Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline 250 shitty RPGs over 15 shitty years: 1996-2010

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Alas, the grandpas and the children may be the only ones who can answer this objectively. It’s just too hard to look at this stuff honestly if you came of age during the renaissance. I’d like to believe that the original Fallouts and PS:T are objectively the best RPGs ever made—I do believe it—but when you’re exposed to this stuff at 12-14 it leaves a lifelong impression. I wouldn’t have it any other way, it’s just that for the purposes of this poll that feels like grounds for recusal.

I want to say we peaked in September of 1997, then plateaued at roughly the same elevated level through 2000 or 2001 (the latter two years more by volume than by particularly standout titles), before going into a gradual period of decline that then accelerated rapidly after Troika shut down (in ‘05?). The problem is that in my timeline games seem to start getting worse right after I lost my virginity, which is either extremely fortuitous or it’s not a coincidence.

How many people on the codex think the best games came out AFTER they discovered romance, or just started getting jiggy with girls/boys/livestock? I tip my hat to anyone who answers yes.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
My treatment range is the greatest in RPG history; ban all grandpas who disagree. Get rid of the old and the new, drive them out; the people who defend and never devalue Fallout are the most monocled posters on the 'Dex. :obviously:

I guess the new are more tolerable than the old - who are on their last legs (can't wait until they're gone)
Nah, our bones are still strong.
Also
Grimoire > Deus Ex.
Deus Ex is not a pure RPG and just a hybrid RPG/FPS game.
:smug:
:troll:
At least it have writing :):terminate:

Zer0wing

Cipher
I thank all the BG2 fanboys of the Codex for voting. :lol:
Deus Ex
fanboy.png
reporting in. You're welcome.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
What a funny thread. Reminds me of when the Codex thought BG2 was a Diablo clone. Good thing we changed the Agenda over the years.
How is that good exactly ? And how do you measure good in this case ?

And the author of this thread has shit taste. Or doesn't know what he is talking about*. Years ~2005 - 2010 as the best years for PC RPG... sure. Just saying.

Edit: * Thinking about it, probably both.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
What a funny thread. Reminds me of when the Codex thought BG2 was a Diablo clone. Good thing we changed the Agenda over the years.

But before we measure good, we must discuss.

What is good?
Exactly my point. Since you first claimed that something is "good" you had to know already what good meant at that time otherwise what you said would be meaningless. I assume a smart person that you are wouldn't do that. So i repeat my original question and will be waiting for your answer. How is the Codex changing from dislike of rtwp to fapping to it good ?

Delterius

Arcane

What is good?
Exactly my point. Since you first claimed that something is good you need to know already what good means otherwise what you said would be meaningless. I assume a smart person that you are wouldn't do that. So i repeat my original question and will be waiting for your answer.
Well, I have been waiting for the answer to my question for longer than time itself so you better start working on it.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

What is good?
Exactly my point. Since you first claimed that something is good you need to know already what good means otherwise what you said would be meaningless. I assume a smart person that you are wouldn't do that. So i repeat my original question and will be waiting for your answer.
Well, I have been waiting for the answer to my question for longer than time itself so you better start working on it.
What question ? WTF ?

Delterius

Arcane

What is good?
What question ? WTF ?
What is good?

Serus

Arcane
Patron

What is good?
What question ? WTF ?
What is good?
Do you often use words that you don't understand ? Like, you know "good" that you first used here, not me.
So let me recapitulate: You just hear a word, have no idea what it means but you put it in your phrases anyway ? Fascinating. <insert Spock meme here>

Delterius

Arcane

What is good?
What question ? WTF ?
What is good?
Do you often use words that you don't understand ? Like, you know "good" that you first used here, not me.
So let me recapitulate: You just hear a word, have no idea what it means but you put it in your phrases anyway ? Fascinating. <insert Spock meme here>
Edit: wait a minute. Now I know you don't know anything about the Agenda.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

What is good?
What question ? WTF ?
What is good?
Now I know you don't know anything about the Agenda.
I just wanted to know what were (if any) arguments behind that shitpost. Since the answer is now obvious - keep shitposting and so will I. Happy shitposting to everyone !

Delterius

Arcane
Get a room and bake a Socrates croissant jesus
Scrap the "what is good" question !
I have a better one: What is "a Socrates croissant jesus" ?
:philosoraptor:
Delterius ?

You have asked the right baker.

A Socrates Croissant Jesus is a synthesis of leaf, puff and platonic pastries. It became one of the controlled techniques of the Directorate way back, during the Council of Lateran. It is distinguished from a normal Leaf/Post-socratic croissant by the use of sanctified butter for mechanical growth of the pastry.

Beastro

Arcane
Just noticed, no Silver on that list? Surely it deserves the nod.

Silver_Coverart.png

And despite being described as a "survival simulator", I'd jot down Deus as worthy too ??? Then again "complicated FPS" would probably be a more apt description. Haven't played it in years but don't remember any character progression.

f2udzqte38fgj9nyoyde.jpg

"Survival sim" that looks like that?

I'd be surprised if it wasn't made by the same guys that make Robinsons Requiem and Deus even if it wasn't done by Silmarils.

Zer0wing

Cipher
"Deus", to be honest, is more action-oriented and compared to Robinson's Requiem - a decline. And not even RPG.

Bonnie

Educated
You should do a best years of the actual best years now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom