Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"That sounds like exactly who we're looking for. If my companions would have it, I would be grateful if you could lead us to this Duke Mallowheart."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Moggle smiles his disconcerting wide-mouthed, and toothsome smile, "Certainly! Finding Duke Mallowheart should be no matter at all . . . in fact I'd say, the hard part is not being found by him first . . ." Moggle chuckles a little nervously at the last bit. "Well then, what do you lot say? Help me get into Lankshorn after our reverie and I should be in and out of there faster than a bandersnatch twitches its nose."

"The sooner we find your friend Oona, the better. With what we have seen of this realm so far, this will not end well for her if we tarry."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"If you would, Cat-of-man-walk, why are you now unwelcome in Lankshorn, and why would you return, unless perforce?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Moggle demurs and shrugs his shoulder at Borric's enquiry, "Oh, just a misunderstanding . . . The uh . . . local Bailiff's daughter may or may not have given birth to the cutest twins you've ever seen: little cabled, swishy tails, bright yellow eyes, and beautiful dark blue fur . . . Shockingly, the Bailiff accused me of 'stealing from the garden.' 'Twasn't me I can assure you; that field had already been well-plowed when I found it. I suspect that rake Jaspy Grimalgrime might have some answers though? . . ." His voice sort of trails off. "Now then, let us finish our repast, perhaps catch forty winks and conclude my business in Lankshorn."

Moggle finishes the last of his roasted rat, takes a few more slugs of wine from his flask and tilts his cap over his eyes and reclines on a pillow that he has unpacked from his satchel.

Amon crawls into the corner of the house and throws out his bedroll. He then goes toward the door to observe outside. "I'll take first watch."

Siveon

Bot
Marcán raises a hand, "I'll be asleep right here. Consider me as second watch." He points at an arbitrary spot inside and takes out his bedroll.

nikolokolus

Arcane
For brevity's sake, if you don't want to call out watches, I can always randomly determine who is awake if/when something happens. If you do want a particular watch order, let me know and I'll jot down whatever you give me for future reference.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The quality of the light doesn't change; the sky is still a shifting kaleidoscope of purples, greens and silver, but a dense mist rises on the landscape around the cottage. Measuring the passage of time is difficult, but after what feels like about an hour and half or so, you rouse the next person to keep watch, and then the next, and the next.

At some point while Mab is looking out from the darkened confines of the ruined cottage, he peers out into the misty gloom over the wide meadow and the hairs on the back of his neck suddenly stand on end and goose flesh raises on his arms. Did a dark something just move in the mist? You strain to see, but you can't make out anything. The harder you concentrate, the more you start to think that you're imagining things. You shake your head and look away for a few moments, letting your guard down. With a rush the feeling of a presence returns. You squint into the gloom and see a swirling vortex of mist curling counterclockwise about 50 yards away. For the briefest moment you perceive a shape of impossible darkness and immensity and then as quick as you can blink it's gone. Mab spends several more minutes staring at the spot where the mist was disturbed, but everything now seems quiet and still. The rest of your watch passes and the sense of the presence fades making you wonder if it was all in your head. Mab relays his discovery to Borric, but Borric's watch passes without incident. Likewise, Rhenmyr's watch passes without any odd occurences or disturbances.

Finally at the tail end of Rhenmyr's vigil, Moggle awakes and stretches dramatically before rousting the rest of your troupe with a hearty yawn and greeting, "Say friends, let's get a move on. I can already smell Ysmae's pork pies." The anthropomorphic cat stuffs his pillow into his satchel, brushes his felt cap and rearranges its feather, plops it on his head before buckling his belt with poniard and knife and leans up against the ruined wall of the cottage waiting for you.

Siveon

Bot
"I'd be willing to eat whatever kind of pie right now. Maybe even c-" Marcán pauses. "Horse. I'd be willing to eat horse pie." He finishes getting ready.

Last edited:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Mab snickers at Marcàn's statement and then darkens momentarily. "Say, have any of you seen any strange mists?" He turns to the cat man, "Or is that sort of happening unstrange 'round these parts?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Moggle turns to Mab and tilts his head curiously, "What do mean by 'strange mists?' Tis common enough to those of us who dwell in the Brackenwold that we take for granted what must seem a bit strange to you, I've been to your Inworld once or twice, I recall how fast your world was; everything zipping around in the sky, the constant motion of decay and life. Quite exhilirating. I'm guessing that you noticed we don't have such things here, but I'm guessing you noticed the way that the very firmament seems to breathe in and breathe out at equal intervals -- The mist that rose while we held our reverie and perhaps the only reliable way have of marking the passage of time (I think that's what you mortals call it?) although it's really not the same thing here I suppose?" Moggle exits the tumbled down stone cottage with the shrine to An Cait Dubh and leaps up on to the plank road that bisects the marshy meadow and starts walking for Lankshorn.

You all walk for a couple of minutes and get close enough to begin making out the details of the village ahead: Perched on a gently rising mound that rises from the surrounding marsh, you see close-cramped, buildings of wildly different styles and construction -- some are thatched huts close to the ground, some are clapboard houses perched on tall stilts, and mixed in-between are dozens of yurts, tents, lean-tos, shanties and a even a crooked stone tower at the edge of town, topped with an irregularly built hut that looks like its about to slide off and crash into the ground below. Everything here looks dingy, muddy, and grim looking. The overall impression is one of squalor, misery and filth. numerous gangplanks, stairways and catwalks criss-cross the town at multiple levels, from the ground to as much as 30 feet in the air.

1b69614dcb23d27e73bd3f341cf4f681.jpg

You close the last hundred yards or so to come to the end of the causeway, that passes beneath a ramshackle wooden tower. About 20 yards in front of you, a couple of "fellows" seem to be guarding the gate. One is a hulking brute about 8 feet tall and half-again as wide. His broad pink-green face is covered in sores and warts and a pair of impressive white tusks jut from his lower lip. His huge paunch nearly hangs to his knees and he stands with a sort of squatting posture on tree-trunk legs. His hand is resting on a massive iron-shod club that looks like it was once a small tree. He's naked save for a battered and dingy breastplate that barely seems capable of containing his bulk, and a filthy breech-clout that was probably white once, but is now heavily soiled and dirty yellow. In stark contrast, the other "man" next to him is short, lean, and sly looking. He has a corselet of scales, covered with a shabby looking leather coat. Puffy green sleeves slashed with red, and yellow pantaloons round out his mismatched outfit. His face is sallow green, and all angles and points: an impossibly long nose that looks like a diseased green carrot, nearly droops to his chin, and lank, greasy black hair that hangs to his shoulders, frames his face.

59tGSK6.jpg
9YkTzlu.jpg

nikolokolus

Arcane
Moggle sweeps his cap off his head and chirps at the two guards, "Stand aside louts! Moggle Ratsbane returns and will brook no nonsense from you two! I come to give back what's due."

The two fellows glance at each other stupidly and shrug. The short, slim guard, inquires in a hissing, nasally voice, "You bringing Gaspard something for the larder? These bunch look hard-bitten and stringy, 'cept for the fatted one." He gestures nonchalantly toward Solon.

Moggle shakes his head, "Not at all you imbeciles. These fellows aren't Malbleat's feeble stock, they're fresh-faced and Inworld born and bred. Look at yon red-headed one; he bears the fiery blood of Daoine Sidhe in his veins!" (he points at Marcán)

The short, sly guard's eyes go wide, and he stammers, "I-i-impossible!?" He perceptibly tenses, clutching his spear and stares at Marcán warily.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Fast Talk Check: [1d100] = 97 vs 78

Just in case roll. Hopefully I didn't need it...

Marcán grins. "It's true, and you'll do well to mind your manners, sirs. Else I'd have to teach it to you. Let's go, Moggle."
If you know you're going to do something that requires a skill roll go ahead and roll it. In the case of Fast-Talk you only need to roll something if you're intentionally trying to mislead someone. It sounds to me like you're trying to intimidate and you probably mean what you say, in that case it's a Charisma roll (APPx5) and 97 is a failure.

Moggle chuckles nervously and grips his felt cap in his paws. The small man wth the impossibly long nose wrinkles it like he's just smelled curdled milk, and the large, fat guard squints dubiously at Marcán.

The small guard chirps at Moggle, "Where'd you find these hoomies Rat's Bung? If this one's Daoine Sidhe, then I'm Titania's soup taster." He walks forward and pokes Marcán in the chest, "Go on bub, let's see yer magic if ye is what he says ye are." He snarls contemptuously and laughs over his shoulder at his large companion. "Hey Mog. Whatdya say? Let's sort out these doe-eyed, moon calves and take 'em tae Auld Fragglehorn, I bet he'll pay a pretty pence for the fat one, some of the others might make good sport in the pit too."

The one called Mog snarls and bares his rotten yellow teeth and chokes up on his large club menacingly.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let me grab the runtling by the neck and intimidate with a strength check?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom