Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do they still make blobbers? asking for a friend

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sword & Sorcery : Underworld is fun. There isn't a distinct overland but there are cities.
Youtubed that. Well it kinda looks like a self-published cheap comic book more than anything. Dunno.
Yeah, it's a one-man project with average aesthetics, but it's made by someone who really has a lot of passion for the early Might&Magic titles and he managed to produce a really well-rounded experience. In terms of scope, it's maybe a tenth of what Grimoire has to offer, but unlike that, Swords&Sorcery is well aware of its own boundaries and doesn't make promises it fails to keep.
Definitely try.
Heroes of a Broken Land (not strictly a blobber)
Wow that's ugly
And boring. Don't bother. Random generated dungeons, 'nuff said.

Depending on your definition of blobber, you might also want to give Lords of Xulima a try.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
circ

Here, form your own opinion! It's the best way :)

- Video of The Royal Tomb dungeon, a mid-point dungeon that is my personal favorite in Elminage: Gothic. Footage consists mostly of me "showcasing" the Tomb's introductory navigational/warp puzzle, but there are random encounters for you to look at, and you'll notice my party is also being chased by an invisible enemy that the party can't damage yet (you must acquire an item):

- Video of one of Elminage: Gothic parties getting wiped by some dragons, kekeke:

Now, the following video is a 2-3 minute clip of my Wizardry Empire 2: Legacy of the Princess party exploring for the first time the first portion/floor of the game's 2nd dungeon. If you watch the video, which I hope you do, you will not only see that:

a) There is no animu.
b) It is more Wizardry than even classic Wizardry games, and I don't wanna spoil what happens in the clip but I get rocked and not by enemies...
c) You'll also see how "hard core" it is and how true to Wiz dna it is, but still featuring cherry-picked stuff that was added by Bradley in 6/7, such as many more Races and other shit and the two spell schools Bradley added fully integrated into "classic Wiz" game play.

Anyway, I hyped it a lot so:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'll refrain from spamming videos from my YT channel but I just wanted to post those from my two favorite jap-blobbers for circ, so that he can simply watch them and form his own individual opinion on whether he finds them interesting or not!

I'm nice like that.

BTW, if you like Bard's Tale you need to go play DEVIL'S WHISKEY right fucking now. Some say it's too convoluted for its own good, over-thinking stuff that BT got right the first time, but I enjoyed the fuck outta it.

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot to mention/include Lords of Xulima! That game is fantastic as well, and is most definitely a blobber.

circ

Arcane
I've been playing StarCrawlers lately. It's really bad. Made worse by crashing and a bare-bones save system. I wouldn't mind a properly made sci-fi blobber even. Anyway.

So I've looked into the japanese stuff on youtube. From what I can tell most if not all of the recent stuff follows the same paper cut-out static image look; no animations and static dungeons with some switches tacked on for basic interactivity, and not even animated doors, and combat seems like some of the most amateurish stuff I've ever seen. Japanese rpgs from the 90s atleast had some detail, the new stuff look like a barely interactive comic, put together in a month.

Looks to me like blobbers in first person are pretty much in limbo at this point, as the japanese stuff caters to people with no interest in detailed combat or visual quality from what I can tell.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
So I've looked into the japanese stuff on youtube. From what I can tell most if not all of the recent stuff follows the same paper cut-out static image look; no animations and static dungeons with some switches tacked on for basic interactivity, and not even animated doors, and combat seems like some of the most amateurish stuff I've ever seen. Japanese rpgs from the 90s atleast had some detail, the new stuff look like a barely interactive comic, put together in a month.

The target audience of blobbers doesn't really care about visual fidelity or detail, so that isn't a priority.

PrettyDeadman

If you want a really good blobber, you must go japanese.

Otherwise, play whatever scraps what are left.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I hear there's a great blobber with fantastic animated doors called Resident Evil, you should check it out.

circ

Arcane
Right boys. You should not ask for even the most basic of animated features, showing a semblance of competence and detail. Fuck you gamer, eat your shit and take it up the ass.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
You should not ask for even the most basic of animated features, showing a semblance of competence and detail

If all that's required for animated doors is "showing a semblance of competence and detail", then why don't you try making a game with them yourself?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Iznaliu

don't bother. circ missed the point completely about graphics and blobbers.

He is conflating sprite layers with game design, i.e. he doesn't know a thing about what he's talking about.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Right boys. You should not ask for even the most basic of animated features, showing a semblance of competence and detail. Fuck you gamer, eat your shit and take it up the ass.

If you want a blobber with full animations, doors included, then Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land does exactly that. The problem is that animations, beyond the most basic ones, are a detriment for most blobbers. They make the experience unnecessarily slower without adding anything that many blobber fans would consider to be of value. Which is why many people give up on Tales of the Forsaken Land, because it feels a lot more sluggish than it needs to be, which is a shame since it's a really good game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom