Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Arcturus - The curse and loss of divinity = Ongoing translation

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Copypasting this from the romhacking forum in case someone might be interested here.

I'm currently working on the translation of Arcturus - The curse and loss of divinity.

XVIepHo.jpg

rtODifd.jpg

What's Arcturus? Why, it's one of the most famous PC RPGs in Korea!
Developed in 2000 by Sonnori and Gravity (the creator of Ragnarok Online), Arcturus uses the Ragnarok engine, has Grandia 2-like combat, boasts a bunch of tormented characters and has an epic story focused on death, gods and mankind's folly.
Another team already tried to translate this game some years ago, but they eventually abandoned the project. This project uses none of the previously made translations and is based on the Japanese localization of the game by Falcom.

5kqGuFX.jpg

erQqMBn.jpg

2VgUYwg.jpg

Team:
Just me, folks.
Special thanks to MrRichard999, LunaireticOmega, ArcturusFan and peco for the help and support.

Total progress: 90%
Detailed progress:
  • Menus: 100%
  • Magic: 100%
  • Skills: 100%
  • Items: 100%
  • Books: 100%
  • Non cut-scene text: 100%
  • Cut-scenes: 100%
  • Pictures: 50%
The game is now playable and fully translated. I'm still rewriting some of it and there might still be some mistakes here and there, but the translation is good enough as it is for a full playthrough. Also, pictures are getting done by LunaireticOmega and books are still not showing in english despite being translated.
You might encounter some crash when facing some random enemies (it's quite rare, though), so I advise fleeing when you're not sure!
Also, in some scenes the game will display an error message. You just need to click OK (sometimes several time) and you'll go back to the game with no side effects at all. This is a known bug that will be dealt with soon enough.

You'll find the link to the latest patch below:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/371dvwtdumzlit2/Arcturus 20-01-2018.7z

I hope you'll enjoy playing this piece of Korean history as much as I do translating it!

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I wonder if you happen to read this postmortem by director Hakkyu Kim, originally written in 2001: [Korean] http://ko.projectarcturus.wikia.com/wiki/악튜러스_제작_후기

(I'm not sure if you read Korean, if you want to use Google Translate I recommend to use Korean to Japanese than Korean to English, for sanity's sake. Or this machine translator made by Korean company: http://sitetrans.naver.net/?rel=htt...kia.com/wiki/악튜러스_제작_후기&srcLang=ko&tarLang=ja)

I don't remember many details since it was long time ago, but I think Arcturus was a pretty charming JRPG. You can see young Hakkyu Kim's somewhat juvenile and somewhat metal world, with all kinds of references to religious, anime, and other games.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I wonder if you happen to read this postmortem by director Hakkyu Kim, originally written in 2001: [Korean] http://ko.projectarcturus.wikia.com/wiki/악튜러스_제작_후기

(I'm not sure if you read Korean, if you want to use Google Translate I recommend to use Korean to Japanese than Korean to English, for sanity's sake. Or this machine translator made by Korean company: http://sitetrans.naver.net/?rel=htt...kia.com/wiki/악튜러스_제작_후기&srcLang=ko&tarLang=ja)

I don't remember many details since it was long time ago, but I think Arcturus was a pretty charming JRPG. You can see young Hakkyu Kim's somewhat juvenile and somewhat metal world, with all kinds of references to religious, anime, and other games.
Yeah, I read a lot of korean wiki pages when I was looking for info on the game (like explanations for some of the most obscure in-game references that may already have been lost in the jap translation), but not this interview. Very interesting indeed. The game starts charming, with a friendly atmosphere and all, but it does go into more disturbing matters as time passes.

Test version release when? ;)
Well, if you really want one, as soon as tomorrow :salute:

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
Helly, you are one impressive guy. Always with another cool project to delight us.

Wait did that guy cut the girl's hair with a whip?

And one of the characters is a young Dracula from Castlevania.

Awesome.

I was wondering why Gravity and the Ragnarok Online IP seems almost immortal. I'm starting to see why.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The game starts charming, with a friendly atmosphere and all, but it does go into more disturbing matters as time passes.

Yeah, IIRC it really starts with a quest...

that you have to save abducted children from a cult, and you can't. When I played that part I thought WTF, and oh, it was just the start of the ride.

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, the art is excellent.'

I wish the in-game art/character portraits were a little more similar to those two.

Last edited:

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Well, damn. The tool I used to modify the scripts ingame caused some problems in some script files. Now I have to find the problem, find a solution for each case, and redo each of them.
Curse you, program made in the 2000s I downloaded for free from a shady chinese site and that I expected to see working everywhere :argh:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is the oddest art style.

Let's test it! Never heard of this before and I like 'deceptive' stories like Made in Abyss so this should be something I like.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Good news, bros.
I've been testing both of the game's Prologues, and they almost work perfectly!
There's still a lot of mistakes here and there, and basically everything line-related yet to do, but it's looking pretty good anyway.
Expect a preliminary release this week!

Jinn

Arcane
Good news, bros.
I've been testing both of the game's Prologues, and they almost work perfectly!
There's still a lot of mistakes here and there, and basically everything line-related yet to do, but it's looking pretty good anyway.
Expect a preliminary release this week!

Very excited for this, Helly. Thank you once again for putting the time and effort into bringing us English speakers this unique game.

This week will be a perfect time for me to play too!

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
By the way, you can go ahead and download & install the jap DVD version of the game you'll need for the patch. It's available on the Iso Zone.
I know about the 'no linking to piracy' policy of the 'dex, but I hope a rare korean game from 2000 might get exempted :M

Jinn

Arcane
By the way, you can go ahead and download & install the jap DVD version of the game you'll need for the patch. It's available on the Iso Zone.
I know about the 'no linking to piracy' policy of the 'dex, but I hope a rare korean game from 2000 might get exempted :M

Installed and ready to rock!

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Still one final micro issue that'll be solved tomorrow evening and I'm giving the prologue a green light!
As long as you don't mind borked english and placeholder graphics, you just might enjoy yourselves :shittydog:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom