Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Paul_cz

Arcane
Nearly all those games are worse than all the Souls games
Wrong, that is nonsense. However, as Somberlain beautifully said, you have a right to that opinion. But for me glorified hack and slash will never match games with much broader scope of interaction and player agency.

Perkel

Arcane
You are trying to argue that Mario Kart is better than IRacing

While they do come under RPG therm they are really far from each other, so much that comparison between them doesn't really make any sense.

sullynathan

Arcane
Nearly all those games are worse than all the Souls games
Wrong, that is nonsense. However, as Somberlain beautifully said, you have a right to that opinion. But for me glorified hack and slash will never match games with much broader scope of interaction and player agency.
I used to think like you and then I actually played these games and find that doing something simple well is far better than doing many things poorly or mediocre. Take Devil May Cry 3 for example. It's a fairly simple hack and slash game yet it is still infinitely better than the majority of the games you listed. It's not a broken mess with only one good aspect nor am I giving brownie points for rpgs because they're rpgs especially when half these games are unplayable

Also, Elex sucks, not sure how many times PB can remake Gothic and get away with it.

Paul_cz

Arcane

While they do come under RPG therm they are really far from each other, so much that comparison between them doesn't really make any sense.
It's not that I am comparing them - I get that hack and slash is a different genre from New Vegas - it's that I find them terribly overhyped considering their tiny focus and lack of scope and ambition. I read so many BLOODBORNE GAME OF GENERATION posts and I gotta roll my eyes everytime.

I used to think like you and then I actually played these games and find that doing something simple well is far better than doing many things poorly or mediocre. Take Devil May Cry 3 for example. It's a fairly simple hack and slash game yet it is still infinitely better than the majority of the games you listed. It's not a broken mess with only one good aspect nor am I giving brownie points for rpgs because they're rpgs especially when half these games are unplayable

Also, Elex sucks, not sure how many times PB can remake Gothic and get away with it.

Yes I already read your opinion once you don't have to write the exact same stupid thing again.

Kitchen Utensil

It's not that I am comparing them - I get that hack and slash is a different genre from New Vegas - it's that I find them terribly overhyped considering their tiny focus and lack of scope and ambition. I read so many BLOODBORNE GAME OF GENERATION posts and I gotta roll my eyes everytime.

Well, it's a better game than Witcher 3.

:roll:

Perkel

Arcane
In case of BB you fire up bell and you WILL connect
That's the only good thing about BB multiplayer
What's so bad about it?

Nothing really. It is just boring. Game has like 20 weapons total including DLC, most of armors don't do anything, i-frames on dodge are ridicolous that work in PvE but you can hardly hit someone in PVP with slow weapon.
So multiplayer usually is just random hits.

Paul_cz

Arcane

:roll: indeed

:roll: indeed
indeed it is. BB has better setting, art&level design, combat system, bosses, diverse weapons and sidequests that require from you a bit more than just follow red glowing signs. Its lovecraftian atmosphere is unrivaled and the only thing that TW3 has is "cinematic experience" with 12 hours of cutscenes and couple nicely written quests. Its not even close. BB is simply better "game" unless you are storyfag who "plays" games for its good writting.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Ah yes, The Witcher 3. I remember that game for it's amazing story.
mi9jKpf.jpg

Paul_cz

Arcane
indeed it is. BB has better setting, art&level design, combat system, bosses, diverse weapons and sidequests that require from you a bit more than just follow red glowing signs. Its lovecraftian atmosphere is unrivaled and the only thing that TW3 has is "cinematic experience" with 12 hours of cutscenes and couple nicely written quests. Its not even close. BB is simply better "game" unless you are storyfag who "plays" games for its good writting.

BB is a good hack and slash with interesting lore, yes. Glad you like it so much.

Gentle Player

Arcane
In BB/DS the developers don't bother with stuff that other companies would be crucified for lacking - any kind of lipsync, dynamic time of day, weather systems..all kinds of stuff.
I've thought about this myself, and to actually wish for these things in Souls games is to miss the point entirely. The locations in Souls games, and the games as a whole, are not meant to be some sort of attempt to simulate a living world, like in Ultima. Rather, each area has its own aesthetic expression, as if they were snatches of verse.

Can you imagine Anor Londo without the blazing sun, after the grey gloom of the Burg? Or New Londo without being shrouded in perpetual darkness? The journey to Drangleic castle wouldn't be the same if it weren't a gloomy dusk; likewise the Dragon Eyrie wouldn't work at all if it were dark. Bloodborne itself relies entirely on the journey towards night, and then the blood moon. Likewise, Dark Souls III relies on the strange contortions of the sun and the sky bleeding fire as the player progresses. Even the journey in King's Field II, where the player travels to the Eastern part of the island where no light ever shines, is vitally important. To implement some dynamic time of day system in these games, just because it is popular and used in other games, is to vandalise them. I would like to see From Software make such a game, there is obviously nothing intrinsically wrong with day/night and dynamic weather - it just would not work in their existing games and it would be crude and thoughtless to want to implement it in them.

So what else is there? Lip-sync? Who gives a toss? Elaborate dialogue systems? In my opinion those things are a blight on modern RPGs: an NPC vomits paragraph after paragraph of pretentious, juvenile writing, and the player responds by "role-playing" - or rather picking one out of a list of several meaningless and autistic one-liner responses. I tend to pick the least cringe-worthy option, which is often a struggle. Not every game would suit the Souls-style abstraction and cryptic remarks when it comes to NPC conversation, but I would rather that, or the old Ultima keyword system, than the cringe-worthy nonsense which modern games offer.

Essentially, it seems that you want bloat, features for the sake of features, and quantity over quality. I prefer a sharp, focused game with its own style; one where there is no need to add extraneous rubbish just because it's fashionable.

Silva

Arcane
Paul_cz , no problem with classical rpgs, but the Souls series is a class on how play to the medium strenghts. It is to videogames what the godfather is to movies, 100% signal and zero noise. I think this is it's biggest achievement.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Downloaded the game on the pro and played it again. It's still good mane

Better FPS on the PS4 pro?

You give this game Estus flask and 60 FPS, and would be up there with DS1 as candidate for best game in the series.

sullynathan

Arcane
Downloaded the game on the pro and played it again. It's still good mane

Better FPS on the PS4 pro?

You give this game Estus flask and 60 FPS, and would be up there with DS1 as candidate for best game in the series.
funnily enough I thought the fps was worse when I booted up the game but so far it's been consistent. I just found the game still very fun and replayable, that's one thing the souls games do very well.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Why don't they release this for PC? Seems like free money.
For the same reason that Demon's Souls won't be released on PC; Sony paid From Software for PS3 and PS4 exclusives.

Well Sony also co-developed and funded Demon's Souls and Bloodborne so it's not only a matter of them paying From to not release them on anything else. They were Sony's investments to make the consoles more appealing and it worked.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Normally I wouldn't give a shit about exclusives or consoles if it wasn't for this goddamn game. But I just can't justify paying what, 400 or 500 bucks for a single game (since I wouldn't play anything else on my PS4).

Neverthelss if the next From game is an exclusive again I'm pretty sure imma bite a bullet and buy a PS4.

hackncrazy

Savant
Normally I wouldn't give a shit about exclusives or consoles if it wasn't for this goddamn game. But I just can't justify paying what, 400 or 500 bucks for a single game (since I wouldn't play anything else on my PS4).

Neverthelss if the next From game is an exclusive again I'm pretty sure imma bite a bullet and buy a PS4.

I tried to say this to myself for a couple of months.

Ended up buying a PS4 because of it and is the best decision I've ever made. Bloodborne is worth every single penny that a 400 dollar game deserves.

I'm pretty sure that at this point I finished the game more than 100 times (using different weapons, different stances of different weapons, low level runs, speedruns, NG + etc) and I always come back to it. I don't think From Software will ever achieve the greatness they did on this game.

cruel

Cipher
Cvv, you can get a regular ps4 slim for $199, just wait for any promo. I spent $300 at the time, bought it only for Bloodborne, and no regrets

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom