Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I disagree. Reading was also the "core loop" in PST. Maybe not to the same extent, but the difference is not that big to make a sensible difference. But, as a PST fag, I was able to replay it several times without skipping much if any reading (it's just too fucking good), while in TTON in one playthrough I was already skipping heavily in the last third or so. And I can't imagine I'll ever bother replaying it.
And back to the combat. No, not more. Better. More only if it's also better.

It's not like PS:T was a great seller either, despite near-universal acclaim inside and outside the Codex.

Exactly. What he's saying is basically that if it wasn't Torment it would've sold better. Well, no shit. It's like trying to sell a book at a sports game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
My signed art print arrived today. A little steep at $1,000, considering the game itself was rather... special, but it's a very nice sci-fi piece that isn't clearly connected to any franchise. It's this one:

4e33c713b4.jpg

It's a big one. I'll have to take it to Michael's to get a custom frame done, but I have the perfect section of wall for it.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
My signed art print arrived today. A little steep at $1,000, considering the game itself was rather... special, but it's a very nice sci-fi piece that isn't clearly connected to any franchise. It's this one:

It's a big one. I'll have to take it to Michael's to get a custom frame done, but I have the perfect section of wall for it.

What will you do if someone recognises its provenance?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

From what game is this?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

From what game is this?
Realms of Arkania HD

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

From what game is this?
Realms of Arkania HD
I thought it is from MM game. At least they have a space ship.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I disagree. Reading was also the "core loop" in PST. Maybe not to the same extent, but the difference is not that big to make a sensible difference. But, as a PST fag, I was able to replay it several times without skipping much if any reading (it's just too fucking good), while in TTON in one playthrough I was already skipping heavily in the last third or so. And I can't imagine I'll ever bother replaying it.

It's not like PS:T was a great seller either, despite near-universal acclaim inside and outside the Codex.
Hasn't this been addressed multiple times as a complete myth, and that Planescape: Torment actually sold quite well by the expectations of the time? I distinctly recall it being refuted multiple times. Probably by Infinitron or Roguey or someone. I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly sure.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Hasn't this been addressed multiple times as a complete myth, and that Planescape: Torment actually sold quite well by the expectations of the time? I distinctly recall it being refuted multiple times. Probably by Infinitron or Roguey or someone. I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly sure.

The myth is that it totally bombed and sold almost nothing. But it didn't exactly sell "quite well" either. Even the first Fallout sold more. In the past this was thought to be not true - people thought Fallout sold fewer copies than PS:T. That was the real myth, which confused people into thinking PS:T must have actually sold decently. Source: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10604

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The actual Fargo quote in the article is:

How well did Planescape: Torment sell? The Codex believes it sold in the area of 400,000 copies.

Brian: 400,000 sounds about right. I remember Fallout 1 sold 600,000 units, and Planescape sold less than that. Baldur’s Gate 1 was our big seller.

400K after a couple of years, if you trust Fargo, which is pretty solid for a "niche" philosophical title. And then it continued to sell and gain popularity even in recent years, along with MCA "the legendary writer of Torment" being everywhere, the Numenera Kickstarter which made people go check it, and the Beamdog remaster. That's a far cry from the 142,993 ± 11,503 Steam Owners that SteamSpy reports for Numenera. GOG is peanuts close to Steam, so those are pretty abysmal numbers, even relative to the "niche" audience for Torment.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Games like Torment should be a prestige projects,not something that you made money off. Most people in the world are stupid and won't go for a wisdom build game. For every good piece of art,could acquire followers after a few generations.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's a far cry from the 142,993 ± 11,503 Steam Owners that SteamSpy reports for Numenera. GOG is peanuts close to Steam, so those are pretty abysmal numbers, even relative to the "niche" audience for Torment.
In that same article (or maybe a similar one) Fargo mentions that a lot of those copies were sold at a heavily discounted price. Additionally, PST's retail sales after five months were close to 146,000. :M

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Additionally, PST's retail sales after five months were close to 146,000.
It might well be. But the aim for a successful sequel is to bring back the audience you won with the first game not 5 years from release, but at release, and then gain some more. In that, Numenera failed. I don't see it having long legs either.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Additionally, PST's retail sales after five months were close to 146,000.
It might well be. But the aim for a successful sequel is to bring back the audience you won with the first game not 5 years from release, but at release, and then gain some more. In that, Numenera failed. I don't see it having long legs either.

How many of those 146,000 enjoyed it? A lot of people did not.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Doubt that numenera will be a success in a decade,let alone a rpg classic. Torment does have a magical writing that will respected and loved at least a few more decades.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Roguey
If it was because PST wasn't liked by many of those who bought it that Numenera didn't sell, then explain the game's reputation, MCA's for that matter, and the respect it had not only on the Codex but even in mainstream game sites. Also, explain the highly successful Kickstarter for Numenera, which had might I add a little more backers than Pillars of Eternity (74,405 vs 73,986). Yet, Pillars managed to grab its target audience and has 1,098,939 ± 31,857 owners on Steam (BG2EE has 668,025 ± 24,849 owners). It had more time to do it but it still has some legs, unlike Numenera.

If it was due to the niche fanbase rather than Numenera's faults that it failed, then explain the difference in reception between it and PST. Explain Fargo's transparent deception and admission that it didn't sell nearly as expected.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If it was because PST wasn't liked by many of those who bought it that Numenera didn't sell, then explain the game's reputation, MCA's for that matter, and the respect it had not only on the Codex but even in mainstream game sites.

The views of gaming journalists and forum posters don't reflect the views of the average consumer.

Also, explain the highly successful Kickstarter for Numenera, which had might I add a little more backers than Pillars of Eternity (74,405 vs 73,986). Yet, Pillars managed to grab its target audience and has 1,098,939 ± 31,857 owners on Steam (BG2EE has 668,025 ± 24,849 owners). It had more time to do it but it still has some legs, unlike Numenera.

Planescape Torment has a small, but very passionate group of fans. But that's it, they capped out early. Other RPG subgenres are supported by an army of more casual fans, casuals who are not interested in this kind of RPG.

Additionally, PST's retail sales after five months were close to 146,000. :M

Source plz.

I don't feel like digging through NMA's archives ever since they messed up the site, but Desslock once posted NPD figures, which measures North American retail sales, back in May 2000. Torment had 73,000. Doubling the figure more or less gives you the international total in most cases.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom