Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline "It needs a deep story to become GoTY"

According to PS/Xbox fanboys, BoTW and Mario Odyssey dont deserve a GoTY because they dont have a "mature story" like Horizon Zero Dawn. Same thing was said for Divinity Original Sin 2, Persona 5, and Cuphead because they dont have a "deep story" for "matured adults".

We are nearing the day where Game Awards are treated as fucking Movie Awards where a "Deep" and "Mature" story automatically means "Best Game of All Time".

Cael

Arcane
According to PS/Xbox fanboys, BoTW and Mario Odyssey dont deserve a GoTY because they dont have a "mature story" like Horizon Zero Dawn. Same thing was said for Divinity Original Sin 2, Persona 5, and Cuphead because they dont have a "deep story" for "matured adults".

We are nearing the day where Game Awards are treated as fucking Movie Awards where a "Deep" and "Mature" story automatically means "Best Game of All Time".

Wrong reading of the word "mature" there, bud. What they mean is more T&A with a side of softcore a la Dragon Age: Origins.

Nathir

Liturgist
People need to stop focusing so much on story in games. It's not that important. Games used to have very basic story/writing. What they excelled in was visuals. Visuals and gameplay were what immersed you the most. Nowadays games seem to have become a dump for failed Hollywood wannabees, who would rather be doing (shitty) movies than games. Any such story focused, ''artsy'' game is then perceived as ''deep and mature'' automatically, by a large portion of people. People who probably never read a book.

Those games (excluding DOS:2 and arguably cuphead) have shite gameplay so what is your point?

That's your opinion.

spectre

Arcane
Me confuse, I thought GOTY means they've gotten enough sales from the DLC and can't be arsed to patch it anymore.

Vorark

Erudite
Lol, if this was indeed a pre-requisite, no game would make it. Go read a damn book if you want stories. Not to mention the expression "Game of The Year" reeks of gaming "journalism". Kill it with fire.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Analysing every single video game through its narrative approach is one of the worst trends of current times.

Those games (excluding DOS:2 and arguably cuphead) have shite gameplay so what is your point?
Even without having played it it's hard to believe a "classic" Mario game has shit gameplay.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Lol I knew the guy who created this video, is an user from other forum. He wasn’t very popular but that video made him succesful in Youtube. Those clickbait videos can make you of gold certainly.

Kitchen Utensil

It's actually the other way around. The more the emphasis is put on the importance of the story, the more the games tend to be shit.
Also, most "deep" stories aren't deep. Most supposedly "deep" stories just seem to be deep superficially, but on further investigation turn out to be just convoluted banal shit, regardless of medium.

I wish more video game developers would focus on the strength of our medium: Interactivity and gameplay.

Beastro

Arcane
This is all stubborn tribalism.

If the games switched platforms I wouldn't be surprised seeing PS/Xbox fans declaring that gameplay comes first for a GOTY and so the story heavy Nintendo game doesn't qualify.

The game ultimately doesn't matter. What does is that PS/Xbox fans look down on Nintendo for being the kiddie console and so inferior to their more mature consoles in the same way Genesis fans derided SNES ones because their Mortal Kombat had BLOOD and uncensored finishing moves ignoring the strengths and weakness of both consoles (and that the Genesis was ultimately the weaker of the two even though it had strengths unmatched by the SNES in places).

Did Tetris need a good story?

If it ever gets turned into a movie in the spirit of that Emoji one, then it will.

A story, a story, not a good story.

a "mature story" like Horizon Zero Dawn

OMG, I thought this was typical Codex hyperbole and skipped watching this until now.

That is mod level bad voice acting, and at least most mod voice acting is made by people who sound like they're not teenagers.

Even more chuckles seeing the chick talking to the guy with rabies, lips moving but jaw wired shut.

jesus christ, makes oblivion dialog sound good

Now now, even that doesn't come close to the apathetic mumbling of the female Redguard voice actress.

"Hi there, welcome to my store. Please browse me wearzzzzzzzzzzzzzz *snore*"

Last edited:

illuknisaa

Cipher
You don't have a game if there is no gameplay.

You can't play the game if there are no graphics.

You can play a game without a story.

Falksi

Arcane

Where abouts are the PS/Xbox fanboys spouting such bollocks now? you got a link mate?

Grimlorn

Arcane
I'm surprised Zero Dawn Horizon was well received. I remember seeing that video on their dialogue. Looked like a Biowarian shit RPG. Just checked out some video on it, and it still looks bad. A setting with dino bots is cool, but being a character that uses a bow and arrow to take them out is stupid.

Breath of Wild actually looks fun to play and has cool mechanics, and if I were rich, I might buy a Switch to play it and Odyssey, but no way in Hell would I buy a PS4 to play Zero Dawn Horizon.

kalganoat

Savant
Sony fanboys are just butthurt cause there are so many good GOTY contenders this year and the only worthy entry from Sony first party is Horizon.

funkadelik

Arcane
I'm surprised Zero Dawn Horizon was well received. I remember seeing that video on their dialogue. Looked like a Biowarian shit RPG. Just checked out some video on it, and it still looks bad. A setting with dino bots is cool, but being a character that uses a bow and arrow to take them out is stupid.

Breath of Wild actually looks fun to play and has cool mechanics, and if I were rich, I might buy a Switch to play it and Odyssey, but no way in Hell would I buy a PS4 to play Zero Dawn Horizon.
If you have a good PC, you can play BotW in 4k.

Fun game, but not really classic Zelda.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom