Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

fobia

But that's only for the ones who pledged besides the codex fundraiser, right Infinitron?

Or should our pledges already show? I'm asking since I've got nothing in my Backer Portal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Welcome (you bunch of magnificent) gamers,

The Backer Beta is now live! On behalf of everyone here at Obsidian, I want to thank all of you for supporting our project on Fig or through our website. I also want to thank all of you for providing us feedback and helping us clean up the rough edges on this game we have been tirelessly working on. Thank you, truly.

The Backer Beta begins with Character Creation. Character Creation in the Backer Beta is unrestricted, allowing access to all races/classes/etc... You then will spawn into the Huana village of Tikawara with a party of level 6 Mercenaries (Fighter, Rogue, Priest, and Wizard.) From here you are free to explore the village or immediately embark on your ship and wander the seas. A quick warning that many of our ships systems are still under construction and are not in the first release of the Backer Beta.

Below are instructions to access the Backer Beta (Steam or GOG), content list, big system changes, features not in the backer beta, and links for what to do in the likely event of a bug. This is an early Alpha version of the game, but we wanted to get it into your hands as soon as possible so we can hear what you have to say.

Backer Beta Content:

• Full Character Creation (this includes multiclassing/subclassing)
  • Limited World Map
  • Character Power Levels 1 - 5
  • 4 premade mercenary companions
  • Fully customizable adventurers for purchase at the Inn
  • Steam or GOG versions
  • Only English is supported
Big System Changes From PoE 1 to 2:
  • Health/Endurance - Now just Health
  • When a character gets knocked down in a fight, you gain an injury which causes a lose of 25% of your maximum health until you rest (with food). After your 4th injury in a row without rest, your character will die.
  • All per rest abilities have changed to per encounter
  • Graze has been removed from normal attacks - Only specific attacks will have the ability to graze
  • Stealth has been updated - Enemies now have a front facing vision cone which detects players faster
  • Penetration/Armor - Penetration vs Armor now works in 'break points'
    • Pen < Arm = 30% Dam
    • Pen ≥ Arm = 100% Dam
    • Pen (More than double) Arm = 130% Dam
  • Unique Items - Are now completely unique from each other. They will rarely share any item mods
  • Class Resources - Each class is given a unique resource to use their abilities
  • Rest - No longer needs camping supplies, players will now use food items to recover from injuries
  • Trap detection - Players now detect traps with the stat Perception instead of the skill Mechanics
  • Skill Assist - All party members now add a portion of their skill bonus to checks made
  • Engagement is no longer on each character by default - Now it is only granted through abilities
  • Grimoires - Grant Wizards extra spell casts and Wizards can no longer learn spells from Grimoires
  • Noise - Each spell/attack/etc.. has a noise level attached to it
  • Bumping - While pathing near allies, character now step aside for their teammate to walk by
Features Not Included in the Backer Beta
Below is a list of features that have been announced but that we are still fine tuning.
  • Player Ship
    • Crew
    • Ship Combat
    • Ship Deck Scene
  • Random Encounters on the World Map
  • Custom Party AI
  • Voice Over
  • Retraining
  • Written Companions
  • Relationship tab in the character sheet
  • Crafting and Enchanting
  • Power levels 6 - 9
  • Finalized Audio
In the Event of a Bug:
  • First our 'How to Report an Issue!' thread is here (Forum Link) It lays out very simple instructions on what information we will need from you to resolve the bug
  • Next, check through our 'Known Major Issues' thread found here (Forum Link) to see if your issue is already known or not.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I might ...acquire the GOG beta version from the Seven Seas if I get the itch to try it before it's officially released, but I doubt it.

Prime Junta

I might ...acquire the GOG beta version from the Seven Seas if I get the itch to try it before it's officially released, but I doubt it.

Not much point. It's going to be rough. It only makes sense if you're interested in participating -- providing feedback and following how it changes as it's updated. You'll just spoil the real thing for yourself otherwise.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=550#updates

Update #42 - The Backer Beta is Live!
POSTED: 11/15/2017

Greetings, everyone. In this latest update we are very happy to announce that the Backer Beta is now live! If you pledged at a tier that included the Backer Beta, or purchased it as an add-on during the Fig campaign, you can get your key for either Steam or GOG in the Products Page of your Account Profile. Then head on over to our forums for instructions on how to get the beta set up. We know you're excited to play, so go ahead and get to it! It's okay. We'll continue on when you're installing the Backer Beta.

Installing? Great!

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Producer, Katrina Garsten, sat down with Design Director, Josh Sawyer, to ask him about the Backer Beta and what players can expect, so let's check out what they have for us!

Excited about the Backer Beta? So are we! We're looking forward to getting all of your feedback to help make Deadfire the premier RPG. If you didn't get the Backer Beta during the campaign, you are still able to add itto your existing pledge now!

But wait, there's more!
Today also marks the release of Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition. This complete collection of Pillars of Eternity comes with everything from the Royal Edition as well as both of the White March expansions. Not only that, but we're also releasing a new free DLC for Pillars of Eternity called the "Deadfire Pack" that will get you some new Deadfire inspired items! You can get the Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition now on Steam or GOG.

And one more thing...
The Coming Soon page for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is now live on Steamand GOG complete with a new trailer and new screenshots!

That's all for this update. We'll be back before the end of the year and take a look back on how far Deadfire has come since the launch of the campaign back in January (along with a few fun surprises). See you all then!

Be sure to join the conversation for this update on our forums. If you missed the last update, be sure to check it out!

Cross

Arcane
Kind of silly to have D&D-style rests in a game where health regenerates after every encounter and all abilities are per-encounter.

Jinn

Arcane
Sorry. I'm sure this information is somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Is the backer beta only available to the $45 tier? I backed it at $29 and don't seem to have any of the beta information in my "Products" tab on their backer portal.

Jinn

Arcane
Ah. Thanks for the quick response! I think I'll just wait until it's released then.

Elex

Arbiter
Big System Changes From PoE 1 to 2:
  • Health/Endurance - Now just Health
  • When a character gets knocked down in a fight, you gain an injury which causes a lose of 25% of your maximum health until you rest (with food). After your 4th injury in a row without rest, your character will die.
  • All per rest abilities have changed to per encounter
  • Graze has been removed from normal attacks - Only specific attacks will have the ability to graze
  • Stealth has been updated - Enemies now have a front facing vision cone which detects players faster
  • Penetration/Armor - Penetration vs Armor now works in 'break points'
    • Pen < Arm = 30% Dam
    • Pen ≥ Arm = 100% Dam
    • Pen (More than double) Arm = 130% Dam
  • Unique Items - Are now completely unique from each other. They will rarely share any item mods
  • Class Resources - Each class is given a unique resource to use their abilities
  • Rest - No longer needs camping supplies, players will now use food items to recover from injuries
  • Trap detection - Players now detect traps with the stat Perception instead of the skill Mechanics
  • Skill Assist - All party members now add a portion of their skill bonus to checks made
  • Engagement is no longer on each character by default - Now it is only granted through abilities
  • Grimoires - Grant Wizards extra spell casts and Wizards can no longer learn spells from Grimoires
  • Noise - Each spell/attack/etc.. has a noise level attached to it
  • Bumping - While pathing near allies, character now step aside for their teammate to walk by
Featur
umm all ability per encounter?
so caster will spam the best spell in all the fighs?

Prime Junta

First impressions -- this is pretty damn polished for a beta. Completely different from the utter clusterfuck that was the initial P1 beta. Wondering a bit if one sidequest is broken/incomplete though, they talk about a hut which is found on the map but I can't enter it.

Character creation is a bit overwhelming considering that you're jumping straight to level 6; I made a templar (paladin/priest) more or less by picking shit at random. Lots of stat/race/class/skill checks in dialogue, seems like I've got one or two "requirement not met" lines in every chat and one or two where I have met the requirement.

Nice QoL improvements over P1. Loading times feel... not that different from P1, except that interior maps don't pop up a loading screen, just a couple of seconds of darkness.

All diacritics, all the time, great if you love Josh's conlangs, a bit grating if you don't; hovering over the syllable soup shows a translation which helps but underlines the "look at how clever I am" thing a bit.

Looks very pretty, WM level environment art here.

Stealth is way, way better than P1 and the UI works really well with the vision cones and what have you.

Combat feels more or less like in P1, but dropping the health/endurance mechanic is a definite loss as now there's no strategic penalty to taking some damage as long as it's not enough to bring you down. Same thing with the always per-encounter spells; with no need to consider if a spell is worth spending I'm naturally spammy with them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
umm all ability per encounter?
so caster will spam the best spell in all the fighs?

Allegedly no, according to Josh, because casting is now much slower.

The people playing the beta can tell you how well that's worked out in practice.

Prime Junta

Allegedly no, according to Josh, because casting is now much slower.

Yeh casting is slower. One of the main consequences is that you can see an enemy start to cast which gives you a time window to clobber him so he'll lose the spell. Same applies to you ofc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom