Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: Rome II New Expansions - Empire Divided + Rise of the Republic

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
ME4 was done by total amateurs. Be nice and list few other games as well, but common sense says if Rome II was done by different team than CA normal team, it would have severally less bugs and require much less patches.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What an amazing time period for Rome. Lots of changes in the army and in the political system.
A choice based tech tree would be awesome to represent ways of keeping the empire together. Try to restore the old style Principate empire , say fuck it and go for the more despotic Dominate, or maybe even try to bring back the old republic.
Too bad CA will probably just sell us a reskin mod. Still cool to be able to play as the Restitutor Orbis.

Fuck Aurelian and the horse he rode in on—I’m playing Postumus all the way.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/thrones-britannia-first-total-war-spinoff-first-details-releases-2018/

New smaller historical title will focus on Norman conquest of England. Not very enthusiastic about the time period / conflict in focus, but if the campaign map has the British Isles and France, I'd expect a good Hundred Years' War mod. Also worth considering that the engine is really bad for these kinds of smaller wars (cip; The Last Spartans campaign DLC) where the glorious taking of important cities will be frustrating siege battles with the retarded battle AI and siege system with campaign being a dance of trying to please the autistic campaign AI.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/thrones-britannia-first-total-war-spinoff-first-details-releases-2018/

New smaller historical title will focus on Norman conquest of England. Not very enthusiastic about the time period / conflict in focus, but if the campaign map has the British Isles and France, I'd expect a good Hundred Years' War mod. Also worth considering that the engine is really bad for these kinds of smaller wars (cip; The Last Spartans campaign DLC) where the glorious taking of important cities will be frustrating siege battles with the retarded battle AI and siege system with campaign being a dance of trying to please the autistic campaign AI.

Au contraire, mon frere! The TW Sagas spin-off will take place nearly 200 years before the Norman Conquest. It’s a much more detailed version of Viking Invasion. This is Alfred the great of Wessex vs the great heathen army (a period that’s way more exciting than the conquest). The only odd thing is that their start date comes after the Danes were repulsed from Wessex and the invasion peaked, but maybe they want to give players some time to kingdom build before the fighting starts. For anyone interested in this period, read Bernard Cornwell’s saxon series, or watch the high quality BBC adaption, The Last Kingdom.

It will just be Britain (maybe Denmark and Norway too, although I doubt it), but Britain is nearly the same size as Japan, so if they make the map similar in scale to Shogun 2 it should work just fine. This feels like a bigger version of the Napoleon DLC for Empire, or the rise and fall of the samurai campaigns for Shogun 2. Could be good.

Between the crisis of the third century DLC and the great heathen army game, I feel like CA has finally brought in some good historians. Maybe the games will disappoint, but at least they’re focused on interesting time periods.

EDIT: sieges should play out differently in the Viking game—no siege engines and the fortresses were built of mud and wood. Only two real cities in the whole of Britain during this period, York and London, and they were more like big market towns.

Last edited:

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

Au contraire, mon frere! The TW Sagas spin-off will take place nearly 200 years before the Norman Conquest. It’s a much more detailed version of Viking Invasion. This is Alfred the great of Wessex vs the great heathen army (a period that’s way more exciting than the conquest). The only odd thing is that their start date comes after the Danes were repulsed from Wessex and the invasion peaked, but maybe they want to give players some time to kingdom build before the fighting starts. For anyone interested in this period, read Bernard Cornwell’s saxon series, or watch the high quality BBC adaption, The Last Kingdom.

It will just be Britain (maybe Denmark and Norway too, although I doubt it), but Britain is nearly the same size as Japan, so if they make the map similar in scale to Shogun 2 it should work just fine. This feels like a bigger version of the Napoleon DLC for Empire, or the rise and fall of the samurai campaigns for Shogun 2. Could be good.

Between the crisis of the third century DLC and the great heathen army game, I feel like CA has finally brought in some good historians. Maybe the games will disappoint, but at least they’re focused on interesting time periods.

EDIT: sieges should play out differently in the Viking game—no siege engines and the fortresses were built of mud and wood. Only two real cities in the whole of Britain during this period, York and London, and they were more like big market towns.
My mistake then. What is this lesser known conflict called? And does it mean there will be no William the Conqueror and hence no France on the campaign map?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Definitely no William the conqueror or France.

The period in question is the major Danish/Viking invasion of the late 9th century. You also might call it the birth of England.

The saxons called the invaders the great heathen army (which was led by the sons of Ragnar Lothbrok from Vikings on the history channel). These Danes quickly conquer nearly all of the Saxon kingdoms in Britain: Northumbria, East Anglia, Mercia, leaving only Wessex in the south independent. Then they almost conquer Wessex, but Alfred the great beats them and Wessex spends the next few generations pushing them back and uniting everyone who speaks English into one country.

Athos

Arcane
So the next big title will be probably Medieval 3 and this spin off is a proof of concept to see the reactions of the player to the new features.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I'm so fucking sick of CA and their shit gimmicky games.

Yeah, I get it, it's cool for about 5 minutes to see giant armies fighting. Once you get sick of that, there's nothing else to these games.

They've basically reskinned the same damn game 20 times now but every time they release a new reskin all the fucking normies come out and are like "WOAH DUDE LOOK MAN THE GRAPHICS WOW ITS LIKE WATCHING A BIG ARMY SWORD FIGHT ANOTHER BIG ARMY WOWOWOWOWOWOOOWOOOWOWOW BUY NOW $70 + $200 DLC"

Go jerk off to game of thrones you fucking mongs

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Definitely no William the conqueror or France.

The period in question is the major Danish/Viking invasion of the late 9th century. You also might call it the birth of England.

The saxons called the invaders the great heathen army (which was led by the sons of Ragnar Lothbrok from Vikings on the history channel). These Danes quickly conquer nearly all of the Saxon kingdoms in Britain: Northumbria, East Anglia, Mercia, leaving only Wessex in the south independent. Then they almost conquer Wessex, but Alfred the great beats them and Wessex spends the next few generations pushing them back and uniting everyone who speaks English into one country.
Sounds more interesting than Norman conquest for sure. Also looks like they were intelligent and chose a conflict of attrition rather than one that hinged on aspects like diplomacy and city sieges / battles, which their engine and competence disables them from doing well.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

Yeah, I get it, it's cool for about 5 minutes to see giant armies fighting. Once you get sick of that, there's nothing else to these games.

They've basically reskinned the same damn game 20 times now but every time they release a new reskin all the fucking normies come out and are like "WOAH DUDE LOOK MAN THE GRAPHICS WOW ITS LIKE WATCHING A BIG ARMY SWORD FIGHT ANOTHER BIG ARMY WOWOWOWOWOWOOOWOOOWOWOW BUY NOW $70 + $200 DLC"

You seem to forget that TW has almost infinite open-endedness and create-your-own-story potential. Its not seeing two armies fight, its actually being in control of one of those armies that most people find compelling. And the game sells well not in small part to the modding community, which is infinitely more talented than the developers themselves, who make much deeper and more interesting games from the often uninspired vanilla ones.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
You seem to forget that TW has almost infinite open-endedness and create-your-own-story potential. Its not seeing two armies fight, its actually being in control of one of those armies that most people find compelling. And the game sells well not in small part to the modding community, which is infinitely more talented than the developers themselves, who make much deeper and more interesting games from the often uninspired vanilla ones.

You say RTwP is compelling?

L
O
L

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

L
O
L
What the fuck is that?

Beastro

Arcane

It does and is always fatally undermined by it's bugs, poor implementation and terrible AI far more so than Paradox games.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Yeah, but Paradox games are also much much deeper, but don't have real time battles. I'd even say a TW campaign map alone (ie, without the battles) is objectively inferior to any Paradox game of the same time period. That's what worries me about TW these days focusing more and more on campaign and seemingly avoiding battlemap innovations. Other than higher resolution textures and models, battlemap stuff is unchanged or worse from Rome 1 to Rome 2, Med 1 to Med 2, etc.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

L
O
L
What the fuck is that?

REAL TIME W/ PAUSE

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

L
O
L
What the fuck is that?

REAL TIME W/ PAUSE
Yeah I do. And you don't even have to use it if you don't want to / want more of a challenge.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Unforeseen consequence of this update; it broke all the mods that were mitigating the vanilla game.

Tigranes

Arcane
I think the new strategy to focus on specific conflicts in smaller scope is a great one, if only I had faith that CA can make good games anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom