Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 - now with lootbox drama

Alexios

Augur
Patron
lol at developers making shitty cinematic trailers for shit games in the hope people will be dumb enough to think it's actual gameplay

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
Played for few hours. It's very pretty, but also much more chaotic than Battlefield. There's no way to set the objectives for the squad, so there's almost no squad gameplay. Some of the shooting feels little slow and the maps are too maze-like. It's still decently fun, in a brainless pew pew kinda way. Not entirely unlike the source material.

Dexter

Arcane
EA manages to beat the record of lowest rated Reddit comment ever with a x5 Multiplier:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBa...ously_i_paid_80_to_have_vader_locked/dppum98/
ea-battlefrontvzu19.png

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
The last game I bought that was "theirs" was from what was once Bioware, before they bought it, I'm fairly certain
Dragon Age - Origin?
Such underrated gem, nobody heard about it, even here.

@up
The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.
with the lootbox?
what a load of crocshit

Last edited:

Grif

Learned
The entire battlefront subreddit is filled with anti-EA posts now. Not a good day for their PR department.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Those downvotes are still counting.
Too bad EA will probably replace their model with a slightly less evil microtransaction model after which everyone will praise EA for listening to their users

Baron Dupek

Arcane
The entire battlefront subreddit is filled with anti-EA posts now. Not a good day for their PR department.
looks like the charm of free keys for closed alpha of Battlefront (to silent any criticism of aforementioned game on subreddit) worn out, how sad

Someone has now done an updated estimate to unlock all heroes and star cards to level 4 in game, It will take an estimated 4,528 hours of gameplay to unlock everything or you could just spend roughly $2100 on microtransactions.
That's not all. Some of the challenges require you to unlock one of the heroes first.
If you do every single challenge in the game, thats only enough to halfway unlock Luke/Vader.

I pity these people.
One may wonder when people like Obsidian and Larian reach that point of no return.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
EA responds to community criticism of Battlefront 2 unlock system
By Samuel Horti 14 hours ago

Players claim it takes 40 hours to unlock a single character.
Y6haKPT.jpg

Star Wars: Battlefront 2 Origin Access players have been making their voices heard over the game's unlock system ahead of its release next week. In particular, they've taken to Reddit to complain about iconic characters like Darth Vader being locked from the start as well as the length of time it takes to unlock characters.

One user calculated that because of the fact you earn in-game credits based on time played, rather than your score in a match, it will take up to 40 hours to earn enough credits to unlock characters like Luke Skywalker, who costs 60,000 (the cheapest character costs 20,000). Their calculations purely take into account credits earned during matches, not credits earned by completing challenges early in the game: eliminating your first five opponents earns you 1,000, for example.

"I understand these values don't include what you earn in challenges, but I am mainly doing this to figure out what it's going to be like after the first week and I am done chasing the easy challenges," the user said. "At the current price of 60,000 credits it will take you 40 hours of gameplay time to earn the right to unlock one hero or villain. That means 40 hours of saving each and every credit, no buying any crates at all, so no bonus credits from getting duplicates in crates." The user created a detailed spreadsheet showing how long it will take to unlock loot crates, too. Impressive work.

EA has responded to the claim on the Reddit thread. It says it is "looking at the results daily" for the time taken to earn credits and will be "continuing to tune this to ensure that players feel a meaningful sense of reward".

"We selected initial values based upon data from the Open Beta and other adjustments made to milestone rewards before launch. Among other things, we're looking at average per-player credit earn rates on a daily basis, and we'll be making constant adjustments to ensure that players have challenges that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable via gameplay." Click here to read the company's full response.

It also responded to a different thread started by a user who was angry at having paid $80 for the game only for Darth Vader to be locked behind the game's progression system. "This is a joke... this age of 'micro-transactions' has gone way too far," the user said.

EA responded in a similar way to the other post, adding that "the intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes".

"Our team will continue to make changes and monitor community feedback and update everyone as soon and as often as we can," it said. Read its full response here.

Battlefront 2 is due to release on Friday November 17. For more on exactly how the game's loot boxes and progression work, read Tyler's piece.

Another EA game another massive shit show

popcorn.gif

Last edited:

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I just checked a minute ago and it was at -249k. Went to pour a coffee and now it's at -253k.

Kitchen Utensil

People who still buy EA products don't deserve any better.
But boy, 300k downvotes, that will show them! *buys next EA title*

In the competition between Disney and EA to see who could kill the brand faster EA pulls out a rotary autocannon to play Russian roulette with.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
It's all an interesting development, but I am doubtful enough people will actually boycott the game. They will reduce the unlock times and prices just enough to claim a change has been made. The masses will then proceed to buy the game again. I will be watching the EA stock over the next while though, if it plummets, then we'll know what caused it.

EA has had this a long time coming though (along with other publishers). Will this break the camel's back of ridiculously expensive microtransactions and DLC? Doubtful, but who knows. As was noted earlier, their online server reliance for their games is still an absolute shit service regardless. Funny thing is, people may have more time on their hands than they used to, but many have less money. When your biggest time investors are those that don't make a lot of money, there is a point where they can't afford your garbage either, no matter how much they want it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There is far too many retards with money in this world. All i need in my life,is to see Kim hit the wallstreet with a nice EMP/NUKE.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I find it's interesting how people react to random loot boxes in computer games, when these existed in gaming for years. Like booster packs in Magic The Gathering. You buy a pack with random set of cards and you have no way to get card you really want by means provided by developer. You can exchange cards with other players of course, but sooner or later, to be competetive, you'd spend money on buying just that one card you really need... sometimes for a dollar, sometimes for 50$, but some can be more expensive.

But due to it being collectible card game, just like collecting any other random junk, I don't think people mind.

I find it's interesting how people react to random loot boxes in computer games, when these existed in gaming for years. Like booster packs in Magic The Gathering. You buy a pack with random set of cards and you have no way to get card you really want by means provided by developer. You can exchange cards with other players of course, but sooner or later, to be competetive, you'd spend money on buying just that one card you really need... sometimes for a dollar, sometimes for 50$, but some can be more expensive.

But due to it being collectible card game, just like collecting any other random junk, I don't think people mind.

It's a bit different in a lot of ways:
- Internet. You can play MTG with your friends and in a small community just fine. Most people probably do this. Playing computer games you're always matched up against players who spent way more money and will destroy you easily. EA fucking patented a system that tilts the normally random factors to reward players who just bought something powerful and encourage others to buy it.
- Effort. Physical cards are actually a thing that is cool to own and they all look and play distinctively. Lootbox items are reskins with some stats tweaked, an intern can make a dozen of them in an evening.
- Longevity. MTG is over 20 years old. (insert shitty AAA game of the week) is going to be dead in 6 months, at which point all those items are just bits on a hard drive that someone switched off.

passerby

Arcane
It's no diferent and an obvious inspiration for lootboxes. I was always amazed by this idiocy. MGT is original pay to win success businness story.

Computer games were free of this retardation for some time, so few who care are annoyed, while sheeple are happy to pay.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

"Don't blame EA, blame capitalism". A fair point, but his earlier tweet about either increasing regulation :lol: or making these practices unprofitable already hit the nail on the head. Consumers are sharing their opinions with EA and each other, and will hopefully back up their words by voting with their wallets. If they do this in large enough numbers to affect EA's bottom line the practice will become unprofitable. It's indeed "very challenging" with such a large entity. EA wasn't phased by topping the consumerist's worst company in America list in 2012/2013 because people kept buying their games regardless. Most of their income stems from sports franchises and those consumers generally don't pay attention to industry news/drama. They do, however, notice the dlc/microtransaction creep of the past decade. It's in the game. These are the whales that maintain EA's multi-billion dollar presence. They continue to boil slowly while EA cautiously increases the heat. Maybe they'll jump out of the pot at some point, maybe not. The free market at work.

Meanwhile we get free gibs lulz. -456k and counting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom