Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cross

Arcane
Petrification is in the game already.
If it's anything like PoE 1, it's not really petrification, it's just a paralysis effect.

I want to reiterate that the injury costing you 25% of your health cap is miles better than having to watch when green color turns to yellow color and then click the rest button to make it green again.
Miles better? It's the same system, except that it's even more forgiving in Deadfire since your health cap can only go down if you get knocked out. Combined with the removal of per-rest abilities, this means that if you can prevent your characters from getting knocked out you can easily play through the entire game without ever having a reason to rest (and with healing abilities being per-encounter rather than per-rest, preventing your characters from being knocked out is even easier).

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
All the general feats were useless fluff. giving Durance 5 extra reflex or your squishy 5 more deflection doesn't do shit.

Ulfhednar

Savant
All the general feats were useless fluff. giving Durance 5 extra reflex or your squishy 5 more deflection doesn't do shit.
They were meant to be cumulative with other build choices - the 5 deflection on your squishy isn't enough for him to hold the line, but give him a hatchet and small shield, then cast mirror image and you're good to go.

Sentinel

Arcane
They were meant to be cumulative with other build choices - the 5 deflection on your squishy isn't enough for him to hold the line, but give him a hatchet and small shield, then cast mirror image and you're good to go.
Or pick a class designed for tanking instead.

jungl

Augur
biggest way skyrocket squishy staying power is put on a plate besides spells and hp. Enemies going to hit regardless or whittle them down. Thats where the dr comes in.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, a lot of the general talents were shit nobody picked up, but a lot of them weren't and they were useful. Can someone complain about the general talents in D&D 3E?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've watched a decent amount of the beta to say that most of the criticism here, especially dialog related, is exaggerated as usual. I mean the locals use some local words occasionally but most of the time it makes sense in context, it's not just random words all the time.
Also personally I find the new char system better but that's all in theory since I don't actually play the game. Pretty hyped atm I'm trying to avoid watching more. I don't want to spoil too much of the game already

Shadenuat

Arcane
I would be ok even with linear AD&D progression and multiclassing if classes actually behave radically different in combat and change in meaningful ways during level ups + good encounters.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I would be ok even with linear AD&D progression and multiclassing if classes actually behave radically different in combat and change in meaningful ways during level ups + good encounters.

They have to differentiate them somehow, as they are ridiculously same-y, but the removal of general talents isn't one of those things. If they only did that then you won't see an iota of difference between the class design of P1 and 2.

Prime Junta

Yeah mages just aren't much fun anymore. It's just pew pew pew the same couple of spells until you're out of casts, then pew pew pew with the wand. Playing a level 6 wizard feels about as restricted as a level 1 in P1 (although in raw power they're similar) :(

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, about the spellcasting - I hypothesized it will feel extremely limited due to the meager amounts of spells you can choose each level. I think the grimoire change was intended to try to alleviate this.

frajaq

Erudite
question to the beta players: how weird does it feel the 5-man party limitation from 6-man ?

Starwars

Arcane
I haven't fooled around with any sort of party composition experimentation yet (which is probably when the size change will be the most noticeable) but just from a very quick, hands-on, "let's play this for a while without thinking about it too much", I can't say that I've even thought about it much.

I was not a fan at all of reducing the party size, and more testing is definitely needed, but yeah... just for my short testing runs so far it hasn't felt like a noticeable change at all. Still getting used to the game though.

The various other changes to combat are waaaay more noticeable. Unfortunately, mostly in a bad way.

Ulfhednar

Savant
I hate it, but I didn't want to stir up that argument - In the beta itself it's not very relevant because you can't spec your companions effectively (Mercs are expensive) so mostly you are building the watcher and maybe one other character from lvl 1 up. At least to start. It feels like the beginning of PoE before you get your roster filled.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In addition to some remarks made by Josh, during the stream, the welcome message that comes after character creation reinstated my suspicion that they will release later than Q1 2018. "We will be adding new features to the beta each month until the release of the game". This sounds like monthly builds that update the beta, and if they are going to do it monthly, I doubt it will be just for 4 months, until March. With PoE the beta started in September, If I remember right, and went on until the end of March, with one postponement of the release, which was initially to happen in December.

Fry

Arcane
Pasting a comment I made on the Obsidz beta forums:
Finally, a comment on the language -- certainly too late to change now, but anyway for what it's worth: I interact daily with people from literally all over the world, and nobody talks like that. The Russians don't go "Da, today is very nice day, harasho nyet?" and the French don't go "Oui mon ami, indeed the weather today is la belle." It's cool that you've got a conlang but there's way too much of "That kamahima has tipu my raumanuma, if I ever catch him he's going to be kaunahini!" It's grating, and the hypertext kind of underlines the "Look at how clever we are" aspect of it.

I dunno about Russians and Frenchies, but the Latin Americans I'm familiar with do that sort of code switching between English and Spanish routinely. The difference is, they do it when talking among themselves, not when talking to people who only speak English.

Using anglicisms while speaking your mother tongue isn't the same though, if that's what you meant.
I say cool and fuck but you won't hear me talking to a brit and go "well diantre what a beautiful petit cul ".

That's not what i mean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code-switching

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The first thing I want is a mod which will hide the number after the decimal point on all durations shown in tooltips and item descriptions. Or better yet, round all values to a whole second.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom