Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Not sure why some of you are still so eager to give Bethesda money.
Not enough Skyrim re-released for Codexians.

I was trying to find both No one lives forever games on GOG but they are not here. There’s no other way than piracy to get those games? :negative:

They're all in hell of copyright and right ownershit.
Either hunt on ebays or start sailing

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I was trying to find both No one lives forever games on GOG but they are not here. There’s no other way than piracy to get those games? :negative:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member

Endemic

Arcane
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...ell-no-one-lives-forever-so-lets-download-it/

Obviously this is a slippery slope, but sometimes publishers need a kick in the gonads to offer customers the great privilege of paying them.

Of course if you REALLY wanted to buy the game legally and aren't just looking for an excuse to pirate it like Johnny Walker there, there's always Amazon, eBay etc.

Indeed. In this case, there are Ebay listings selling the PS2 and PC versions for like 2 bucks.

Boleskine

Arcane
It begins.

GOG deleted my wish "Be optional till the end of days".

I'm sure most people here know which wish I mean. It had over 5500 votes and was one of the most active in the Galaxy wishlist. It demanded that Galaxy will stay optional, except for things like multiplayer, achievements etc, and that offline installers won't be neglected. All of that is absolutely coherent with GOGs own stance and promises.

So, how should I interpret this move?? Will Galaxy become mandatory soon? Or is it just a mistake?
Can a blue one comment on this please?

Edit: Waybackmachine link of wish from 2016: https://web.archive.org/web/20160505045753/https://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy/be_optional_till_the_end_of_days
(You have to copy and paste this link because it always redirects to the original site)

Wish content: "Be optional till the end of days
The GOG staff has stated it everywhere: that Galaxy will remain optional. I want to trust them.
Therefore this request is supposed to be a reminder for the promise they'd made. This also includes the requirement that non-galaxy features won't be neglected, be it the up-to-dateness of offline-installers and patches or other concerns regarding the website- and account-functionality. Besides, there should never be a game requiring the client or profiting substantially from it's features (except multiplayer, chat and achievements)."

Edit: It seems that my wish was combined with Release the gog galaxy client for Linux wish because the original url https://af.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy/be_optional_till_the_end_of_days?as=1649904300 now redirects to it.
This makes no sense since the wishes have absolutely nothing in common.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dev response:

Hey all! Thanks for bringing this up!
So let me clarify, we're not stepping back from GOG Galaxy being optional - the client is optional and will remain like that. The situation we have here, with the merge of both wishes is a bug. We're investigating what happened and will try to restore it to the previous state.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
This may be a silly reason but I enjoy seeing statistics for how long I have played a given game and being able to compare it to other games.

Another useful feature is the auto-patching.

spekkio

Arcane
I see no problem with Galaxy being mandatory in the future.
If that ever happens, I'll just grab last versions of offline instalers from my account on GoG or torrent sites and stop buying games on GoG.

:smug:

If they ever take the newshit audience (cheevos, social crap, AWESOME) over the majority of their current customers (DRM-free, unnecessery shit being ALWAYS optional), I'll just stop giving them my money.
I get that CD Projekt wants to compete with Steam, which is normal with GoG getting bigger, and that devs force them to become more Steam-like (they don't want to sell an "incomplete" (cheevo-free) product on GoG), but the way GoG decides to deal with it is crucial.

mwnn85

Savant
Why does anyone use Galaxy anyway?
I believe there's a handful of games whereby GOG have re-enabled (previously dead) multiplayer i.e.
https://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_battlefront_ii
https://af.gog.com/news/star_wars_battlefront_ii_now_supports_crossplay?as=1649904300
https://www.gog.com/game/aliens_versus_predator_classic_2000 (gave this away to test Galaxy)

Admittedly the world probably doesn't need yet another DRM client.
We've got STEAM, uPlay, BattleNet, Origin, Galaxy, Windows Store (?) - I think that's all the main ones.
I'd rather keep offline installers on my NAS drive.

What would be nice to see is multiplayer integration regardless of what platform you've bought a game on.
And a re-enabling of multiplayer on games where the servers have been shut down.
Pie in the sky of course.
Used to love playing H&D2 online.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I see no problem with Galaxy being mandatory in the future.
If that ever happens, I'll just grab last versions of offline instalers from my account on GoG or torrent sites and stop buying games on GoG.

:smug:

If they ever take the newshit audience (cheevos, social crap, AWESOME) over the majority of their current customers (DRM-free, unnecessery shit being ALWAYS optional), I'll just stop giving them my money.
I get that CD Projekt wants to compete with Steam, which is normal with GoG getting bigger, and that devs force them to become more Steam-like (they don't want to sell an "incomplete" (cheevo-free) product on GoG), but the way GoG decides to deal with it is crucial.
I believe all those steamlike features were made available on request by devs, actually.

spekkio

Arcane
anon said:
devs force them [gog] to become more Steam-like (they [devs] don't want to sell an "incomplete" (cheevo-free) product on GoG.
erykfag said:
I believe all those steamlike features were made available on request by devs, actually.
Either my engrish is shit, or some of your stats are p. low.

:hmmm:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
All that whining about Galaxy LOL. The steam client only has one problem for me, that it is locked to one player. I can't play the same game from my Steam account at the same time my brother plays it. THAT is the main adventage of GOG for me. We both download the game and can play it. If GOG keeps it that way, they can do whatever they want with the client.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
For some of us it's a matter of principle, not convenience. Having a self-contained offline installer that you can back up makes the game de facto "yours", while a client like steam is more similar to the "games as a service" idea.
Just an example why the client thing sucks: years ago, I bought a niche strategy game (2nd Manassas) at an online retailer. Was it direct2drive or something like that? I don't think they are around anymore, my copy of the game that I paid 20$ for is basically lost.

The only reason why this client thing is even remotely acceptable to you is because right now, Steam has a near monopoly. You get almost all your games from them and at least for now, it looks like they're going to be around for ever. This means you don't risk loosing access to your games and in practical terms there is not much difference to having an offline installer. However, for my Blizzard games I already need a different client, and if I were into modern popamole by Ubisoft, EA and the likes, my games collection would propably be distributed among 3-4 different clients. This is shit.

By the way, I don't think GOG is ever going to compromise on the No-DRM idea in a major way. Surely they must be aware that this is their only competetive advantage against Steam. Why the hell would people use GOG over Steam if not for the DRM angle? If GoG ever makes their client mandatory they are going down within months.

Last edited:
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The just released Helldorado with a launching 50% sale : https://af.gog.com/game/helldorado?as=1649904300.

aVrx5TF.jpg

Aj8Hg

Chido

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom