Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In the brutal realms of medieval post-apocalyptic Brazil, people should swear a lot

ArchAngel

Arcane
They're not talking lore. They're just sprinkling pseudo-Maori in their dialogue. "Pekehu! That karame stole the hikipu from the kamahamu by the ranga's humuhumumu." Instead of "Damn straight, that son-of-a-bitch stole the fruit from the hut by the chieftain's house."

It's really shame that they didn't incorporate the pieces of speech that people in international settings retain from their mother tongues: swear words. It cannot be that difficult, kurwa.
That would make the conversation too realistic and not be politically correct (bland) enough. We cannot have that in a game made by USA "artists".

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
They're not talking lore. They're just sprinkling pseudo-Maori in their dialogue. "Pekehu! That karame stole the hikipu from the kamahamu by the ranga's humuhumumu." Instead of "Damn straight, that son-of-a-bitch stole the fruit from the hut by the chieftain's house."

It's really shame that they didn't incorporate the pieces of speech that people in international settings retain from their mother tongues: swear words. It cannot be that difficult, kurwa.
That would make the conversation too realistic and not be politically correct (bland) enough. We cannot have that in a game made by USA "artists".

Funny but it's true though, isn't it? Those US hipsters and SJWs are so degenarated intellectually and clueless that they just aren't capable pf producing anything that even comes close to portraying how real people think, talk, behave.
These people are completely unable to detach themselves from their modern sensiblities and they don't know jack shit about the past.

In PoE 1, a notable exception was Zeit's writing on the pantheon of gods. Also Sawyer is well read in history and this was visible in some aspects of the setting and lore. On the other hands, you had stuff like the infamous "people protesting against inflated prices of prostitutes" quest. From what I gather, the people responsible for shit like this are now in charge of PoE2's writing.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane

In the dude's stream after the q&a, there was a word which said "a word for the penis" in its hyperlink, the npc called him a dick. So they do swear in their native tongue but I thought the criticism here was for too many native words.

Also the famous Iselmyr line: "Fye, you're itching for the kindling touch of your sister, ye coxfither"

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

Funny but it's true though, isn't it? Those US hipsters and SJWs are so degenarated intellectually and clueless that they just aren't capable pf producing anything that even comes close to portraying how real people think, talk, behave.
These people are completely unable to detach themselves from their modern sensiblities and they don't know jack shit about the past.

In PoE 1, a notable exception was Zeit's writing on the pantheon of gods. Also Sawyer is well read in history and this was visible in some aspects of the setting and lore. On the other hands, you had stuff like the infamous "people protesting against inflated prices of prostitutes" quest. From what I gather, the people responsible for shit like this are now in charge of PoE2's writing.
That is a problem of rich countries that have it good. People that grow up there and spend their life there don't have a clue how real people in their less rich fantasy or futuristic setting think or work.
On top of that the political correctness movement of the past years that turned into SJW movement of recent years makes it worse.
Even if they wanted they could not implement misogyny into conversations of 90% of males in those settings. It would be historically correct and correct in how people acted in the past in such situations but they are not allowed to do stuff like that. Or swearing, average people swear a lot in their casual conversations in cultures that are not led by SJW or Political Correctness movements.

Underrail had it much closer to how it would be with many NPCs just telling you to fuck off or mind your own business. But it also could not go all the way and hope to sell the game to Western market.

EDIT: Infinitron, you can citation needed on all my posts but I got no clue what you actually want. Are you a girl and expect me to read your mind like most girls expect?

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's Vailian swearing in PoE1 too, get off your high horse

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You found one guy swearing? Wow! You totally disapproved everything I said! :retarded:

Disproved what? That a high fantasy game isn't a Yugoslavian post-apocalyptic RPG full of edgy slavsquatters? :P Brilliant observation!

PoE probably has more profanity than the IE games on average. But I mean, be careful what you ask for. Edgy swearing in a Western fantasy setting? That already exists, it's called Game of Thrones and it's already widely imitated.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
People around me don't swear all the time, but that's because I don't surround myself with uneducated morons. Excessive swearing in games/movies/books is incredibly obnoxious and I immediately know the writer isn't trying at all.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You found one guy swearing? Wow! You totally disapproved everything I said! :retarded:

Disproved what? That a high fantasy game isn't a Yugoslavian post-apocalyptic RPG full of edgy slavsquatters? :P Brilliant observation!

PoE probably has more profanity than the IE games. But I mean, be careful what you ask for. Edgy swearing in a Western fantasy setting? That already exists, it's called Game of Thrones and it's already widely imitated.
You are really a tryhard atm. Dark ages were worse than any post apocalyptic setting. You don't see games representing people from those ages realistically. PoE is not dark ages but it is not that much better.

And I never said IE games are a champion of how this writing should be. It was also made by USA "artists".
EDIT: Fallout and PST were much closer to what I am talking about but not nearly there.

ArchAngel

Arcane
People around me don't swear all the time, but that's because I don't surround myself with uneducated morons. Excessive swearing in games/movies/books is incredibly obnoxious and I immediately know the writer isn't trying at all.
Do you live in a post Apo world or in a 17th or less century world?
Another retard...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Do you? Do you have written records describing how people talk in a post-apocalyptic world? Or even the 17th century? Games of Thrones doesn't count as an authentic source on these matters.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Do you? Do you have written records describing how people talk in a post-apocalyptic world? Or even the 17th century? Games of Thrones doesn't count as an authentic source on these matters.
No, I don't have links to scientific proof. But this is not a topic about science.
But I do have real life experience with average people in a less rich country. I also lived in a western country and seen how people act there. And by reading history and how life looked in the past, by seeing how life looks in Africa today, it is not hard to conclude most RPGs made in Western countries are a far cry away from realism.
Lets see if Daniel Vavra will dare to give us a more realistic version.

Delterius

Arcane
But I do have real life experience with average people in a less rich country.
Another retard...
If I stretch the truth a bit, this place is almost post apocalyptic sometimes...
I'm from Brazil. You're full of shit. Edgelords are the definition of rich 1st world kids who lack anything of interesting in their lives. Down here they are the ones with a death wish.

What the hell happened to 'an armed society is a polite society'?

ArchAngel

Arcane
But I do have real life experience with average people in a less rich country.
Another retard...
If I stretch the truth a bit, this place is almost post apocalyptic sometimes...
I'm from Brazil. You're full of shit. Edgelords are the definition of rich 1st world kids who lack anything of interesting in their lives. Down here they are the ones with a death wish.

What the hell happened to 'an armed society is a polite society'?
Oh I agree that slums in Brazil are worse. Probably a place to send all USA story writers for one year so they can get some real life experience on how people in poor dangerous areas live so they can then make us more realistic RPGs set outside of 1st world 21st century.

Delterius

Arcane
Oh I agree that slums in Brazil are worse. Probably a place to send all USA story writers for one year so they can get some real life experience on how people in poor dangerous areas live so they can then make us more realistic RPGs set outside of 1st world 21st century.
And from the looks of it, you too.

ArchAngel

Arcane
And you bro since you obviously have too much time and money with such free access to internet that lets you shitpost all day like the rest of us.

Delterius

Arcane
And you bro since you obviously have too much time and money with such free access to internet that lets you shitpost all day like the rest of us.
Here in the favela we pirate our internet and electricity. Also we are all unemployed. But one thing I know for sure. You're more full of shit than the swamps of Rio during rain season.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Here in the favela we pirate our internet and electricity. Also we are all unemployed. But one thing I know for sure. You're more full of shit than the swamps of Rio during rain season.
Pics or it didn't happen :P (with todays newspaper so we know you didn't just c/p something from the internet)

Mazisky

Magister
In the dude's stream after the q&a, there was a word which said "a word for the penis" in its hyperlink, the npc called him a dick. So they do swear in their native tongue but I thought the criticism here was for too many native words.
"
It wasn't calling the pc a dick, it was like a generic "damn!".
The streamer did not caught it

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
That is a problem of rich countries that have it good. People that grow up there and spend their life there don't have a clue how real people in their less rich fantasy or futuristic setting think or work.
On top of that the political correctness movement of the past years that turned into SJW movement of recent years makes it worse.
Even if they wanted they could not implement misogyny into conversations of 90% of males in those settings. It would be historically correct and correct in how people acted in the past in such situations but they are not allowed to do stuff like that. Or swearing, average people swear a lot in their casual conversations in cultures that are not led by SJW or Political Correctness movements.

Underrail had it much closer to how it would be with many NPCs just telling you to fuck off or mind your own business. But it also could not go all the way and hope to sell the game to Western market.

EDIT: Infinitron, you can citation needed on all my posts but I got no clue what you actually want. Are you a girl and expect me to read your mind like most girls expect?

You are such a clueless fucking retard with your fake tough guy attitude trying to validate your political leanings on topics you have no idea of. Half the garbage you speak is outright false, the other half is baseless assumptions.

ArchAngel

Arcane

You are such a clueless fucking retard with your fake tough guy attitude trying to validate your political leanings on topics you have no idea of. Half the garbage you speak is outright false, the other half is baseless assumptions.
Oh I see I have touched a sensitive point in some of the Codex western countries members.

How about instead of slinging shit you actually put arguments to support your shitposting. I at least put in some effort to try to explain why I think so.

EDIT: And I would love to hear these political leanings of mine. Please do tell me about me.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom