Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ludo Lense Thread

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yes, because the game gives you tutorial on sneaking.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
this game's general obtuse opacity is one thing, but another is that it was something obvious to me as a pb gaem veteran, and lewdo is also a pb gaem veteran

Shadenuat

Arcane
Expecting your tier 1 sneak work at high tier robot is also somewhat of a stretch. It's not a troll sleeping at night time loudly snooring into whole area. Also, I think monster spawns there can actually fuck up robot's position.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Expecting your tier 1 sneak work at high tier robot is also somewhat of a stretch.

it doesnt hurt to try

and also - sneak is not tiered
mystery.png

Shadenuat

Arcane
Expecting your tier 1 sneak work at high tier robot is also somewhat of a stretch.

it doesnt hurt to try

and also - sneak is not tiered
mystery.png
but... muh description. "improves probability of remaining undetected" :argh:
oh right it's probably "undetected when pickpocketing"
but then there's chameleon and a viking spell that cuts enemy detection. does that do anything to sneak?
but then how does actually sneak work--
.....ah, whatever. who cares.

just use grenades and mind changer.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
No mention of how Coldness do anything?
:(
It took the cut, I find talking about morality meters again very boring and I just didn't think I had anything meaningful to say. I do mention it tangentially during the elex potions bit and a little in the main quest bit.

You sorta complain that the Edan converter quest to grab a goy's weapon from the mech is a ridiculous early game moment where you have to face a big enemy at lvl [nothing] - but notice that the mech is conveniently turned around and the weapon is BEHIND it. So you can just sneak in (with the actual sneaking like for stealing), take it and gtfo without aggro.

That was an extreme example in reference to the aggro ranges some monsters have.

I use the Hort chip quest in reference to "ridiculous early game moment where you have to face a big enemy at lvl [nothing]"

That being said, it is very hard to tell what is intended or not due to the issues in this game. I still succeeded the first time around with the run for a million miles method so I didn't bother with the stealth approach. If I had done it I would have felt incredulity at the design which allows you to sneak in broad daylight near a mech. So the resolutions to this quest are "I can't believe the designers allowed for this solution" and "I can't believe I am in Tavar and still being chased".

What is sad is that this type of quest is also done right further along the line, namely the quest associated with the merchant near the Hort. Stealthing past the rippers at night felt like much more of an Eureka moment since they actually have sleep animations and thinking "I wonder if I can grab this stuff at night since animals sleep in this game" is much more sound than "I wonder if this giant death machine has 0 awareness of its surroundings".

RK47

Patron
Duras was over-stretching himself cause he's the Tutorial guy.
Just listen to him.
He's BEGGING for newcomers to get what he says.
But most people would tell him to stfu and point to the next dragon that dovakin has to kill.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Solid review. Game looks rather awkward overall tbh. From the animations (presumably ported over from early gothic titles or something, they certainly look the part), the shitty sword trails, goofy armor designs at least on the medieval dudes (and that 2h sword, hahahahaha), general physics and hitbox jank, awkwardly proportioned characters... I wish german devs would get their shit in order already... It's like all they never bothered getting better at any of that since the early days of the gothic series.
Archimedean dynasty, the settlers 1&2, Albion (well, to some degree), maybe Gothic 1&2 (goofy almost console-y combat and controls) etc... Those were the days.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Good point on the humor as well, and the lack thereof in ELEX. I've been playing through Gothic 2 again and there are moments of dialogue that are laugh out loud funny, especially some of the Nameless Hero's sarcastic delivery of certain lines. Overall everyone had this blase attitude towards the world around them in Gothic, which made it feel more like a consistent, time worn world--it makes sense that people living in that world are not easily impressed by it. In ELEX it's like everyone just woke up the day before the game started and they're still not sure as to what is happening around them. The game can't seem to make up it's mind as to when the apocalypse took place, either hundreds of years ago or yesterday morning.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Hey English experts, some people keep saying that I am wrong and that "Or, I don't eat the wrong thing and get poisoned" is correct.

The context is that he is listing off things that will kill him in the wild. Shouldn't it be "Or, I don't eat the right thing and get poisoned" or "Or, I eat the wrong thing and get poisoned"?

I don't see how not eating the incorrect thing and thus getting poisoned makes any sense.

Shadenuat

Arcane
no expert but

I will only be fine if:
- Animals won't get me first
and if
- I won't eat wrong thing and get poisoned

Doesn't roll off the tongue though, looks like very casual talk.

RK47

Patron
Grenades. You didn't cover grenades.
A cardinal sin of the highest order.
Prostate before Calaan ten times at dawn.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Grenades. You didn't cover grenades.
A cardinal sin of the highest order.
Prostate before Calaan ten times at dawn.

Truth be told I didn't play with them that much, they get filed under the AoE=Broken Hitboxes category.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good video as usual, i mostly agree with everything.

And yeah, the English translation seems to be botched and some subtext are lost in it, which is shameful.

Incantatar

Cipher
They added subtext in some dialogue though. The writing isn't good either way. The big plus of the German version is imo the hiring of several Gothic voices including the hero as Jax. That was pretty cool.

Lhynn

Arcane
Unno, maybe something to do with the codex reputation? or maybe he just quit the internet over his channel still being small?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom