Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
http://www.gameinformer.com/themes/...al-raid-sets-in-battle-for-azeroth&GroupKeys=

"With sets and cosmetic appearances we're always trying new things. We're currently not planning on carrying forward traditional raid class sets," says Hazzikostas. "So we're going to have artwise, the gear will be more heavily themed from the place it comes. There's more customization we want to express through the new Azerite system. I think class sets have changed a lot over a years of World of Warcraft. Back in the day, these 8 piece sets you would put together over the course of 6 to 8 months raiding a zone, where now the smaller sets and so many more sources of gear, it's very common to get 2 or 4 pieces at the start of a tier and it actually kind of locks down those character slots, it limits your choices. It feels like more of a drawback than a strength at this point."

Don't mind dropping set bonuses at all, I'd rather they moved their function over to occasional class trinket drops or something, maybe have more than one per raid that you can choose between. I'd like class specific looks to stay though, really hope they don't end up with just 4 different looks per raid (plate, leather, mail and cloth).

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So they introduced scaled leveling and I have to say it's far more enjoyable now. I'm an altoholic and have like 20 max lvl chars but now leveling is much more fun. I love it :) You actually get to use your abilities and don't outlevel a zone if you run one dungeon.

Also dungeons got a bit more interesting either, with everyone actually having to follow their role. Before the patch you sometimes had dps queue as tanks and just run the dungeon in dps spec because it didn't matter.

Sykar

Arcane
So they introduced scaled leveling and I have to say it's far more enjoyable now. I'm an altoholic and have like 20 max lvl chars but now leveling is much more fun. I love it :) You actually get to use your abilities and don't outlevel a zone if you run one dungeon.

Also dungeons got a bit more interesting either, with everyone actually having to follow their role. Before the patch you sometimes had dps queue as tanks and just run the dungeon in dps spec because it didn't matter.

I was a mainaholic on my female UD frost mage for the odd 4-5 years I played and the only reason I played her was because I liked the casting animations the most on UD female. Then I burned out on WoW and never could get back into the game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I played this game in 2007 for a few months as a member of a forum-based guild, melted faces in PvP with my troll Spriest, then realized at level 67 that the rest of the game would be grinding rep and working for increasingly differently-colored armor bits, then throwing them in the trash and beginning to grind and work for the next set of differently-colored armor bits whenever the next expansion or dungeon or boss appeared.

Then in 2010, my sister and then-future brother-in-law convinced me to play because they were playing, so I did, but then their lives instantly got busier, so I basically ended up logging in a few times and watching some gay werewolves and shit run around everywhere. The biggest thing I noticed was that the cities were filled with people sitting on their bioluminescent flaming eldritch star-dragon mounts doing nothing but waiting for queues to pop.

WoW's star has faded considerably in the years since. At this point, I'd almost say that it's downright fucking obscure, whereas in its heyday it was a titan. What even is the game anymore? Do people still stand around in town waiting for queues to pop?

So many discussions on MMORPG forums years ago about what could or would be the WoW-killer, but that turned out not to be an MMORPG at all. Instead, it was a fucking fan mod of Blizzard's own Warcraft 3.

Imagine being Blizzard, and watching someone else reap those megabillions. They have Heroes of the Storm, but uh... literally who?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Blizzard make much more money from Overwatch and Hearthstone than they probably ever did with WoW, so they don't really care. They've been phoning it in with WoW for more than half a decade.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There is no citation that can be given because Blizzard refuse to publish any specific details about their revenue. They only boast the total revenue they've earned each year. What I do know, however, is that the profit they made from WoW when it was most popular (WotLK) is around 1.3 billion dollars a year. This is all I found on the matter. It's probably a lot less now that the population has shrunk so much, but it can't really be speculated because we neither have sub numbers nor how much money they make from microtransactions. Hearthstone's revenue for 2016 is 400 million dollars. Overwatch has made 1 billion dollars up to the first half of last year. You can bet that the expenses for running Overwatch and Hearthstone aren't nearly as much as WoW. I presume that they both make more profit for them than WoW nowadays. Sure, it's not as much as when WoW was most popular, but those days are gone.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I checked Blizzard's site, and sure enough, they're still charging $70 plus a monthly subscription for the full game. The free version is essentially a small demo. Are they letting it wither on the vine on purpose? That's not how you get kids into popamole these days.

Now they even have quite the cash shop. Times are a-changin' indeed.

hivemind

then realized at level 67 that the rest of the game would be grinding rep and working for increasingly differently-colored armor bits, then throwing them in the trash and beginning to grind and work for the next set of differently-colored armor bits whenever the next expansion or dungeon or boss appeared.
wrong
the rest of the game is playing arenas with your bro and eventually betraying him because he honestly was just a shit player and instead starting to play with another guy that you don't actually like that much but holy fuck he is the best priest you know and you really want that fucking title

never trust a semite

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
then realized at level 67 that the rest of the game would be grinding rep and working for increasingly differently-colored armor bits, then throwing them in the trash and beginning to grind and work for the next set of differently-colored armor bits whenever the next expansion or dungeon or boss appeared.
wrong
the rest of the game is playing arenas with your bro and eventually betraying him because he honestly was just a shit player and instead starting to play with another guy that you don't actually like that much but holy fuck he is the best priest you know and you really want that fucking title

never trust a semite

Then realizing that you just wasted the prime years of your life getting really good at an online kid's cartoon game when you could have instead developed a real skill.

hivemind

Then realizing that you just wasted the prime years of your life getting really good at an online kid's cartoon game when you could have instead developed a real skill.
im not a genetic dead end that doesn't already have a plenty of useful skill given to his crib by the fates

Revenant

I'm an altoholic and have like 20 max lvl chars but now leveling is much more fun. I love it :) You actually get to use your abilities
You mean mobs now take 3 hits to die instead of 1 like before? That's some quality improvement on gameplay indeed. I rolled an arms warrior just to check the new leveling and got to level 27 without risking dying even once, including the elite elementals in the Cataclysm portion of Ashenvale which are probably supposed to be an objective of a group quest or something. Gamers of 2018, easy to impress by requiring to push 3 buttons to progress, SMH

(also WoW is shit and if you play it I'll rip you off on the auction house and convert gold to real money to buy myself booze)

Sentinel

Arcane
Man I am hyped for BfA but I hope they unfuck professions. They're 100% fucking useless, aside from alchemy.

J1M

Arcane
Man I am hyped for BfA but I hope they unfuck professions. They're 100% fucking useless, aside from alchemy.
Pretty sure that internally they view primary professions as something on the "we wish this had been a single-expansion feature" to be delegated to junior designers at the end of development. They will never be as important as TBC or WotLK again.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Pretty sure that internally they view primary professions as something on the "we wish this had been a single-expansion feature" to be delegated to junior designers at the end of development. They will never be as important as TBC or WotLK again.

They haven't really been important since TBC tbh. Most professions got just bandaid fixes to keep them somehow relevant by offering statistic improvements but that had very little to do with actual purpose of a profession, just something akin to "Welp we don't know what to do so have this"

Only professions in WotLK that offered more than measly "Have this stat upgrade so you don't feel shafted" rewards were Alchemy, Enchanting and Inscription thanks to the trinket that even at considerably low ilevel competed up to ICC with it's value (despite being there from launch)

Rest were pretty much fucked and Engineering only ever really was just for convenience rather than value

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

They haven't really been important since TBC tbh. Most professions got just bandaid fixes to keep them somehow relevant by offering statistic improvements but that had very little to do with actual purpose of a profession, just something akin to "Welp we don't know what to do so have this"

Only professions in WotLK that offered more than measly "Have this stat upgrade so you don't feel shafted" rewards were Alchemy, Enchanting and Inscription thanks to the trinket that even at considerably low ilevel competed up to ICC with it's value (despite being there from launch)

Rest were pretty much fucked and Engineering only ever really was just for convenience rather than value

Beyond that, I really hope that since they go a lot with WC2 iconography with this expansion we could get a proper re-do of this soundtrack, it still gives me chills of nostalgia.

BBMorti

Arcane
I'm so hyped :oops:
latest

Generic-Giant-Spider

Every time I read the General Discussion forums on WoW's official site I want to hire a hitman to put me out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom