Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline 250 shitty RPGs over 15 shitty years: 1996-2010

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
IncendiaryDevice
Check first part of my list.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/list-of-the-must-play-games.55367
Decide that you want to play. Something closer to Fallout? Try Dark Sun. Something short and good blobber? EoB or AoD. And so on. Ask if you want to know more.

For blobber you start with Dungeon Master on Atari ST. Also, Dark Sun is as nothing compared to Fallout. He should play Wasteland instead (C=64 version). Also, Amiga has better versions of some RPGs; f.e, Pool of Radiance and Hired Guns. You can find core Amiga RPGs at the end of my Amiga write-up.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
IncendiaryDevice
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/list-of-the-must-play-games.55367
Decide that you want to play. Something closer to Fallout? Try Dark Sun. Something short and good blobber? EoB or AoD. And so on. Ask if you want to know more.

For blobber you start with Dungeon Master on Atari ST. Also, Dark Sun is as nothing compared to Fallout. He should play Wasteland instead (C=64 version). Also, Amiga has better versions some RPGs; f.e, Pool of Radiance and Hired Guns. You can find core Amiga RPGs at the end of my Amiga write-up.

Why are you advising me what to play when you don't even know what I want?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Home of the Underdogs reviews were usually very spot-on and informative.

Can't really trust that site. They get confused about what platform a game was released on and throw up tiny one-paragraph reviews for games they clearly know nothing about.

V_K

Arcane
Home of the Underdogs reviews were usually very spot-on and informative.

Can't really trust that site. They get confused about what platform a game was released on and throw up tiny one-paragraph reviews for games they clearly know nothing about.
I'm talking 10-15 years ago, when it was run by one Thai woman with unpronounceable name. She doesn't anymore. The versions of HotUD you have now are basically fan-built sites, so the quality dropped expectedly.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Zer0wing

Cipher
Completely unrelated, but it's fasicanting how many great titles in many genres, even not always interesting ones, were released in 2002. MoH:Allied Assault, Mafia, Morrowind (although I loathe the gameplay, rp system and find writing DANGEROUSLY familiar), Warcraft 3, NWN, Age of Mithology. Even consoles weren't bad. And then, next year if *poof*. Mediocrity after mediocrity. What happened for the actual fuck?

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Infinity Engine definitely lacks that kind of artistry; its sprites and anims being shitty
:notsureifserious:

To this day, I still consider ID as one of the most beautiful games ever, and that includes sprites.

anims-frostgiant-animated.gif
anims-reverendbrotherpoquelin-animated.gif
anims-firegiant2hammer-animated.gif

HERETIC !

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Comparatively shitty. Fallout has many more cycles per sprite and many more anim frames per cycle. Also, 180 frame death anims.

And yeah, I'm a heretic?

The beautiful town of Kuldahar acts as the main hub for most of the campaign. Our adventuring party will return here time and time again over its course in order to sell off loot and rest safely. As such, we will become intimately familiar with its layout and fond of its unique and artistic hub design. Not many IE areas made me sit back and just enjoy the painting before me. But the whole of Kuldahar - interiors and exteriors - are just gorgeous, and the artists deserve to be commended.

chapter%2Bone.jpg

arundel%2527s%2Bhouse.jpg

fmv.jpg

iwd%2Bportraits.jpg

Nah, I just know what good animation is. Visually, IWD strength = backdrops/paintings.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is strange how i find old pixel games.in high resolution if possible,far more beautiful than modern games. Ohhh fuck,people in the olden days had some talent. Now they can't even make the game run normally,let alone make it look good and original.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Comparatively shitty. Fallout has many more cycles per sprite and many more anim frames per cycle. Also, 180 frame death anims.

If you think Fallout sprites look better than Icewind Dale ones we definitely don't live on the same planet. :lol:

But then, beauty is in
qSGaoVl.jpg
of the
anims-beholder2-animated.gif

Cross

Arcane
If you think Fallout sprites look better than Icewind Dale ones we definitely don't live on the same planet. :lol:
But you're proving Lilura's point. The sprites you posted aren't very representative of Icewind Dale's sprite work overall, since they were designed by Black Isle from scratch. However, most sprites in Icewind Dale, those of the player/NPC characters and most enemies, were imported from Baldur's Gate and look much simpler. Take a look: http://mikesrpgcenter.com/icewind/bestiary.html.

Black Isle's sprite work was always a notch above Bioware's. It's why Planescape: Torment, with its modified Infinity Engine, has significantly better looking and better animated sprites than any other Infinity Engine game. And yes, Fallout's sprites are better than the Infinity Engine's.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Yeah, they're dishonest posts. He cites the bigger, more colorful sprites to get the tasteless scrubs on-side.

But even those have limited frames per cycle. For every char/monster, Fallout has way more cycles and way more frames per cycle.

Fallout sprites get blown up, vapourized, melted, dismembered, cut in half and beheaded. They actually crouch to pick things up and even climb ladders.

IE sprite anims are a joke compared to that.

Citizen

Yeah, they're dishonest posts. He cites the bigger, more colorful sprites to get the tasteless scrubs on-side.

But even those have limited frames per cycle. For every char/monster, Fallout has way more cycles and way more frames per cycle.

Fallout sprites get blown up, vapourized, melted, dismembered, cut in half and beheaded. They actually crouch to pick things up and even climb ladders.

IE sprite anims are a joke compared to that.

Yes, movement and animations looks much more lively and natural in fallout. But IWD still has the most beatiful art of all fantasy games I've played - portraits, backgrounds, even the GUI. Black Isle's artists really did a great job.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Well, I've paid enough respect to the art in my above-linked retrospective and in Part II of my Infinity Engine UI write-up. So yeah, guess you're just saying?

Last edited:

Citizen

Well, I've paid enough respect to the art in my above-linked retrospective and in Part II of my Infinity Engine UI write-up. So yeah, guess you're just saying?
No, just missed your post and somehow assumed that you're hating IWD for no reason. Good article, though.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I cannot take this seriously if ignores the glorious 1988-1993 period.

I thought everyone knew by now that 1992 is by far the best RPG year (Darklands, Ultima Underworld, Ultima 7, Realms of Arkania, Wizardry 7, Clouds of Xeen, among many others), followed by 1988. Ban anyone who disagrees.

IncendiaryDevice
It is interesting how in the beginning of the thread people were saying that BG is a casual shit,and in the end of the thread morrowind is a hardcore rpg :lol:.
There's no inconsistency there, Morrowind > BG.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I cannot take this seriously if ignores the glorious 1988-1993 period.

No skin off my back. I don't cover the entire history of RPGs on my blog; I'm just one person focusing on 1996-2010. Lots of "chroniclers" try to cover everything and end up just losing their shit. Most of my write-ups are for Infinity, Aurora and Electron engine content but I've also covered some Fallout, ToEE, Warband and Jagged Alliance 2; and I've got Arcanum, Fallout 2 and Vampire: Bloodlines write-ups in the pipeline. Finally, I've posted an Amiga write-up that proves I'm not ignorant of the past.

I though everyone knew by know that 1992 is by far the best RPG year (Darklands, Ultima Underworld, Ultima 7, Realms of Arkania, Wizardry 7, Clouds of Xeen, among many others), followed by 1988. Ban anyone who disagrees.

My treatment range is the greatest in RPG history; ban all grandpas who disagree. Get rid of the old and the new, drive them out; the people who defend and never devalue Fallout are the most monocled posters on the 'Dex. :obviously:

I guess the new are more tolerable than the old - who are on their last legs (can't wait until they're gone) - because they don't devalue Black Isle, Troika, Ion Storm and the best of Sir-Tech. Instead, they stand in awe of the RPG Renaissance (granted, without even beginning to understand it, they only hold it aloft in order to score coolpoints with their masters). :smug:

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
My treatment range is the greatest in RPG history; ban all grandpas who disagree. Get rid of the old and the new, drive them out; the people who defend and never devalue Fallout are the most monocled posters on the 'Dex. :obviously:

I guess the new are more tolerable than the old - who are on their last legs (can't wait until they're gone)
Nah, our bones are still strong.
Also
Grimoire > Deus Ex.
Deus Ex is not a pure RPG and just a hybrid RPG/FPS game.
:smug:
:troll:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Nah, our bones are still strong.

They think so. Until they trip, fall down the stairs and shatter both hips. Without money for reconstruction, where does that leave them?

Grimoire > Deus Ex.
Deus Ex is not a pure RPG and just a hybrid RPG/FPS game.

Demented comment, symptomatic of the addled elderly.

:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom