Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
DM, T0.5 and ZG were made as catch-up mechanics. AQ20, too. That's why they didn't really make sense when first released, but they did provide more casual content for the vast majority of people who couldn't get past the first few bosses in MC, let alone anything else. About warriors, rogues and mages - yeah, private servers have disproportionate amounts of these classes, but the warrior side has a benefit, as only warriors could be effective tanks. Priests are also a good class, though, and I think they are around the fifth most played one, after warlocks. I should check the statistics.

EDIT: Checked the statistics - warriors are the most played (20%) > rogue (14%) > mage (13.5%) > hunter (12%) > warlock (11%) > priest (10%) > shaman = druid = paladin (6,5 - 7%).

Parabalus

Arcane
DM, T0.5 and ZG were made as catch-up mechanics. AQ20, too. That's why they didn't really make sense when first released, but they did provide more casual content for the vast majority of people who couldn't get past the first few bosses in MC, let alone anything else. About warriors, rogues and mages - yeah, private servers have disproportionate amounts of these classes, but the warrior side has a benefit, as only warriors could be effective tanks. Priests are also a good class, though, and I think they are around the fifth most played one, after warlocks. I should check the statistics.

EDIT: Checked the statistics - warriors are the most played (20%) > rogue (14%) > mage (13.5%) > hunter (12%) > warlock (11%) > priest (10%) > shaman = druid = paladin (6,5 - 7%).

Yeah, they were catch up mechanics, would be nice to enjoy them as frontier content.
ZG and AQ20 were both annoying with 0-1 great drops per class even with 40 raid gear so you had to do them while swimming in thrash drops.

I got similar but slightly different, https://vanillaradar.com/elysium-stats/elysium/ @lvl 60 has mages leading. Not sure if that server isn't garbage tho.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Ah, I was looking at the entire 1-60 range for Kronos. Otherwise, yeah, mages , warriors and rogues have always been in the lead due to their popularity in PvP.

J1M

Arcane
Will this be the revival of WoW?
I am confident Blizzard will find a way to fuck this up.
I do not think it will be Blizzard per se, but rather players demanding more changes and updates. I could see people demanding changes for some classes (ret paladins for one) or demanding heirlooms.
Someone will ask for each possible thing. Blizzard still decides who gets what they asked for, and which requests are dismissed as a minority concern.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
While the guy is right, the overall harder difficulty also meant that PUGs were basically hell. The average WoW player was, and still is, a grade-A retard.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
While the guy is right, the overall harder difficulty also meant that PUGs were basically hell. The average WoW player was, and still is, a grade-A retard.

Vanilla WoW will probably not be played by 'average wow' player of the time, because they have their own dumbed down retail version.

Vanilla WoW is from 2004 and PC only, it's back from the time when last good games were being released... even though it's an mmo, it's a good mix between diablo 2 and elder scrolls exploration

Lacrymas

Arcane
No, they will play it, they just won't go raiding. Vanilla caters to high-end and dedicated players, not casuals, so casuals will farm for their mount, go to a few BGs and dungeons, then PUG a few bosses in MC half a year after the good guilds, and that's it. Just like in actual vanilla.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
There is a survey on the wow subreddits regarding vanilla content/changes, which a Blizzard Community Manager (Ornyx) took interest in. See https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...-mLd2NBlCnKeIASA8mTrRwjJQ5usDw/viewform?pli=1

The questions seemed decent to start....but then the last few questions got weird (flying mounts, dungeon finder, etc.). Nonetheless, it does have 8,500 respondents as of my posts. See the following link for the results: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...NBlCnKeIASA8mTrRwjJQ5usDw/viewanalytics?pli=1

I don't like surveys but it raises some valid questions. I.e. in what way the content will be introduced.

Not going to play anyway, but I wonder how blizzard is going to fuck this one up though.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Raids should be staggered, other content depends on raid tuning. If they are going with 1.12 itemization and talents then the raids should be massively buffed to compensate, but dungeons like DM and Mara should be there from the start. If they are going with 1.01 talents and itemization (very unlikely) then Mara and DM should be staggered as well.

I'm looking at the answer statistics now and some of them are retarded. Classic expansions but keep the level cap at 60? Why? What about the new spells? I loved Prayer of Mending, Vampiric Touch, Circle of Healing, Pain Suppression and Shadow Word: Death, so should they be added? If yes, what's the fascination with the number 60? It seems arbitrary, but that can be said about the majority of the answers. People don't want "vanilla", they want the mythologized version they have in their minds.

Sometimes the customers don't know what's best, especially in this sort of democratic poll, so Blizzard should be very wary of implementing whatever the player-base wants.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
So dungeon finder and x5 leveling rate confirmed. Also, a free mount at level 5.

If true I don't get it.

Lving in wow was not hard, and even with moderate playing I was able to get at least a level a day. It is not like classic EQ where you could take weeks to get a new level and it and other rough edges had to be chipped off to make Classic servers functional, especially given the average EQ players age and life time commitments.

If they're going to make leveling any faster they might as well make people spawn at 60 if they want to.

I have to say it's hard to fathom that ind of crap given my taste in games, but this easy... this isn't a game at all, it's an electronic baby rattle for teens and adults.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
So dungeon finder and x5 leveling rate confirmed. Also, a free mount at level 5.

Yup

Vanilla fans on suicide watch (not like playing WoW isn't slow suicide anyway)

Fundamental problem seems to be the approach because, if that is anything to go by at least, Blizzard thinks they have to entice current retail players to give vanilla a try instead of fostering two different communities. I still think people who expect "like private servers, except everything works as intended" experience will be disappointed.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Fundamental problem seems to be the approach because, if that is anything to go by at least, Blizzard thinks they have to entice current retail players to give vanilla a try instead of fostering two different communities. I still think people who expect "like private servers, except everything works as intended" experience will be disappointed.

I really don't give a fuck what happens but MAN trolling classic cucks is so much fun.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The number of players who played vanilla and play now is probably insignificant. Trying to entice retail players to play vanilla is retarded and a fundamental misunderstanding of their audience.

Parabalus

Arcane
Sometimes the customers don't know what's best, especially in this sort of democratic poll, so Blizzard should be very wary of implementing whatever the player-base wants.

The easiest way for them to fuck up is to listen to what the players want.

People are opposed to adding Maraudon or DM on release but want 10 man UBRS, 1/3 want to run to BG portals to q, 50% want class balance changes - oh boy :M.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
What Vanilla players think of themself

mQLI2Z5.gif

SerratedBiz

Arcane
They still made it into canon, regardless of the intent behind their introduction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom