Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

v1rus

Arcane
>he zones are beautiful, yes, but there is no way in hell you can differentiate between one part of Skellige from the other - there are no subzones or landmarks worth remembering, which, combined with vendor trash loot and quest compass, makes the gameworld itself an empty landmass you cruise across, with no inherent desire to explore it, since there is nothing to explore in the first place. Compare it to way smaller worlds of Gothic 1 and 2 - they are both open world games, but they chose their size carefully, intelligently planted shit around, tied the game world with quests, etc., thus I still know every god damn nook and cranny of 'em, by heart.

Can't agree at all. EVERY part of map is different. You can see from almost anywhere distinct landmarks. I know it well because from very start i switched off corner map along with POI. After 2-3 hours i was able to navigate without problems world just by looking at those "non existing landmarks". Which was one of my favorite parts about G1-2.

But since you claim you did every POI i gather you fucked yourself because you didn't switch them off along with corner map. IDK what CDPR thought when they choose to leave them on as default.

Cant say you arent right, really - thus, this only brings up the atrocity of PoIs, again.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
>he zones are beautiful, yes, but there is no way in hell you can differentiate between one part of Skellige from the other - there are no subzones or landmarks worth remembering, which, combined with vendor trash loot and quest compass, makes the gameworld itself an empty landmass you cruise across, with no inherent desire to explore it, since there is nothing to explore in the first place. Compare it to way smaller worlds of Gothic 1 and 2 - they are both open world games, but they chose their size carefully, intelligently planted shit around, tied the game world with quests, etc., thus I still know every god damn nook and cranny of 'em, by heart.

Can't agree at all. EVERY part of map is different. You can see from almost anywhere distinct landmarks. I know it well because from very start i switched off corner map along with POI. After 2-3 hours i was able to navigate without problems world just by looking at those "non existing landmarks". Which was one of my favorite parts about G1-2.

But since you claim you did every POI i gather you fucked yourself because you didn't switch them off along with corner map. IDK what CDPR thought when they choose to leave them on as default.
Yeah, whoever says the world lacks landmarks is most probably speeding from one marker to another and watching the minimap instead of the screen.

On my second playthrough, I deliberately turned off the minimap and just went about exploring Ard Skellig for about an hour. I did it because I felt that on my first playthrough I had rushed through Skellige and that was a pity because it had such a nice Scandinavian wilderness atmosphere. Once you turn off the minimap, pretty soon you learn to spot high peaks and use them for orientation, and start taking notice of the paths and crossroads.

This thread is such a collection of pussies whining about how the game is bad without even trying to take their time and explore it, take in what it shows them. Pathetic. Andthey treat the game with condescension, practically without having experienced it.

v1rus

Arcane

Yeah, whoever says the world lacks landmarks is most probably speeding from one marker to another and watching the minimap instead of the screen.

On my second playthrough, I deliberately turned off the minimap and just went about exploring Ard Skellig for about an hour. I did it because I felt that on my first playthrough I had rushed through Skellige and that was a pity because it had such a nice Scandinavian wilderness atmosphere. Once you turn off the minimap, pretty soon you learn to spot high peaks and use them for orientation, and start taking notice of the paths and crossroads.

This thread is such a collection of pussies whining about how the game is bad without even trying to take their time and explore it, take in what it shows them. Pathetic. Andthey treat the game with condescension, practically without having experienced it.

Well, it was me who said the world lacks landmarks, and im one of the folks praising the game to high heavens :p I also turned the minimap off. Granted, i did make it so it appears when i use my witcher sense, so, eh, I dont know. Perhaps landmarks is the wrong word, but, still, tldr - my fav zone in the base game was Kaer Morhen cause its such a big atmosphere change from the rest of the game. I still think the game would be stronger if it had more (but smaller) zones, akin to Kaer Morhen. Such a waste they missed stuff like Dol Blathanna, Mahakam, or real Nilfgaard.

passerby

Arcane
Halfway through the video he started reciting some anonymous letter, from disgruntled former emploee slandering his former boss.
While presenting it as his own "investigative journalism" *puke*, couldn't stand listenning to this asshole anymore at this point and closed the tab.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Well, it was me who said the world lacks landmarks, and im one of the folks praising the game to high heavens :p I also turned the minimap off. Granted, i did make it so it appears when i use my witcher sense, so, eh, I dont know. Perhaps landmarks is the wrong word, but, still, tldr - my fav zone in the base game was Kaer Morhen cause its such a big atmosphere change from the rest of the game. I still think the game would be stronger if it had more (but smaller) zones, akin to Kaer Morhen. Such a waste they missed stuff like Dol Blathanna, Mahakam, or real Nilfgaard.
Well, would you say that the Kaer Morhen area lacks landmarks?

v1rus

Arcane

Well, would you say that the Kaer Morhen area lacks landmarks?

Not sure. Day ago, I'd say so, but you and Perkel got me doubting it. To be more precise - Kaer Morhen has got that problem the least, cause its the smallest - what I thought by saying there are no landmarks was "too few landmarks for too big a map". Not saying its true tho, but both Velen and Skellige felt sorta "samey" to me- doesnt matter whether I was on Spikeroog or one of the other isles, It all felt the same, like one of "Skellige Isles", with very little to differentiate them visually. Perhaps landmark is a wrong word - one isle having a mountain and the other one a lake wouldnt fix the problem I was having. It was more akin to "lots of open space, small number of important/impressive/stunning/exceptional stuff"

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

I turned off the GPS on the map screen and played mostly without the minimap as it really heightens my awareness of the surroundings and the beauty of the landscape, since I actually have to actively read it as I travel.

It meant Velen was sometimes a little tricky to navigate since you're often in a forest without good sight lines, so you have to guesstimate your direction, use dead reckoning, and use the map to plan out what hills or roads you should come across after how long (and try to figure out where to go when you realize you're lost). So, for me that was really fun. Skellige was easier since it's more sparsely forested, the islands are smaller, and even on the largest island you're rarely that far from the ocean or a view of it.

Falksi

Arcane
I turned off the minimap, and all it really did for me is highlight how bad/none existent the quest directions are, and how the game is mostly designed around following that magic yellow blob.

Skellige was the best area of the game, and serves as a prime example of how much the open world elements hurt TW3's overall experience. Had it been broken down into several more bitesized, Skellige sized/style areas it would have been far less repetitive & dull.

Perkel

Arcane
What kind of problem is following roads ? Skellige doesn't have many roads and just following roads will get your somewhere. Skellige is even easier than vellen since you have mountains around and each of them is different and once you understand which island is which you will be able to navigate them without gps easily.

Velen is far more tricky since it has more wild areas but you can just follow road and you will get somewhere.

Aside from Vellen almost each area of map is different. Especially north of Pontar which have structures, fields etc.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Witcher 4 screenshots released

DOVj2ZUVoAAoqNN.jpg

Wow, can't even imagine how much work this mod took.

Really makes you appreciate how, for a Polish AA title from 2007, the English text and voice acting weren't half bad for the most part (although I'm aware that the localization was shit at release). Of course W2/W3 have much better VO direction and more natural sentence structure but W1 was a damn good first effort.

EDIT: Also its nice to see that many talented voice actors were retained throughout the series.
Peter Marinker (Thaler, Pellar, W1 Narrator), Bill Roberts (Vesemir) and obviously Doug Cockle are some of my favorites and its fun seeing how their acting improves throughout the series. It is a bit jarring to hear major characters like Triss and Radovid change voice actors but their W1 VOs weren't particularly good in the first place so the changes make sense. Although I do have a fondness for the brash, bratty W1 Radovid...

Last edited:

Nael

Arcane
Although I do have a fondness for the brash, bratty W1 Radovid...

That was the one standout lost VO actor I missed from W1. Radovid from W1 had a nasally quality that gave the impression of the character sneering despite a lack of adequate facial modeling in the first game. Then in W2 he was a completely different personality.

Although I do have a fondness for the brash, bratty W1 Radovid...

That was the one standout lost VO actor I missed from W1. Radovid from W1 had a nasally quality that gave the impression of the character sneering despite a lack of adequate facial modeling in the first game. Then in W2 he was a completely different personality.

I actually thought the two different portrayals both made sense in the context of their respective games.

In W1 we come closest to seeing the genuine Radovid. He is a kid with a massive chip on his shoulder Count of Monte Cristoing his way through the political ladder of the Northern Realms. Many critique his insanity/ruthlessness in W3 as being uncharacteristic of him but those people never played W1. I mean, you have to be pretty fucking ruthless to, as a head of state, single-handedly infiltrate the capital of another nation and start stirring shit up. Thus the nasally, brattish voice makes sense.

In W2 he is in the uneasy position of being the head of pretty much the only major northern kingdom that has its shit together, with everyone expecting/wanting things from him. He also inherited the command of a massive religious order and is forced to take the burdens of leadership of his own nation's army. He needs to make exactly the correct decisions to not only make it out of the crisis unscathed, but also to put himself into a superior position, which he ultimately achieves. Thus he is very sombre and tired - almost exhausted - when you meet him in the second game. The weight of the situation is evident in his voice acting.

Incantatar

Cipher
Bought this in sale and I can't say I'm impressed.

-recurring nested to the 10th degree fetch quest. "Do these one million things before I give you this one information so you can do the next one million things for npc2." This feels very unsatisfying. I think Geralt is a huge idiot to do all this useless shit, when he has a somewhat important objective.
-no real choices. Can't even play someone without emotions. And Witchers should be mostly without emotions.
-ciri scenes. I can skip other cut scenes, why do I have to literally play some cut scenes?
-brit accents. Normally I have 0 problems with this, but somehow the English voice over is frequently irritating. I have the feeling there are five actors for 300 NPCs. Should I have played in Polish?
-graphics are too glaring
-too much junk loot
-quest compass

+nice cities and other locations.
+good animations
+some stuff is well written
+tits and ass
+huge game
+good sountrack

/ more or less neutral about the rest.

It should be called interactive movie and not crpg. I like some of the scenes and parts are well written but I probably have more fun reading the books or watching a movie/tv version, if it existed.
I'm in early midgame. Should I continue or is it like this the whole way through?

2house2fly

Magister
It's pretty much entirely the same the whole way through, from quest design to combat. Just follow the main quest since as a storygame it's decent. Wander off to do some side quests when you feel a hankering for holding down the detective vision button and looking for a red blob.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Keyboard/mouse or controller? I used to be die hard k/m on every game but am coming to accept that may be stupid for these cross-platform games.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I can never understand why devs don't simply give roads names, have signposts, milestones, travellers and tollhouses that can give you easy to follow directions.

"You want the ruins of Clontarf Castle? Follow the old Ribbledale Road until you come to Ribblesby, turn north on to Tor Street and follow the path up into the hills. Clontarf looms over the area still and will soon be in view."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom