josh's video on it, I'd have been completely lost, which is a good indicator they need tooltips, helptext, and maybe a whole-sale UI redesign.
I for one am finding the deadfire level up/character creation UI better than the PoE one.

It's steps-based, and the layout is organized such that the character model is on the right, and the data are on the left. In PoE you had one half of the UI on the left, the consequences of clicking that UI on the right, and a completely useless character model in the middle which was splitting the two. You constantly had to look from the left to the right side if the screen.

Mazisky

Magister
Noobs are already upset at the injury system, don't let them win: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94422-injury-system-is-way-too-brutal/

Every time I go on Obsidian forums and I see posts from Gromnir and I feel like sticking a hot pineapple in his ass.

It will be difficult to play the beta backer and give feedback, seeing posts from this guy.
I just ignore his existance without putting him on ignore. He was a retard in 2001 when I first encountered him, he is an elder retard by now. Watching people's initial reaction to him is usually fun though.

Is there a reaction from Obsidian's part to the criticism so far? Do they for example agree that combat is fast or that wizards get too few spells ?

I posted a thread on the Obsidian boards, whining about the lack of slow mode, and a dev answered that it's the sort of thing they want more feedback and encouraged people to give their views on it.

I guess it will take a while before we see "official word" on these things, since the beta is just released I imagine they are really just gathering feedback at the moment.

I played poe 1 only on slow mode and i can confirm deadfire may be a little faster than poe1 slow, but definitely slower than poe1 normal.

Imagine:

Poe 1 normal speed= 50%
Poe 1 slow mode=20%
Poe 2 normal speed=30%

Also, i guess people is deceived by the fact the main enemies in deadfire (can t remember the name) beta are pretty fast regardless, and they were fast even in poe1 slow mode

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
My thoughts, while reading 430 page discussion: "Huh, people complain about hatchet texture in PoE. It's weird I guess, but I don't think people will fall lower than that!"
Also my thoughts, after 450 page: "Fuck, there need to be a lot FLEX TAPE to repair that hole in bottom of bucket with name "Logic and reason", god damn it!"
To be fair I was completely lost when seen words "loredumped" and critic of Aloth dialog with comparison to BG dialogs.

Let me start with Aloth dialog. Aloth have noble origins and I think people not understand what it means. It means he belongs to class of society which obsessed with titles and signs of prestige. Signs of prestige included rank (baron, graf and etc.), birth place, job and etc. And ofc most insecure people from such class will show of those signs in face to any person from different class. He also had (and maybe still have) mental problems, which was result of his soul's Awakening. I mean, he had and probably still have woman in his head, he still lucky it was not prostitute, in that case things could be go in much awkward manner. So you approach a noble mental ill person with personal insecurities and want to hear from him normal dialogue? His ass was about to be kicked for his manner of speech, do you really expect from him standard "Hi, you can refer me as *insert name*"? Not to mention he is a spy, which working on local Illuminati group.

If we speak about BG and it's "beautiful" dialogues, "Hi, you can refer me as *insert name*" - does not count as reason to have such person in your party and sounds really like robotic pre-recorded message. What kind of idiot would recruit someone, who willing to join in your party while standing in center of forest and give only his name as information? I mean, you guys add in friends on social networks anyone who type as short texts as possible? Not to mention lack of dialogues with influence and dialogues in general.

About "loredumping" - I was mistaken and this forum about CS:GO and Dota? I mean if you not like read, then why you play rpg at all? You can perfectly spend time in Diablo or Darksouls (still have better dialogues than BG *trollface*) If we speak about hyperlinks - this feature is very useful and very helpful when it comes to description of big world with different continents with all inhabitants of this planet. And don't start this moaning "NPC can give you basic information, other you can read in books", in game books can't contain 365 pages of text by various reasons and IRL full sized books someone should be specially hired write at first. I doubt someone would do that, because books i not so popular nowadays. I would even say some real books need hyperlinks, for example J.R.R Tolkien’s The Silmarillion, because very hard to remember all filthy xenos elvish names.

And about bilingual people "who mix words only in conversation with people of same kind" - bullshit, sometimes people speak on emotions or use slang, so they have messed up their sentence. So no matter on which many languages you speak, you can mix words accidentally or by using slang.

Anyway, I can be wrong and devs really overused hyperlinks and fucked up (honestly, I not watched videos, because I don't want to spoil anything myself), but feature sometimes really useful. I am not sure removing it completely would be right decision. Maybe just remove translations or remade dialogues in way that translations not needed. In my opinion, there exist elegant solution - make language talents, which allow you understand different languages and you acquire those talents from teachers for gold or by speaking with npc in village (their words would be not understandable, but after decent amount attempts of chatting you will learn their language).

About gameplay: I don't like that they cut size of party, because I love bring companions as much as possible, despite lags and efforts to gather them. And I don't see any reasons why main character would refuse backup from, for example, 20 people in fight with god (fuck, that god can't be even destroyed with big ass bomb, how I suppose fight that thing). I was hoped for spell building, like in Tyranny (yes, you can hate me as much as you can, but I like spell building in Tyranny, because it's allow you create your own spells), but implemented in PoE setting. And you can call me asshole, but I don't like that you can't dual/multiclass companions only once. Because after 4 hours you can regret your choice and you will watch like your party is dying, just because your ocean folk with slave background not better choice for barbarian/rogue (just as example), but you wasted your 200 dollars on market gold in tavern.

But I don't think game will be shit, just because I will have less members in party and there would be tough choice for multiclass. Combat only part of proper RPG game, not whole game. However, if combat really too fast, as people describe it, high speed in combat can be really a problem.

P.S. I am sorry, If I offended someone, by saying things in contrary with someone's preferences in gaming, but I it's just my opinion and I can be wrong.

Starwars

Arcane

I played poe 1 only on slow mode and i can confirm deadfire may be a little faster than poe1 slow, but definitely slower than poe1 normal.

Imagine:

Poe 1 normal speed= 50%
Poe 1 slow mode=20%
Poe 2 normal speed=30%

Also, i guess people is deceived by the fact the main enemies in deadfire (can t remember the name) beta are pretty fast regardless, and they were fast even in poe1 slow mode

Very possible. My reaction to the combat was mostly a gut reaction and it could be a very psychological reaction the slow mode just not being there. Maybe it's being more used to Tyranny since it's the latest OEI game I played (not suggestion that combat overall should be more like Tyranny btw, it's already gone in that direction and it sucks). Been a while since I played PoE1 now but if memory serves there were times where I actually wanted to slow that down even more than was possible. What can I say? I guess I'm a slow motherfucker.

Regardless, I would like the additional option of slow mode, and I don't see the logic of taking it out even if they slowed the game down overall.

Prime Junta

Tuning-wise as it currently stands, the beta is a little harder than P1. Could be because the party's sure to be under-geared though. I'm playing on Veteran (Hard) and fights seem to last nearly as long as on PotD on P1. That could also contribute to the feeling that combat is fast.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
then no wonder you're blacklisted by Josh "The Saint" Sawyer considering he loathes min-maxers :)

I'm not sure - back when you could've actually look at who is watching you, I've seen that he has watched (or favored, at the very least) a couple of videos. And I've had no big problem in getting the Tyranny press keys (albeit those were given by a different publisher).

Well, anyways, it's more about someone here mb having some obsidian contacts and whatnot.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Infinitron

36:39 -- can you feel the hate flowing through him :)

... that laugh at 37:08...
the attitude at 37:45! for fuck's sake! he's way worse than I remembered :)

Now you can stop wondering and use your shilling aura and get that man a beta key!

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The citation was needed for Nerdcommando being blacklisted, not for Josh hating min-maxers (though that's not true either)

As for keys, well, we have a few Codex fundraiser donors who deserve keys. Maybe if one of them doesn't want his...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom