Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Latro

Arcane
how does someone with football sized biceps get bullied so much?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doesn't mean much, one company I worked for had three owners, two of them had 90% of the ownership, the third didn't put up much of a fight, even when one of the owners with the bigger stake was doing retarded things that hurt the company

It means everything! Even if you don’t have a controlling interest and you’re constantly outvoted by your partners, owning equity in an enterprise is very different from wage labor. When you have a real chunk of equity (which MCA surely did—I would be shocked if he owned less than 5%), you’re working for yourself. Maybe your partners screw your over at the margins, but when you’re simply working for wages, you get exploited every day of the week. That’s doubly true in a creative industry where your employer owns your ideas. Really, though, being a capitalist is always better than being a worker, at least until the barricades go up and the masses feast on the blue blood of the one percent.

It wouldn’t shock me if MCA was getting ripped off on all his outsourced work for other developers after he became a human stretch goal, given that all the money went to Obsidian. But he could’ve renegotiated that contract with ease.

Based on everything he’s said, it sounds like Chris is the kind of guy who prefers to avoid conflict until he finally can’t take it anymore and then he flips out, burning all his bridges. I imagine most of his differences with Obsidian could’ve been ironed out if he’d just been straight with the other co-founders about his needs. If he told Feargus, “it’s Chris Parker’s wife or me,” does anyone doubt this woman would’ve gotten the boot?

It’s really too bad. I wish he had the attitude necessary to start his own studio, but nobody’s perfect.

Cael

Arcane
"ALSO - beware the manager that never puts anything in writing."
This. So this. I cannot, really CANNOT, emphasize this statement enough.

Even if there are witnesses to the conversation, do NOT believe that your ass is covered. You will be surprised at how people's memories can go missing at the most inconvenient of times.

Always write things down in an email and shove it up the manager's ass:
"Hi, XYZ.
This is just to confirm the instructions/decision/direction tendered in the meeting just now. You want me to do A, B and C with regards to the situation with Client D.
Please confirm that this is the case and I will get on it right away.
Best regards, JKL."

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I tell that younger colleagues all the time, but most of them want to learn it the hard way

Cael

Arcane
I tell that younger colleagues all the time, but most of them want to learn it the hard way
Trust is the first thing abused by incompetent managers. Then, comes the defamation and career destruction.

Having seen the damage ONE guy out of a division of 80+ can do just because he happens to be the boss... It is staggering.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Need to point out again that Chris WAS management, just lower on the food chain than Feargus or Parker.

That said, if he didn’t sign an NDA because he hates these guys and wants to be able to stick the knife in, when is he going to finally spill the details? Today’s tweets are the most explicit we’ve gotten right? It must have been really bad if he’s still this pissed off.

I want to know how and why they tried to withhold his compensation (or maybe it had to do with his ownership interest).

Prime Junta

I want to know how and why they tried to withhold his compensation (or maybe it had to do with his ownership interest).

/init baseless speculation

Could be the original Obsidian shareholders' agreement had some nasty clauses in it that everybody signed without thinking twice, e.g. that if a shareholder leaves the company he can be forced to sell his shares to the remaining ones at some shitty price. SHAs normally have that kind of clause but it's usually set to expire in three years or so.

Since Obsidz isn't publicly listed, it's pretty hard to arrive at a "fair" price for shares in it anyway so in that kind of situation butthurt is just about guaranteed however things play out.

/end baseless speculation

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I really enjoy Chris's work and I have a lot of respect for him, but he talks too much. Instead of writing a text where he exposes the whole story, he throws little chunks of resentment at every turn. This is questionable and at least unprofessional.

Come on, Chris, tell all you have to say and get it over with.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In lighter news, today I learned Avellone designed the needler and solar scorcher in Fallout 2. I liked the needler, it was one of the few weapons where AP ammo actually worked. :)

Cael

Arcane
In lighter news, today I learned Avellone designed the needler and solar scorcher in Fallout 2. I liked the needler, it was one of the few weapons where AP ammo actually worked. :)
It is also one of the best non-energy weapons you can use properly if you had Str < 5.

Cael

Arcane
I don't understand really, wasn't he a fucking owner? He shouldn't have let people below him ran all over him in the first place.
He was A owner, not THE owner. The ones who ran him over was not below him, I don't think, or they have people who were not below him in their back pockets.

Fair warning to youngsters out there: It is frequently not the managers whom you have to look out for, but their cronies.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't understand really, wasn't he a fucking owner? He shouldn't have let people below him ran all over him in the first place.
He was A owner, not THE owner. The ones who ran him over was not below him, I don't think, or they have people who were not below him in their back pockets.

Fair warning to youngsters out there: It is frequently not the managers whom you have to look out for, but their cronies.
And HR are a bunch of ineffectual idiots.
No wonder most financial companies don't even take them seriously.

Fairfax

Arcane
More stuff:

I've chosen never to sign NDAs like this b/c the terms of silence aren’t (ever) worth it. (1/2)
This suggests he wasn't talking about his own NDAs.

I really enjoy Chris's work and I have a lot of respect for him, but he talks too much. Instead of writing a text where he exposes the whole story, he throws little chunks of resentment at every turn. This is questionable and at least unprofessional.

How is it unprofessional? He was giving advice to people in the industry, particularly newcomers.

Neanderthal

Arcane

Might well have been inspired by Jerry Cornelius' signature weapon, or it could be coincidence as design suits Myron to a t.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

How is it unprofessional? He was giving advice to people in the industry, particularly newcomers.

He can give as much advice as he wants, that's not the problem. The problem is to drop phrases such as "I worked with the HR woman, who was the owner's wife, and she is a horrible person."

This is just gossip and resentment thrown in the wind.

He knows that we all know who this woman is. And that, besides gossip, is totally unprofessional.

Sentinel

Arcane
jesus Obsidian sounds like a disgusting place to work at. Avellone makes it sound like it's run by an inbred circle.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If I had to guess:

How she treated and discussed employees in the big layoffs in 2012 (she became HR director in 2011) and probably before/after as well.

That's only part of the elephant. The guy said that he couldn't even attend company events because she would be there. What did she do/say at these things? Surely other Obsidian employees know and can leak. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom